D3 Mens Lacrosse
Pegasus6

Re: Liberty League 2024

Post by Pegasus6 »

Wow IC played RPI to a close one.
Laxfan1414

Post by Laxfan1414 »

Pegasus6 wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 3:14 pm Wow IC played RPI to a close one.
RPI up 7-2 at half time. Let Ithaca back in the game. Failed clear at the end almost cost them the game in regulation. Doesn’t seem sustainable. I will not be surprised when RPI drops a couple of these remaining games against solid teams.
ICGrad

Post by ICGrad »

Laxfan1414 wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 12:13 am
While the RIT Tigers are the undisputed Kings of the Liberty, I find it interesting that RPI has had the only relative success vs RIT compared to the rest of the conference.

Curious on hear others opinions on the topic? Would love to see RIT dethroned this year (though I still think it is overwhelmingly theirs to lose) and hoping the Engineers are the team to do it!
I find it interesting that while RPI was struggling to put away a mediocre Ithaca team (maybe there was a bit of a hangover from the RIT upset?), RIT was absolutely dominating a Vassar team that comfortably beat said Ithaca team just a week ago. 30-4? Really?!? Talk about a statement...

In other words, RPI's upset win notwithstanding, RIT is still the class of the LL, and I fully expect them to be hoisting the conference tourney trophy at the end of the season, just as I fully expect to see them playing come Memorial Day.
HomerCoach

Post by HomerCoach »

ICGrad wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 12:41 pm
Laxfan1414 wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 12:13 am
While the RIT Tigers are the undisputed Kings of the Liberty, I find it interesting that RPI has had the only relative success vs RIT compared to the rest of the conference.

Curious on hear others opinions on the topic? Would love to see RIT dethroned this year (though I still think it is overwhelmingly theirs to lose) and hoping the Engineers are the team to do it!
I find it interesting that while RPI was struggling to put away a mediocre Ithaca team (maybe there was a bit of a hangover from the RIT upset?), RIT was absolutely dominating a Vassar team that comfortably beat said Ithaca team just a week ago. 30-4? Really?!? Talk about a statement...

In other words, RPI's upset win notwithstanding, RIT is still the class of the LL, and I fully expect them to be hoisting the conference tourney trophy at the end of the season, just as I fully expect to see them playing come Memorial Day.
Weather, goalie play, timely FO wins all went RPI's way that day; combined with familiarity of the opponent and home field...RPI did what they had to do that day.
I also believe RIT is still the class of the LL.
Bridgerbowl

Post by Bridgerbowl »

Surprised no one has mentioned rpi using double ssdm lock off on rits gaston and pilcher, could they hang with them any other way?
Laxfan1414

Post by Laxfan1414 »

Who is saying RIT isn’t the class of the Liberty League?

RIT, Tufts or Salisbury will win NC this year barring massive upset. The rich stay rich.

Just find it interesting that no other team besides RPI has been able to steal one vs the tigers. Coaching? Home field advantage? Plain dumb luck
BallBag

Post by BallBag »

Man, what’s with the hatred for RPI? You know, it’s funny… the team beats them 2 out of 3 times in the regular season the past three years as the underdog. Granted, RIT has been dominate in all of D3 lacrosse but to dismiss RPI and what they have done is laughable and juvenile in a way. If you’re a lacrosse fan, one would say to themselves, wow, not really “dumb luck.” There is something here. To blame the weather? Hahaha.. cmon, RIT weather is worse than Troy, NY….. You must have not been there to see the game because you’re right.. RIT was simply out coached. Say what you want…. It was also the lowest scoring total for RIT in 7 years.
They score 30 yesterday and oh boy, RIT is back? Hahah… again, coaching says RPI could have scored 30 on Vassar too but recognizes the rest of the teams puts work in all week too. To me? Scoring 30 after a loss says nothing. RPI escaped yesterday yes, but a W is a W coming off a big win.
Laxfan1414

Post by Laxfan1414 »

