W&L 2024

D3 Mens Lacrosse
W&Lacrosse75

Re: W&L 2024

Post by W&Lacrosse75 »

A great day for W&L vs Gettysburg Lacrosse.

Mens: #12 W&L 15 # 8 Gettysburg 8

Womens: #9 W&L 13 #2 Gettysburg 8

Now on to #9 W&L Womens Basketball vs #6 Wartburg
valaxfan

Post by valaxfan »

W&Lacrosse75 wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 8:20 am VaLax,

I have been following her. Even the opposing team’s play by play teams are saying at every game “we are witnessing history.” She also had 3 blocks and 5 steals and this happens just about every game. The team they beat last night, Rhode Island College, was 29-0.

The team they play tonight, Wartburg, is very tough and deep. Sort of like Tufts mens soccer that W&L beat last Fall.

Go W&L, beat Wartburg AND Gettysburg.
Yea, she’s so good, I’m surprised a D1 school hasn’t approached her. She’s got game.

Good game by the Gennies today, without Allen. Quite A few freshman got PT which is great. On to RIT, will be another test. Go Gennies!!

valaxfan.
Dehuntshigwa’es

Post by Dehuntshigwa’es »

Generals face 2 tough opponents this weekend. RIT has had 2 common opponents w W&L. Denison who they dismantled and a tough York squad who almost beat the Uber 5th year laden squad. Hopeful that Spano can do 50% against the 215 pound, 5th year. W&L is athletic and can play up tempo, they’ve proven that for 2 years now. If I have a concern it’s that all those Canadians can do it slightly better. Slick sticks and a lot of 2 man ball will predominate, stay out of the sin bin. They have a great man up team and are getting great goal play. They are deadly shooters probably at 38% as a team they don’t need a lot of room. Any chance to throw a zone at them occasionally let’s see if De Cain with time can track down their shots. If the Generals can keep them to under 42 shots I’m hopeful over 50 not so much. York really pressed out and made RIT work. Their goalie is seeing the ball take high percentage shots or it’s just a turnover. Take care of the ball every possession will matter in this contest. This Generals group is playing with a lot of confidence, can’t wait!!
JPAtlantic

Post by JPAtlantic »

Some good coverage of the Gettysburg game from inside lacrosse:

https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... wins/62795
Dehuntshigwa’es

Been thinking if Spano goes 50% at York that would be a win which he did. Initially thought the same about French at RIT. I may be underestimating the young man. Getting a sense that French over a short sampling this year has been very good when in fact if you incorporate some of his totals last year I think it’s possible Spano wins the day despite the large difference in age and experience
GeneralBart

Post by GeneralBart »

From Lacrosse Magazine - Mid-Atlantic Boys Player of the Week:

James Meyer, Gilman (Md.)

Meyer and the Greyhounds were down big to Georgetown when they started a comeback for the ages. Trailing 11-3 in the third quarter, Meyer and Jay Rodgers helped the Gilman crew inch closer. Griffin Graham found Rodgers at the doorstep to send it into overtime, which set up Meyer’s heroics in overtime.

The senior midfielder rocketed in a shot from the left wing to send the Greyhounds to a 12-11 win. He finished with a game-high five points on two goals and three assists. Meyer will continue his lacrosse career next year at Washington and Lee.

https://www.usalacrosse.com/magazine/hi ... rs-week-12
valaxfan

Post by valaxfan »

GeneralBart wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 5:22 pm From Lacrosse Magazine - Mid-Atlantic Boys Player of the Week:

James Meyer, Gilman (Md.)

Meyer and the Greyhounds were down big to Georgetown when they started a comeback for the ages. Trailing 11-3 in the third quarter, Meyer and Jay Rodgers helped the Gilman crew inch closer. Griffin Graham found Rodgers at the doorstep to send it into overtime, which set up Meyer’s heroics in overtime.

