Obituaries - Gone but not forgotten.

General Chatter
Kismet

Re: Obituaries - Gone but not forgotten.

Post by Kismet »

Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Kismet wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 2:11 pm Newsanchor Robert MacNeil, 93

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/04/12/busi ... -dead.html

a true journalistic pro
RIP
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

Charles Francis "Socker" Coe, Esq
SCLaxAttack

Post by SCLaxAttack »

Seacoaster(1) wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 11:37 am
SCLaxAttack wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 10:17 am
Seacoaster(1) wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 8:48 am
10stone5 wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 2:37 pm Jerry Grote
'69 Mets - RIP

And don't dare try to steal on him. It's been a tough year so far for the Amazins. And for us fans, are we that old now that our childhood heroes are dropping like flies?
I’m afraid that is the case. I was nine with the Mets made the run in 1969. Still remember listening on a transistor radio in the schoolhouse.
The trivia you can remember… The family transistor radio was on while on my first visit to Cooperstown the Saturday of game one. (A different time - every game of the 69 Series was a day game.) This 13 year old was despondent thinking the series was over after how the Mets were manhandled. On the day of game four I was at my orthodontist’s office listening to the game and hoping I’d be home to watch the last few innings on tv.
ardilla secreta

Post by ardilla secreta »

Brooklyn wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 2:15 pm
Kismet wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 2:11 pm Newsanchor Robert MacNeil, 93

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/04/12/busi ... -dead.html

a true journalistic pro
RIP
A true and unique legend in broadcast news journalism and the English language.
SCLaxAttack

Post by SCLaxAttack »

Brooklyn wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 1:37 pm
ardilla secreta wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 3:53 pm
Brooklyn wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 12:32 pm
njbill wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 11:47 am And he never did find the real murder even though he ceaselessly kept trying for 30 years. :roll:

Glen Rogers said he kill Nicole & Ronald. To this day Rogers family believes he did it.
The proper hearse for OJ has been chosen.
IMG_1412.jpeg

Mebbe Glen Rogers can be the driver:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/My_Brothe ... ial_Killer

The documentary was narrated by Rogers' brother Clay Rogers and aired on Investigation Discovery in November 2012. My Brother the Serial Killer received widespread media attention for Clay's claims that his brother had said he had committed the 1994 murders of Nicole Brown Simpson and Ron Goldman in California
Remind me - OJ supposedly had a lifetime goal to find the true killer. Did his investigation lead him to Rogers?
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

SCLaxAttack wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 7:51 pm
Remind me - OJ supposedly had a lifetime goal to find the true killer. Did his investigation lead him to Rogers?

In the days of the common law there used to be an old maxim that dead men don't tell no tales. When a con was in his death bed or in death row, when he confessed to a crime it was always held that he spoke the truth and any legal hassles or investigations were ended. This has generally been the rule in modern times such as when Ted Bundy confessed to several killings that police could not solve. Once he admitted to those killings for which he did not go on trial, the investigations ceased.

Once Rogers fessed up, the usual thing was to close the case there. But the courts never want to admit to their errors so they would never give up their persecution of OJ and refused to return the property they took from him. Bear in mind that Rogers family swear he was the killer. Neither he nor any of them have changed their story.
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

NY Yankee Fritz Peterson:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/mlb/fo ... 59ed&ei=29

funny dude - highly controversial

44WeWantMore

Post by 44WeWantMore »

SCLaxAttack wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 7:51 pm
Brooklyn wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 1:37 pm
ardilla secreta wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 3:53 pm
Brooklyn wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 12:32 pm
njbill wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 11:47 am And he never did find the real murder even though he ceaselessly kept trying for 30 years. :roll:

Glen Rogers said he kill Nicole & Ronald. To this day Rogers family believes he did it.
The proper hearse for OJ has been chosen.
IMG_1412.jpeg

Mebbe Glen Rogers can be the driver:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/My_Brothe ... ial_Killer

The documentary was narrated by Rogers' brother Clay Rogers and aired on Investigation Discovery in November 2012. My Brother the Serial Killer received widespread media attention for Clay's claims that his brother had said he had committed the 1994 murders of Nicole Brown Simpson and Ron Goldman in California
If the story is true (I have no idea):
Rogers said he was hired by O.J. Simpson to break into Brown's house and steal some expensive jewelry, and that Simpson had told him: "you may have to kill the complain".
That would be a lead not to follow.

