Landmark Conference 2024

D3 Mens Lacrosse
nevadajoe

Re: Landmark Conference 2024

Post by nevadajoe »

Saturday's schedule.

Susquehanna (6-1) is on the road against Mary Washington (4-4)at 12:00. Catholic defeated Mary Washington 10-8 last Wednesday.

Elizabethtown (1-3) faces a big challenge traveling to Franklin & Marshall (5-2) at 12:00. F & M beat Catholic 13-5 on March 2.

Wilkes (2-3) is also be on the road facing Hood (4-2) at 1:00. Hood lost 9-8 to Goucher on February 28.

Lycoming (1-2) is away at Keystone (3-3) at 1:00.

Catholic (2-3) is at home against Curry (2-6) at 1:00. Curry dropped a 8-7 decision to Goucher on Tuesday.

Scranton (2-5) faces Trinity (1-3) at 2:00. The game will be played at a neutral site, St. Joseph's University on Long Island.

Juniata (1-5) is at home against Randolph (3-3) at 3:00.

Goucher (5-2) hosts Delaware Valley (2-3) at 3:00.

On Sunday, Drew (5-2) faces off against Haverford (3-4) at 3:00. Haverford lost to Susquehanna 10-9 last weekend.
nevadajoe

Post by nevadajoe »

Scranton (2-6) played a very good game against Trinity (2-3) before losing by a NESCAC typical 16-12 score. The Royals had streaks where they played very competitvely but Trinity never buckled and led the entire way. Offensively, Matthew McAree and freshman Myles McCutcheon netted 3 goals each. McAree added 2 assists and McCutcheon had one. Pat McCormack and Alex Eglitis had 2 goals apiece.

Susquehanna's (6-2) offense was effectively shut down by the defense of Mary Washington (5-4) in dropping a 10-4 decision. The River Hawks managed just one goal and only 12 shots in the first half while falling behind 5-1. Their defense played a solid game, led by Ted Zaborowski, with 3 caused turnovers and 4 groundballs, and Sean Yamada, with a caused turnover and 6 groundballs. Jozef Korpics had 17 saves.

Elizabethtown (1-4) faced another Top 25 team and lost to Franklin & Marshall (6-2) by a score of 19-10. A seven-goal second quarter put the game out of reach for the Blue Jays and the Diplomats cruised to the victory. Gavin Gismondi and Colin Kondracki each hat a hat trick with Gismondi adding 2 assists. Freshman Tristan Coleman continued to impress on offense with 2 goals and 2 assists. Goalie Brayden Franey had 18 saves while two-way middie Connor Stewart grabbed 7 groundballs to go along with his 2 assists.

Wilkes (2-5) was held scoreless in the first half by Hood (6-2) and fell behind 9-0 in the third quarter. Wilkes made a valiant effort to recover late in the game but eventually lost by a score of 12-8. Austin Sosnovik had 2 goals and Tim Hartka added a goal and 3 assists. Goalie Joseph Marino had 17 saves.
nevadajoe

Post by nevadajoe »

Catholic (3-3) was tied at halftime with Curry (2-7) but their defense took over and held Curry scoreless in the second half as the Cardinals took the win by a score of 11-4. Victor Rosado led the offense with 3 goals and an assist and freshman Bjorn Olofson had 2 goals. On defense, Mike Tayloe caused 5 turnovers and had 4 groundballs and Liam O'Neil caused 3 turnovers whil scooping up 5 groundballs. Ryan Macksoud was dominant at faceoff winning 13 of 17 with 11 groundballs. Goalie Tyler Merchant had 6 saves.

In a high-scoring affair, Lycoming (2-2) defeated Keystone (3-4) 26-16. Troy Scozzafava led the offense with 13 points on 6 goals and 7 assists, just one point shy of the all-time team record. Andrew Ednie had 6 goals and 3 assists and Jory Hoover pumped in 7 goals. On defense, Jakob Switzer set an all-time Lycoming team record with 7 caused turnovers. He also grabbed 11 groundballs. Goalie Ben Franco had 16 saves.

