Salisbury 2024

D3 Mens Lacrosse
BigMoose9

Re: Salisbury 2024

Post by BigMoose9 »

Didn’t watch the game yesterday, but by the box score it looked like a trouncing. Not that it wasn’t expected. Big game on Saturday, probably the toughest team they have had to play yet with a familiar foe in CNU. Won’t have the home field advantage compared to all 3 games against them last year, but still expecting the Gulls to win this game nonetheless. Guessing they will lock off Andrew Cook like they did last year, which CNU didn’t seem to have an answer for. Could see them keeping it close but could also see the Gulls winning by 8+ goals based on the way both teams have been playing this year.
ChopMan23

Post by ChopMan23 »

BigMoose9 wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 1:16 pm Didn’t watch the game yesterday, but by the box score it looked like a trouncing. Not that it wasn’t expected. Big game on Saturday, probably the toughest team they have had to play yet with a familiar foe in CNU. Won’t have the home field advantage compared to all 3 games against them last year, but still expecting the Gulls to win this game nonetheless. Guessing they will lock off Andrew Cook like they did last year, which CNU didn’t seem to have an answer for. Could see them keeping it close but could also see the Gulls winning by 8+ goals based on the way both teams have been playing this year.
Give me the gulls 14-5
Laxguy703

Post by Laxguy703 »

ChopMan23 wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 1:28 pm
BigMoose9 wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 1:16 pm Didn’t watch the game yesterday, but by the box score it looked like a trouncing. Not that it wasn’t expected. Big game on Saturday, probably the toughest team they have had to play yet with a familiar foe in CNU. Won’t have the home field advantage compared to all 3 games against them last year, but still expecting the Gulls to win this game nonetheless. Guessing they will lock off Andrew Cook like they did last year, which CNU didn’t seem to have an answer for. Could see them keeping it close but could also see the Gulls winning by 8+ goals based on the way both teams have been playing this year.
Give me the gulls 14-5
I’m going 12-7 Gulls. I don’t think Salisbury will triple
Up the score against the Captains. CNU’s zone has caused trouble for Salisbur before and now that Hanway has finally had some time to rest his injury I believe the CNU defense can somewhat contain that potent Salisbury O. CNU has an edge at the faceoff dot as Cabannis has historically played really against the Gulls so I expect them to have the ball more.

The area where I think Salisbury will really separate themselves is their defense. Salisburys defense had the CNU O’s number last year with the Andrew Cook lock off. I don’t see a way where CNU can generate a ton of offense against the Gulls if they continue to lock #28.

Side note… In my opinion, I believe Defazio is the best defender in the country and I really hope Berkman lets him take Andrew Cook 1 on 1. I know it probably won’t happen but that would be pure entertainment since Andrew Cook has been the best Mid in the country these past 2 years.
MVPiccoli

Post by MVPiccoli »

If they lock Cook off, and make MT prove he's found a way around it, they should do it with someone other than Defazio. Work the switch if Cook gets his hands on the rock. I have to say though, I don't like the shut off. I get that it's a legitimate tactic; I just don't enjoy watching it. Not sure they even need to this year.
StevieUAlum

Post by StevieUAlum »

MVPiccoli wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 4:33 pm If they lock Cook off, and make MT prove he's found a way around it, they should do it with someone other than Defazio. Work the switch if Cook gets his hands on the rock. I have to say though, I don't like the shut off. I get that it's a legitimate tactic; I just don't enjoy watching it. Not sure they even need to this year.
Shutting boyden off won them a natty so....
MVPiccoli

Post by MVPiccoli »

StevieUAlum wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 9:03 pm
MVPiccoli wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 4:33 pm If they lock Cook off, and make MT prove he's found a way around it, they should do it with someone other than Defazio. Work the switch if Cook gets his hands on the rock. I have to say though, I don't like the shut off. I get that it's a legitimate tactic; I just don't enjoy watching it. Not sure they even need to this year.
No doubt and Tufts wasn't ready to solve it either. I wonder what goes through the minds of these staffs prepping for the Gulls? You know Berkman's spent time studying tendencies and has the roster to execute his adjustments in the tourney. You have to stay true to the sets and packages that got you there. Wesleyan did it in 2018 with that zone executed to perfection, that didn't catch him sleeping but it's super tough to prepare for... Cabrini had a couple players go unconscious in 2019. RIT benefited from an untimely penalty and a quick restart. You have to get lucky and something has to be really special.
StevieUAlum

