W&L 2024

D3 Mens Lacrosse
aroundtheoutside

Re: W&L 2024

Post by aroundtheoutside »

Dehuntshigwa’es wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:05 am Andrew Cook, the breakfast, lunch, dinner and dessert player who does it all, with 250 career pts, the last 3 years, is a force. Very curious what his playing time as well as others on the Captains squad will be in this contest. Have to believe the table is set for them for the NCAA tournament. They are focused on their conference tournament, getting the AQ and ruining the Gulls shot at a perfect season. A win would be nice for the General’s resume and ranking for the tournament. Hoping to see some players back
I think CNU will come out swinging. They've underperformed this year and they'll want to head into conference play and NCAA's with momentum. A good win over a great team like W&L would do that for them.

As for Cook, he's been running at attack some to mitigate the short-stick lock-offs teams have thrown at him. W&L is no slouch on defense, I'm very interested to see if they come out with a package or game plan for him specifically, or if they play straight up. I love these chess matches :)
JPAtlantic

Post by JPAtlantic »

valaxfan wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:18 am
Dehuntshigwa’es wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:18 am Generals put it all together this evening, kudos to all on the defensive side of the ball. De Cain had another good outing and Spano once he got warm denied Roanoke the ball, winning 17/25 at 68%. Not all face offs are the same and when Roanoke had a little run he went on a roll. Winning to himself over 50% set him up for a great score as well. The Ssdm group with Cohen,AlbregtsBrennan and Reed are outstanding. When does Beatty get back? The D held a pretty potent offense to 11 goals Noke’s second lowest total ( 10 against Mary Washington )of the year. This is 7 straight which is hard to do. Holding the Kammermans and Docking 3 top scorers to 4 pts is outstanding (they totaled 17 shots only 2 goals). Total turnovers for W&L was 8 which I can guarantee is a low without looking. Good to see Burns out there hard to tell from the webcast if he’s 100%, he certainly had a strong night tonight. Hopefully the Generals can take this win and build on it. Nice game by Elliot 😉
Dehunt, I read this last night in the ODAC thread and here it is now in the W&L thread. Why? Will it go in the York thread next. Come on, this is silly. I just don't understand the need to double post. Anyways......

Generals played a very good close defensive game last night. Luke K. went scoreless, not sure he is still injured or not, looked fine to me live but great job by the close defense, was the difference in the game. Noke scored most of its goals, one on one, believe they had 2 assists. We are missing Colin Beatty. However, the group of 4 sharing the load had a very good game last night. Spano righted the ship in the second half, and the intensity of the wingers on faceoffs was awesome. Jack Elliott had a career night, 5 goals, great job Number 5. Big interstate game on Saturday at CNU, they will be favored.

valaxfan
Expected Goals take on the game:
https://pro.lacrossereference.com/expec ... AH37je33KI
valaxfan

Post by valaxfan »

JPAtlantic wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 1:36 pm
valaxfan wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:18 am
Dehuntshigwa’es wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:18 am Generals put it all together this evening, kudos to all on the defensive side of the ball. De Cain had another good outing and Spano once he got warm denied Roanoke the ball, winning 17/25 at 68%. Not all face offs are the same and when Roanoke had a little run he went on a roll. Winning to himself over 50% set him up for a great score as well. The Ssdm group with Cohen,AlbregtsBrennan and Reed are outstanding. When does Beatty get back? The D held a pretty potent offense to 11 goals Noke’s second lowest total ( 10 against Mary Washington )of the year. This is 7 straight which is hard to do. Holding the Kammermans and Docking 3 top scorers to 4 pts is outstanding (they totaled 17 shots only 2 goals). Total turnovers for W&L was 8 which I can guarantee is a low without looking. Good to see Burns out there hard to tell from the webcast if he’s 100%, he certainly had a strong night tonight. Hopefully the Generals can take this win and build on it. Nice game by Elliot 😉
Dehunt, I read this last night in the ODAC thread and here it is now in the W&L thread. Why? Will it go in the York thread next. Come on, this is silly. I just don't understand the need to double post. Anyways......

Generals played a very good close defensive game last night. Luke K. went scoreless, not sure he is still injured or not, looked fine to me live but great job by the close defense, was the difference in the game. Noke scored most of its goals, one on one, believe they had 2 assists. We are missing Colin Beatty. However, the group of 4 sharing the load had a very good game last night. Spano righted the ship in the second half, and the intensity of the wingers on faceoffs was awesome. Jack Elliott had a career night, 5 goals, great job Number 5. Big interstate game on Saturday at CNU, they will be favored.

valaxfan
Expected Goals take on the game:
https://pro.lacrossereference.com/expec ... AH37je33KI
Thx JPA.

valaxfan
richard

Post by richard »

va,

The few times I have seen W&L this season they look much more physical than I have ever seen them before. Bigger and stronger than Noke and more willing to mix it up. Is that coming from McAbe or is it from the players? I have no clue what happened vs Stevenson. Maybe a hangover from the RIT game but if they were to play nine more times I would take W&L.
The CNU game should be a barn burner. I know you wrote checks and all but I’ll take the generals. :)
W&Lacrosse75

Post by W&Lacrosse75 »

Totally agree. If they BELIEVE they can win vs CNU, they have the tools to do it. (Even with their long list of injuries)

About 3years back, they took CNU to overtime, the highly skilled W&L attackman, Stuart Greenspun, came from behind the goal, the CNU goalie slipped, and all W&L had to do was lob the ball into the open goal. But he slipped as well and the CNU goalie grabbed the ball and threw a pass the length of the field which was caught and stuffed by the CNU attackman for the win.

