Big Ten 2024

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Lax1887

Big Ten 2024

Post by Lax1887 »

Does anyone have information regarding which Big Ten games will be televised this year?
AreaLax

Re: Big Ten 2024

Post by AreaLax »

The broadcast done by the Big Ten network usually doesn’t get announced until close to conference play. OCC games are managed by the school. But who knows maybe under the new contract we may see more games

Post by 1766 »

I believe all Big Ten games were televised last year whether on ESPN or BTN.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

Lax1887 wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 10:24 am Does anyone have information regarding which Big Ten games will be televised this year?
https://bigten.org/news/2023/2/6/genera ... unced.aspx

last year feb 6, espn feb 1 so the week leading into the first/second week of games.

I'd expect Michigan to be featured more this year. They'll want to see if that dog can hunt ratings.
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

GaitsRightHand

Post by GaitsRightHand »

Big 10 Preseason Rankings and Player Watch List came out... https://bigten.org/news/2024/1/30/mens- ... onors.aspx

Interesting to see Gannon Matthews (CSU to OSU) listed as an attackman. When he originally decided on OSU they were listing him as a dmid.

Preseason Rankings:
1. Johns Hopkins
2. Penn State
3. Maryland
4. Michigan
5. Ohio State
6. Rutgers

Big10 is going to be a tough league
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

There are 3-4 teams with a legitimate claim to #1 to start the season. Very little separating Hopkins, PSU, and Maryland. Michigan is not far behind. Rutgers and OSU are in a tier below, but I expect both to be better than last year. The league is going to be a gauntlet and I would not be shocked if everyone was either 3-2 or 2-3 in conference. We'll know a lot more in a couple days though.
coda

Post by coda »

HopFan16 wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 3:21 pm There are 3-4 teams with a legitimate claim to #1 to start the season. Very little separating Hopkins, PSU, and Maryland. Michigan is not far behind. Rutgers and OSU are in a tier below, but I expect both to be better than last year. The league is going to be a gauntlet and I would not be shocked if everyone was either 3-2 or 2-3 in conference. We'll know a lot more in a couple days though.
I think that is dead on. There are going to be a lot of 1 goal games in the conference slate. Big 10 is the only conference that every team has made the tournament at least once in the last 2 years. Conference slate is going to be a blood bath, so it is very important to have a good showing in the non-con..
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

coda wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 5:01 pm
HopFan16 wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 3:21 pm There are 3-4 teams with a legitimate claim to #1 to start the season. Very little separating Hopkins, PSU, and Maryland. Michigan is not far behind. Rutgers and OSU are in a tier below, but I expect both to be better than last year. The league is going to be a gauntlet and I would not be shocked if everyone was either 3-2 or 2-3 in conference. We'll know a lot more in a couple days though.
I think that is dead on. There are going to be a lot of 1 goal games in the conference slate. Big 10 is the only conference that every team has made the tournament at least once in the last 2 years. Conference slate is going to be a blood bath, so it is very important to have a good showing in the non-con..
i thought even columbia made it in 2022?

Post by 1766 »

The OOC portion of the schedule is important but it's ultimately it's going to be about what happens in the conference. We saw that at Rutgers last year. 7-1 OOC with a lone L being a 1 goal loss to an eventual quarterfinal team in Army, then going 1-4 in conference after losing a central piece at attack after beating a top 10 Princeton team. The OOC is very important but the B1G perhaps even more so. Lots of opportunities to make statements.

Hoping for some big wins across board for all the Big Ten teams in the OOC games, then the fun begins. I can't see anyone going through the conference unscathed. I tend to agree with the above poster. A bunch of 2-3 and 3-2 teams. Home games are going to be big.

Post by 1766 »

The OOC portion of the schedule is important but ultimately it's going to be about what happens in the conference. We saw that at Rutgers last year. 7-1 OOC with a lone L being a 1 goal loss to an eventual quarterfinal team in Army, then going 1-4 in conference after losing a central piece at attack after beating a top 10 Princeton team. The OOC is very important but the B1G perhaps even more so. Lots of opportunities to make statements.

Hoping for some big wins across board for all the Big Ten teams in the OOC games, then the fun begins. I can't see anyone going through the conference unscathed. I tend to agree with the above poster. A bunch of 2-3 and 3-2 teams. Home games are going to be big.
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

To me, OSU is in the "prove it before I believe it" status. Based on history, it's also hard to trust Michigan, but they deserve credit. No complaints about 1-4. I think RU is closer to 4 than they are to 6. Both have hit the portal hard over the past couple of years, but RU's culture seem to me as an outsider better than OSU.

The B1G is going to be a gauntlet for sure, though.
The Orfling

Post by The Orfling »

GaitsRightHand wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 3:16 pm Big 10 Preseason Rankings and Player Watch List came out... https://bigten.org/news/2024/1/30/mens- ... onors.aspx

Interesting to see Gannon Matthews (CSU to OSU) listed as an attackman. When he originally decided on OSU they were listing him as a dmid.

Preseason Rankings:
1. Johns Hopkins
2. Penn State
3. Maryland
4. Michigan
5. Ohio State
6. Rutgers

Don’t say this that often but I think Maryland is underrated — I’m thinking of McNaney and Malever coming back; a great FOGO in Wierman; one of the country’s best defenders in Zappitello (Colin Burlace is also one to watch at close D); and guys like Erksa and Maltz and Spanos poised for highly productive seasons. And throw in one of DI’s top head coaches. I think when the dust clears they may be atop the Big 10; in part because I wonder how JHU and PSU will handle being favored. That target on the back can be a little itchy.

