Notre Dame 2024

D1 Mens Lacrosse
CJ's Pub

Re: Notre Dame 2024

Post by CJ's Pub »

South Bend will be jammed packed and buzzing this weekend. 11:30 am face off @ Arlotta Stadium followed by the annual Blue vs. Gold Football game at 1pm @ ND Stadium. Arlotta has had incredible turnouts each home game and I expect this one to be sold out as well. I wonder if Jordan Faison will make an appearance in the Blue Gold game. I am guessing he wont.

UNC defense only allowing 10 goals per game. Not sure if they can keep ND's #1 rated offense to that number but it should be a good battle.

11 different goal scorers for ND on Sunday vs. Cornell. Incredible depth up and down the lineup. 2 goals from D-Mids and 1 LongPole goal.
Mr3Putt

Post by Mr3Putt »

UNC goals against avg. is swayed heavily because they are v good at faceoffs. May take another duo effort vs the Heels. UNC dumped Metzbower and do not have an identity on offense. Two v good freshman who shoot a lot, make some, w high turnover rate. Bad shots are turnovers , and that is not a stat. They don’t get enough people involved.
44WeWantMore

Post by 44WeWantMore »

CJ's Pub wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 7:04 pm South Bend will be jammed packed and buzzing this weekend. 11:30 am face off @ Arlotta Stadium followed by the annual Blue vs. Gold Football game at 1pm @ ND Stadium. Arlotta has had incredible turnouts each home game and I expect this one to be sold out as well. I wonder if Jordan Faison will make an appearance in the Blue Gold game. I am guessing he wont.

UNC defense only allowing 10 goals per game. Not sure if they can keep ND's #1 rated offense to that number but it should be a good battle.

11 different goal scorers for ND on Sunday vs. Cornell. Incredible depth up and down the lineup. 2 goals from D-Mids and 1 LongPole goal.
I heard a story that Jim Brown went back and forth between a track meet an a lacrosse game (and of course was great in both).
Be in their flowing cups freshly rememb'red.
CJ's Pub

Post by CJ's Pub »

Great win after a slow start through the first half. Credit to UNC for battling for 30 minutes despite being depleted, missing both Duffy and Barton, their two standouts on offense/ defense.

Another game ND shows their depth, with 9 different goal scorers. Tyler Buchner saw a ton of action as a D-Mid and even notched his first career point. Will Lynch was out for the game, hope he is resting up and recovering to get back out there this weekend. Chris Kavanagh is having a sneaky phenomenal season, only trailing his brother by 2 points for the team lead. Looking at his stats from last year, it looks like Chirs has evenly balanced his goal and assist totals, coming into his own as an all around great attackman. He is a fun player to watch and has as good of an outside shot as anyone I have seen in college this year.

ND taveling down to Charlottesville for a battle against the Cavaliers who are coming off 2 straight losses. Its always tough for opponents to win at Klockner so its going to be another great test for this ND squad. UVA defense has been getting lit up the last 2 weeks, with goalie Matt Nunes looking vulnerable early on. ND is going to have to test him early and not let him get into a groove. Nunes was ND's kryptonite in their 2 regular season matchups last season.

I would think with a win, ND can clinch the #1 seed in the NCAA tournament regardless of the ACC tournament outcome. Thoughts ? As of now, it looks like ND and UVA will play first round of the ACC tournament, granted if Duke gets by UNC this weekend. Should be interesting strategy for both squads this weekend, potentially keeping some ammo and tricks up their sleeve for their ACC tournament matchup.
BigTurn

Post by BigTurn »

CJ's Pub wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 5:35 pm Great win after a slow start through the first half. Credit to UNC for battling for 30 minutes despite being depleted, missing both Duffy and Barton, their two standouts on offense/ defense.

Another game ND shows their depth, with 9 different goal scorers. Tyler Buchner saw a ton of action as a D-Mid and even notched his first career point. Will Lynch was out for the game, hope he is resting up and recovering to get back out there this weekend. Chris Kavanagh is having a sneaky phenomenal season, only trailing his brother by 2 points for the team lead. Looking at his stats from last year, it looks like Chirs has evenly balanced his goal and assist totals, coming into his own as an all around great attackman. He is a fun player to watch and has as good of an outside shot as anyone I have seen in college this year.

ND taveling down to Charlottesville for a battle against the Cavaliers who are coming off 2 straight losses. Its always tough for opponents to win at Klockner so its going to be another great test for this ND squad. UVA defense has been getting lit up the last 2 weeks, with goalie Matt Nunes looking vulnerable early on. ND is going to have to test him early and not let him get into a groove. Nunes was ND's kryptonite in their 2 regular season matchups last season.

