W&L 2024

D3 Mens Lacrosse
Dehuntshigwa’es

Re: W&L 2024

Post by Dehuntshigwa’es »

9-8 Generals both goalies struggling ( that’s another topic ) Spano is as advertised kids playing great for a first game. Ssdm ,why aren’t they taking the ball from OB when they are 20 yds from the ball. Also Cohen has the ball on some clear w what was probably an offensive mid covering him less than a minute, smaller player too. Calling time out allowed the D to set up …W&L had a great match up and let it slip.. Yorks so afraid of him they essentially were shutting him off when clearing. A different Ssdm went in for one run as far as I could tell they went after him immediately and scored bad matchup ..Game going down to the wire goal play remains an issue. Will we see a change at half . Overall W&L looks really good. This freshman mid 18 looks very good. Coaches have these guys on point being a first game
Is there anything wrong with De Cain or Boyd somebody needs to make a stop. They put that same ssdm man in York saw it got a switch behind the cage and scored again not a good matchup . Big games small things matter
It’s early and this is a very good team that will only get better. Positive keys face offs, Spano is going to have an excellent career, freshman middie looks promising, 57 and 32 played great and the offense is very good.i believe 5 freshman saw time …Generals will be a big factor again this year !
Asgot

Post by Asgot »

W&L is talented but if they want to go anywhere they will have to fix there goalie issue
MarionBarry

Post by MarionBarry »

Crickets in this thread now...

Tough loss on Saturday. Overall W&L is still very good and they will be fine at seasons end.

If the Generals want to really take the next step, they need more consistency vs. out of conference opponents and learn how to beat the big names on their schedule not named Lynchburg (I understand that Lynchburg matters most).

1-8 vs. York since 2016
4-8 vs Denison since 2011
1-4 vs. Gettysburg since 2018
1-4 vs. CNU since 2018
W&Lacrosse75

Post by W&Lacrosse75 »

I know there is a feeling that the goalie play was not stellar. I think that was due to 3 issues. The first was that it was his first start in 4 years. But it was also the first game of the year for the defense, which allowed 10 transition goals by York’s defense! They were crank shot goals that were made possible due to both screens and a full head of steam. W&L was leading 13-10 before this barrage, that frankly created chaos and some disorganization from a unit that is trying to gel without the services of Rutgers transfer Harris Hubbard. And to that point, and perhaps to a lesser degree, W&L was, once again, playing a team with 6 grads gracing their roster.

The next few games will hopefully allow some fine tuning, especially with regard to “squaring up” the opposing offenses and not allowing a free reign from 12 yards out to hammer the goalie over and over.

In his defense, he did stop a few of those almost unstoppable shots. We can just hope that he isn’t as they say “shell shocked” already because we need confidence there, something with which the rest of the team can assist.
Laxattackjack

Post by Laxattackjack »

dang. 10 defensive goals? i need to watch that game.
W&Lacrosse75

Post by W&Lacrosse75 »

My bad. I misstated that they were scored by the defense. They were scored or assisted by defensive middies in transition.
Laxattackjack

Post by Laxattackjack »

W&Lacrosse75 wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 4:49 pm My bad. I misstated that they were scored by the defense. They were scored or assisted by defensive middies in transition.
10 was a little of an exaggeration. i counted 7 goals in transition and yes, defense either scored or assisted in 6 of those. gotta give the offense a little credit.
Dehuntshigwa’es

W&Lacrosse75 wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 4:34 pm I know there is a feeling that the goalie play was not stellar. I think that was due to 3 issues. The first was that it was his first start in 4 years. But it was also the first game of the year for the defense, which allowed 10 transition goals by York’s defense! They were crank shot goals that were made possible due to both screens and a full head of steam. W&L was leading 13-10 before this barrage, that frankly created chaos and some disorganization from a unit that is trying to gel without the services of Rutgers transfer Harris Hubbard. And to that point, and perhaps to a lesser degree, W&L was, once again, playing a team with 6 grads gracing their roster.

The next few games will hopefully allow some fine tuning, especially with regard to “squaring up” the opposing offenses and not allowing a free reign from 12 yards out to hammer the goalie over and over.

In his defense, he did stop a few of those almost unstoppable shots. We can just hope that he isn’t as they say “shell shocked” already because we need confidence there, something with which the rest of the team can assist.
[/quote
The Gennies face a lot of 5th year teams this year. I’d suggest just having Hubbard in this game would have gotten the generals a W but why fantasize
RE6ULATOR

Post by RE6ULATOR »

Lots of buzz on “5th year teams.” You just don‘t see similar excuses from NESCAC/Upper Centennials plagued with the same restrictions. The Generals have the institutional prowess to be gunning for those same “nearly Ivy” recruit talents that the likes of Tufts etc are capitalizing on, and consistently winning with. What’s going on with the recruiting there?

