Delaware 2024

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Henpecked

Delaware 2024

Post by Henpecked »

The Hens met up with Georgetown on Sunday afternoon at the Tub for their only scheduled scrimmage this fall. The Hens lost the first half 7-5 before removing most of the starters early in the third quarter. The final score through four quarters was Georgetown 11-7 with no goals for either team in the fourth quarter. It was an unbelievably sloppy second half with mostly freshmen playing for the Hens.

Overall, the team looked pretty good defensively (with the exception of two blown assignments), but were a little off on the offensive side of the field. It is obviously going to be impossible to replace Tye Kurtz as the Alpha on offense, but the Hens desperately need someone to take charge. It seemed to me like the offense is still trying to find a flow. Lots of one-on-one with forced shots and very little off-ball movement.

Mike Robinson had three first-half goals and Jason Kolar and JP Ward (assisted by Cam Acchione) had the other two goals.

Game Summary

First off, the Hens started Mike Robinson, JP Ward and freshman John McCurry at attack. The first midfield was Cam Acchione, Nick Jessen and Jason Kolar. The starting close D was Matt Montgomery, Tate Wasson and Colgate transfer Donny Gayhardt. Kevin Ellington started in goal. Starting defensive midfield was Aiden Fritz, Reed Kurtz and LSM Joe Speers, who played great. DeLuca alternated LSMs Patrick Gillen and Nick Cowen on the second rope unit.

The Hoyas got out to a hot start with an unbelievable rip from All-American midfielder Graham Bundy. This was followed shortly by a really nice inside move from X by Patrick Crogan to go up 2-0.

The Hens got off a bunch of shots early but the Georgetown goalie (#0 maybe the freshman Moore?) made some really athletic saves. At one point in the first half he made a save and cleared the ball 80 yards before getting stuffed by Ellington on a shot from inside 5 yards. Very quick and athletic goalie. He was replaced by Scharfenberg in the second half. Hens tied up the game at 2-2 with nice goals by Kolar (unassisted) and Robinson on a nice pass from Riar Schell.

Georgetown's Jordan Wray and Aiden Carroll ended the first quarter on the two goal run to go up 4-2 over the Hens.

Robinson started the second quarter off with a beautiful unassisted low angle shot from the wing to bring it to 4-3. This was followed by another two-goal run by Georgetown on unassisted one-on-one goals by Chase Llewelyn and TJ Haley. Hen's Logan Premtaj won the next two faceoffs and the Hens scored on an outside rip from Robinson and a nice inside goal from Ward to bring the score to 6-5.

The Hoyas ended the first half with a buzzer beater from Brian Minicus to go up 7-5 at the half.

Hen's Premtaj did a nice job at the faceoff circle and ended the first half winning 7 of 13 before being replaced in the second half by Michael Straub and freshman Nolan Bolger, who did not fare well.

Like I mentioned the second half was a bit of a mess on both sides. Lots of blown clears and takeaways. The ball spent a lot of time on the turf.

Georgetown goals in the second half (actually only the third qtr) were scored by Carson Milburn (2), Nicky Solomon and Jake Waldman. Hens goals in the third quarter were scored by Finn Morgan and Nick Fish who both subbed in at attack.

Players who stood out

Georgetown goalie in the first half was outstanding (I counted 8 saves). I believe it was freshman five star recruit Anderson Moore. The kid is terrific. Bundy was Bundy, awesome as per usual. Solomon got off a bunch of shots from inside. He could have had 4-5 goals with more accurate shooting. The starting close D for the Hoyas was super aggressive and kept JP Ward in check. They Hoyas moved the ball nicely on offense but scored mostly one on one goals.