The senior midfielder rocketed in a shot from the left wing to send the Greyhounds to a 12-11 win. He finished with a game-high five points on two goals and three assists. Meyer will continue his lacrosse career next year at Washington and Lee.

https://www.usalacrosse.com/magazine/hi ... rs-week-12
Looks like a good one. Looking for a Donnie Carroll to accompany him too :D

valaxfan
Dehuntshigwa’es

W&L is discovering the Canadian game, RIT 8 goals 8 assists( head on a swivel boys) from between the hash and on the doorstep. Small things have been the difference W&L has been man down with 2 men down and 3 men down can’t do that w Canadians.. W&L is playing well, if they can score on this man up to start the 3rd they are in it, take better quality shots on those possessions, don’t force some of these feeds , they are in this fight overall playing very well. Surprised they have not tried a zone De Cain has played well off ball D is getting killed

6 penalties according to the stat sheet ? for 6 Minutes has killed W&L, that’s a lot of time not to have the ball plus RIT was 4 for 4 in extra man…RIT just superior lax IQ and experience not surprising w so many 5th year players . Still W&L overall is playing well save for mental errors.

15-9 Generals effort was great today, they will be a far better team after todays contest. Great job by players and coaches , get some rest.
W&Lacrosse75

Post by W&Lacrosse75 »

Agree with you that they played well, with the exception of mental errors. Hopefully Jack Elliott is OK to play tomorrow. Looks like Joey Allen was in a cast on the sideline? Not sure, but he could be lost for the season. We can't lose these kind of players with several ODAC teams heating up and all ready for the upset.
valaxfan

Post by valaxfan »

Gennies played well, 6x6, in fact they stayed with RIT. After that, mental errors, penalties, and 1st quarter shooting were the differences. Jed Heald had a great game with at least 4 CT. Jack Elliott was hot, nice to see Leif Smith score one on EMO. Hillis was a non factor, on shots, he had I think 3 or 4 high ones that the RIT Goalie stopped (who did play well) in that 1st quarter. Believe Brian B. was noted on sidelines (with long pole in hand) in cast, did not see Allen. Hope both can return this year. Bottom line, it's very hard to beat such a talented and experienced RIT team, who took advantage of our mistakes. Good luck tomorrow against Stevie.

valaxfan
Last edited by valaxfan on Sat Mar 16, 2024 12:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Dehuntshigwa’es

That’s a tough RIT squad, starters best I could tell were;
Gaston G
Erickson G
Pitcher G
Grace. Sr
French. G
Winklemann G
Commandant Sr
Perry. Sr
Zborowski So

Have to give this guy a special shout out, that’s good

https://www.instagram.com/p/C4jJumQr67E ... ZjNWtvdg==

5 starters were 5th years, 3 Seniors and a Soph

W&L
Burns Jr
Haley Soph
Brown Sr
Mannino Sr
Elliot Jr
Datz Soph
Ezzell. Jr
Heald. Sr
De Cain Fr
Spano Fr

Not sure how old the Canadians and fifth years are but that’s a different product on the field relative to the Generals. Is RIT better absolutely, they play great lacrosse. My point here is simply that W&L has a very high ceiling going forward. Overall I think I got the starters correct. Also true,W&L can’t afford any more injuries.
Last edited by Dehuntshigwa’es on Fri Mar 15, 2024 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
W&Lacrosse75

Post by W&Lacrosse75 »

I thought it was Allen. Hopefully Brian B and Allen aren’t both in casts. Elliott didn’t look too good either leaving the field.

We need pedal to the medal against Stephenson. (No RIT big effort hangover). Stephenson will be looking to throw caution to the wind to salvage the weekend as hosts.
5Star

Post by 5Star »

Dehuntshigwa’es wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 9:31 pm That’s a tough RIT squad, starters best I could tell were;
Gaston G
Erickson G
Pitcher G
Grace. Sr
French. G
Winklemann G
Commandant Sr
Perry. Sr
Zborowski So

W&L
Burns Jr
Haley Soph
Brown Sr
Mannino Sr
Elliot Jr
Datz Soph
Ezzell. Jr
Heald. Sr
De Cain Fr
Spano Fr

Not sure how old the Canadians and fifth years are but that’s a different product on the field relative to the Generals. Is RIT better absolutely, they play great lacrosse. My point here is simply that W&L has a very high ceiling going forward. Overall I think I got the starters correct. Also true,W&L can’t afford any more injuries.
The list goes on.

