Obituaries - Gone but not forgotten.

General Chatter
Brooklyn

Re: Obituaries - Gone but not forgotten.

Post by Brooklyn »

molo wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 5:50 pm Malachy McCourt, Frank’s brother. Frank was an inspiring writer. Malachy sounds like he was quite a guy. The Irish in my background is from their neck of the woods. Wish I had known both of them.

I've read a couple of Frank's book. But Malachy was my guy. We even corresponded a couple of time. A great New Yorker who was always cheerful and positive. I love his Lime Shave Cream commercial but could never find it online.

It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

Charles Francis "Socker" Coe, Esq
Brooklyn

Chris Simon

Post by Brooklyn »

https://apnews.com/article/chris-simon- ... 4ca8b4603a

https://theathletic.com/5354822/2024/03 ... death-nhl/

one of my fave NHL enforcers - did a lot of charitable work for Native American causes - cause of death undisclosed at this time but I've read in recent years of illness related to hockey injuries
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

Brooklyn

Chris Simon

Post by Brooklyn »

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nhl/st ... r-BB1keOxU

Suicide due to CTE. So sad.

"The family strongly believes, and witnessed firsthand, that Chris struggled immensely from CTE which unfortunately resulted in his death," Theofanous’ statement said. "We will not be releasing any further details at this time and ask for privacy during this very difficult time. We appreciate everyone who shares in our tragic loss."

Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

NHL players tribute to Chris Simon:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nhl/ma ... ea02&ei=49

The hockey world was stunned on Tuesday night when news broke that former Washington Capitals forward Chris Simon had passed away. Washington paid tribute to the late forward on Wednesday when they played the Toronto Maple Leafs. The tributes didn’t stop there, though, as Maple Leafs forward Max Domi made a rather classy gesture post-game.

Toronto defeated the Capitals 7-3 on Wednesday night. Domi, as usual, prepared to face the media after the final horn. However, he pre-empted any questions and addressed the Simon family before any talk of the game could occur.

“A big shoutout to the Simon family,” the Toronto forward said, via Sportsnet. “Just letting them know that we’re all thinking of them through this difficult time. What Chris did in his career is remarkable. Doing that job, winning a Stanley Cup, and being part of a special team like that. It’s amazing.”

Chris Simon debuted in the NHL with the Quebec Nordiques during the 1991-92 season. He was originally a second-round pick of the Philadelphia Flyers in 1990. However, the Flyers traded the Ontario native to Quebec in the infamous trade that sent Eric Lindros to Philadelphia.

Simon carved out a role as an enforcer. He played with great intensity and physicality, energizing and protecting his team. That said, he still chipped in some offense when needed. He scored 144 goals and 305 points in 782 career NHL games. He won the Stanley Cup with the Colorado Avalanche in 1996 after they relocated from Quebec.

Former Avalanche star Joe Sakic called Simon an important piece of the championship team. “He was a really good hockey player who could score goals, was a big presence in the dressing room and was the first person to stand up and defend his teammates. Off the ice he was an unbelievable guy and a caring father, son, brother, and friend. He will be sorely missed,” Sakic said, via ESPN.

Simon joined the Capitals ahead of the 1996-97 season. He spent parts of seven seasons in the American capital season before having stops with the Calgary Flames, New York Islanders, Chicago Blackhawks, New York Rangers, and Minnesota Wild. The Ontario native hung up his skates after the 2007-08 season at the age of 36.

The New York Islanders released a statement on social media following the news of his passing. “He epitomized what it means to be an Islander, someone who wore his heart on his sleeve both on the ice and in the community,” the team said in the statement.

Capitals mourned before facing Maple Leafs, Max Domi
The Capitals released a statement on Tuesday prior to facing Max Domi and the Maple Leafs. They extended their condolences to Simon’s loved ones. “Chris was a fixture in Washington for parts of seven seasons and was an integral member of the 1998 team that reached the first Stanley Cup Final in franchise history,” Washington’s statement read.

The Capitals held a touching pregame tribute for the former forward, as well. Both Washington and the Maple Leafs participated in a moment of silence prior to the opening faceoff. The Washington crowd gave a round of applause following the moment of silence.

Chris Simon left an immeasurable impact on the game of hockey. The outpouring of support his family has received from Max Domi, the Maple Leafs, the Capitals, and others shows the immense love and respect many had for him. May he rest in peace, and may his family find peace through this difficult time.