It has been all downhill since as far as confidence for the Generals vs CNU. They need a win to get it back.
valaxfan

Post by valaxfan »

richard wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 4:38 pm va,

The few times I have seen W&L this season they look much more physical than I have ever seen them before. Bigger and stronger than Noke and more willing to mix it up. Is that coming from McAbe or is it from the players? I have no clue what happened vs Stevenson. Maybe a hangover from the RIT game but if they were to play nine more times I would take W&L.
The CNU game should be a barn burner. I know you wrote checks and all but I’ll take the generals. :)
Richard, you have a great memory. I sure did write those checks for my oldest at CNU, and it was money well spent. He's doing fantastic now. I agree, that the defense is much more aggressive. I still think CNU has the edge. We are missing one of the better SSDMs and if he were in the game, I might put him on Cook and take our chances but he is not. And, the wingmen on the FO have gotten much better. We are missing a key player there too but Coach M. has done a great job getting PT for players and it has paid off. Thanks for the confidence in the Gennies. Hope to catch up soon.

valaxfan
Laxguy703

Post by Laxguy703 »

W&Lacrosse75 wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:37 pm Totally agree. If they BELIEVE they can win vs CNU, they have the tools to do it. (Even with their long list of injuries)

About 3years back, they took CNU to overtime, the highly skilled W&L attackman, Stuart Greenspun, came from behind the goal, the CNU goalie slipped, and all W&L had to do was lob the ball into the open goal. But he slipped as well and the CNU goalie grabbed the ball and threw a pass the length of the field which was caught and stuffed by the CNU attackman for the win.

It has been all downhill since as far as confidence for the Generals vs CNU. They need a win to get it back.
That is not what happened at all in that game lol. Greenspon got stripped by a d-pole at X, the pole picked it up and tossed it to a middie for a fast break which led to the middie hitting the point and Alex Brendes scoring.

Your ending sounds a lot more exciting, but as a CNU fan I was happy with the actual ending :D
W&Lacrosse75

Post by W&Lacrosse75 »

Thanks for refreshing my rapidly fading memory.
BigMoose9

Post by BigMoose9 »

Competitive game today. W&L just made a few too many sloppy mistakes to pull this one out. Time to gear up for the ODAC tournament.
valaxfan

Post by valaxfan »

BigMoose9 wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:37 pm Competitive game today. W&L just made a few too many sloppy mistakes to pull this one out. Time to gear up for the ODAC tournament.
In big, OOC games, too many turnovers plague the Gennies as you pointed out BF, and that happened today. I thought De Cain and Spano had great games, as did moving Datz to wingman, who was awesome today on GBs. CNU announcers made a great observation, too many Gennies passing, not so assertive when they needed to be. Somebody needs to take a chance at a shot. A few times they did but in the second half, wasted possessions just passing it around. Anyway, get ready for ODAC tourney, work on those areas needing improving. Good to see Number 38 playing again.

valaxfan
aroundtheoutside

Post by aroundtheoutside »

I agree, seemed like the W&L offense passed up several great shooting opportunities looking for "one more." If they just let it rip a bit more, they could have had a real shot. Overall, really fun game though. Loved the energy and passion from both teams.
MarionBarry

Post by MarionBarry »

this years team is good, but this program still needs to learn to beat good out of conference competition
Dehuntshigwa’es

Post by Dehuntshigwa’es »

More to go but at this point in the season, who’s your MVP. I’m taking Spano, certainly MVP of the Gettysburg and Lynchburg games. 65% win rate and pulling the same percentage to himself. The game is about possessions and he can create as well as stop a run. With the problem of additional injuries this year and having a freshman goalie he takes a lot of pressure off this team. Hope he’s got some gas in the tank, there’s more to go.
Alex Brown I’ve got as runner up shooting a remarkable 57%. I can’t recall anyone at W&L or any other program with 50 plus goals shooting at that rate
valaxfan

Post by valaxfan »

MarionBarry wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:57 pm this years team is good, but this program still needs to learn to beat good out of conference competition
Agree 100%, case in point, yesterday. Coach M. and staff are moving in that direction, good recruiting class coming in will help.

valaxfan
W&Lacrosse75

Post by W&Lacrosse75 »

Any idea if Andrew Keller is injured? He seems to have disappeared in favor of Cardillo.
Dehuntshigwa’es

Hope the Generals took a glance at the York game yesterday. Tough way to finish a season. RMC will be riding high with momentum on their win with HSC. RMC is the team that beat them in 3 out of 4 quarters last game. Focus on this contest and choke off any hope that RMC may think they have, finish it. Good luck
Chinstrap

Post by Chinstrap »

W&Lacrosse75 wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 7:11 am Any idea if Andrew Keller is injured? He seems to have disappeared in favor of Cardillo.
The fact there are two first year middies in the conversation is a great sign. This is a young team with some steady upperclass leadership.
W&Lacrosse75

Post by W&Lacrosse75 »

Totally agree with that. Maybe the coach is simply giving them vital game experience, just not at the same time. Very shrewd. I saw that Lynchburg did the same thing with Shenandoah. However, they played almost full teams off underclassmen in the second half with expected results vs Shenandoah’s starters.
Dehuntshigwa’es

Hopefully the Generals get a tournament bid. None of this will matter if they get in and advance. Redemption is a wonderful thing. Have to think this will stoke the team to refocus , take nothing for granted and stay in the moment all 60 minutes. Let’s see what happens
MVPiccoli

Post by MVPiccoli »

You know, losses are such teachers. If you embrace them. It's not even losing the game, but your matchup or your performance. I remember putting up a stinker of a game after staying up all night for a capstone course. It was a May conference game, we won. I shed tears afterwards. It's weird what sticks with you. If they get a bid, and I think that's likely, I'm willing to bet they make some noise.

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”