Juniata (2-5) raced out to a 7-1 halftime lead and cruised to a 12-5 win over Randolph (3-4). The offense was led by Beaux Wojciechowski and Aiden Duran with 4 goals each. Wojciechoski added 3 assists and Duran added one. The Eagles defense played a strong game, led by Matt McCleary, with 5 caused turnovers and 7 ground balls, and Rueben Stoll, with 3 caused turnovers and 4 groundballs. Ryan Madison earned the win in goal with 13 saves.

Goucher (6-2) defeated Delaware Valley (2-4) 15-7. Jacob Morgan and James Dugan each contributed 4 goals and an assist to lead the Gophers offense. Jack McDermott added 3 goals and an assist. Sean Nolan was solid on defense, causing 5 turnovers and grabbing 5 groundballs.
nevadajoe

Post by nevadajoe »

On Sunday, Drew (5-2) is at home against Haverford (3-4) in the consolation game of the Leanos Gup.
Haverford was defeated by Susquehanna 10-9 last weekend.
nevadajoe

Post by nevadajoe »

Haverford (4-4) dominated Drew (5-3) on both offense and defense and took away a lopsided 27-5 win in the Leanos Cup consolation game in Madison, NJ.
nevadajoe

Post by nevadajoe »

Landmark Conference Athletes of the Week - March 18, 2024

Men's Lacrosse Offensive: Troy Scozzafava (Lycoming College)

Scozzafava posted six goals and seven assists in Lycoming's 26-16 win over Keystone. The 13 points tied the second-best mark in program history and were the most by a Warrior in a game in 21 years.

Men's Lacrosse Defensive: Sean Nolan (Goucher College)

Nolan totaled seven caused turnovers and nine ground balls in a 2-0 week. He registered five caused turnovers and six ground balls in a 15-7 win over Delaware Valley on Saturday and then notched two caused turnovers and three ground balls in Tuesday's 8-7 win over Curry.
LaxCommish1981

Post by LaxCommish1981 »

Some serious movers and shakers this season in Landmark. The power 3 of Scranton, Catholic and Elizabethtown look like a power 2 with E-Towns struggles.

Who are the up and comers this year for the last few playoff spots if Elizabethtown doesn't finish top 2 and get a bye they may be knocked out early.... going to be interesting

Susquehanna has been looking more solid and Goucher may be on a big rebound?

It's going to be an interesting year.
MVPiccoli

Post by MVPiccoli »

To any Catholic Alums on here, please accept our appreciation and thanks for honoring your commitment and traveling to Radnor! Best of luck in tonight's contest and in the future. I used to spend a lot of time in DC and had the chance to be in the Brookland area on multiple occasions. Gorgeous campus.
nevadajoe

Post by nevadajoe »

Catholic (3-5) faces a challenging road visit to Cabrini (5-2) today at 6:00 PM as Cabrini fields their last lacrosse team in its storied history.

MVP. I have followed this final season with great interest and I really commend the coaches and players who have stayed on for one last run. I have friends that are alums and they are sad as each game passes but also very proud of this team. I think the entire lacrosse world feels the same.

I am good friends with a Cabrini softball family as that team also gallantly is playing their final season with just 10 players on the roster. Once again, the coaches and players have every reason to be proud of making the decision to continue on for what they all knew would be a tough season.
MVPiccoli

Post by MVPiccoli »

nevadajoe wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 9:06 am Catholic (3-5) faces a challenging road visit to Cabrini (5-2) today at 6:00 PM as Cabrini fields their last lacrosse team in its storied history.

MVP. I have followed this final season with great interest and I really commend the coaches and players who have stayed on for one last run. I have friends that are alums and they are sad as each game passes but also very proud of this team. I think the entire lacrosse world feels the same.