EDIT: The correct quote is in the link above.
Be in their flowing cups freshly rememb'red.
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

44WeWantMore wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 10:52 am

... Rogers said he was hired by O.J. Simpson to break into Brown's house and steal some expensive jewelry, and that Simpson had told him: "you may have to kill the complain" ...

That is incorrect. It is a lead that MUST be followed. After all, he supposedly fessed up to another prisoner during the trial proceedings. There simply was no rational reason for the LA prosecution to put all their eggs in one basket and to go after OJ when this information had been made known [at the same time the police are required to follow ALL leads which, again, they chose not to investigate]. Obviously those jackbutts were confidant they were going to win the case and so they dismissed other allegations or leads when they should not have done so.

By the way, since there is no statute of limitations they can start a murder one trial for Rogers. Once he admits to guilt all the anti OJ tears will be washed away. But they won't do it. This because they do not have enough honesty or character to admit to their errors and racism. They would be terribly embarrassed to force the Goldman family to pay back the money they have gotten from OJ's estate. At the same time, the Goldman family got several million in compensatory damages which are taxable. If they were forced to pay back those taxable damages to the OJ estate, they would NOT be able to re-collect their tax payments to the government under the three year statute of limitations. Shocking as it may sound, the Goldman family would likely go broke.

Those are the facts. Let's see the Fox network liars touch that subject.

44WeWantMore

Post by 44WeWantMore »

Brooklyn wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 4:41 pm
44WeWantMore wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 10:52 am

... Rogers said he was hired by O.J. Simpson to break into Brown's house and steal some expensive jewelry, and that Simpson had told him: "you may have to kill the complain" ...

That is incorrect. It is a lead that MUST be followed. After all, he supposedly fessed up to another prisoner during the trial proceedings. There simply was no rational reason for the LA prosecution to put all their eggs in one basket and to go after OJ when this information had been made known [at the same time the police are required to follow ALL leads which, again, they chose not to investigate]. Obviously those jackbutts were confidant they were going to win the case and so they dismissed other allegations or leads when they should not have done so.

By the way, since there is no statute of limitations they can start a murder one trial for Rogers. Once he admits to guilt all the anti OJ tears will be washed away. But they won't do it. This because they do not have enough honesty or character to admit to their errors and racism. They would be terribly embarrassed to force the Goldman family to pay back the money they have gotten from OJ's estate. At the same time, the Goldman family got several million in compensatory damages which are taxable. If they were forced to pay back those taxable damages to the OJ estate, they would NOT be able to re-collect their tax payments to the government under the three year statute of limitations. Shocking as it may sound, the Goldman family would likely go broke.

Those are the facts. Let's see the Fox network liars touch that subject.
If you had included my entire post you would have seen that I was replying to:
The reason why OJ would not have wanted to follow that lead would be that he was aquitted in California court of murder.
However, there is a Federal Murder for Hire statute, and if the quote in the Wikipedia article is correct, he might have been liable under the Federal statute without being able to use double jeopardy as a defense.
Be in their flowing cups freshly rememb'red.
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

I did not actually address the matter of OJ's alleged investigation. Instead, I addressed the matter of why the police and prosecution did not pursue it. Bear in mind that Rogers is still alive and that there is no statute of limitations. He can still be tried based on "new evidence". Further, the term ""you may have to kill the b________h" (if it is true) does not actually constitute solicitation for murder. The defense would argue it was a vague term and raise a doubt among jury members. Besides, Rogers confessed so that the trial would end there. Then the Goldmans would have had to return the $$$.

Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

great left hander Kenny Holtzman:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/mlb/fo ... 7b12&ei=18

Holtzman joined the Cubs as a 19-year-old in 1965. The lefty tossed no-hitters in 1969 and 1971, the first of which remains the only no-no completed without a strikeout.

Traded to the Oakland Athletics in 1972, Holtzman won 77 games with a 2.92 ERA over four seasons. The two-time All-Star was a pivotal part of three consecutive World Series champions.

Holtzman has a career 2.30 ERA in 70.1 postseason innings, all for Oakland. That includes 11 innings of one-run ball in a 1973 ALCS win over the Baltimore Orioles and 5.1 innings with one run allowed to defeat the New York Mets in Game 7 of the Fall Classic.

