NFL

General Chatter
DMac

Re: NFL

Post by DMac »

njbill wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 12:01 pm Right or wrong, and I agree with some of the above points about quarterbacks, they are the NFL’s meal ticket. They are going to protect them. Can you imagine this year‘s playoffs without Mahomes, Allen, Jackson, etc.?

One thing I think they could do when quarterbacks slide is to have, say, a two step rule for defenders. When a quarterback has crossed the line of scrimmage, a defender should be permitted to take two steps after a quarterback begins his slide and not get penalized (sorta like the roughing the passer rule). The Josh Allen play, while spectacular to watch, points up the unfairness to the defense of the current rule. There are other ways to avoid a big hit, and quarterbacks need to learn to utilize them when they are running the ball past the line of scrimmage.
Yup, agree, QBs are a valuable commodity and need to be handled with a little bit of extra care. The extra care needs to come with equitable consideration though, the hint of a fake has to be a 15 yard penalty and loss of down, otherwise it leaves the defense helpless. The hesitation on the Allen TD can't happen, it's abusing the good intent of the rule.
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

DMac wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 4:50 pm
njbill wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 12:01 pm Right or wrong, and I agree with some of the above points about quarterbacks, they are the NFL’s meal ticket. They are going to protect them. Can you imagine this year‘s playoffs without Mahomes, Allen, Jackson, etc.?

One thing I think they could do when quarterbacks slide is to have, say, a two step rule for defenders. When a quarterback has crossed the line of scrimmage, a defender should be permitted to take two steps after a quarterback begins his slide and not get penalized (sorta like the roughing the passer rule). The Josh Allen play, while spectacular to watch, points up the unfairness to the defense of the current rule. There are other ways to avoid a big hit, and quarterbacks need to learn to utilize them when they are running the ball past the line of scrimmage.
Yup, agree, QBs are a valuable commodity and need to be handled with a little bit of extra care. The extra care needs to come with equitable consideration though, the hint of a fake has to be a 15 yard penalty and loss of down, otherwise it leaves the defense helpless. The hesitation on the Allen TD can't happen, it's abusing the good intent of the rule.
As much as I totally loved the run Josh made it does take advantage of the slide rule. Josh froze the defenders long enough to run right around them. I have a feeling the NFL will address the issue in the off-season. It sure as looked sweet if you are a Bills fan like myself. I suppose the tush push is quite the same. You know what the offense is about to do. If you need one yard it damn near impossible to stop.
I use to be a people person until people ruined that for me.
molo

Post by molo »

NFL is a qb league. Of the remaining teams, the top four play in the AFC. Mahomes has been the best qb in the league for the past several years, Jackson is almost certainly the MVP this year, and on a good day, Allen is the best in the game. Stroud will be rookie of the year and was in the running for MVP for a while. The NCF features an improving young qb, a pair of reclamation projects, and a “not just a game manager” who is just that on his good days. If they were to reseed based on power rankings regardless of conference, the top NFC team
would be fourth at best.
San Francisco could win it all if the AFC winner is too drained after a tough championship game. I’m obviously pulling for the Ravens, the most talented team, but like every Baltimorean, I remain cautious after the debacle of 2019.
molo

Post by molo »

NFL is a qb league. Of the remaining teams, the top four play in the AFC. Mahomes has been the best qb in the league for the past several years, Jackson is almost certainly the MVP this year, and on a good day, Allen is the best in the game. Stroud will be rookie of the year and was in the running for MVP for a while. The NCF features an improving young qb, a pair of reclamation projects, and a “not just a game manager” who is just that on his good days. If they were to reseed based on power rankings regardless of conference, the top NFC team
would be fourth at best.
San Francisco could win it all if the AFC winner is too drained after a tough championship game. I’m obviously pulling for the Ravens, the most talented team, but like every Baltimorean, I remain cautious after the debacle of 2019.
OuttaNowhereWregget

The meddling, needy Kraft's looking worse and worse

Post by OuttaNowhereWregget »

"Imagine what might happen if Bill Belichick signs on to coach the Cowboys

By Dan Shaughnessy Boston Globe January 16, 2024

It’s always about revenge here in New England, and we’ve seen this play out in dramatic fashion over the last week in Foxborough.