Delaware goalie Kevin Ellington played nicely as did the starting close defense (Gayhardt is a nice addition and Montgomery is a beast). It would have been nice, as a Hen fan, to see more of the offense start with Nick Jessen and Jason Kolar. Both of these middies have the speed and strength to get defenses spinning. That didn't happen yesterday. Freshmen McCurry, Louie Atkinson and Owen Black look like they can all contribute this year. DeLuca played 11 of the 14 freshman recruits extensively in the second half.
Last edited by Henpecked on Tue Oct 31, 2023 9:06 am, edited 2 times in total.
rolldodge

Re: Delaware 2024

Post by rolldodge »

Henpecked wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 9:27 am
The Hoyas ended the first half with a buzzer beater from Brian Minicus to go up 7-5 at the half.

Solomon got off a bunch of shots from inside

I wish Minicus and Solomon were still playing for the Hoyas, but they both graduated.

Otherwise, thanks for the great write up!
Henpecked

Post by Henpecked »

rolldodge wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 9:48 am
Henpecked wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 9:27 am

Solomon got off a bunch of shots from inside

I wish Minicus and Solomon were still playing for the Hoyas, but they both graduated.

Otherwise, thanks for the great write up!
That is so funny. I thought they both graduated. But the Hoyas have not posted their new roster online or anywhere else. Evidently the PA announcer at UD was using last year's roster when announcing goals. I am glad that they are gone. Five years of college is enough.

So replace whoever the new #3 is for Solomon and the new #13 for Minicus whenever Warne decides to update his website. And #29 who scored 2 goals is most likely not Carson Milburn (back-up FOGO who I suppose graduated).

It would have been surprising that either of them would still be in the game in the second half too. HAHA.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Delaware goalie Kevin Ellington
Ellington is my guess as starter at goal.

I had looked forward to Hens bringing in goalie Ben McMullen from Hill Academy, he looked like a real killer, 4-star, but that fell apart.
westworld

Post by westworld »

Ellington will be a killer. Has been waiting quietly behind Kilkeary since he got to Newark. That goalie room has really matured over Deluca’s tenure.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Hens started Mike Robinson, JP Ward and
freshman John McCurry at attack
Hens are deep at attack, even with the loss of Tye Kurtz.

TJ Gravante, Finn Morgan, and also, Brendon Powers very effective with the invert.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Hopefully, Hens sign this guy this week, its NLI signing week — I believe he is their A1 guy for 2024-2025,

Liam Powell

Loyola Blakefield (MD)
Class of 2024 - Defense
6-0 | 195lbs
Right Hand

Committed to Delaware
09/19/2022

Schools Considered:
Johns Hopkins
Loyola
Ohio State
Penn State
Also Considering: Towson
Henpecked

Post by Henpecked »

Waiting to hear about ‘24 schedule. Hens are usually late with posting.

They had a tough time scheduling top 20 teams last year after Duke unexpectedly dropped them. Hopkins has already dropped them this year after a four year run.

I’ve read that both Syracuse and Penn have added the Blue Hens this coming season. If they keep Michigan and Villanova that would give them four decent out-of-conference games. Much better than last year.

CAA will have another down year in my opinion. Towson and Stony Brook should be improved but not sure what to expect from the rest. Drexel and Fairfield are basically starting over with all of the losses from transfers and graduations. And who knows what Tierney will get done at Hofstra? Monmouth and Hampton are non-factors. Wouldn’t be surprised at all if this was the Hens last year in the CAA. Rumors of football team moving out are widespread.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

I’ve been tracking James Madison and UMass football lately,

sort of the worst case and solid to good case of moving to Division I - UMass has generally been horrible, except that they looked like an actual football team against Army this year and have actually won some games, seems like they’ve been able to get in higher level conference transfers. James Madison beat UVA and Marshall, among their good wins, and should finish the year undefeated — some real top level scheduling management.