In the 3 years leading up to the 2022 season, the Generals went 30-13, which includes the 7 game COVID shortened season. In that span they brought in recruits like the Witherells, Burns, and Hubbard, as well as bringing in DI transfers like Bou. Leading up to 2022 they hired Mendoza as an assistant, and from the 2022 season on they find themselves, again, 30-13, and have seen the end of those potent recruits‘ careers. Now is when we will start to see just what exactly has been kicking as far as the assistant’s recruitment abilities.

After they failed to improve year-over-year results with the previous staff’s stellar recruits, and now coming up just short in their 2024 opener, W&L will face 2 cream puff games before they have a true must win vs Denison. Could we see a hot seat moment looming for the assistant?
W&Lacrosse75

Post by W&Lacrosse75 »

My sense is that W&L is starting to build a solid foundation for next level success and with that comes a more challenging SOS. Players such as Burns, Allen, Haley, Mannino, Keller, Brown, Spano, Beatty, De Cain, Garcia, Heald, Smith, Elliott, and Cohen are going to bring the possibility of turning some of the losses of the past (for instance, losing to Salisbury last year 12-9) into victories. This in turn, as it does with NESCAC schools, will attract even more high level recruits. This success will be the best and strongest marketing possible for the program to realize its’ share of sustained excellence against other top programs inside and outside of the ODAC. (They have already overcome the days in the past when HSC, Roanoke, Lynchburg, York, and Denison were all considered almost insurmountable. Not so much any more.) It is a matter of getting ‘over the hump’ because “seeing is believing” and it breeds high expectations and the confidence that they are within reach.
RE6ULATOR

Post by RE6ULATOR »

Good points. I just need to see “who’s next” as far as a top offensive threat and top close D. Meaning is the recruiting there? Is there an AJ Witherell on that bench somewhere? Because they were able to recruit him and the likes earlier in the process.
W&Lacrosse75

Post by W&Lacrosse75 »

I agree. But as good as AJ was, he was almost a one man show. I like a cluster of scorers every game so the D can’t just shut down either the top gun or everyone but him.

As far as close D, W&L seems to either find them or develop them. We’ll see.

In the meantime, let’s focus on Washington College, which has a bunch of MIAA players and would dearly like to hang their hat on a win vs W&L to jumpstart their rebuild. I recall the days when they routinely bested W&L. Let’s look at them as if they are a top 10 team and not look past them.
Dehuntshigwa’es

RE6ULATOR wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 1:37 pm Lots of buzz on “5th year teams.” You just don‘t see similar excuses from NESCAC/Upper Centennials plagued with the same restrictions. The Generals have the institutional prowess to be gunning for those same “nearly Ivy” recruit talents that the likes of Tufts etc are capitalizing on, and consistently winning with. What’s going on with the recruiting there?

In the 3 years leading up to the 2022 season, the Generals went 30-13, which includes the 7 game COVID shortened season. In that span they brought in recruits like the Witherells, Burns, and Hubbard, as well as bringing in DI transfers like Bou. Leading up to 2022 they hired Mendoza as an assistant, and from the 2022 season on they find themselves, again, 30-13, and have seen the end of those potent recruits‘ careers. Now is when we will start to see just what exactly has been kicking as far as the assistant’s recruitment abilities.

After they failed to improve year-over-year results with the previous staff’s stellar recruits, and now coming up just short in their 2024 opener, W&L will face 2 cream puff games before they have a true must win vs Denison. Could we see a hot seat moment looming for the assistant?
No way. They just came off one of their best years since Dugan played, most wins, I think points and the D ( all components) may have been the most prolific scoring group in all of D3. They’ve been solid at the dot but struggled in some big moments, enter Spano not only did he just go toe to toe w one of the best fogo’s in the country who’s a 5th year but he draws it to himself. The 2 Ssdm now Soph’s are going to be even better than last year. They both will have better seasons than last. The O had a great game for an opener which flashed a freshman M who I think was running on the first line. 5 freshman got time in the opener. The close D will be great again but have to admit Hubbard is a big loss, they will tighten up their coverages and improve their slide packages. Don’t think they’ve even scratched the surface at what they will be. Like to know if need be can they occasionally go to a zone. That might take some time to install. This freshman class looks like it’s another good one. The game has expanded geographically let the NESCAC feast on those New England Prep schools while the W&L brand will grow in lower NY, NJ, Md,Pa,Va, and other southern schools for students who are looking at high academic institutions. Demographics will and are shifting in favor of W&L
RE6ULATOR

Post by RE6ULATOR »

Dehuntshigwa’es wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 8:40 pm they will tighten up their coverages and improve their slide packages. Don’t think they’ve even scratched the surface at what they will be.