RIT 1st Midfield

Mozrall 6th
Grottenthaler Sr
Brunson Sr

W&L Defensive Midfield
Cohen So
Beatty So
Donahue Fr

Lots of room to grow between now and May.
valaxfan

Post by valaxfan »

5Star wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 7:21 am
Dehuntshigwa’es wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 9:31 pm That’s a tough RIT squad, starters best I could tell were;
Gaston G
Erickson G
Pitcher G
Grace. Sr
French. G
Winklemann G
Commandant Sr
Perry. Sr
Zborowski So

W&L
Burns Jr
Haley Soph
Brown Sr
Mannino Sr
Elliot Jr
Datz Soph
Ezzell. Jr
Heald. Sr
De Cain Fr
Spano Fr

The list goes on.

RIT 1st Midfield

Mozrall 6th
Grottenthaler Sr
Brunson Sr

W&L Defensive Midfield
Cohen So
Beatty So
Donahue Fr

Totally agree. Gennies are still relatively young, and looking forward to seeing them grow and mature as lax players.

valaxfan
ChopMan23

Post by ChopMan23 »

valaxfan wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 12:45 pm
5Star wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 7:21 am
Gaston G
Erickson G
Pitcher G
Grace. Sr
French. G
Winklemann G
Commandant Sr
Perry. Sr
Zborowski So

W&L
Burns Jr
Haley Soph
Brown Sr
Mannino Sr
Elliot Jr
Datz Soph
Ezzell. Jr
Heald. Sr
De Cain Fr
Spano Fr

The list goes on.

RIT 1st Midfield

Mozrall 6th
Grottenthaler Sr
Brunson Sr

W&L Defensive Midfield
Cohen So
Beatty So
Donahue Fr

Totally agree. Gennies are still relatively young, and looking forward to seeing them grow and mature as lax players.

valaxfan
They looked great yesterday. Penalties really killed their momentum early on. #5 is a helluva player.
BigMoose9

Post by BigMoose9 »

Tough loss for the Generals today. Disappointing especially after the fight they showed against RIT yesterday.
W&Lacrosse75

Post by W&Lacrosse75 »

I knew they were up against it, having to play the tournament host in front of their home crowd and after having laid it all out against a team that probably drained W&L more than Lynchburg did Stevenson the day before.

But Stevenson, to their credit, never let up, even when they or their opponent made mistakes. W&L also waited too long to make their move. One thing we have all learned in this sport is that you can’t just turn momentum on and off as needed.
Dehuntshigwa’es

Generals with a brutal schedule this season, you knew would hit some bumps in the road. Glad to see the ambitious schedule they play and appearance in the Mustang Classic. All the better programs York CNU Denison etc have strong schedules and will help grow their programs. Maybe the biggest concern is that injury report. Any word on Beatty and others
RIT / W&L Post game comments
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-qCynppvqmA

Stevenson/ W&L Post game comments https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SVN7VnZ ... FIAw%3D%3D
valaxfan

Post by valaxfan »

Generals just came up a bit short. This game shows why you cannot use metrics to predict an outcome. For example, W&L won a majority of faceoffs whom some would boast as a reason to win a game prior to it. But, there is always something else out there that goes into winning and losing an intangible, that you cannot put in numbers, like playing with greater intensity, heart, hustle, vision, etc. And, Stevie had some of those things that allowed them to win so hats off to them for this win. Good to see younger Gennies getting more PT, this will benefit them going forward.

valaxfan
Last edited by valaxfan on Sun Mar 17, 2024 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dehuntshigwa’es

Looking forward to a few games where I think the Genetals will be allowed to go deep into their bench. HSC in several weeks will be interesting they are down from last year and struggled with ONU. Any idea where they are at on the injury front. It would be nice to see who can make it back for that game and obviously the Lynchburg game who I think will determine hosting the ODAC tournament finals. I thought the loss of Porkorny this past weekend was felt not so much for his points but rather leadership on the field. His senior year I felt he really displayed a great game sense at what was required at the moment from him and the offense, that’s tough to coach.

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”