I am good friends with a Cabrini softball family as that team also gallantly is playing their final season with just 10 players on the roster. Once again, the coaches and players have every reason to be proud of making the decision to continue on for what they all knew would be a tough season.
Joe, thanks a ton. Your Cabrini alum friends' sentiments are pretty universal. We're all savoring their ferocious play and commitment. All the spring sports teams are operating with roster deficits. The softball team, like men's lacrosse, has historically been formidable division wide. We had two AA pitchers during my time on campus. We attended the games when we didn't have conflicts. Same with hoops, soccer...we mostly showed out for each other. Our former HC for Men's Basketball, and AD, John Dzik, was a natural collaborator. Really made an effort to set a the cross sport culture of Cabrini athletics.
Tightyrighty

Post by Tightyrighty »

Think it’s anyone’s year this year… no one has any really good wins or “close” losses to say they are better. Can make an argument for Scranton vs Dickinson losing by 3 but get doubled up by Cortland. E town definitely has taken a step back but think they’ve been missing a few of their solid players. Catholic is in the same boat they don’t jump out watching them and don’t have any good wins. Susq has a good paper record but lost to Mary Wash kinda badly but maybe they could still one against the others. Everyone else is showing signs of improvement but still don’t really have any wins punching up. I could see a Scranton Catholic final with Scranton winning but to be honest it’s all just meh
nevadajoe

Post by nevadajoe »

Quick analysis show that four teams will be fighting it out for the first four seeds (Catholic, Elizabethtown, Scranton & Susquehanna). Interesting to note is that Elizabethtown will face the other top three within a two-week time frame in Apri, having Scranton at home on 4/13 with their games against Catholic (4/17) and Susquehanna (4/27) on ther road. Catholic will have to face Susquehanna at home and Scranton on the road on April 3 and April 6 respectively, a quick turnaround against two solid opponents. Susquehanna's last two games will be at Scranton (4/20) and at home against Elizabethtown (4/27). First match-up of the top four will be on April 3 with Susquehanna traveling to Catholic.

There will most likely be three teams (Drew, Goucher and Moravian) vying for the last two seeds with two of the head-to-head games for these teams scheduled towards the end of the conference schedule (Drew at Moravian on April 17 and Goucher at Drew on April 20. Moravian will be at Goucher on April 3.
LI_Lax14

Post by LI_Lax14 »

The top teams have all lost alot and have faced some challenging out of conference schedules. Right now I have the rankings as followed...

1.Scranton- Defending Champs
2. Catholic- Returned a few pieces but team is very young. New guys are starting to find their way which could be promising come conference play
3. Etown- Taken a step back. Returners from last year aren't contributing what is expected. Young attackmen leading the charge.
4. Susquehnna- Week NC schedule makes them look good on paper but the UMW loss was bad.
5. Moravian
6.Drew
7.Goucher
I think these three teams are interchangeable
8. Lycoming
9. Wilks
10. Juniata.

I think final will be Scranton/CUA and that can could be a toss up.
LI_Lax14

Post by LI_Lax14 »

Huge comeback win on the road for a young Catholic team. This has to be the biggest win for the conference so far this year. Catholic came out of the gates slow but with a new coach with many new starters it takes time. This team is figuring it out on the fly and are getting hot at the right time.
LaxCommish1981

Post by LaxCommish1981 »

LI_Lax14 wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:28 pm The top teams have all lost alot and have faced some challenging out of conference schedules. Right now I have the rankings as followed...

1.Scranton- Defending Champs
2. Catholic- Returned a few pieces but team is very young. New guys are starting to find their way which could be promising come conference play
3. Etown- Taken a step back. Returners from last year aren't contributing what is expected. Young attackmen leading the charge.
4. Susquehnna- Week NC schedule makes them look good on paper but the UMW loss was bad.
5. Moravian
6.Drew
7.Goucher
I think these three teams are interchangeable
8. Lycoming
9. Wilks
10. Juniata.