Should be a great season in the league.
Last edited by The Orfling on Thu Feb 01, 2024 9:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Orfling

Post by The Orfling »

Sorry duplicate!
DoubleD

Post by DoubleD »

The Orfling wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 9:26 pm
GaitsRightHand wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 3:16 pm Big 10 Preseason Rankings and Player Watch List came out... https://bigten.org/news/2024/1/30/mens- ... onors.aspx

Preseason Rankings:
1. Johns Hopkins
2. Penn State
3. Maryland
4. Michigan
5. Ohio State
6. Rutgers

Don’t say this that often but I think Maryland is underrated — I’m thinking of McNaney and Malever coming back; a great FOGO in Wierman; one of the country’s best defenders in Zappitello (Colin Burlace is also one to watch at close D); and guys like Erksa and Maltz and Spanos poised for highly productive seasons. And throw in one of DI’s top head coaches. I think when the dust clears they may be atop the Big 10; in part because I wonder how JHU and PSU will handle being favored. That target on the back can be a little itchy.

Should be a great season in the league.
I agree McCaney is an AA goalie and Malever should be a big time player for them this yr. Erksa and Spanos have some experience now too so should be even better this yr. I see them battling for a top 3 spot again. Maybe end up just outside at 4 or 5 but they could even end up in the top 3. McCaney alone coming back is huge. Big upgrade from last yr. Rupple should be ready to take over when he leaves and be much improved from last yr but the play of him last yr to McCaney is a big big upgrade.
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

I wondered with new TV contract if Peacock will show any games. They did the PLL for a couple years
PulpExposure

Post by PulpExposure »

1766 wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 6:55 pm
The OOC portion of the schedule is important but ultimately it's going to be about what happens in the conference. We saw that at Rutgers last year. 7-1 OOC with a lone L being a 1 goal loss to an eventual quarterfinal team in Army, then going 1-4 in conference after losing a central piece at attack after beating a top 10 Princeton team. The OOC is very important but the B1G perhaps even more so. Lots of opportunities to make statements.

Agree with you but for the non-con, it's important to schedule good teams. That 7-1 record included a OT win against Princeton (good) and Loyola (which looked great at the time, but Loyola fell off), but also games against teams like Marist, St. Johns, UMass, Stony Brook, or Utah. I honestly think a close loss to Army tells you way more about the level of Rutgers than a blowout win over a St Johns that didn't even win a game in 2023. Winning against them means...nothing, while at least the close loss tells you you're competitive to a pretty good team.

Contrast that to Maryland's 2024 schedule or Hopkins 2024 schedule, where there aren't any cupcakes. Hopkins going 6-2 or 5-3 against their 24 schedule would mean a lot more than that 7-1 record did, and will help their argument come NCAA tournament time. Even if they say they also went 2-3 in the Big 10...because it just gives more evidence that they can play and compete against other good teams.
coda

Post by coda »

The non-con is huge, because I do not expect major separation in the Big 10 this year. You remember a couple of years ago, when the ACC got 1 team and Ivy got 5 teams. Ivy had a great early showing in some tight games and the ACC disappointed. That bolstered the RPI for the Ivy in the tournament. Nobody outside of the RPI and committee thought Harvard was better than ND that year. I think that could be the same situation for the Big 10 this year. Big 10 plays well in the OOC and it is likely getting 3 at-large bids. Flounder and that number is 0-1. The Big got 3 at-large team last year and Rutgers OOC was part of the reason. Their strong showing increased the conferences RPI. You always have to take care of your business, but you also need to root for your conference mates to look good in the OOC (this goes for #2-#4 conference)

Post by 1766 »

PulpExposure wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 10:13 am

Agree with you but for the non-con, it's important to schedule good teams. That 7-1 record included a OT win against Princeton (good) and Loyola (which looked great at the time, but Loyola fell off), but also games against teams like Marist, St. Johns, UMass, Stony Brook, or Utah. I honestly think a close loss to Army tells you way more about the level of Rutgers than a blowout win over a St Johns that didn't even win a game in 2023. Winning against them means...nothing, while at least the close loss tells you you're competitive to a pretty good team.

Contrast that to Maryland's 2024 schedule or Hopkins 2024 schedule, where there aren't any cupcakes. Hopkins going 6-2 or 5-3 against their 24 schedule would mean a lot more than that 7-1 record did, and will help their argument come NCAA tournament time. Even if they say they also went 2-3 in the Big 10...because it just gives more evidence that they can play and compete against other good teams.
I agree in principle especially with a close loss to very good team saying more than a blow out against an also ran. Point being the B1G slate can't be ignored. Even with big OOC wins, if you go 1-4 in conference, you are likely out of the tournament.

Certainly some teams have better odds of winning the conference title but it would only really surprise me of Ohio St. did.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

coda wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 10:55 am

The non-con is huge, because I do not expect major separation in the Big 10 this year. You remember a couple of years ago, when the ACC got 1 team and Ivy got 5 teams. Ivy had a great early showing in some tight games and the ACC disappointed. That bolstered the RPI for the Ivy in the tournament. Nobody outside of the RPI and committee thought Harvard was better than ND that year. I think that could be the same situation for the Big 10 this year. Big 10 plays well in the OOC and it is likely getting 3 at-large bids. Flounder and that number is 0-1. The Big got 3 at-large team last year and Rutgers OOC was part of the reason. Their strong showing increased the conferences RPI. You always have to take care of your business, but you also need to root for your conference mates to look good in the OOC (this goes for #2-#4 conference)
the rpi did not think harvard was better than nd that year, the committee did. nd was 11. harvard was 13 or 14. duke was 7.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”