In 1976, Holtzman went to the New York Yankees as part of a trade for star slugger Reggie Jackson. Although he didn't pitch in the playoffs, he received a fourth World Series ring in 1977.

With 174 victories, Holtzman tops Sandy Koufax as the all-time winningest Jewish pitcher in MLB history.

Brooklyn

Carl Erskine, Brooklyn Ace

Post by Brooklyn »

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/mlb/tw ... 1b54&ei=11

Carl Erskine, a former star pitcher for the Brooklyn Dodgers who won two World Series with the team and played alongside Jackie Robinson, passed away this week at the age of 97.

During Erskine’s career with the Dodgers, he finished with a 122-78 record, won two World Series championships, and threw two no-hitters. During his time with the Dodgers, the team relocated to Los Angeles. Erskine played with the team from 1948 to 1959.

In 2023, Erskine became the sixth person to receive the John Jordan “Buck” O’Neil Lifetime Achievement Award from the National Baseball Hall of Fame. The honor was bestowed upon him for his extraordinary efforts to enhance baseball’s positive impact on society.

Erskine was not only a great player but also a great person who was a friend and teammate of Jackie Robinson. Erskine stated that he was stunned by the racial taunts directed at Robinson.

Known in NY for many years as one of MLB genuine nice guys.

Last of the Boys of Summer.

JoeMauer89

Re: Carl Erskine, Brooklyn Ace

Post by JoeMauer89 »

Brooklyn wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:52 pm https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/mlb/tw ... 1b54&ei=11

Carl Erskine, a former star pitcher for the Brooklyn Dodgers who won two World Series with the team and played alongside Jackie Robinson, passed away this week at the age of 97.

During Erskine’s career with the Dodgers, he finished with a 122-78 record, won two World Series championships, and threw two no-hitters. During his time with the Dodgers, the team relocated to Los Angeles. Erskine played with the team from 1948 to 1959.

In 2023, Erskine became the sixth person to receive the John Jordan “Buck” O’Neil Lifetime Achievement Award from the National Baseball Hall of Fame. The honor was bestowed upon him for his extraordinary efforts to enhance baseball’s positive impact on society.

Erskine was not only a great player but also a great person who was a friend and teammate of Jackie Robinson. Erskine stated that he was stunned by the racial taunts directed at Robinson.

Known in NY for many years as one of MLB genuine nice guys.

Last of the Boys of Summer.
Pitched alongside Sal "The Barber" Maglie. Another very underrated pitcher for the boy's from Brookyln!

Joe
Brooklyn

Re: Carl Erskine, Brooklyn Ace

Post by Brooklyn »

JoeMauer89 wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:02 pm
Pitched alongside Sal "The Barber" Maglie. Another very underrated pitcher for the boy's from Brookyln!

Joe

Sal was known for giving batters that famous close shave.

Don Newcombe was prolly the best pitcher with Preacher Rowe, Clyde King, Ralph Branca ~ great pitching staff.

The Bums, the Jints, and the Yankees along with the powerful minor league Newark Bears and the Brooklyn Bushwicks semi pros -- what a great time they had in the Big Apple back then!

Kismet

Post by Kismet »

Allman Brothers guitarist Dicky Betts, 81.

I will play Blue Skies in memoriam.
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

Kismet wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 12:56 pm Allman Brothers guitarist Dicky Betts, 81.

I will play Blue Skies in memoriam.
I'll play Rambling Man.
I use to be a people person until people ruined that for me.
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

I'll play the rather under rated sentimental Highway Call

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZGF9vW9ceM0

Olderbarndog

Post by Olderbarndog »

In Memory of Elizabeth Reed. Electric: Fillmore East. Acoustic: Wipe the Windows, Check the Oil, Dollar Gas.

So many memories. Augusta, Me. Late 70's. Greg was "under the weather". Dicky soldiered on, played ABB & Great Southern tunes. The Toller Brothers were part of ABB back then.
Brooklyn

Roman Gabriel

Post by Brooklyn »

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/ro ... 5866&ei=20

Old schooler. Gave 100% every time he put on those cleats. Am surprised to know he is not in HOF.

Return to “GENERAL CHATTER”