Salisbury 2024

D3 Mens Lacrosse
Jknows

Re: Salisbury 2024

Post by Jknows »

Big news out of Gull land, first former SU fb player named new Commanders fan and the season preview dropped for lacrosse with some interesting roster developments

Attack
Brown, Carozza and Strub moving from midfield to A. No mention of Wong

Midfield
First line of Dowd, Nestor and Bromwell
Second line of White, Sanchez (6th year?) and Keaton (remember him getting run in 2022 NCAAs and looking good)

Defense someone already captured a few days ago and sounds like Ransom locked up the net which was expected.
RE6ULATOR

Post by RE6ULATOR »

4-0 Berry in the first quarter at the Cannon school. Wish there was video…
DeepPocket

Post by DeepPocket »

RE6ULATOR wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 12:14 pm 4-0 Berry in the first quarter at the Cannon school. Wish there was video…
You’re wrong. Inside lacrosse has the scores flipped. 5-0 gulls. Go to Salisbury’s site for live stats.
MAC - The SEC of DIII lacrosse.
AbeFroeman

Post by AbeFroeman »

Laxwatch2007

Post by Laxwatch2007 »

There is video coverage of this game (no announcers) at https://events.local live.tv/events/137713.
Laxwatch2007

Post by Laxwatch2007 »

Any chance of Berknan subbing for his starters in the second half? If I was coaching that team all of my starters would be relaxing on the sidelines for the second half.
ShoreThingMD

Post by ShoreThingMD »

Big thank you to whoever manned the booth and provided the live stream. Regardless of the quality of lack of announcers, it was great to see the Gulls despite being a neutral site, this early in the season. Below are a few of my takeaways.

Attack:
-Strub (4,0) has taken the next step and looks poised to have a strong year as the newest addition at attack. He spent his summer playing box and is reaping the rewards of much of the defense's attention going to Jude Brown.
- Jude (2,5) was impressive as always, but he's not going to like reviewing some of the tape... A few silly turnovers and some point-blank opportunities that he didn't finish. By no means a bad game, but should make for a few laughs when reviewing film.
- Carozza (3,2) the definition of efficient and effective. 3 goals on 5 shots, 2 assists and no turnovers. The big boy (5'9" 255lbs) can move as well. All hustle on his rides.

Midfield:
- Dowd (3,2) is going to be a problem for everyone this year. Another strong showing and picking up where he left off last year.
- Bromwell (3,3) Coming off a strong championship game performance, Brice is going to force the rest of d3 to deal with another Bromwell for years to come.
- Nestor (2,0) rounded out the first line with another solid performance. Certainly one of the best 1st midfield units, if not the best.
- Dmids- Glushakow and Huffman both found the back of the net, but the entire unit played really well and was physical
- LSM - Stafford replaces Defazio at LSM and is set to have a nice sophomore year.

Defense
- Defazio former LSM of the year can also play close and up top when needed. created a fast break which led to an assist.
- McNemar - the Towson grad transfer is a nice addition to a team who saw 2 starters graduate. Physical, good stick, and quick burst.
- Stevenson - the 6'5" 210lb sophomore, really impressed. He has a unique blend of range, mobility and physicality that Berkman loves at close. Just look at last year with Ballard.

Goalie
- Ransom is the guy. Just a real steady goalie who sees the ball and field really well. However, he has some nice depth with ZJ, Back, and Sentowski (freshman from Mt. Lakes).

Other items of note;
- the last starter to record a point was Jude Brown with 9:04 left in the 3rd quarter when the score was 21-3. As I said in the past, Berkman is going to get what he needs out of a game and get his guys prepared for the next game. With that being said, the Gulls ran out the last 7+ minutes of the game without even attempting a shot.
- face offs were interesting... Despite winning the battle at the X 23-14, the Gulls had 3 face-off violations for penalties... Both face-off guys (Malamphy and McCarthy) recorded goals.
MVPiccoli

Post by MVPiccoli »

ShoreThingMD wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 9:02 am
Other items of note;
- the last starter to record a point was Jude Brown with 9:04 left in the 3rd quarter when the score was 21-3. As I said in the past, Berkman is going to get what he needs out of a game and get his guys prepared for the next game. With that being said, the Gulls ran out the last 7+ minutes of the game without even attempting a shot.
- face offs were interesting... Despite winning the battle at the X 23-14, the Gulls had 3 face-off violations for penalties... Both face-off guys (Malamphy and McCarthy) recorded goals.
That's one of the worst feelings, when the opposing team just passes it around. Beyond humbling. I know it's a lose-lose situation for the Gulls. Given the insane difference between the top and bottom of the division, I'm surprised the NCAA hasn't adopted something like the 10-run rule in baseball. If one team goes up by 20 then both head coaches/refs get to decide to have a running clock.
MrLax2U

Post by MrLax2U »

ShoreThingMD » Mon Feb 05, 2024 9:02 am
Big thank you to whoever manned the booth and provided the live stream. Regardless of the quality of lack of announcers, it was great to see the Gulls despite being a neutral site, this early in the season. Below are a few of my takeaways.
ShoreThingMD, Your detailed, insightful posts are much appreciated. Thank you.
Jknows

Post by Jknows »

MrLax2U wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 4:59 pm
Agreed on how nice it was to be able to watch that neutral site game. It made me think of the 2014 game against OWU played at Landon in DC.