Post by StevieUAlum »

MVPiccoli wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 10:05 pm
No doubt and Tufts wasn't ready to solve it either. I wonder what goes through the minds of these staffs prepping for the Gulls? You know Berkman's spent time studying tendencies and has the roster to execute his adjustments in the tourney. You have to stay true to the sets and packages that got you there. Wesleyan did it in 2018 with that zone executed to perfection, that didn't catch him sleeping but it's super tough to prepare for... Cabrini had a couple players go unconscious in 2019. RIT benefited from an untimely penalty and a quick restart. You have to get lucky and something has to be really special.

Can't say I disagree with logic of having to get a little bit lucky. Was fortunate enough to get a ring in 13' over RIT, our FOGO at the time went unconscious and won every faceoff in the 4th. 13-10 deficit turned into a 16-14 win.

I think Berkmans advantage lies in the fact that he's simply seen it all and can adjust on the fly to any situation/scenario. It very much helps that he has compiled one of his stronger rosters over the last 2-3 years. 21' he was a boneheaded push in the back away from winning another.
MVPiccoli

Post by MVPiccoli »

StevieUAlum wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 10:20 pm
MVPiccoli wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 10:05 pm

Can't say I disagree with logic of having to get a little bit lucky. Was fortunate enough to get a ring in 13' over RIT, our FOGO at the time went unconscious and won every faceoff in the 4th. 13-10 deficit turned into a 16-14 win.

I think Berkmans advantage lies in the fact that he's simply seen it all and can adjust on the fly to any situation/scenario. It very much helps that he has compiled one of his stronger rosters over the last 2-3 years. 21' he was a boneheaded push in the back away from winning another.
That's dope! Thanks for sharing. Spot on. I forget the goalie Dad for the Gulls that used to post regularly back in the day. Kid was a back-up and then went off in the tournament. He gave an analysis of Berkman's in game adjustments, first hand observation style. It was eye opening.
MVPiccoli

Post by MVPiccoli »

Missed the CNU game. Little League baseball is in full swing. Did they run a shut-off on Cook? Just curious.
Laxguy703

Post by Laxguy703 »

MVPiccoli wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 2:54 pm Missed the CNU game. Little League baseball is in full swing. Did they run a shut-off on Cook? Just curious.
They did for the majority of the first half. He would pick the ball up off of end line, but the Gulls would have a pole switch on him and slid almost immediately which lead to contested shots that went off cage.

They moved him down to attack for the 3rd quarter and Salisbury let #99 guard him but Cook scored 3 and they went back to shutting him off.

Until CNU proves they can beat Salisbury’s Defense without Cook dodging, Salisbury is probably going to keep shutting him off.
MrLax2U

Post by MrLax2U »

Streamed a bit of WOTS today and looked at the Box Score afterwards. Deja Vue all over again as 2019 flashed before me. Gulls 14 – 0; WAC 6-7 coming in. For the Sho-men Casey Grieves and GK Chris Del Rosario – who didn’t just stand on his head – his hair was on fire. For the Gulls Melton and Ferrara. Read the stats. Gulls 2OT win.

Hopefully today will give WAC the confidence they need to finish their season with a flourish.

For the Gulls I hope it’s a wake-up call for them to return to basics and grind down their opponents play by play.
kirbysmart14

Post by kirbysmart14 »

Agreed, what an exciting game down in Salisbury.

It did show flashes of the 2019 game especially towards the 4th quarter.