The post Maple Leafs’ Max Domi makes classy gesture to late-Chris Simon’s family appeared first on ClutchPoints.

44WeWantMore

Post by 44WeWantMore »

Be in their flowing cups freshly rememb'red.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

I read the “Deepness” series - been a while,

I may have to re-read the 1st one.
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Legendary NYC TV news anchor Bill Jorgensen, 96:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/entertainment ... 13b4&ei=16

Just the facts, no nonsense old school reporter.

Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Joe Lieberman:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/obituari ... dent-dead/

Lieberman, the doggedly independent four-term U.S. senator from Connecticut who was the Democratic nominee for vice president in 2000, becoming the first Jewish candidate on the national ticket of a major party, died March 27 in New York City. He was 82.

The cause was complications from a fall, his family said in a statement.

Mr. Lieberman viewed himself as a centrist Democrat, solidly in his party’s mainstream with his support of abortion rights, environmental protections, gay rights and gun control. But he was also unafraid to stray from Democratic orthodoxy, most notably in his consistently hawkish stands on foreign policy.

His full-throated support of the 2003 invasion of Iraq and the increasingly unpopular war that followed doomed Mr. Lieberman’s bid for the Democratic presidential nomination in 2004 and led to his rejection by Connecticut Democrats when he sought his fourth Senate term in 2006. He kept his seat by running that November as an independent candidate and attracting substantial support from Republican and unaffiliated voters.

“I have not always fit comfortably into conventional political boxes,” Mr. Lieberman said near the end of his Senate career, an understatement that tiptoed around the anger his maverick ways stoked among many liberals.

SCLaxAttack

Post by SCLaxAttack »

We need more Liebermans. Now more than ever before. Moderate. Gore running mate yet highly critical of WJ Clinton. Endorses McCain, then Hillary and Biden.
molo

Post by molo »

John Barth, postmodernist writer and retired Hopkins professor, has died in Bonita Springs, Florida. Raised on the Eastern Shore, he spent most of his adult life in Baltimore with stops at SUNY Buffalo and Penn State before settling in at his alma mater. Interestingly, although his detractors criticized his novels for being too “academic,” I don’t think he had a PhD, just an MA to go along with his considerable body of work.
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

OJ Simpson is gone. As a lifelong Buffalo Bills fan I am sad. Watching " the juice" in his prime was something to see.
I use to be a people person until people ruined that for me.
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Not guilty!

njbill

Post by njbill »

And he never did find the real murder even though he ceaselessly kept trying for 30 years. :roll:
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

njbill wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 11:47 am And he never did find the real murder even though he ceaselessly kept trying for 30 years. :roll:

Glen Rogers said he kill Nicole & Ronald. To this day Rogers family believes he did it.

10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Jerry Grote
'69 Mets - RIP

Post by ardilla secreta »

Brooklyn wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 12:32 pm
njbill wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 11:47 am And he never did find the real murder even though he ceaselessly kept trying for 30 years. :roll:

Glen Rogers said he kill Nicole & Ronald. To this day Rogers family believes he did it.
The proper hearse for OJ has been chosen.
IMG_1412.jpeg
IMG_1412.jpeg (59.26 KiB) Viewed 133 times
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

10stone5 wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 2:37 pm Jerry Grote
'69 Mets - RIP

Post by SCLaxAttack »

Seacoaster(1) wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 8:48 am
'69 Mets - RIP

And don't dare try to steal on him. It's been a tough year so far for the Amazins. And for us fans, are we that old now that our childhood heroes are dropping like flies?
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

SCLaxAttack wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 10:17 am
Seacoaster(1) wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 8:48 am
'69 Mets - RIP

And don't dare try to steal on him. It's been a tough year so far for the Amazins. And for us fans, are we that old now that our childhood heroes are dropping like flies?
I’m afraid that is the case. I was nine with the Mets made the run in 1969. Still remember listening on a transistor radio in the schoolhouse.
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

ardilla secreta wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 3:53 pm
Brooklyn wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 12:32 pm

The proper hearse for OJ has been chosen.
IMG_1412.jpeg

Mebbe Glen Rogers can be the driver:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/My_Brothe ... ial_Killer

The documentary was narrated by Rogers' brother Clay Rogers and aired on Investigation Discovery in November 2012. My Brother the Serial Killer received widespread media attention for Clay's claims that his brother had said he had committed the 1994 murders of Nicole Brown Simpson and Ron Goldman in California

Return to “GENERAL CHATTER”