I would think with a win, ND can clinch the #1 seed in the NCAA tournament regardless of the ACC tournament outcome. Thoughts ? As of now, it looks like ND and UVA will play first round of the ACC tournament, granted if Duke gets by UNC this weekend. Should be interesting strategy for both squads this weekend, potentially keeping some ammo and tricks up their sleeve for their ACC tournament matchup.
Yes, I think ND should all but lock up NCAA 1 seed with a win in Cville. Something that I’ve been pondering on is whether it’s worth it to even win in ACC tournament? That’s two very tough games in 3 days just a week before NCAAs, might be best to just run our depth in first round against UVA provided they win the regular season game.
NYlax222

Post by NYlax222 »

Be interesting to see how UVA plays this weekend. Super proud - and talented - and well coached - program, coming off couple of losses
. As others (including Quint) have pointed out, their D seems exposed when they slide. Be interesting to see how effective ND is drawing those slides. Of course, in Philly in the epic semifinal game, key to ND comeback/win was exploiting UVA D off slide.
You make an interesting point about the potential drain on a team from ACC tourney prior to NCAA. can't imagine any ACC team 'resting' key players in ACC tourney.... For ND, UVA, then (hopefully) two ACC games, then (hopefully) three Tourney games. Incredible lacrosse ahead.
BigTurn

Post by BigTurn »

No, I don’t expect KC to rest anyone, but I wouldn’t be surprised if he ran 3 mids and got Bayman some burn at attack like they did v. UNC. Gotta love this time of year.

Also we’re going for 4 tournament games ;)
CJ's Pub

Post by CJ's Pub »

NYlax222 wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 6:10 pm Be interesting to see how UVA plays this weekend. Super proud - and talented - and well coached - program, coming off couple of losses
. As others (including Quint) have pointed out, their D seems exposed when they slide. Be interesting to see how effective ND is drawing those slides. Of course, in Philly in the epic semifinal game, key to ND comeback/win was exploiting UVA D off slide.
You make an interesting point about the potential drain on a team from ACC tourney prior to NCAA. can't imagine any ACC team 'resting' key players in ACC tourney.... For ND, UVA, then (hopefully) two ACC games, then (hopefully) three Tourney games. Incredible lacrosse ahead.

I noticed during Saturdays game, Corrigan rolled out the 3rd line midfield on a consistent basis. Walker, Seymour, and Finley provide solid depth and can hold their own. Remember, Seymour had an excellent tournament last year with 2 big goals in the QF game against Hopkins, and an assist in the NC game against Duke. Maybe we will see more attack depth this weekend, to preserve the health of Pat, Chris and Jake. Jake looked like he took a shot to the head coming around the cage Saturday. Health heading into the tournament should be of paramount importance.
NYlax222

Post by NYlax222 »

Nice points. agree, was great to see more time for 3rd line and others at SSDM, and health so key. Love the depth of this team, and how well coached they are. Watching the EMO unit is magic -
CJ's Pub

Post by CJ's Pub »

NYlax222 wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 6:24 pm Nice points. agree, was great to see more time for 3rd line and others at SSDM, and health so key. Love the depth of this team, and how well coached they are. Watching the EMO unit is magic -
Its magic, and its historic. Currently the man up unit is 20/27 on the year good for 74% which would be a D1 record for a season. Absolutely incredible and its not getting enough attention. Teams have tried everything but nothing works. Tried shutting off Pat K, but Chris can still pass and distribute. Tried locking off Jake inside, Pat can pass to Chris or Dobson on the wing, or skip to the pipes to Jeff and Devin. Truly incredible unit to watch. UVAs length on the perimeter may give them trouble, but the ball movement is nothing like ive seen before.
NYlax222

Post by NYlax222 »

Well said. To me, the roster construction of EMO a microcosm of entire roster KC has put together, and developed. Amazing set of complementary skills on that EMO - pick your poison who/how to defend.
Finster

Post by Finster »

NYlax222 wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 6:37 pm Well said. To me, the roster construction of EMO a microcosm of entire roster KC has put together, and developed. Amazing set of complementary skills on that EMO - pick your poison who/how to defend.

I’m going out on a limb here and claim that UVA wins this weekend. 12-10.
BigTurn

Post by BigTurn »

Will be interesting to see if Conlin or Lyght draws Shelly. Lyght has been a solid cover but has gotten lost at times off ball. Conlin drew BO and did a nice job.
CJ's Pub

Post by CJ's Pub »

BigTurn wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 7:11 pm Will be interesting to see if Conlin or Lyght draws Shelly. Lyght has been a solid cover but has gotten lost at times off ball. Conlin drew BO and did a nice job.
My initial thoughts would be Conlin on Shelly, and match Lyght against the other freshman Millon. That will be the first of many matchups over their careers. Fun games inside the game. Kastner and Shroter are 2 giants who always give the Kavs trouble with their size and length. ND ball movement will be the key to the game.
Laxguy703

Post by Laxguy703 »

Finster wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 7:04 pm
NYlax222 wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 6:37 pm Well said. To me, the roster construction of EMO a microcosm of entire roster KC has put together, and developed. Amazing set of complementary skills on that EMO - pick your poison who/how to defend.