Sun Belt seems like a good landing spot for the Hens, but then they’d have to go the affiliate route for lacrosse, which I’d guess would be the A-10.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Penn have added the Blue Hens
If the Hens play at Franklin Field - I’ll definitely be there.
Laxbuck

Post by Laxbuck »

10stone5 wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 10:55 am I’ve been tracking James Madison and UMass football lately,

sort of the worst case and solid to good case of moving to Division I - UMass has generally been horrible, except that they looked like an actual football team against Army this year and have actually won some games, seems like they’ve been able to get in higher level conference transfers. James Madison beat UVA and Marshall, among their good wins, and should finish the year undefeated — some real top level scheduling management.

Sun Belt seems like a good landing spot for the Hens, but then they’d have to go the affiliate route for lacrosse, which I’d guess would be the A-10.
Delaware would make the A-10 even stronger.
Henpecked

Post by Henpecked »

10stone5 wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 4:25 pm

Hens are playing at Penn, Saturday 2/24.

They’ve also got Syracuse this year for the first time since ‘86. Assume in the dome early February.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Henpecked wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 9:39 pm

They’ve also got Syracuse this year for the first time since ‘86. Assume in the dome early February.
I should say, hopefully at Franklin and not at Ace Adams,
Quakes had scrimmages at Franklin last year so a high profile out of conference game should warrant a game at Franklin.
Saturday games are much easier getting in and out, park safely on Walnut st by the field - and you can skate right out on 76 after.
Nassaufan

Post by Nassaufan »

Is it true UD is leaving the CAA?
Laxbuck

Post by Laxbuck »

Going to Conference USA. Will be interesting how that affects lacrosse
Laxbuck

Post by Laxbuck »

10stone5 wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 10:22 pm

Quakes had scrimmages at Franklin last year so a high profile out of conference game should warrant a game at Franklin.
Saturday games are much easier getting in and out, park safely on Walnut st by the field - and you can skate right out on 76 after.
The one good thing about a game at Penn Park is you can stand almost on the field. Much better place to watch a game
Henpecked

Post by Henpecked »

Laxbuck wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 5:17 pm
10stone5 wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 10:22 pm

The one good thing about a game at Penn Park is you can stand almost on the field. Much better place to watch a game
Two things:
1. The Hens are playing at Franklin Field vs Penn.
2. Delaware football is moving to FBS football from FCS, and will be playing in Conference USA. That will impact hoops as well. It will be interesting to see if they stay in CAA for lacrosse as an affiliate member or look for another conference to become an affiliate member. They have long time rivalries with Towson, Hofstra and Drexel that would be great to maintain. However, the 7 CAA games that they are required to play bring down their RPI significantly. Plus it limits their ability to play more OOC games against higher-rated teams.

We will see how this shakes out over the next year. Interestingly, the CAA voted to eliminate the rule that kept departing teams out of conference tournaments. This was controversial when Penn State left the CAA and were banned from the post season. It also punished JMU from competing in football when they left for FBS football. UMass was able to play in tournament their last year before moving to A10.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

10stone5 wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 10:55 am I’ve been tracking James Madison and UMass football lately,

You'd be surprised at how many D3 kids are transferring up these days as well. This kid was a complete bonehead who was responsible for 2-4 penalities in every game and suddenly is starting for (a weak) Akron team...(and seen an old buddy whos HC of Muhlenberg promote his kids to transfer up).

https://gozips.com/sports/football/rost ... frank/8581
Same sword they knight you they gon' good night you with
Thats' only half if they like you
That ain't even the half what they might do
Don't believe me, ask Michael
See Martin, Malcolm
See Jesus, Judas; Caesar, Brutus
See success is like suicide
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

This seems to me a good sign for DeLuca — good for his longevity with the Hens, more dinero inbound from “revenue-producing-sports”.

With the A-10 the Hens would spare them from a sudden drop in NCAA eligibility being the 7th team,
and RPI-wise, you’d have all 7 teams relatively on par ratings-wise.

The CAA made their decision, brought in Hampton,
ain’t no free lunch.
Laxbuck

Post by Laxbuck »

Delaware in the A-10 would be a big add and would be a good fit

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”