Obituaries - Gone but not forgotten.

General Chatter
Brooklyn

Re: Obituaries - Gone but not forgotten.

Post by Brooklyn »

Burt Young, 83

https://apnews.com/article/burt-young-o ... e2b2d5577a

Burt Young, the Oscar-nominated actor who played Paulie, the rough-hewn, mumbling-and-grumbling best friend, corner-man and brother-in-law to Sylvester Stallone in the “Rocky” franchise, has died.

Young died Oct. 8 in Los Angeles, his daughter, Anne Morea Steingieser, told the New York Times on Wednesday. No cause was given. He was 83.

Young had roles in acclaimed films and television shows including “Chinatown,” “Once Upon a Time in America” and “The Sopranos.”

But he was always best known for playing Paulie Pennino in six “Rocky” movies. The short, paunchy, balding Young was the sort of actor who always seemed to play middle-aged no matter his age.
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

Charles Francis "Socker" Coe, Esq
njbill

Post by njbill »

He was only about 36 when the first Rocky movie came out. Seemed a lot older than that. Was great in that Paulie role though.
JoeMauer89

Post by JoeMauer89 »

njbill wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 12:51 pm He was only about 36 when the first Rocky movie came out. Seemed a lot older than that. Was great in that Paulie role though.
Was really funny in "Back To School"!

Joe
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

njbill wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 12:51 pm He was only about 36 when the first Rocky movie came out. Seemed a lot older than that. Was great in that Paulie role though.

Did seem older.

Over the years I gradually appreciated his role in that series more and more. Perhaps his portrayal may have been a bit underrated.
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

44WeWantMore

Post by 44WeWantMore »

Be in their flowing cups freshly rememb'red.
Brooklyn

Hondo!

Post by Brooklyn »

Big Frank Howard, 87 ~ a true giant of a man in so many ways

https://www.dispatch.com/story/sports/2 ... 388406007/

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2 ... s-tribute/

Great player, coach, team morale builder, and great human being. Beloved by everyone in the game of MLB.

If I was a team manager in pro baseball, he would have been the first coach I'd hire.

NoLeft

Post by NoLeft »

Bob Knight, basketball coach
https://www.espn.com/mens-college-baske ... ht-dies-83

Great coach; serious temper
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

NoLeft wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 7:08 pm Bob Knight, basketball coach

He was given at least of hand full of gift victories by the referees he intimidated during his many years on the bench. IIRC correctly, one of them was a playoff OT win over Dayton which even he admitted that his team did not deserve to "win". Two games vs the Gophers stood out for me:

one was where the referees called 7 fouls against the Gophers within the first 4 minutes or so ~ had that happened to my teams I would have ordered everyone off the bench and into the club house even if it meant a forfeit. Obviously, the damn game was a fix.

another was when Knight was so angry at his players that he forced the starters to sit on the bench while his backup players played all game. Gophers won by 50 points.

He was a very capable coach and well deserved his place in the HOF. In fact, I'm more inclined to blame the NCAA for all the controversy as they could have shut him up a long time before he was canned by Indiana.

Good thing he didn't try to coach in the NBA like Carlisimo did or he would have crucified by the players.
Last edited by Brooklyn on Thu Nov 02, 2023 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

NoLeft wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 7:08 pm Bob Knight, basketball coach

Amazed he made it to 83 with such a short fuse. Great clip: https://x.com/RexChapman/status/1719853 ... 87741?s=20
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Kismet

Post by Kismet »

Astronaut who commanded Apollo 8 mission to orbit the moon on Christmas Eve 1968.

Frank Borman, 95

https://www.npr.org/2023/11/09/95334256 ... orman-dies

Brooklyn

Terry Funk

Post by Brooklyn »

Legendary wrestler dies at 79: Stars mourn the WWE icon

https://www.msn.com/en-us/entertainment ... 1bb9&ei=27

Terry Funk, one of the innovators of professional wrestling, died on Aug. 23 at the age of 79.

The WWE Hall of Famer came into the wrestling world in the mid-'60s and continued some semblance of involvement in the industry for five decades. He held championships in multiple wrestling organizations including the WWF (now the WWE).

One of the original and most iconic "hardcore wrestlers," there was little Terry wouldn't try (no matter how dangerous). Because of his notoriety in the ring, Terry landed roles in some Hollywood films, too, starring in "Road House," "Over The Top" and "The Ringer," among others. He performed stunts in several of the "Rambo" films as well.

