D3 Mens Lacrosse
ChopMan23

Re: Salisbury 2024

Post by ChopMan23 »

laxdad1434 wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:33 pm
Laxattackjack wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:30 pm
laxdad1434 wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:25 pm
ChopMan23 wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:36 pm
nevadajoe wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:05 pm Longtime follower of D3 lacrosse and I have watched a lot of games. Just watched the Salisbury-Catholic game.

Jude Brown is one of the best players I have ever watched.
One of, if not the, best player I came across in D3. He was the sole reason we lost to St Marys twice, ungradable and a true QB. Makes every player around him better. Its great seeing players like himself win a national title. He made almost every pole on our WAC team fall over the back of the net.
My son was on him last year, has him again this year. He said there is no way to explain how hard it is. He said his ego and legs are still sore from last year. Brown the best player in D3, and would start on most, if not all D1 teams.
he might also be the oldest D3 player.
How old is he?
I
I think he graduated hs in 2018
laxdad1434

Post by laxdad1434 »

ChopMan23 wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:44 pm
nevadajoe wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:05 pm Longtime follower of D3 lacrosse and I have watched a lot of games. Just watched the Salisbury-Catholic game.

One of, if not the, best player I came across in D3. He was the sole reason we lost to St Marys twice, ungradable and a true QB. Makes every player around him better. Its great seeing players like himself win a national title. He made almost every pole on our WAC team fall over the back of the net.
My son was on him last year, has him again this year. He said there is no way to explain how hard it is. He said his ego and legs are still sore from last year. Brown the best player in D3, and would start on most, if not all D1 teams.
How old is he?
I
With the Covid rules, I would think there’s quite a few 2018 HS grads still playing.
ChopMan23

Post by ChopMan23 »

laxdad1434 wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:02 pm

How old is he?
I
With the Covid rules, I would think there’s quite a few 2018 HS grads still playing.
Definitely
StevieUAlum

Post by StevieUAlum »

ChopMan23 wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:23 pm
laxdad1434 wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:02 pm

How old is he?
I
Definitely
Brown had a Covid year and his current year is for an injury during his freshman/sophomore year I believe. (The knee brace on the left knee) since about 2020 when he was as St. Mary's.

Solid family line of lacrosse players. Played with his two brothers at Stevenson and the youngest brother is Jacksonvilles leading scorer this year starting on attack.
Backlax

Post by Backlax »

I'm a huge Sals fan - people need to pump the brakes on the Jude Brown D1 talk. He's a very good player and helps Salisbury. He's not a high-level D1 player. It does him a huge disservice to try and put him in that category. Excellent D3 and a solid AA candidate. He will hopefully win another ring to end an awesome career.
SouthieLax

Post by SouthieLax »

Backlax wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:02 pm I'm a huge Sals fan - people need to pump the brakes on the Jude Brown D1 talk. He's a very good player and helps Salisbury. He's not a high-level D1 player. It does him a huge disservice to try and put him in that category. Excellent D3 and a solid AA candidate. He will hopefully win another ring to end an awesome career.
Wrong.
StevieUAlum

Post by StevieUAlum »

Backlax wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:02 pm I'm a huge Sals fan - people need to pump the brakes on the Jude Brown D1 talk. He's a very good player and helps Salisbury. He's not a high-level D1 player. It does him a huge disservice to try and put him in that category. Excellent D3 and a solid AA candidate. He will hopefully win another ring to end an awesome career.
He was a High Point commit coming out of John Carroll and was ranked by IL coming out of HS. Ended up being a non-qualifier and chose St Mary's.

Plenty of D3 studs games translate to D1. Boyden is a 1st line midfielder at UVA.

Have some perspective.
Laxattackjack

Post by Laxattackjack »

StevieUAlum wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:07 am
He was a High Point commit coming out of John Carroll and was ranked by IL coming out of HS. Ended up being a non-qualifier and chose St Mary's.

Plenty of D3 studs games translate to D1. Boyden is a 1st line midfielder at UVA.

Have some perspective.
most people that don’t think brown is a top caliber player (and could start on 80% of D1) are not being realistic. most starters on the top 20 D3 programs also had several D1 schools that wanted them.
nevadajoe

Post by nevadajoe »

richard wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:06 pm

Hey Nevada, don’t say that too loud.

