MAC 2024

D3 Mens Lacrosse
StevieUAlum

Re: MAC 2024

Post by StevieUAlum »

DeepPocket wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 9:09 pm
MVPiccoli wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 8:51 pm StevieUAlum has been gracious on other topics. I like him. A list is a list. I think the 3-4 estimate is pretty spot on.

I DISLIKE Eastern and Stevenson for different reasons, but respect both, and frankly I'm jealous y'all get to watch your boys play in 2025 and beyond, but I digress.

Actually focused my attention on this thread because Widener was on my mind. That program, and university, man, if anyone stands to gain from Cabrini's loss, I think it's the Pride (should have stuck with Pioneers you administrative goons, I'm off topic again). So much local talent looking for the right DIII fit. No offense to Eastern or the other local spots, but those are not the place for young, less educationally inclined (in HS!), savages. I wonder how, or if, they can figure it out. Rob Chambers is no Colfer IMO. Lockard was lazy. They haven't had a real one in the head man spot since Jamie Steele, again IMO. Sleeping giant.
On Widener, I agree with most of this. I’ve noted on this forum in recent years that Widener plays a more scrappy, workman style brand. Often out talented by Eastern, but never out worked, as they competed with their different styles for that third MAC spot.

Clearly Chambers has the current players buying in, as we see them staying for grad years. I don’t know the reason why we didn’t see him make a few portal moves this year, and with just 6 incoming freshmen. Perhaps if they can do some damage returning all of last year’s top 10 scorers, they can make themselves more attractive to both commits and transfers alike …
Would love to point out that Widener was Stevensons biggest challenge from 2013-2017 in the early stages of the original MAC Lacrosse Conference.

It was a huge rivalry through that time span and Widener had some ranked teams in those years. Specifically 2013 & 2017, Widener played Stevenson to within one goal, two AA players believe it was Dashiell and Pritchett who scored game winners for the boys on those days.

Widener boasted some great AA caliber guys from those years, the Taylor Brothers (Tim and Shane), Mac Nestler was a phenomenal goalie.

I personally think it would be great for the optics of the conference for Widener to be relevant again. The MAC needs to become similar to the ODAC and Centennial with 3-4 ranked, quality teams who all make the NCAA tournament, grow the game.
laxdad1434

Post by laxdad1434 »

StevieUAlum wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 11:50 am
MVPiccoli wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 8:51 pm StevieUAlum has been gracious on other topics. I like him. A list is a list. I think the 3-4 estimate is pretty spot on.

I DISLIKE Eastern and Stevenson for different reasons, but respect both, and frankly I'm jealous y'all get to watch your boys play in 2025 and beyond, but I digress.

Actually focused my attention on this thread because Widener was on my mind. That program, and university, man, if anyone stands to gain from Cabrini's loss, I think it's the Pride (should have stuck with Pioneers you administrative goons, I'm off topic again). So much local talent looking for the right DIII fit. No offense to Eastern or the other local spots, but those are not the place for young, less educationally inclined (in HS!), savages. I wonder how, or if, they can figure it out. Rob Chambers is no Colfer IMO. Lockard was lazy. They haven't had a real one in the head man spot since Jamie Steele, again IMO. Sleeping giant.
On Widener, I agree with most of this. I’ve noted on this forum in recent years that Widener plays a more scrappy, workman style brand. Often out talented by Eastern, but never out worked, as they competed with their different styles for that third MAC spot.

Clearly Chambers has the current players buying in, as we see them staying for grad years. I don’t know the reason why we didn’t see him make a few portal moves this year, and with just 6 incoming freshmen. Perhaps if they can do some damage returning all of last year’s top 10 scorers, they can make themselves more attractive to both commits and transfers alike …
Would love to point out that Widener was Stevensons biggest challenge from 2013-2017 in the early stages of the original MAC Lacrosse Conference.

It was a huge rivalry through that time span and Widener had some ranked teams in those years. Specifically 2013 & 2017, Widener played Stevenson to within one goal, two AA players believe it was Dashiell and Pritchett who scored game winners for the boys on those days.

Widener boasted some great AA caliber guys from those years, the Taylor Brothers (Tim and Shane), Mac Nestler was a phenomenal goalie.

I personally think it would be great for the optics of the conference for Widener to be relevant again. The MAC needs to become similar to the ODAC and Centennial with 3-4 ranked, quality teams who all make the NCAA tournament, grow the game.
ODAC doesn't have 3-4 ranked teams,.
StevieUAlum

Post by StevieUAlum »

laxdad1434 wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 12:40 pm

ODAC doesn't have 3-4 ranked teams,.
Lynchburg, W&L and Roanoke are usually ranked year and year out. Hampden-Sydney has been very competitive year and year out recently.

