MAC 2024

D3 Mens Lacrosse
DeepPocket

Re: MAC 2024

Post by DeepPocket »

Really surprised by Eastern dropping to Ursinus. When they were playing with Swarthmore, you could really see that they BELIEVED they could hang with anyone. That loss appears to have quashed that belief, and has quickly spun into 3 straight.

One of the NCAA bball talking heads (I believe it was Fanta) said he doesn’t really understand the buzz about keeping the same guys for an additional eligibility year. Something like, “they’re still the same guys that didn’t get the job done last year.“

5th years have been talked about on here like they’re some sort of cheat code, and not having that “luxury” is some sort of badge of honor. Perusing the scoreboard would indicate that having the best players is significantly more important than having the oldest players.
MAC - The SEC of DIII lacrosse.
laxdad1434

Post by laxdad1434 »

DeepPocket wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 1:38 pm Really surprised by Eastern dropping to Ursinus. When they were playing with Swarthmore, you could really see that they BELIEVED they could hang with anyone. That loss appears to have quashed that belief, and has quickly spun into 3 straight.

One of the NCAA bball talking heads (I believe it was Fanta) said he doesn’t really understand the buzz about keeping the same guys for an additional eligibility year. Something like, “they’re still the same guys that didn’t get the job done last year.“

5th years have been talked about on here like they’re some sort of cheat code, and not having that “luxury” is some sort of badge of honor. Perusing the scoreboard would indicate that having the best players is significantly more important than having the oldest players.
The same thing I was saying pre-season. It made no sense to think a team that was spanked by every good team they played last year would do a total 180 because they played 1 good half against Stevenson.
Not Suitable

Post by Not Suitable »

DeepPocket wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 1:38 pm Really surprised by Eastern dropping to Ursinus. When they were playing with Swarthmore, you could really see that they BELIEVED they could hang with anyone. That loss appears to have quashed that belief, and has quickly spun into 3 straight.

I couldn't agree more Deep. I'll never forget something one of my coaches said before we went into Summer break after losing in the tournament, "You don't automatically get better at Lacrosse just because you're one year older."
StevieUAlum

Post by StevieUAlum »

laxdad1434 wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 1:55 pm

The same thing I was saying pre-season. It made no sense to think a team that was spanked by every good team they played last year would do a total 180 because they played 1 good half against Stevenson.
I'd have to agree with laxdad.

Eastern showed promise and glimpses but to have them be put in the same tier in the preseason as York/Stevens/Stevenson in the MAC was entirely premature.

The three aforementioned teams above have taken a total of 5 losses so far this year and these games have been closely contested games against some of the best teams in the country.
DeepPocket

Post by DeepPocket »

StevieUAlum wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 2:44 pm Eastern showed promise and glimpses but to have them be put in the same tier in the preseason as York/Stevens/Stevenson in the MAC was entirely premature.

The three aforementioned teams above have taken a total of 5 losses so far this year and these games have been closely contested games against some of the best teams in the country.
I have to admit, I thought that Eastern was further along than these last 2 games suggest (more in line with how they looked vs Swarthmore). I also thought that Stevenson was potentially more down than these recent scores suggest. So for me personally it wasn’t so much Eastern catching up with that upper tier as it was Eastern improving and Stevenson declining, and as such, those 2 being more comparable than in years past.

I’m glad Stevenson looks to be solid. I hope Eastern finds that confidence they had w/ Swarthmore and continues to build. I hope Messiah continues their upward recruiting trend as well. I’m thinking the revised “heat map conference rankings” done here will have the MAC-C sitting a few spots up this year.
Laxattackjack

Post by Laxattackjack »

it seems i was off on this one also. eastern finished strong last year. but is off to a slow start. probably still in the top 4 of the mac, but at this point, i don’t seem them making the championship game.
CentennialPundit

Post by CentennialPundit »

Laxattackjack wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 6:05 pm it seems i was off on this one also. eastern finished strong last year. but is off to a slow start. probably still in the top 4 of the mac, but at this point, i don’t seem them making the championship game.
If I remember right their grad student faceoff guy got hurt at the beginning of the Swarthmore game. He was a big part of their success. Not the only reason their struggling, but one of their best players went down, not sure if he’s played since.
DeepPocket

