Salisbury 2024

D3 Mens Lacrosse
ShoreThingMD

Re: Salisbury 2024

Post by ShoreThingMD »

BallHunt wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 2:03 pm
BigMoose9 wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 11:51 am
RE6ULATOR wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 9:45 am
D3LaxFan2 wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 9:37 am It was 15-2 going in to the 4th quarter. I can't imagine it has been a fun week for the Salisbury backups, after letting Grove City score 9 in the last 15 minutes.
Gotta cut teeth at some point. If they score 30 we hear they’re “running the score up,” if they don’t play the bench it’s “those guys sitting behind 5th years must be ticked,” if they play bench and they don’t hold a lessor foe to 0 then we hear this sort of stuff.

Grove City is a good team. The boys at depth are fine, learning, and happy have opportunity to see the field.
He’s saying that Berkman will likely not be pleased with the backups performance and will treat the backups as he would the starters in the film room this week. Which probably won’t be an enjoyable experience for those guys, but a learning one.
Exactly. No offense from the the 2nd and 3rd line ups should be a little alarming. But it's SU.
ohh 100%, definitely not a fun week for the boys near the end of the bench.

On another note (regarding face offs), it appears that both Ham McPartland (senior) and MacKenzie Moreland (junior) are out for "an extended period of time" according to the broadcast. Fortunately, there is another Malamphy on the team as well as newcomer Jake McCarthy (originally committed to Merrimack)
MrLax2U

Post by MrLax2U »

I missed the Scranton game but the box score has Malamphy written all over it. Malamphy and the Scranton goalie that is. Without seeing the game I'm not sure if Declan Allen had a stand on his head performance or if he was the recipient of crisp passes from the Gull shooters. Grove City and Scranton are good teams on the upswing. For Gull fans next three week gauntlet will show how much Berkman has to go for # 14.
RE6ULATOR

Post by RE6ULATOR »

First real test for the boys this week. Calling Gulls 18-10
MVPiccoli

Post by MVPiccoli »

RE6ULATOR wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 9:55 pm First real test for the boys this week. Calling Gulls 18-10
Without knowing Berkman's recipe for these types of contests, where the Gulls lost the previous match-up, it's none-the-less magical.

Other than Stevenson in 2013, and the Bugs in 2015, I can't find a two game losing streak on their resume to any team. Taking the Gulls. They want their get back.
Laxxal22

Post by Laxxal22 »

MVPiccoli wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 10:23 am Other than Stevenson in 2013, and the Bugs in 2015, I can't find a two game losing streak on their resume to any team. Taking the Gulls. They want their get back.
Of all of the absurd Salisbury stats over the past 30 years this is one the most impressive imo.
Jknows

Post by Jknows »

A few years ago (I think during height of Covid) I tried to put together an excel doc of all Berkman’s losses (entered 2024 with 611-63 record at SU) and to see who owned the most victories against him. I wasn’t able to finish it due to finding coaches for teams on schools websites that don’t have the most accurate records/program history.

My assumption was it going to be Cantabene or JB Clarke
ShoreThingMD

Post by ShoreThingMD »

2009 comes to mind when the Gulls lost 4 games, 2 of those losses came to Stevenson. While it was never back-to-back losses to Stevenson, all 3 games were almost within a 30-day span. Oh back in the good ole days of the CAC....
MVPiccoli

Post by MVPiccoli »

ShoreThingMD wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 2:24 pm 2009 comes to mind when the Gulls lost 4 games, 2 of those losses came to Stevenson. While it was never back-to-back losses to Stevenson, all 3 games were almost within a 30-day span. Oh back in the good ole days of the CAC....
I sat that one, but since it wasn't 2 in a row, omitted it. Those Mustang/Gull CAC games were spectacular!
Jknows wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 1:45 pm A few years ago (I think during height of Covid) I tried to put together an excel doc of all Berkman’s losses (entered 2024 with 611-63 record at SU) and to see who owned the most victories against him. I wasn’t able to finish it due to finding coaches for teams on schools websites that don’t have the most accurate records/program history.

