SUNY 2024

D3 Mens Lacrosse
dp68

Re: SUNY 2024

Post by dp68 »

Leonard Washington wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 3:14 pm
dp68 wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 2:04 pm
That's Central and Upstate NY in a nutshell. By mid-April, the clouds turn me in Jack Torrance running amok.
:lol:

Who doesn't love a good "The Shining" reference ?

Early in the season, as good as RPI is, not sure what to think about
Geneseo and their loss to them
That game raised my expectations for Geneseo. RPI is red-hot out of the gate and had multiple challenging games under their belt, while Geneseo opened their season. This tells me the score would probably be closer in the middle of the season. That said, Geneseo must go into Cortland's house and "put the stake in Dracula's heart", so to speak, if they want to return to the playoffs.
Leonard Washington

Post by Leonard Washington »

dp68 wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 10:21 am
That game raised my expectations for Geneseo. RPI is red-hot out of the gate and had multiple challenging games under their belt, while Geneseo opened their season. This tells me the score would probably be closer in the middle of the season. That said, Geneseo must go into Cortland's house and "put the stake in Dracula's heart", so to speak, if they want to return to the playoffs.
Good point. I honestly don't know think Geneseo sweeps Cortland this year (obviously anticipating a rematch in the playoffs) with Cortland winning the regular season match up but Geneseo winning the SUNYAC Championship.
First of all, ya better check your tone. I dont think you know who you're talking to. I'm Leonard Washington...I don't get butt naked for nobody!!
Macdaddy17

Post by Macdaddy17 »

Leonard Washington wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 3:14 pm
dp68 wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 2:04 pm
That's Central and Upstate NY in a nutshell. By mid-April, the clouds turn me in Jack Torrance running amok.
:lol:

Who doesn't love a good "The Shining" reference ?

Early in the season, as good as RPI is, not sure what to think about
Geneseo and their loss to them
I was able to catch this game, and I believe this game was a lot closer than what the score represented. RPI, a very good team came out in a zone against the knights (and remained in for 3 quarters) this is something RPI has not shown on film in their two previous games against york and coast guard. This zone seemed to catch the knights by surprise, as it looked like they were unprepared to go against it. Geneseo had some costly turnovers, bad goalie play and a lot of poor shots, they found themselves down early and seemed to be playing catchup imo. Geneseo also struggled in transitions ultimately letting up what I counted to be 9 goals for RPI. If the knights limit TO, get better wing play and shake off the rust I truly think they shock RPI at home. I heard earlier in the year Geneseo landed a 2x All-American Goalie transfer from Nassau CC in the fall. When I looked at the roster, he is still there but did not play on Wednesday. Having a tough time believing he worse than what they had out there on Wednesday.

im excited to see if they will take the next step, and how cortland will respond to Geneseo's success last year. Last year of the true sunyac should be a blast.
dp68

Post by dp68 »

Any freshmen standouts for Geneseo? I'm wondering how Bezek parlayed the SUNY championship into recruiting.
dp68

Post by dp68 »

Let's hope the weather holds up and allows everyone to play today.

Geneseo should ease past Morrisville, but the Cortland - Fisher game looks close on paper. Is Oneonta good enough to push the top-2 SUNY teams? If so, they should be a good match for Skidmore today. If not, then they have their work cut out for them.
dp68

Post by dp68 »

Cortland left no doubt against St. John Fisher, 15-7. Good start for Rogers and company. What struck me were all the new faces for Cortland on both sides of the ball. Lots of kids who didn't play much last year received significant playing time and contributed.
GoBears

Post by GoBears »

Nothing earth shattering, but nice to see the Bears bounce back from a tough loss to SLU with a solid performance vs Utica.

Saka Thompson looks poised for a sophomore in goal, and I can’t remember the last time Potsdam had a goalie that young impact the squad. Defense looks tough too, while the offense is starting to pick up. I haven’t seen the new OCC transfer on the field yet so he must be hurt, but once he’s in the mix with the Walsh boys/Gould at the midfield that should help this SUNYAC slate.

Predicting Potsdam actually shows up in conference this year outside of lopsided bouts vs Genny/Cortland. The Bears should run the next four games. Then they have Oneonta at home, which I think they can win this year. New Paltz also at home, I know they’re chomping at the bit hoping to get some revenge. I will also have the away trips to Brockport/Oswego circled as huge opportunities that are must wins in my mind to make playoffs this year.

Go Bears!
dp68

Post by dp68 »

So who will join SUNY men's lax in 2025 to replace Geneseo and Brockport? Farmingdale and someone else?
VTLaxGuy

Post by VTLaxGuy »

It’s already been announced that Canton and Morrisville will be joining. Not sure about any others but these two are official.

https://www.canton.edu/news/2023/sunyac-members.php
dp68

Post by dp68 »

Thanks, VT. SUNY could have used Farmingdale or Maritime. I hope Canton has a plan to bring their program up to speed. At their current level, they can't compete with any of the existing members.
shouldofbeenbetter

Post by shouldofbeenbetter »

Nice win for Geneseo over IC, hopefully they can come away with Wins at St L. & Clarkson.
Looking forward to 3/23 at Cortland too, will be a good one.
shouldofbeenbetter