BallBag wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 5:30 pm Man, what’s with the hatred for RPI? You know, it’s funny… the team beats them 2 out of 3 times in the regular season the past three years as the underdog. Granted, RIT has been dominate in all of D3 lacrosse but to dismiss RPI and what they have done is laughable and juvenile in a way. If you’re a lacrosse fan, one would say to themselves, wow, not really “dumb luck.” There is something here. To blame the weather? Hahaha.. cmon, RIT weather is worse than Troy, NY….. You must have not been there to see the game because you’re right.. RIT was simply out coached. Say what you want…. It was also the lowest scoring total for RIT in 7 years.
They score 30 yesterday and oh boy, RIT is back? Hahah… again, coaching says RPI could have scored 30 on Vassar too but recognizes the rest of the teams puts work in all week too. To me? Scoring 30 after a loss says nothing. RPI escaped yesterday yes, but a W is a W coming off a big win.
To your point, RPI up 14-1 at half vs vassar. Pointing to a 30-4 drubbing by RIT is uninformed. SHD does a good job of getting the entire team in, pays future dividends. Comparing scores in Wins and Losses is a suspect way of determining who is the better team.

Anyone watching that RPI-RIT game has to concede that without Perry’s otherworldly performance, RPI doesn’t win. Goalkeeper is a huge part of the team, and I think RPI has the better one, but not sure if he can repeat consistently. I worry about the RPI’s sloppiness on clears. Not championship winning lacrosse.
ICGrad

Post by ICGrad »

BallBag wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 5:30 pm Man, what’s with the hatred for RPI? You know, it’s funny… the team beats them 2 out of 3 times in the regular season the past three years as the underdog.
Nobody hates RPI. As someone who loves the underdog and loves what a deeper LL represents, I thought it was great that RPI beat RIT. And as an IC alum who has watched RIT absolutely dismantle the Bombers over the last 5 years, trust me, I was cheering them (RPI) on every step of the way. And you'll note that I in no way suggested it was a fluke or a miracle.

That said, RIT is still RIT and is, IMO, still a step above, in much the way Tufts is a step above in an excellent and deep NESCAC.

If/when RPI and RIT meet in the LL finals, you can bet I'll be cheering for RPI. But I wouldn't put even money on it.
BallBag

Post by BallBag »

All good, ICGrad…. Thanks for clarifying. I do agree with you 100% but just wanted to stress that I think RPI is putting itself on the map now. This has been a long time coming and may be in the mix for awhile. No doubt RIT is historically King of the LL but finally a few of the LL teams have a fighting chance now… it’s also fun that we have LL teams taking over the NESCAC teams and NESCAC fans can’t believe it.
Like you, I love rooting for the underdogs. It will be an interesting April and May. Hopefully we get 4 teams in to the NCAA’s.
Happy Easter and cheers, guys! This forum is fun.
Tigerlax70

Post by Tigerlax70 »

BallBag wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 5:30 pm Man, what’s with the hatred for RPI? You know, it’s funny… the team beats them 2 out of 3 times in the regular season the past three years as the underdog. Granted, RIT has been dominate in all of D3 lacrosse but to dismiss RPI and what they have done is laughable and juvenile in a way. If you’re a lacrosse fan, one would say to themselves, wow, not really “dumb luck.” There is something here. To blame the weather? Hahaha.. cmon, RIT weather is worse than Troy, NY….. You must have not been there to see the game because you’re right.. RIT was simply out coached. Say what you want…. It was also the lowest scoring total for RIT in 7 years.
Just a point of reference. Yes, I was at the game yesterday versus Vassar and it was a bit uncomfortable in the second half, but the RIT players were all 3rd and 4th team guys. They put in their time just like the regulars and I loved watching them get a chance to showcase their skills. Vassar to their credit played very hard and I didn’t see any “chippiness” that you might get in some blowouts. I mean, you can’t tell kids not to shoot as they are realizing their dream to finally play a collegiate game. In fact, five players for RIT scored their first goal of the season yesterday. As for RPI, they have played RIT as tough as anyone over the years and deserve all the credit they are getting. No hatred here. In fact, I am euphoric that the LL has three teams in the top five and four in the top ten in national polls. Take the platitudes that RPI is getting and forget the naysayers. Plenty of great lax down the road before the playoffs and I suspect we’ll see each other again before it’s all said and done.
Laxattackjack

Post by Laxattackjack »

Laxfan1414 wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 6:14 pm
To your point, RPI up 14-1 at half vs vassar. Pointing to a 30-4 drubbing by RIT is uninformed. SHD does a good job of getting the entire team in, pays future dividends. Comparing scores in Wins and Losses is a suspect way of determining who is the better team.