Following his death, many top-line wrestlers publicly mourned the in-ring legend.

Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Rosalynn Carter:

Lovely lady.

Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Willie Hernandez, World Series hero:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/mlb/wi ... 5a12&ei=23

Former Detroit Tigers pitcher and 1984 World Series champion Willie Hernández has died, the Tigers organization confirmed Tuesday. He was 69.

A relief pitcher, Hernández was the 1984 American League MVP and AL Cy Young Award winner. He made his MLB debut with the Chicago Cubs in 1977 before joining the Philadelphia Phillies in 1983 and eventually the Tigers in 1984.

Hernández was a three-time All-Star and concluded his MLB career with the Tigers in 1989 with 147 saves, a 70-63 win-loss record, 788 strikeouts and a 3.39 ERA.

The Detroit Tigers released a statement on Tuesday confirming the death of Hernández:

"The Tigers are deeply saddened to learn of the passing of Willie Hernández. A 13-year Major League veteran, including his final six seasons wearing the Olde English 'D', Hernandez was a key member of the Tigers 1984 World Series championship team, earning American League MVP and Cy Young Award honors that season. He was also selected to three AL All-Star teams during his six seasons in Detroit. Our thoughts are with the Hernández family, his friends, and teammates."

Alan Trammell, Tigers Special Assistant to the President of Baseball Operations released the following statement:
"Willie Hernández was a great teammate, and I'm terribly sorry to hear the news of his passing. I will never forget our team's celebration together on the mound after he recorded the final out of the 1984 World Series. He will always be remembered as a World Series champion. My thoughts and prayers are with this family."

Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Kissinger:

https://www.bing.com/search?q=kissinger ... 01&PC=U531

Death of Henry Kissinger met with polarized reaction around the world

https://www.seattletimes.com/nation-wor ... the-world/

A polarized reaction poured in Thursday to the death of former U.S. Secretary of State Henry Kissinger, who managed to galvanize global attention decades after his official service as one of the most powerful diplomats in American history.

Kissinger, who died Wednesday in Connecticut at 100, was praised as a skilled defender of U.S. interests by world leaders. On social media he was widely called a war criminal who left lasting damage throughout the world.

“America has lost one of the most dependable and distinctive voices” on foreign affairs, said former President George W. Bush, striking a tone that many high-level officials, past and present, tried to convey.

“I have long admired the man who fled the Nazis as a young boy from a Jewish family, then fought them in the United States Army,” Bush said in a statement. “When he later became Secretary of State, his appointment as a former refugee said as much about his greatness as it did America’s greatness.”

Kissinger served two presidents, Richard Nixon and Gerald Ford, and dominated foreign policy as the United States withdrew from Vietnam and established ties with communist China.

Another former secretary of state, Mike Pompeo, said Kissinger left an indelible mark on American and world history.

“I will always be grateful for his gracious advice and help during my own time as Secretary,” Pompeo tweeted on X. “Always supportive and always informed, his wisdom made me better and more prepared after every one of our conversations.”

Criticism of Kissinger, who was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize, was especially strong on social media, where many posted celebratory videos in reaction to his death.

more ...

Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Forget Munger and Kissinger this is the real tragedy of the day and personal for me.

RIP Shane McGowan-lead singer and cultural icon from the greatest Irish band ever (nobody ever come at me with U2 because god will strike you down for even comparing the two)

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/11/30/arts ... -dead.html

First one is with Kristy McColl a beautiful Irish singer murdered by a Mexican (or Latin American I forget the details now) politician who skated

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=j9jbdgZidu8

This one is my jan and appropriate for my boy Shane today

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=B4v6aNjGFFk

This one shows you the beauty it totally f’ed up broke a** rural
Irish immigrants who lived life in the fullest here in the states

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=boJR79qnNkc

Once watched the guy pass out on stage mid song at a Guiness Fleadh festival, get back up three minutes later and get back into the music and show. F’ng genius.
Same sword they knight you they gon' good night you with
Thats' only half if they like you
That ain't even the half what they might do
Don't believe me, ask Michael
See Martin, Malcolm
See Jesus, Judas; Caesar, Brutus
See success is like suicide
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Sandra Day O'Connor

judicial pioneer

Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Friends shop put this piece out on Munger