It was technically OWU’s home game and the coach put in for accidentally put in the wrong date when scheduling the refs. Original refs failed to show up and the game was delayed a bit. I believe they got two replacements and one person in attendance (was a certified ref) served as the third man.

So again, thrilled they could do live stats and provide video
2laxers

Post by 2laxers »

Other items of note;
- the last starter to record a point was Jude Brown with 9:04 left in the 3rd quarter when the score was 21-3. As I said in the past, Berkman is going to get what he needs out of a game and get his guys prepared for the next game.
[/quote]

Actual last starter to score was Brice Bromwell with 5:49 left in the 3rd to make it 23 to 3. I do understand the part about coaches wanted to get out of games like this especially early in the season.
ShoreThingMD

Post by ShoreThingMD »

my mistake, his name got lost in between Blake Epstein's pair of goals at 8:11 and 5:12.
MVPiccoli

Post by MVPiccoli »

Jknows wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 5:43 pm
MrLax2U wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 4:59 pm
Agreed on how nice it was to be able to watch that neutral site game. It made me think of the 2014 game against OWU played at Landon in DC.

It was technically OWU’s home game and the coach put in for accidentally put in the wrong date when scheduling the refs. Original refs failed to show up and the game was delayed a bit. I believe they got two replacements and one person in attendance (was a certified ref) served as the third man.

So again, thrilled they could do live stats and provide video
I'll do you one better. NCAA First Round, 2004. Cabrini at Gettysburg. Warmups just about over. Coaches get a call from the NCAA. They sent the referee crew to Rutgers. Had to reschedule for the next day. Most DIII thing ever.
MrLax2U

Post by MrLax2U »

I missed the Grove City game. I thought Shahin was better than what the box score shows.
Laxguy703

Post by Laxguy703 »

MrLax2U wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 11:31 am I missed the Grove City game. I thought Shahin was better than what the box score shows.
I mean he has started 26 games in his career and has gone below 50% in almost half of them… He seems streaky and probably just had a bad day seeing the ball.
RE6ULATOR

Post by RE6ULATOR »

The boys are rolling already. Should be another quick tune up opportunity this Saturday vs Scranton before Gettysburg on the 24th. Big things to come.
D3LaxFan2

Post by D3LaxFan2 »

It was 15-2 going in to the 4th quarter. I can't imagine it has been a fun week for the Salisbury backups, after letting Grove City score 9 in the last 15 minutes.
RE6ULATOR

Post by RE6ULATOR »

D3LaxFan2 wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 9:37 am It was 15-2 going in to the 4th quarter. I can't imagine it has been a fun week for the Salisbury backups, after letting Grove City score 9 in the last 15 minutes.
Gotta cut teeth at some point. If they score 30 we hear they’re “running the score up,” if they don’t play the bench it’s “those guys sitting behind 5th years must be pissed,” if they play bench and they don’t hold a lessor foe to 0 then we hear this sort of stuff.

Grove City is a good team. The boys at depth are fine, learning, and happy have opportunity to see the field.
BigMoose9

Post by BigMoose9 »

RE6ULATOR wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 9:45 am
D3LaxFan2 wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 9:37 am It was 15-2 going in to the 4th quarter. I can't imagine it has been a fun week for the Salisbury backups, after letting Grove City score 9 in the last 15 minutes.
Gotta cut teeth at some point. If they score 30 we hear they’re “running the score up,” if they don’t play the bench it’s “those guys sitting behind 5th years must be ticked,” if they play bench and they don’t hold a lessor foe to 0 then we hear this sort of stuff.

Grove City is a good team. The boys at depth are fine, learning, and happy have opportunity to see the field.
He’s saying that Berkman will likely not be pleased with the backups performance and will treat the backups as he would the starters in the film room this week. Which probably won’t be an enjoyable experience for those guys, but a learning one.
BallHunt

Post by BallHunt »

BigMoose9 wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 11:51 am
RE6ULATOR wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 9:45 am
Gotta cut teeth at some point. If they score 30 we hear they’re “running the score up,” if they don’t play the bench it’s “those guys sitting behind 5th years must be ticked,” if they play bench and they don’t hold a lessor foe to 0 then we hear this sort of stuff.

He’s saying that Berkman will likely not be pleased with the backups performance and will treat the backups as he would the starters in the film room this week. Which probably won’t be an enjoyable experience for those guys, but a learning one.
Exactly. No offense from the the 2nd and 3rd line ups should be a little alarming. But it's SU.
poster formerly know as "wherestheslide"

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”