My assumption was it going to be Cantabene or JB Clarke
611-43. That. Is. Bananas.
Not Suitable

Post by Not Suitable »

ShoreThingMD wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 2:24 pm 2009 comes to mind when the Gulls lost 4 games, 2 of those losses came to Stevenson. While it was never back-to-back losses to Stevenson, all 3 games were almost within a 30-day span. Oh back in the good ole days of the CAC....
I remember at Cabrini in 2015 Salisbury came into town with a 4-3 record (losses to Lynchburg, Gettysburg, and OWU) and we thought it was going to be a cakewalk. Boy was that a rude awakening.
richard

Post by richard »

I don’t get the Salisbury offense for the last two years. When they run the offense through Brown life is so much easier for all the rest of the scorers who like to play one v one. When they don’t the scorers get points but have to work way to hard for them. Again this is a work in progress for Salisbury. 4 goals 1 assist is not what you want out of Brown. Give him the ball and let him run the show and quit being so selfish.
MarionBarry

Post by MarionBarry »

I don't disagree and I was thinking some of the the same things myself, but then I remembered the national championship game where Bromwell went off against a short stick and Nestor did as well. I think they trust everyone to win their matchup and will give the ball to the player they believe has the biggest matchup advantage. Today it was Bromwell.
richard

Post by richard »

Yesterday everything was from up top. At least mix it up some and, give the defense something to think about. There’s no doubt they can win playing it that way but why not make it easier on yourself. They scored 14 goals and I can count 4 that were gifts from G-burg. Play that game in two months and G-burgs young team can easily win it.
SouthieLax

Post by SouthieLax »

Laxxal22 wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 11:13 am
MVPiccoli wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 10:23 am Other than Stevenson in 2013, and the Bugs in 2015, I can't find a two game losing streak on their resume to any team. Taking the Gulls. They want their get back.
Of all of the absurd Salisbury stats over the past 30 years this is one the most impressive imo.
Very impressive. The current rivalry with Tufts is my favorite of the Berkman era. They’ve met 6 times since 2010, all in the NCAAs, with the teams alternating wins and 3-3 overall. If the pattern holds it would be Tufts with the next win.
ClaudeHenrySmoott

Post by ClaudeHenrySmoott »

richard wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 9:26 am Yesterday everything was from up top. At least mix it up some and, give the defense something to think about. There’s no doubt they can win playing it that way but why not make it easier on yourself. They scored 14 goals and I can count 4 that were gifts from G-burg. Play that game in two months and G-burgs young team can easily win it.
What a hater. 14-8 against a good team and the Gulls are always better day after day as the season goes on. Look at last year.

At least try and make it seem like you don’t want to discredit a solid early season win.
Jumbo

Post by Jumbo »

ClaudeHenrySmoott wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 12:48 pm
richard wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 9:26 am Yesterday everything was from up top. At least mix it up some and, give the defense something to think about. There’s no doubt they can win playing it that way but why not make it easier on yourself. They scored 14 goals and I can count 4 that were gifts from G-burg. Play that game in two months and G-burgs young team can easily win it.
What a hater. 14-8 against a good team and the Gulls are always better day after day as the season goes on. Look at last year.

At least try and make it seem like you don’t want to discredit a solid early season win.
agreed. wasn’t gettysburg ranked top 5? solid win for salisbury.
richard

Post by richard »

Jumbo wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 12:59 pm [quote=ClaudeHenrySmoott post_id=522363 time=<a href="tel:1708883316">1708883316</a> user_id=4718]
[quote=richard post_id=522303 time=<a href="tel:1708871187">1708871187</a> user_id=418]
Yesterday everything was from up top. At least mix it up some and, give the defense something to think about. There’s no doubt they can win playing it that way but why not make it easier on yourself. They scored 14 goals and I can count 4 that were gifts from G-burg. Play that game in two months and G-burgs young team can easily win it.