Munger Games: Charlie Munger’s Legacy
And His Common Sense Approach to Business and Investing
December 1, 2023 Current Events

This week, we step aside from our usual musings on valuation trends in the RIA industry to honor the late Berkshire Hathaway Vice Chairman with our thoughts on some of his famous quotes (that might be relevant to you and your clients):

“I think the reason why we got into such idiocy in [personal] investment management is best illustrated by a story that I tell about the guy who sold fishing tackle. I asked him, ‘My God, they’re purple and green. Do fish really take these lures?’ And he said, ‘Mister, I don’t sell to fish.’”
– 1994 speech at the University of Southern California Business School
We’ve all taken the bait on a flashy investment opportunity that didn’t pan out. We knew better but couldn’t resist the prospect of doubling our money in a short amount of time. Rational investing leads to rational returns, and irrational investing leads to irrational returns (typically below 0%). Maximizing the ratio of rational investing to irrational investing for clients is easier said than done, but one of the primary responsibilities of a prudent financial advisor. Feel free to share Charlie Munger’s thoughts on crypto the next time a client asks about Bitcoin:

“A cryptocurrency is not a currency, not a commodity, and not a security. Instead, it’s a gambling contract with a nearly 100% edge for the house, entered into in a country where gambling contracts are traditionally regulated only by states that compete in laxity.”

– 2023 Wall Street Journal op-ed piece
Charlie Munger often distinguished between investing and gambling, which, in his mind, was the same thing as “investing” in a cryptocurrency. That probably seems obvious to you (and your clients), but unfortunately, that’s not the case for much of the investing public. Interestingly, he had a similar disdain for diversification, which probably isn’t so practical for most individual investors:

“A lot of people think that if they have a hundred stocks they’re investing more professionally than they are if they have four or five. I regard this as insanity.”
– 2021 shareholder meeting for the Daily Journal Corporation
Mr. Munger called this ‘diworsification,’ and this philosophy allowed him to achieve above-market returns for several decades and become one of the most successful investors of all time. This mentality probably only applies to active managers (like he was himself) who devote much of their professional careers to investment research and analysis. His colleagues Warren Buffet and Jack Bogle would certainly not recommend this approach to most individual investors.

“Usually, I don’t use formal projections. I don’t let people do them for me because I don’t like throwing up on the desk, but I see them made in a very foolish way all the time, and many people believe in them, no matter how foolish they are. It’s an effective sales technique in America to put a foolish projection on a desk.”
– 2003 Herb Kay Undergraduate Lecture at the University of California, Santa Barbara Economics Department
Since we often rely heavily on projections in our DCF valuation models, it’s probably best that Mr. Munger was never a client of ours (actually, I’m sure he would’ve been great to work with). We understand the fallacies of projections and contend that all models are wrong, but some are useful (to quote the British statistician George Box) when grounded in reason and reality.

“I think you would understand any presentation using the word EBITDA, if every time you saw that you just substituted the phrase, bull**** earnings.”
– 2003 Annual Berkshire Hathaway Shareholder Meeting
We often utilize EBITDA metrics in our valuation models, so Mr. Munger probably wouldn’t have appreciated that aspect of our analysis either. Mr. Munger clarified this later in the meeting by stating, “There are two kinds of businesses: The first earns 12%, and you can take it out at the end of the year. The second earns 12%, but all the excess cash must be reinvested — there’s never any cash. It reminds me of the guy who looks at all of his equipment and says, ‘There’s all of my profit.’ We hate that kind of business.” Fortunately, your business is the former, and you get to keep most of its EBITDA every year.

“I am personally skeptical of some of the hype that has gone into artificial intelligence. I think old-fashioned intelligence works pretty well.”
– 2023 Berkshire Hathaway Annual Meeting
Mr. Buffet took this one step further – “I will confidently wager that no computer will ever replicate Charlie.” Unfortunately, he was probably right.
Same sword they knight you they gon' good night you with
Thats' only half if they like you
That ain't even the half what they might do
Don't believe me, ask Michael
See Martin, Malcolm
See Jesus, Judas; Caesar, Brutus
See success is like suicide
Kismet

Post by Kismet »

Norman Lear, 101.
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Ryan O'Neal, 82

Big favorite in Gotham back in the day.

Return to “GENERAL CHATTER”