Bob and Jonathan Kraft are rolling out their new head coach (Jerod Mayo) Wednesday, but perhaps the larger story concerns the destination of Bill Belichick, who (along with Tom Brady) led the Patriots to nine Super Bowls in his 24-season run as head coach and emperor of the franchise.

Belichick already has interviewed with the Falcons, but there is a more intriguing possibility out there that he could take over the ready-to-win Cowboys, which would only escalate the personal war between the Krafts and the Hoodie, a dispute over credit, blame, legacy, and pro football immortality.

Can you imagine Belichick coaching Dallas and humbly telling Football America, “It’s nice to be working for a Hall of Fame owner”?

Bob — still desperately seeking the Canton induction that has eluded him — and Jonathan Kraft fired Belichick last Thursday, while making everyone insist it was “a mutual agreement to part ways.”

Since then, we’ve been bombarded by an anger-fueled fusillade of stories with anonymous sources assigning credit or blame to Bill and/or Bob and Jon.

There hasn’t been a local sports PR war like this since 1997, when Bill Parcells told us he wanted to buy the groceries and bolted in the hours after the Patriots lost Super Bowl XXXI to the Packers. This led to a border-war throwdown, forcing fans to choose sides in a Tuna-Kraft dispute that has not ended. Pro Football Hall of Famer Parcells still isn’t in Bob Kraft’s folksy Patriots Hall of Fame and probably never will be.

This is because Kraft wants everybody to think he invented the Patriots, even though that was actually the late Billy Sullivan in 1960. I saw evidence that Bob has successfully rewritten history in Sunday’s New York Times, where the third paragraph of a Belichick analysis explained, “The fortunes of the franchise began to change in 1994 when Robert K. Kraft … bought the team.”

No.

The Patriots’ fortunes forever changed when custodian owner James Busch Orthwein hired Parcells in January of 1993. That’s when the Patriots became NFL legit. Bob Kraft has been a great owner, but he did not hire the man who changed the franchise. Instead, he meddled (going behind Parcells’s back on draft day), ran Parcells out of town, and has spent the ensuing three decades rewriting that history.

And now we are seeing Tuna II.

I keep reading about how the firing of Belichick has enabled the Krafts to “take back their team.”

Swell.

It took Bob Kraft less than three hours to toss Belichick under the bus Thursday when he took questions (take note, John Henry) two hours after the phony photo op with Coach Bill. Kraft immediately planted the seed that everything that went down was Bill’s fault — especially when he told us that Belichick “had control over every decision, every coach we hire, the organization reports to him on the draft, and how much money we spend.”

That was it. Right there. According to Kraft, Bill was the one who cheaped out on payroll. Bill was the one who blew the draft. Bill was the one who botched the coaching hires. Shots fired. There was no mention of Kraft’s affinity for and promotion of Mac Jones and Bill O’Brien.

In subsequent hours, a series of pro-Kraft stories landed, all of them separating ownership from accountability for five seasons without a playoff win and 4-13 in 2023.

On Friday, ESPN dropped an account from Seth Wickersham and Wright Thompson outlining the depth of division between Bill and the Krafts. It was loaded with juicy tidbits designed to demonstrate hard feelings festering at Gillette.

According to the authors, after Brady won his Super Bowl for Tampa Bay the same year he left New England, Kraft said, “Bill had told me he couldn’t play anymore. And then he goes out and wins the [expletive] Super Bowl.”

The story held that Belichick told confidants “that Robert Kraft and his son, team president Jonathan Kraft, had eroded the culture he had built over two decades.”

It explained how “the Krafts were sensitive to the word around the league that they meddled and liked to be involved in football matters … sources said Jonathan created an urgency for his dad to be more involved.”