Although it pains me to say, I still expect you all to repeat in 2024. Dowd, Nestor, Bromwell, DeFazio are too big and skilled.
dirtybird77

Post by dirtybird77 »

Close call for the Gulls. Outscored by WAC 6-5 across the final 3 quarters. Should serve as a wake up call.
MrLax2U

Post by MrLax2U »

Unread post by kirbysmart14 » Sat Apr 13, 2024 6:34 pm
Although it pains me to say, I still expect you all to repeat in 2024. Dowd, Nestor, Bromwell, DeFazio are too big and skilled.
If the Gulls win the 2024 NC, it'll be thanks to Ranson and DeFasio (and Berkman). After today's performance. IMHO
Backlax

Post by Backlax »

A few thoughts on the Gulls.

For good or bad:
They play to the level of their competition. Winning comfortably, really not blowing anyone out.
They are virtually better position by position than everyone they play.
They are a team of individuals. 1v1 defense is steller, team, and transition defense not so much(definitely missing Ben S. on the sideline).
I miss the days of inbound plays, pick-the-picker, and off-ball screens. Gone is the mantra of "we want dunks, not 3 pointers"
Virtually no ball movement - find their matchup, go to the goal and shoot. I haven't looked, I would think the team shooting % is pretty low.
The second team gets torched almost every time they get minutes.
I believe that Brown is a very good player - a top D1 attackman,(as some have said) doesn't go O-fer against a 3-9 rival.
They have the best HC on any level in all of lacrosse.

That being said - the Gulls are definitely the hands-down favorite to win it all over Memorial Day weekend.
Backlax

Post by Backlax »

Gulls dismantle SMCM. Hawks not ready for prime time. Unfortunate they joined such a low-level league. Gulls gearing up for the third season.
MVPiccoli

Post by MVPiccoli »

If your definition of prime time is the ability to create a competitive outcome/close game with the Gulls, there aren't but two or three of those at this level, and they appear to be situated in the north. Maybe the Garnet if everything went their way down south.

In some ways, I wonder if your roster craves more, in terms of real tests. The WAC game gives Berkman something to point to in terms of complacency the rest of the way. Doubtful Brown will be held in check/have such an off shooting day again.

When Cabrini won at the Linc in 19 we were in the concession lines at halftime enjoying some great convos with the Amherst faithful. Awesome group of people BTW. We were chatting, to paraphrase they were happy to see anybody but Salisbury make it through. Not for a better chance to win, but the saturation factor. It's boring when the same team wins all the time. While I agreed, I said it seems to take a down year (as if you guys ever really have them) and a coaching staff/team that has something really special going. And those two things don't normally happen the same season for a lot of programs.

Anyway, I'm a fan of excellence and continue to appreciate the outputs of your young men. Will post a note on here closer to the Cavs game to thank you all properly.
Frank Rizzo

Post by Frank Rizzo »

Backlax wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:14 pm Gulls dismantle SMCM. Hawks not ready for prime time. Unfortunate they joined such a low-level league. Gulls gearing up for the third season.
Go look at their out of conference schedule. Lets not forget how many grad transfers, D1 transfers, and kids in their 6th year still playing lacrosse on your roster
EastCoastLax664

Post by EastCoastLax664 »

Backlax wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:14 pm Gulls dismantle SMCM. Hawks not ready for prime time. Unfortunate they joined such a low-level league. Gulls gearing up for the third season.
Nobody seems ready for Salisbury in 2024. As for the low-level league, there was no other option at the time they joined the United East. I would argue it is better to win the UE every year, go to NCAAs, have a strong OOC schedule, rather than finish 3rd in the CLC every year.
EasternShoreLaxGuy

Post by EasternShoreLaxGuy »

Frank Rizzo wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 8:47 am
Go look at their out of conference schedule. Lets not forget how many grad transfers, D1 transfers, and kids in their 6th year still playing lacrosse on your roster
Go read CNU's thread. Clearly grad transfers and people doing what the NCAA almost encouraged back in 2020 is something that can be a plus or a minus. Not fair to blame SU for playing the game of eligibility the right way. Do you want Berkman to tell guys they aren't allowed to play for him because they are choosing to grow up at 23 instead of 22? Doubt any 5th or 6th year has lost opportunities to get a job after choosing to compete for one more year. And yesterdays outcome would've been the same if the older guys sat. St. Mary's doesn't have many guys making SU's roster

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”