Anyone watching that RPI-RIT game has to concede that without Perry’s otherworldly performance, RPI doesn’t win. Goalkeeper is a huge part of the team, and I think RPI has the better one, but not sure if he can repeat consistently. I worry about the RPI’s sloppiness on clears. Not championship winning lacrosse.
interesting approach to justify one team being better then the other. if the winning team didn’t have the best players playing, it would have been a different outcome.
ah23

Post by ah23 »

I assume the point is that if there’s a rematch down the road, RIT will still have the more talented and experienced roster and likely control the same parts of the game (possession, shots, turnovers, clearing/riding), but Perry likely won’t put up another GOTY-caliber performance.
Laxfan1414

Post by Laxfan1414 »

Laxattackjack wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 8:37 pm
Laxfan1414 wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 6:14 pm

interesting approach to justify one team being better then the other. if the winning team didn’t have the best players playing, it would have been a different outcome.
Did you watch the RIT game? RPI failed clear in OT, 1v1 RIT attack with Perry, Perry stuffs him. You might feel confident that he can replicate this save time and time again, I do not. RPI needs to clean it up, especially on clears. They failed on another clear at the end of the Ithaca game that could have been disastrous. If they want to win a national championship they cannot rely on Herculean efforts by the goalkeeper on a regular basis.
Laxattackjack

Post by Laxattackjack »

those kind of plays happen almost every week. if we go down that road, who knows what we have. so best to go by actual results. RPI made plays that RIT didn’t make. every game is different. maybe next time RPI doesn’t have a failed clear and doesn’t have to make a great save. as a York fan, i could argue that one or two plays in the york/RIT game would have changed the outcome. same with the RPI/York game. and same for the St Lawrence /York game. now we could be looking at a complete shakeup of the rankings. but York didn’t make those plays, and the others did. doesn’t make york better then the other three top 5 teams. just means that one team made those one or two plays. and one team didn’t.
callaxdad

Post by callaxdad »

Laxattackjack wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 10:06 pm those kind of plays happen almost every week. if we go down that road, who knows what we have. so best to go by actual results. RPI made plays that RIT didn’t make. every game is different. maybe next time RPI doesn’t have a failed clear and doesn’t have to make a great save. as a York fan, i could argue that one or two plays in the york/RIT game would have changed the outcome. same with the RPI/York game. and same for the St Lawrence /York game. now we could be looking at a complete shakeup of the rankings. but York didn’t make those plays, and the others did. doesn’t make york better then the other three top 5 teams. just means that one team made those one or two plays. and one team didn’t.
Laj, I realize we've had a spate of disagreements recently... it is what it is...anyway, did not know you were a York fan... that said, reason for my reply to your post is I think they might could be the best 3-6 team in the history of D3 lacrosse! My guess/prediction is they prolly very easily win the conference AQ and will be a team no one wants to see early in the tourney!
TucoBPJMRamirez

Post by TucoBPJMRamirez »

ah23 wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 8:57 pm ... RIT will still have the more talented and experienced roster ...
Boy, you ain't kidding: TWENTY EIGHT seniors/grad students. That has to be some kind of record.
callaxdad

Post by callaxdad »

TucoBPJMRamirez wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 8:35 am
ah23 wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 8:57 pm ... RIT will still have the more talented and experienced roster ...
Boy, you ain't kidding: TWENTY EIGHT seniors/grad students. That has to be some kind of record.
WOW!! That is 🦇💩🤪!!
STICKIT

Post by STICKIT »

I think, depending how the brackets are done, that two Liberty League teams can make the final four.
SixBySix

Post by SixBySix »

St Lawrence offense looks like they've never seen a 3-3 zone before.

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”