Demographics will and are shifting in favor of W&L
Let’s hope. So as a program fan, you feel confident that they are improving, despite the similar outcomes? (30-13 before 22’/ 30-13 after, opening loss, etc)
Dehuntshigwa’es

I thought this was an interesting take ;
https://ycpspartans.com/news/2024/2/19/ ... onors.aspx

Hillis Burns torches York D for 4 goals,3 assists for 7 points while all even ( none are man up pts), shoots 36% and yes Blackmon had a good game w 5 CTO’s but burns generated or was involved in 50% of W&L’s production and 5th year Blackmon was MAC player of the week. Hoping he wins more of these honors shutting down players and giving up 7 points a game
DeepPocket

Post by DeepPocket »

Dehuntshigwa’es wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 8:52 am I thought this was an interesting take ;

Hillis Burns torches York D for 4 goals,3 assists for 7 points while all even ( none are man up pts), shoots 36% and yes Blackmon had a good game w 5 CTO’s but burns generated or was involved in 50% of W&L’s production and 5th year Blackmon was MAC player of the week. Hoping he wins more of these honors shutting down players and giving up 7 points a game
Burns had a great showing in the first half, 4 goals and an assist, and against York’s top D man at that. If that’s all you watched, then yes, he “torched” them.

But I think it’s apparent, from both the scoring summary and watching the game, that it was how Blackmon was able to help turn the tide. After the first half, Burns was held to a mere 2 assists, both in the third. York trailed by just 1 at the half. Shutting Burns down literally was the difference, and it was Blackmon’s task that he accomplished in the second half.

I think if you asked Burns if he would rather have had just 2 goals but won the game, he would have rather had 2 and won the game. They needed him in the second half and Blackmon made him a non-factor.
MAC - The SEC of DIII lacrosse.
Asgot

Post by Asgot »

Dehuntshigwa’es wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 8:52 am I thought this was an interesting take ;

i would say that most of his goals came when Blackmon switched off him. BB held him scoreless for the last 23:45 seconds of the game and only allowed him to take 1 shot. Hillis scored or assisted in 5 of the first 6 goals but had effectively only 2 assists over the last 43 minutes of game time. So I think after a little bit of a rough start Blackmon did a pretty good job.
Dehuntshigwa’es

DeepPocket and Asgot can’t a fan inbibe on his own home page. I’m kicking you both back to York’s turf. 😂.. I was certainly aware of the moment when Blackmon stole the cheese. The box score credits him w 2 gb and 2 CTO’s on your stat sheet I still think 7 pts is a solid first game against a returning 5th year AA last season.
I was addressing these comments to the partisan folk at W&L. Thought it was another great game as have so many of these contests have been…How about that Spano kid winning it to himself 15x or at least that’s how many gbs he had. I think the number was 15/28 .536 against Beast Mode , Facciponti 63% last season AA and now a 5th year player…That was the most important take away I had from this game . W&L now has Bou and Spano that will be a tough combination as the season wears on.
DeepPocket

Post by DeepPocket »

Dehuntshigwa’es wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 11:16 am DeepPocket and Asgot can’t a fan inbibe on his own home page. I’m kicking you both back to York’s turf. 😂.. I was certainly aware of the moment when Blackmon stole the cheese. The box score credits him w 2 gb and 2 CTO’s on your stat sheet I still think 7 pts is a solid first game against a returning 5th year AA last season.
I was addressing these comments to the partisan folk at W&L. Thought it was another great game as have so many of these contests have been…How about that Spano kid winning it to himself 15x or at least that’s how many gbs he had. I think the number was 15/28 .536 against Beast Mode , Facciponti 63% last season AA and now a 5th year player…That was the most important take away I had from this game . W&L now has Bou and Spano that will be a tough combination as the season wears on.
:lol: My bad. For a second there I was back in the good old days arguing these games with you. You guys definitely have something special there in Spano. He matched up well w/ Facciponti. Having another strong option in Bou, for those games where he doesn’t, will be really helpful this year too. Best wishes going forward.
MAC - The SEC of DIII lacrosse.
Dehuntshigwa’es

DeepPocket wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 11:22 am
Dehuntshigwa’es wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 11:16 am DeepPocket and Asgot can’t a fan inbibe on his own home page. I’m kicking you both back to York’s turf. 😂.. I was certainly aware of the moment when Blackmon stole the cheese. The box score credits him w 2 gb and 2 CTO’s on your stat sheet I still think 7 pts is a solid first game against a returning 5th year AA last season.
:lol: My bad. For a second there I was back in the good old days arguing these games with you. You guys definitely have something special there in Spano. He matched up well w/ Facciponti. Having another strong option in Bou, for those games where he doesn’t, will be really helpful this year too. Best wishes going forward.
Just to underscore how strong of a face off unit York had last year there were only 3 games where York was under .500 , Gettysburg 8/13 Denison 13/15 and Tufts 15/18 with Mason Kohn and crew. Only 1 game but everything I had seen and heard about Spano looks to be true. Kid can carry a bit and shoot as well. Good luck in the Mustang and season

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”