ESPN sources said that during the final years of Bob and Bill, Bob Kraft “put down Belichick at every opportunity” and that Belichick “refused to acknowledge [Jonathan Kraft] in the hallways and dismissed him as obsessed with optics.

“Word leaked around the office that if Belichick were gone in 2024, football operations would be split between Glaser [Robyn Glaser, senior VP of business affairs for the Kraft Group] and Jonathan Kraft.”

In the story, it’s noted that a Patriots assistant coach told a confidant, “The Krafts should be ashamed of themselves.”

In my opinion, Wickersham has done the best work of all reporters who’ve done books or documentaries on the Patriots dynasty. Many of the rest have been willing promoters of Kraft hagiographies. If you’ll tell Bob’s truth, you are granted access.

So here we are in Week 3 of January 2024: Bill is out, and fast-tracked Mayo is the Patriots’ new coach, promoted without any effort to comb the NFL landscape. Bob and Jonathan clearly think they have things figured out now that Bill is gone. It looks as if the Krafts may go into the all-important 2024 draft without having a new general manager. Jonathan Kraft — the Prince Charles of New England sports — apparently is finally ascending to the throne.

Meanwhile, we wait and wonder whether Cowboys owner Jerry Jones fires Mike McCarthy and maybe turns to Belichick.

Imagine Bill winning a Super Bowl for Hall of Famer Jerry Jones and the Dallas Cowboys?

While Bob and Jonathan take back their team.

Dan Shaughnessy is a Globe columnist. He can be reached at [email protected]"
old salt

Post by old salt »

Catching up on my dvr cache of games, I just watched the Dallas-GB game. The Packers are a better open field tackling team. They're not afraid to hit low. In their next game(s), watch how #'s 25, 26, 35, & 7 tackle
old salt

Post by old salt »

molo wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 8:21 pm If they were to reseed based on power rankings regardless of conference, the top NFC team
would be fourth at best.
For #3, I'm not sure I'd seed KC over SF, just yet. Next game will tell.
We're just discovering how good the young Packers & Texans may be.
njbill

Post by njbill »

I wouldn’t put too much stock in the results of this past weekend’s games. We see it all the time. A team has a very nice win in the wildcard round, and then loses in the next round.

My current rankings:

Ravens
Niners
Buffalo
Green Bay
KC
Detroit
Houston
Tampa
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
njbill

Post by njbill »

He’s lucky Todd Bowles is a classy guy. Can you imagine how Bill Parcells or Bill Belichick would’ve handled that question?
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

BB heading to Atlanta....maybe? And since anyone that worked or played with him seems to hint around that he's a racist, no better place than the dirty south.

I am a 40 plus year Falcons fan and he did whoop up on us in 2017, only after we blew a 25 point lead under Shanahan OC and Dan Quinn played to not lose. Oh yea.....Dan did a wonderful job for Dallas last week. :lol:
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
OuttaNowhereWregget

Post by OuttaNowhereWregget »

youthathletics wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 2:46 pm BB heading to Atlanta....maybe? And since anyone that worked or played with him seems to hint around that he's a racist, no better place than the dirty south.

I am a 40 plus year Falcons fan and he did whoop up on us in 2017, only after we blew a 25 point lead under Shanahan OC and Dan Quinn played to not lose. Oh yea.....Dan did a wonderful job for Dallas last week. :lol:
2nd interview with the Falcons. Sure looking that way. How do you feel about having him as Atlanta's next head coach?
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 8:17 pm
youthathletics wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 2:46 pm BB heading to Atlanta....maybe? And since anyone that worked or played with him seems to hint around that he's a racist, no better place than the dirty south.