[/quote]
[/quote]

I’m not a fan of Salisbury lacrosse but if you take the time to read and understand what I wrote ……. Salisburys offense can be better than it already is if they would run things through Brown more often than they do. Against G-burg not much happened from X everything was 1v1 from up top. Their offense can be better. That does not detract one iota from the win vs G-burg. As far as the four goals referenced Bromley on a drive from the left top where he beat his man and awkwardly switched hands with his stick just hanging out there and no G-burg player as a backer. Then there was a pass to the crease when the Salisbury player turned his back and the pass went through the G-burg goalie and into The stick of an unsuspecting Salisbury player who dumped it into an empty net. Then Dowd shoots from 13 and follows his shot to the crease and gets garbage without being touched and two G-burg defenders standing and watching. And lastly Strub beating Barbera from behind where Barbera looks like he was in another world rather than playing defense. These were gifts and if you think this stuff wasn’t noticed you might want to be a fly on the wall in the Salisbury locker room.
MVPiccoli

Post by MVPiccoli »

Berkman has let that happen from time to time, where the hero ball thing takes place. It's not out of the realm of possibility that its intentional.

I don't know the name of their concepts, but some of the most effective offense I've seen is that big little rotation game the Gulls run out of a 2-3-1 on the alleys. Seems to give the 1 and 2 slide problems. Forces communication through multiple on ball and off ball picks. Must be a pain to play against.
Jknows

Post by Jknows »

I don’t disagree with you Richard, I think the 2023 season the moment everything clicked, came in the matchup against Cortland (Brown had 10 assists). Prior to that it was lot of hero ball (lost to Gettysburg, struggled with Lynchburg before a second half comeback and defeated a good YCP team). Hero ball is what disrupted the 2022 season and a major impact in 2021 championship against RIT.

Seemed like Saturday the plan was to give Brice Bromwell the green light from the jump. First several possessions he just went right at the shortie covering him so I assumed the staff liked that matchup for Brice (finished with four goals) and I assume the hope was that Brice would win and force Gettysburg to switch up coverage.
ClaudeHenrySmoott

Post by ClaudeHenrySmoott »

richard wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 11:05 pm
Jumbo wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 12:59 pm [quote=ClaudeHenrySmoott post_id=522363 time=<a href="tel:1708883316">1708883316</a> user_id=4718]
[quote=richard post_id=522303 time=<a href="tel:1708871187">1708871187</a> user_id=418]

[/quote]

I’m not a fan of Salisbury lacrosse but if you take the time to read and understand what I wrote ……. Salisburys offense can be better than it already is if they would run things through Brown more often than they do. Against G-burg not much happened from X everything was 1v1 from up top. Their offense can be better. That does not detract one iota from the win vs G-burg. As far as the four goals referenced Bromley on a drive from the left top where he beat his man and awkwardly switched hands with his stick just hanging out there and no G-burg player as a backer. Then there was a pass to the crease when the Salisbury player turned his back and the pass went through the G-burg goalie and into The stick of an unsuspecting Salisbury player who dumped it into an empty net. Then Dowd shoots from 13 and follows his shot to the crease and gets garbage without being touched and two G-burg defenders standing and watching. And lastly Strub beating Barbera from behind where Barbera looks like he was in another world rather than playing defense. These were gifts and if you think this stuff wasn’t noticed you might want to be a fly on the wall in the Salisbury locker room.
[/quote]

I notice everything you write about them that’s why I mentioned it. It’s always criticized because you are a hater. Berkman doesn’t need your help. That’s for sure. Again. Look at last year. I don’t need to be a fly on that wall. I’ve been part of the walls for years. They get better by the day. That has never changed and never will under his watch.
Last edited by ClaudeHenrySmoott on Mon Feb 26, 2024 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
richard

Post by richard »

Thinking back on it, Carozza being out might have had an affect on their game plan. He really solidifies the crease sets a good pick and handles the ball well in traffic.
Whether you like the offense or not.Malamphy gets them the ball and the defense is always strong.

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”