SUNY 2024

D3 Mens Lacrosse
dp68

Re: SUNY 2024

Post by dp68 »

Agree. Brockport could be the biggest loss for SUNY if they hit their potential.
shouldofbeenbetter

Post by shouldofbeenbetter »

The only surprise today in the SUNYAC is how easily Cortland beat Oneonta.
Based on recent scores I thought Oneonta could of played Cortland a little closer.
Potsdam nice win and Geneseo nice win too.
Golden Eagles nice job today, get ready you got two tough games coming up.
dp68

Post by dp68 »

I planned to drive to Cortland for the annual battle of the Red Dragons, but thought better of it. Didn't expect a competitive game. Instead, I attended the Cornell-Harvard game. Turned out to be an excellent decision.

Later, I streamed the Cortland-Oneonta replay and saw pretty much what I expected. Oneonta just isn't good. Cortland needs offensive firepower, but they're still way ahead of the other Red Dragons.

Geneseo overwhelmed Oswego. We're back to a 2-team race. Oswego couldn't clear the ball and looked really sloppy. Geneseo is peaking at the right time.
shouldofbeenbetter

That was a good choice going to watch the Big Red.
Final week of the regular season and it certainly appears to be a two team race.
Some important games though which will determine the final seeding.
Any chance Brockport can upset Geneseo or Potsdam ? Not likely,
Geneseo is playing good and Potsdam is just a better team.
Looking like a Geneseo vs Cortland SUNYAC final based on recent scores.
Leonard Washington

Post by Leonard Washington »

shouldofbeenbetter wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 9:27 am Any chance Brockport can upset Geneseo or Potsdam ? Not likely,
Geneseo probably not but Potsdam yes. Potsdam has a great goalie and solid defense. Can they contain Nate and Nick Askin is the question?

Not sure it happens but would love to see a regular season three way tie for fourth place between Brockport, Oneonta and Potsdam
First of all, ya better check your tone. I dont think you know who you're talking to. I'm Leonard Washington...I don't get butt naked for nobody!!
shouldofbeenbetter

Yea that would be interesting to see a three way tie for the forth spot.
There is a good chance the three of them could finish with league records of 3-4. Possible ?
Leonard Washington

shouldofbeenbetter wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:14 am There is a good chance the three of them could finish with league records of 3-4. Possible ?
If (big if) the following things happen;

Today
Brockport loses to Geneseo
Oneonta beats New Paltz
Potsdam beats Plattsburgh

Saturday
Brockport beats Potsdam
Oneonta loses to Oswego

3 way tie would happen with Brockport beating Potsdam who beat Oneonta who beat Brockport

If Potsdam wins out then they are in and have another date with the Red Dragons (on the road). Unless somehow Oswego pulls an upset against Cortland today :shock:
First of all, ya better check your tone. I dont think you know who you're talking to. I'm Leonard Washington...I don't get butt naked for nobody!!
shouldofbeenbetter

Wow crazy finish
Cortlandlaxdad21

Post by Cortlandlaxdad21 »

What is the tie breaker for sunyac playoffs? If there is a 3 way tie.
dp68

Post by dp68 »

Cortlandlaxdad21 wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:19 pm What is the tie breaker for sunyac playoffs? If there is a 3 way tie.
That's a good question. The SUNY lacrosse tiebreaker rules didn't come up in a Google search. In the case Leonard laid out, you would throw out head-to-head, as the teams would be 1-1 against each other. I'm assuming the next criteria would be net goal differential in league play. Don't quote me on that, but I can't imagine what else it would be.
dp68

Post by dp68 »

Leonard Washington wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 12:54 pm
shouldofbeenbetter wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:14 am There is a good chance the three of them could finish with league records of 3-4. Possible ?
If (big if) the following things happen;

Today
Brockport loses to Geneseo
Oneonta beats New Paltz
Potsdam beats Plattsburgh

Saturday
Brockport beats Potsdam
Oneonta loses to Oswego

3 way tie would happen with Brockport beating Potsdam who beat Oneonta who beat Brockport

If Potsdam wins out then they are in and have another date with the Red Dragons (on the road). Unless somehow Oswego pulls an upset against Cortland today :shock:
Not that big an if anymore. :) We're down to Brockport beating Potsdam (possible) and Oswego beating Oneonta (probable). Should be a fun weekend!
shouldofbeenbetter

As we finish the regular season we see Again that the SUNYAC is a two team race, Ok got it !
But Potsdam vs Bport and Oneonta games, great stuff for a SUNY Lacrosse fan.
You have to win - period ! Go play your butt off.
No scholarships here, just div 3 lax which is good stuff.
Leonard Washington

Cortlandlaxdad21 wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:19 pm What is the tie breaker for sunyac playoffs? If there is a 3 way tie.
I've been told that it is:

1. Head to head among tied teams
2. Goal differential against each other (tied teams) with a maximum of 6 goals

There are a number of scenarios after that but those are the top two
GoBears

Post by GoBears »

Love the tightness for the fourth spot here in that last go for what we know the SUNYs to be! Vintage SUNY vibes for sure.

Potsdam giving a nice schlacking to Platty always warms up my heart, and especially after a few tough L’s. Brockport away is always tricky for the Bears with that long trek down the day before. Hoping Berk & the boys come out victorious!

It feels weird to say, but would almost rather a rematch with C-state this year than Geneseo first round if we make it :shock:
shouldofbeenbetter

Congrats to Potsdam for getting the 4th spot and good luck to all 4 teams in the SUNYAC tournament.
Hopefully the SUNYAC champ will do well in the NCAA tournament
GoBears

Post by GoBears »

Classic last matchup for the Bears and Brockport - will certainly miss that yearly matchup!

Congrats to P Walsh on becoming Potsdam’s all time goal scorer! Hoping for a competitive matchup on Wednesday in Cortland.
Leonard Washington

:shock: :o :shock:

Raise your hand if you had a Geneseo (8 goals ahead of Oswego in the 2nd half)and Potsdam SUNYAC Championship game 8-)

Down goes the #1 seed. When was the last time Cortland didn't make a SUNYAC championship game :?:

Credit to Coach Berkman and the Bears. Great coaching move as they mixed it up and had both Walsh brothers and Rose at the midfield (they have done that more at the end of the season this year). Thompson played great in the goal as he has all year
shouldofbeenbetter

Congrats to Potsdam !!!! Great game !
GoBears

Post by GoBears »

What a day to be a Bear!! The boys were buzzin out there and wanted it more on GBs. This team have got the alumni riled up for this weekend :D

Hopefully a closer game then the first time around and they keep the Walsh bros up top together
dp68

Post by dp68 »

Congratulations to Potsdam. I'll be cheering for you on Saturday. Geneseo looks very strong right now, but you have a real chance.

Coach Rogers - I hope you're recruiting. Wow, the Cortland offense has no punch. I've been watching Cortland lax since 79-80. This is by far the weakest offense I've ever seen at Cortland. Team faceoff unit came in around 47% for the year. Ouch.

Ground balls were an issue all season. I know people like to say it's a "heart stat," but it says more about baseline talent. The more talented teams usually win the ground ball battle. I'll say it right now - Potsdam had more talent on the field than Cortland. This result was not a fluke.

Is Potsdam the new Platty? They have the best goalie in the league by far, and he's only a sophomore. The Bears will lose an excellent midfielder, but his brother put up 52 points and will return in 2025. Lots of young talent. This reminds me of Kavanagh taking over Plattsburgh. It's not difficult to imagine Potsdam as the team to beat in 2025. And hey, maybe they'll beat Geneseo this year. Wouldn't that be something for recruiting?

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”