2nd interview with the Falcons. Sure looking that way. How do you feel about having him as Atlanta's next head coach?
Honestly, don’t really care. I’d prefer he retire. I’m a big fan of hiring a coach and sticking with them for 7+ years as they build chemistry and navigate players and all financials. High turnover breeds inconsistency and people that don’t give a chit….bad locker room chemistry.
~Livy
molo

Post by molo »

Ravens, after a slow first half, steamroll the Texans, who never ran a play in the red zone. Media darlings San Francisco eke out a win over GB. Who wins today? I’ve got Detroit and KC but wouldn’t be surprised to see Buffalo win at home. The real NC game will take place here next week in what should be fairly warm weather. No matter who wins today, we’ll see two of the best three qbs in the league at M&T.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Always gotta have Lady Luck on your side to win it all, she helped the Niners out a little yesterday, pushed that Packers FG a little left and kept the door open for the Niners. I thought GB had 'em but the Niners were able to get done what they had to do. I like the Purdy story so I'm kinda pulling for them.

The Ravens and Jackson are a really tough out, would not surprise me to see them win it all. Kind of expected the Ravens to dominate the way they did in second half (expected to see it from the start of the game).

Chiefs get beat today, they just aint what they used to be and it's time. Josh and his boys are on a roll and looking tough. We'll see if the Chiefs' receivers can catch the ball today, have had an unbelievable number of dropped passes. As some of the commentators would say, Patrick is putting the ball right in they hands but nope, incomplete. Kelce's brain is too full to concentrate on football, being Taylor Swift's BF is just too consuming.
The real winner in this game is Kristin Juszczyk. How much can she charge these NFL wives for one of those jackets just like the one Taylor has (and it is a really nice looking jacket).
https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/n ... 221035007/

Lions are looking tough too, am pulling for the Bucs though. Pulling for Baker a little bit, it's a much more mature (long overdue) Baker these days and I'd like to see him get the W and move on.
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

DMac wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 11:59 am Always gotta have Lady Luck on your side to win it all, she helped the Niners out a little yesterday, pushed that Packers FG a little left and kept the door open for the Niners. I thought GB had 'em but the Niners were able to get done what they had to do. I like the Purdy story so I'm kinda pulling for them.

The Ravens and Jackson are a really tough out, would not surprise me to see them win it all. Kind of expected the Ravens to dominate the way they did in second half (expected to see it from the start of the game).

Chiefs get beat today, they just aint what they used to be and it's time. Josh and his boys are on a roll and looking tough. We'll see if the Chiefs' receivers can catch the ball today, have had an unbelievable number of dropped passes. As some of the commentators would say, Patrick is putting the ball right in they hands but nope, incomplete. Kelce's brain is too full to concentrate on football, being Taylor Swift's BF is just too consuming.
The real winner in this game is Kristin Juszczyk. How much can she charge these NFL wives for one of those jackets just like the one Taylor has (and it is a really nice looking jacket).
https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/n ... 221035007/

Lions are looking tough too, am pulling for the Bucs though. Pulling for Baker a little bit, it's a much more mature (long overdue) Baker these days and I'd like to see him get the W and move on.
Some people maybe most people are overlooking one important for the Bills. HC/ DC Sean McDermott is no novice when it comes to coaching defense. That is how he earned his chops in Carolina. His defense right now has been ravaged by injuries. He knows his players and will come up with a plan to slow down KC. They will not stop KC but he will make Mahomes life as miserable as possible. IMO that starts with not letting Mahomes get to the outside. Gotta keep him contained. Von Miller has been a huge disappointment for the Bills since getting healthy. He is a shell of the player he was just last year before he hurt his knee.
I use to be a people person until people ruined that for me.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Well, there's no joy in Bucsville tonight. Pretty tough ending for Baker but they put up a good fight and made it interesting.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Couldn't have been a whole lot more wrong about Kelce, definitely a factor in this one.
Good game, 20-17 KC early in the third.
njbill

Post by njbill »

I’m surprised. Thought Buffalo was going to win this game. I like Josh Allen, but that was a really bad decision/throw on third down. A receiver open underneath for the first down and a receiver open in the end zone for a touchdown. Was rooting for the Bills.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Yup, thought they were going to win too.
The spirit of Norwood lives.

Return to “GENERAL CHATTER”