Nice win for Geneseo over IC, hopefully they can come away with Wins at St L. & Clarkson.
Looking forward to 3/23 at Cortland too, will be a good one.
xcoach

Post by xcoach »

I'm fully aware that it's a small sample, (2 games) but it appears that Cortland is progressing in the right direction after two convincing wins. It seems evident that Rodgers and staff have the boys' attention. For early in the season the stick work has been crisp, and a heightened urgency on GB's is apparent. Overall, the team looks faster, and ball movement is quick and purposeful, with an absence of dumb, unforced errors. The Dragons have now cleared the roster of 5th and some 6th year players, who it turns out, were getting in the way of many of the kids who are now key participants. The offense in recent years had too many bigger, but not necessarily more athletic pieces. Bigger, power dodgers generally needed more time and space to be effective, resulting in balls getting "stuck" in sticks, while others tried to play off of double teams that never came. This year so far, the ball movement is better, and guys are actually running by people, creating opportunities for off-ball players. The defense is much improved, seemingly faster and more athletic. Cabrini should be a good challenge before the Dragons head to Colorado for some spring break contests. It's early, but things seem to be on the right track.
dp68

Post by dp68 »

Geneseo did not look good against St. Lawrence. Another troubling sign is they only beat IC by a goal, days before IC lost 13-4 to Naz. Bezek has the coaching chops to turn Geneseo around, but they appear to be a work in progress and a full step below where they ended 2023.
shouldofbeenbetter

I agree Geneseo did not look good. St.L was obviously the better team.
Upcoming game vs Clarkson is a winnable game for the Knights, a loss would be ng.
Cortland has a tough game against Cabrini tomorrow, a win here would be nice.
Oneonta looks good, they have a good test coming up vs Stevens.
These three seem to be the top three.
Oswego, Plattsburgh, Potsdam, New Paltz and Brockport will fight it out for the 4th spot
in the SUNYAC tournament.
dp68

Post by dp68 »

shouldofbeenbetter wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 7:06 pm I agree Geneseo did not look good. St.L was obviously the better team.
Upcoming game vs Clarkson is a winnable game for the Knights, a loss would be ng.
Cortland has a tough game against Cabrini tomorrow, a win here would be nice.
Oneonta looks good, they have a good test coming up vs Stevens.
These three seem to be the top three.
Oswego, Plattsburgh, Potsdam, New Paltz and Brockport will fight it out for the 4th spot
in the SUNYAC tournament.
Agree on all points.

Cabrini gave Cortland their first loss in a wild game between two fast-paced teams. That was a lot of fun.

Oswego opened my eyes after their 1-goal loss to Clarkson. Clarkson doesn't look like the team they were the last two years, but they're still solid and would be a viable threat in the SUNY.

A Geneseo win over Clarkson will show they are righting the ship and still on par with (or better than) Cortland. A loss would be extremely troubling, especially given the Oswego-Clarkson result.

We won't learn much about Potsdam over the next 3 games (unless they somehow lose a game). Castleton and Canton look pretty weak, and Poly is a full tier beneath Potsdam. The 3/23 game vs. Oneonta should be interesting.
shouldofbeenbetter

Nice O/T win for the Knights over Clarkson, two evenly matched teams.
Cortland played a tough game with a good Cabrini team. Cortland has some fight in them.
Oneonta is better than the rest of the SUNYs, but still not really sure where they stand yet overall.
Their loss to Stevens wasn't good, I think Oswego is on their heals based on their game against Clarkson.
Not a good showing by Plattsburgh yesterday, Potsdam and New P played weak teams but glad to see they won.
Brockport needed that win, they play a good Naz team next.
Big SUNYAC fan here, i cheer for all of them.
GoBears

Post by GoBears »

I watched Oneonta twice now and don’t think I would say they’re clearly a level above Potsdam or Oswego. Each team has dangerous pieces, but not complete in my opinion.

Haven’t seen New Paltz or Brockport yet unfortunately so I’m not sure what they bring this season, but I’d imagine from what each brings back that this will be a pretty balanced season of parody between everyone not named Cortland/Geneseo..

shouldofbeenbetter wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 11:05 am Nice O/T win for the Knights over Clarkson, two evenly matched teams.
Cortland played a tough game with a good Cabrini team. Cortland has some fight in them.
Oneonta is better than the rest of the SUNYs, but still not really sure where they stand yet overall.
Their loss to Stevens wasn't good, I think Oswego is on their heals based on their game against Clarkson.
Not a good showing by Plattsburgh yesterday, Potsdam and New P played weak teams but glad to see they won.
Brockport needed that win, they play a good Naz team next.
Big SUNYAC fan here, i cheer for all of them.
shouldofbeenbetter

I'm sorry to say not a good showing by Brockport & Plattsburgh today.
Naz is a good team and they certainly showed it today, same with Clarkson.
Cortland is currently in a close game, I hope they can hold on and get a win.
Potsdam, New P and Oneonta with nice wins, although not against the strongest teams.
Where is the SUNYAC going ? Help me out
shouldofbeenbetter

Tough loss today for the Knights, Salisbury is probably the best div 3 team right now
and a model lacrosse program.
Maritime on Saturday will be tough game.

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”