I think final will be Scranton/CUA and that can could be a toss up.
Agree on much of your analysis.
Think Goucher could be the biggest team on the move upward if they play solid. Got a chance to Watch Scranton a few times and they clearly play a harder schedule than anyone else.... they will be Prepared

Watched Etown vs F&M online and Freshman Attackman at X is several steps slower than the guy they are resting and had several turnovers and looked shaky and this far outweighed his couple points. Look at blowout losses and take away points against 3rd team Defenses when Etown was getting blown out and stats dry up quick. Other guys need to share the ball.... looked like summer travel worried about not seeing a touch a 2nd time and shooting indiscriminately. I couldnt watch past 3rd quarter need to catch rest of game but it got ugly. Etowns Defense apparently had no break because offense was so feckless. Until they get #4 on the field for a whole game on Attack they will struggle. F&M got picked apart last year by some seasoned players who are apparently resting? League MVP didnt play? Looks like he ran 3 or 4 midfield runs from what I saw but gimmicks don't win games. Coaching staff may be looking for work if they can't explain why they are not fielding their best team against strong non conference teams.

Have to catch tape on Moravian, Drew and Catholic to gets some better insight but looking like Scranton is team to chase once League Play starts.
Last edited by LaxCommish1981 on Wed Mar 20, 2024 9:32 am, edited 3 times in total.
Tightyrighty

Post by Tightyrighty »

I’ll give Catholic their flowers.. called the upper teams out earlier and they pulled out a solid win. BUT, always gotta keep it real, Cabrini is the definition of recency bias. They are above average at the moment. They got shlacked by Lynchburg and lost to HSC. Not saying they are bad but not even close to even 15% of that 2019 chip team.
laxdad30

Post by laxdad30 »

I got Goucher at 5 or 6. just from what I've seen first hand.
MVPiccoli

Post by MVPiccoli »

Valiant effort by Catholic last night. Cabrini's zone was used too often and was too passive and they took full advantage. Some talented players on your squad! Best of luck the rest of the way!

There is no recency bias in regards to the Cavs. We have 27 players. Everyone knows the score. As an alumni community we're collectively inspired by their commitment to each other and for wearing our colors for one final season.
Not Suitable

Post by Not Suitable »

MVPiccoli wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 9:09 am Valiant effort by Catholic last night. Cabrini's zone was used too often and was too passive and they took full advantage. Some talented players on your squad! Best of luck the rest of the way!

There is no recency bias in regards to the Cavs. We have 27 players. Everyone knows the score. As an alumni community we're collectively inspired by their commitment to each other and for wearing our colors for one final season.
Down to 25 at most with injuries to Carraghan and Kutyla. Not sure where the "recency bias" is as our boys aren't ranked, or even in consideration.
nevadajoe

Post by nevadajoe »

Catholic (4-5) showed some championship caliber resilience coming back from a 10-6 fourth quarter deficit to edge Cabrini (5-3) by a score of 12-11.
In the final quarter, the Cardinals offense scored 6 goals, the first 2 by Victor Rosado, followed by one from Mike Mulligan and then two from Steven Dezelic to tie and go ahead with just over four minutes left in the game. Cullen Lotz put Catholic ahead by two goals soon after and the defense did the rest, holding Cabrini scoreless for 13 minutes and allowing just the one goal on a man-up with two minutes left.
Rosado had 6 goals and 2 assists and Dezelic notched a hat trick along with 2 assists. Lotz also pitched in 2 assists to go with his goal.
Tyler Merchant had a career-high 15 saves in goal including a critical one on a Cabrini attempt to tie with 12 seconds left.
Ryan Macksoud was strong at faceoff winning 14 of 23 with 5 groundballs.
Defenseman Mike Tayloe grabbed 4 groundballs.

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”