Agreed with this prediction. UVA has had ND’s number the past few years. 6-1 against the Fighting Irish over their last 7 matchups and that one loss was a game where the Hoos led the whole time before some late game heroics by Taylor/Entenmann/Tevlin. Long & Lanky poles have seemed to be the Kavanaghs kryptonite and UVA has a few of those. Parlay all of that with a UVA team coming off 2 losses and I expect to see the Hoos playing with fire.
BigTurn

Post by BigTurn »

Would imagine Conlin gets Shelly as well.

UVA was pretty awful guarding 2 man game against Cuse. Would expect to see a decent amount of pairs sets come Saturday.

Need to eliminate transition looks, UVA is always looking to get up and out. Actually cost them a couple this past weekend.
3rdPersonPlural

Post by 3rdPersonPlural »

Laxguy703 wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 7:48 pm

Agreed with this prediction. UVA has had ND’s number the past few years. 6-1 against the Fighting Irish over their last 7 matchups and that one loss was a game where the Hoos led the whole time before some late game heroics by Taylor/Entenmann/Tevlin. Long & Lanky poles have seemed to be the Kavanaghs kryptonite and UVA has a few of those. Parlay all of that with a UVA team coming off 2 losses and I expect to see the Hoos playing with fire.
It's a new rock-paper-scissors:

Virginia beats Notre Dame
Notre Dame beats Duke
Duke beats Virginia

Lather/rinse/repeat
azim21

Post by azim21 »

Laxguy703 wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 7:48 pm

I'm gonna be that guy and actually mention that the Irish led 2-0 early, led 4-3 end of 1st, and tied 6-6 at half. The hoos led late in 3rd and early in 4th, but then yes the late game heroics in the last 3 minutes by those guys was the difference. Taking out the first game in South Bend last year, it was the 3rd quarter in the game @ UVA and in the final four where the hoos started to take off against the Irish. So I'm really going to be interested to see what happens in the 3rd quarter this year. Assuming Will Lynch plays I think the Irish have the edge in this game, but if Nunes has a day and those long, lanky poles do enough to slow down the Irish attack, wouldn't be surprised if UVA wins as they need this win much more than the Irish do.
azim21

Post by azim21 »

I thought about bringing this point up a few weeks ago, and maybe it's a conversation for its own thread, but I really do not see any benefit to the ACC tourney for the 4 teams playing in it this year (Assuming UNC doesn't knock off Duke as I think they technically have a path where they could still make it in). ND, Duke, and Syracuse should all be locks for the NCAA tournament. Maybe there's a case UVA could be left out if they lose to ND this week and first round of ACC tourney (that'd be four straight losses to end the year), but the committee has them at #5 so I just don't see it happening. I can't imagine coaches will rest starters, but I just don't see any benefit whatsoever to winning the ACC tourney when there's no auto-bid. I guess seeding could be what's on the line (especially for UVA), but if I'm Corrigan and I win this weekend, I'd consider limiting the runs of the 1st line middies and starting attack as they should be a lock for that 1 seed. Just isn't worth the risk of injury when your goal is the National Championship, not the ACC tournament championship. Maybe I'm looking at this the wrong way idk.

I will say from a fan's perspective, I love it and cannot wait for the ACC tournament. Going to be some awesome games!
BigTurn

Post by BigTurn »

azim21 wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 2:03 pm I thought about bringing this point up a few weeks ago, and maybe it's a conversation for its own thread, but I really do not see any benefit to the ACC tourney for the 4 teams playing in it this year (Assuming UNC doesn't knock off Duke as I think they technically have a path where they could still make it in). ND, Duke, and Syracuse should all be locks for the NCAA tournament. Maybe there's a case UVA could be left out if they lose to ND this week and first round of ACC tourney (that'd be four straight losses to end the year), but the committee has them at #5 so I just don't see it happening. I can't imagine coaches will rest starters, but I just don't see any benefit whatsoever to winning the ACC tourney when there's no auto-bid. I guess seeding could be what's on the line (especially for UVA), but if I'm Corrigan and I win this weekend, I'd consider limiting the runs of the 1st line middies and starting attack as they should be a lock for that 1 seed. Just isn't worth the risk of injury when your goal is the National Championship, not the ACC tournament championship. Maybe I'm looking at this the wrong way idk.

I will say from a fan's perspective, I love it and cannot wait for the ACC tournament. Going to be some awesome games!
Agree. Seeding is only thing at stake here. I think ideally, ND wins this week and then run everybody against UVA first round ACC and whatever happens, happens. Absolute worst case they fall to #2 seed in NCAA tourney.

I’ve heard Lynch had a head injury from Cornell game, I’m thinking he’ll likely dress. Hagstrom filled in nicely last week if not.

Also, hate to admit this, but I think that UVA team beats ND 7 out of 10 times last year. ND just got the one that counted.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”