I agree he is the best player both this year and last. Great stick, smart, but what amazes me is that he is so calm with the ball and never rattled.
Let me clarify. One of the best D3 players I have ever watched.
Backlax

Post by Backlax »

I certainly didn't, and don't think anyone is saying he's not a top-caliber player. Crafty around the goal and an excellent stick, very good vision and feeder. He's now on a team with some of the best players in D3, let alone the all-time winningest coach on any level. I believe he was a 3rd team or HM while at SMCM and a 3rd team last year. Definitely worthy, but not leading me to believe that translates to a top D1 player. Also not sure that High Point is in the top 20% of D1 teams.
Backlax

Post by Backlax »

"The Tewaaraton Foundation has announced the second round of additions to the 2024 Tewaaraton Award Men’s and Women’s Watch Lists. The lists include the top players across all three divisions of NCAA lacrosse and highlight the early contenders for this year’s Tewaaraton Award"

Congratulations to John DeFazio, Salisbury – Sr., Defense, being added in the second round.
laxdad1434

Post by laxdad1434 »

Backlax wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:56 pm I certainly didn't, and don't think anyone is saying he's not a top-caliber player. Crafty around the goal and an excellent stick, very good vision and feeder. He's now on a team with some of the best players in D3, let alone the all-time winningest coach on any level. I believe he was a 3rd team or HM while at SMCM and a 3rd team last year. Definitely worthy, but not leading me to believe that translates to a top D1 player. Also not sure that High Point is in the top 20% of D1 teams.
Watch him play.
Backlax

Post by Backlax »

I think I have ok perspective - I've watched most of Salisbury's games over the past years, missing a handful. I typically watch 3-4 D3 games a week along with a number of D1 and occasionally a high-ranked D2 game each week.

As it relates to Jack Boyden that another poster brought up - this was his senior season:

Iroquois National Outstanding Player of the Year
Lt. Col. J.I. Turnbull Outstanding Attackman of the Year
USILA First Team All-American
IMLCA Offensive Player of the Year
NEILA Division III All-New England First Team
NESCAC Player of the Year
Recorded a Tufts single-season record 157 points with 69 goals and 88 assists
His 88 assists are also a program record

Yes - that translates to playing at UVA.

It's ok to have a different opinion.
richard

Post by richard »

There are guys who stand out, you see them play for ten minutes and you know. Brown is one. I can’t claim to have seen them all but you can include Jimmy Daily and Steve Kazimer from Stevenson, Brian Cannon from Dickinson and Conor Healey from SLU. There are a lot of different styles of play but guys that have the magic are pretty easy to spot.
Laxattackjack

Post by Laxattackjack »

Backlax wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:13 pm "The Tewaaraton Foundation has announced the second round of additions to the 2024 Tewaaraton Award Men’s and Women’s Watch Lists. The lists include the top players across all three divisions of NCAA lacrosse and highlight the early contenders for this year’s Tewaaraton Award"

Congratulations to John DeFazio, Salisbury – Sr., Defense, being added in the second round.
as good as Brown is…. i guess the general voting public doesn’t seem him as a top player (at least in regards to this award). doesn’t take anything away from him. i think he is a great players and could easily make an impact on almost any team.
Leonard Washington

Post by Leonard Washington »

nevadajoe wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:36 pm Let me clarify. One of the best D3 players I have ever watched.
Paging Sam Bradman and Matt Cannone 8-)

Looking forward to the game this year against CNU, especially at the face off X
First of all, ya better check your tone. I dont think you know who you're talking to. I'm Leonard Washington...I don't get butt naked for nobody!!
Jknows

Post by Jknows »

Bradman was a Hobart recruit and decided to switch to SU prior to leaving high school. Cannone was at University of Delaware for fall ball and transferred to SU for the spring semester.

I got to watch most of their careers and think they are in the conversation for best SU players, but I think it’s behind Coffman, Kylor Berkman and Eric Martin.
Backlax

Post by Backlax »

The list of outstanding players who have put on the Maroon and Gold is long and distinguished. From the 94-95 era, I would add McQueeney(3x first team, 3x defensemen of the year) and Jake Bergey(3x first team and 95 Midfielder of the year). Mike Esham(3x first team defensemen), and Kevin Hohner(2x AA) just missed grabbing a championship graduating in 93.

Side note on Coffman, who is hands down the GOAT at Salisbury(along with Coach Berkman). His 451 pts. were the record until Ferrara broke it in the 2023 season. Coffman played from 93 to 96, winning back-to-back National Championships and going undefeated both years. His four year record at Salisbury was 60 -2. He was a 4x first team and 2x player of the year. Ferrara played 6 seasons at Salisbury with a record of 109-11. If you remove the 2020 season(shortened), Coffman would still hold the scoring record.

Eric Martin - 100% pure beast.

Might be a fun exercise to put together an All-Time Salisbury team.
MVPiccoli

Post by MVPiccoli »

Jake AND Josh Bergey, when they put their heads down, OMG man. Jeff Bigas was outstanding. Eric Martin was from another planet. Bradman never really "wowed" me from the stands. IDK. His numbers were outstanding, and he diced up the defenses I watched him play, but he wasn't physically imposing and his creativity led to a lot of turnovers IMO. Not hating. Kylor was a complete lacrosse player, maybe the most complete I've ever seen play.
ChopMan23

Post by ChopMan23 »

Have to give recognition to Kyle Tucker from 15-18. That guy was able to put anyone out on an island. One of the better defenders I got to watch play in person

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”