Post by DeepPocket »

CentennialPundit wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 6:22 pm
Laxattackjack wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 6:05 pm it seems i was off on this one also. eastern finished strong last year. but is off to a slow start. probably still in the top 4 of the mac, but at this point, i don’t seem them making the championship game.
If I remember right their grad student faceoff guy got hurt at the beginning of the Swarthmore game. He was a big part of their success. Not the only reason their struggling, but one of their best players went down, not sure if he’s played since.
McClain. No he hasn’t played since, very good point.
DeepPocket

Post by DeepPocket »

Weekly MACtion of note;

Tuesday
Widener vs Emerson

Friday
York vs St Lawrence
Stevenson vs Lynchburg

Saturday
York vs Dickinson
Stevenson vs W&L
Eastern vs Stockton
Arcadia vs Swarthmore
StevieUAlum

Post by StevieUAlum »

Hoping for a rebound performance this weekend for my guys!

Couldn't finish against a much more experienced and senior laden team in Dickinson.

Hope all comers enjoy this weekend at the Classic! I will be in attendance!
DeepPocket

Post by DeepPocket »

StevieUAlum wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 2:37 pm Hoping for a rebound performance this weekend for my guys!

Couldn't finish against a much more experienced and senior laden team in Dickinson.

The DIII lacrosse community owes Stevenson a debt of gratitude for putting this event together. That’s for sure.
AbeFroeman

Post by AbeFroeman »

DeepPocket wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 7:00 pm
StevieUAlum wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 2:37 pm Hoping for a rebound performance this weekend for my guys!

The DIII lacrosse community owes Stevenson a debt of gratitude for putting this event together. That’s for sure.
i have only been following the mustang classic for two years. seems to be the best event of D3 (besides the tournament). has it always been this big?
JPAtlantic

Post by JPAtlantic »

AbeFroeman wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 8:17 am
DeepPocket wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 7:00 pm

i have only been following the mustang classic for two years. seems to be the best event of D3 (besides the tournament). has it always been this big?
It looks like this is the 10th anniversary. It has been going on since 2014 (year after Stevenson won the National Championship). It was known as the Greene Turtle Classic in 2015 & 16, but has always had incredible competition.
MVPiccoli

Post by MVPiccoli »

Re: the Mustang Classic, I think it's seen as even more valuable by HCs now due to the updated nature of the tournament. It's a great mid-season trial run. Back to back games against some really solid squads. And you get to see who's who...scouting opportunities galore.
Duckdad

Post by Duckdad »

Ducks had 2 wins this weekend. They will need to shoot better moving forward to have national success. Goalie is playing well and they are winning FO. 1st Midfield is very strong.
DeepPocket

Post by DeepPocket »

Duckdad wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 4:00 pm Ducks had 2 wins this weekend. They will need to shoot better moving forward to have national success. Goalie is playing well and they are winning FO. 1st Midfield is very strong.
The Ducks certainly have a talented team, and are churning out a solid season. They are getting more and more love in the polls, and have Wesleyan and Tufts looming this week.

Stevenson also had a solid showing this past Saturday, grabbing a win vs W&L.

MACtion of note this week-

Wednesday
Stevens vs Wesleyan

Friday
Eastern vs Cabrini (one last walk across the street)

Saturday
Stevens vs Tufts
Stevenson vs Salisbury
York vs Grove City
Messiah vs St Mary’s
Misericordia vs Stockton
Widener vs Arcadia
laxrules

Post by laxrules »

I believe the MaC -C may go to Stevenson this year. I believe the games will be close. The MAC-c is now a one bid league!
DeepPocket

Post by DeepPocket »

laxrules wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:00 am I believe the MaC -C may go to Stevenson this year. I believe the games will be close. The MAC-c is now a one bid league!
It’s been a one bid league for the last 2 years.
laxrules

Post by laxrules »

Yes true. guess what I meant is York is usually in the discussion for a pool c but that discussion is now closed in 2024
DeepPocket

Post by DeepPocket »

laxrules wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:21 am … York is usually in the discussion for a pool c …
Also incorrect. They’ve been the AQ since they entered the conference.

They will need the AQ this year, same as last year.

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”