So much recency bias. Have to take each programs past success into consideration. ODAC usually has 3 ranked teams yearly.
DeepPocket

Post by DeepPocket »

I would love to see the MAC-C with 3-4 teams in the conversation for top 20 mentions. At the moment, I believe Eastern is closer than Widener, while Messiah and Hood have also both been working to advance their programs. The conference is in a good place to move in a positive direction, and I also think this will force some complacent MAC staffs to step up their game to compete. There can no longer be a presumption of a 3rd or 4th place and a conference tournament spot guaranteed… and the rising tide will lifts all ships as they say.
MAC - The SEC of DIII lacrosse.
Duckdad

Post by Duckdad »

RPI beating York. Watched RPI beat Stevens last week. Was 15-11 RPI and thought the ducks played slow!! Nice win for RPI. York will bounce back.

Stevens rolled Stockton for 4 quarters. 19-4. Stockton misses their big scorers that graduates.

The 5th quarter scoreboard was off and it was 3-2 in favor of Stevens. A pretty poorly reffed scrimmage and a bunch of “bad calls and no calls”…not saying it was poor one way, but poor reffed scrimmage.
StevieUAlum

Post by StevieUAlum »

My Mustangs got back on track with 17-3 win in their scrimmage vs WAC this afternoon. Word has it the St. Mary's scrimmage was a flop, up 12-5 and lost 14-13 in the end.

Hearing the defense and goalie play will be their strengths. Some freshman will be seeing time on offense but expect a lot of their points and offense to be initiated from the midfield. Scaliti, Zick, Searing in particular. Two freshman I'm hearing might have serious contributions, Bryant and Gossen.

In other news, I am rather surprised by Yorks showing. RPI might be a sleeping giant up North. I expect Childs to have York ready for their gauntlet of a schedule coming up. Can't count them out and I still expect 2-3 wins early.
MVPiccoli

Post by MVPiccoli »

Childs will get them right. I watched part of the stream. Early season tests are great teaching tools. Still have everything in front of them. RPI is solid.

Dude, y'all whooped the Shoremen 17-3??? Scrimmage or not, that's a bummer for WAC.

On the Widener tip, maybe I don't give Lockard enough of his due. My experiences with the guy off the field and in club ball after college just weren't the best. To say nothing of what we saw from the him in collegiate competition. Benign example, we had them down 12-8 in the '03 pigtail game. They expected to roll, two of us forced him out of bounds behind their goal on a failed clear. Rather than drop the ball and resume play, he threw it 50 yards away from the field into the woods. He was just like that all the time in our 20s. But I forgot about those AAs and close calls with you all.
Laxattackjack

Post by Laxattackjack »

i think the battle at the top of the MAC is going to be closer than expected. i still think York wins it. but i wouldn’t be surprised to see some close games between york/Eastern/Stevenson.
NElaxtalent

Post by NElaxtalent »

Laxattackjack wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 9:25 am i think the battle at the top of the MAC is going to be closer than expected. i still think York wins it. but i wouldn’t be surprised to see some close games between york/Eastern/Stevenson.
Agreed, in 2024 you've got 2 likely groupings:

Tier 1: York, Eastern, Stevenson
Tier 2: Widener, Messiah, Hood

What will be the groupings for 2025? Aka who is trending up vs who peaked in 2024?
laxrules

Post by laxrules »

NElaxtalent wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 11:52 am [quote=Laxattackjack post_id=518011 time=<a href="tel:1707661557">1707661557</a> user_id=4907]
i think the battle at the top of the MAC is going to be closer than expected. i still think York wins it. but i wouldn’t be surprised to see some close games between york/Eastern/Stevenson.
Agreed, in 2024 you've got 2 likely groupings:

Tier 1: York, Eastern, Stevenson
Tier 2: Widener, Messiah, Hood

What will be the groupings for 2025? Aka who is trending up vs who peaked in 2024?
[/quote]

I do think Stevenson could challenge York. But I think eastern on top tier is premature. Replacing a great coach and sone of their stumbles in 2023 tells me that they are not there.

Tier 1: York, Stevenson
Tier 2: Eastern ,Widener
Tier 2b: Messiah, Hood
DeepPocket

Post by DeepPocket »

Big week ahead for the MACs.
Games of note include;

York hosting W&L

Stevens hosting Dickinson

Stevenson hosting Muhlenberg

Eastern visits WAC

Messiah visits Catholic

Widener visits Swarthmore
SKUD

Post by SKUD »

Great games 1-5 or 2-4?
DeepPocket

Post by DeepPocket »

SKUD wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 11:12 pm Great games 1-5 or 2-4?
Give me 4-2
York
Dickinson
Stevenson
Eastern
Messiah
Swarthmore
NElaxtalent

Post by NElaxtalent »

DeepPocket wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 5:10 am
Give me 4-2
York
Dickinson
Stevenson
Eastern
Messiah
Swarthmore
I like your picks but having to beat #7 W&L is a tough way for York to avoid an 0-2 start. With RIT and Salisbury looming, the W&L and F&M games both almost feel like early "must wins".

Good luck OOC to all the MAC teams.
StevieUAlum

Post by StevieUAlum »

Very excited to get the season rolling for the Stangs this weekend. I've seen Muhlenberg ranked at 19/20 consistently so hoping for a good showing and win for my guys.

The schedule Cantabene trotted out this year is substantially different than years past. Missing those star studded matchups of old with Cortland, RIT and Tufts. Assuming the trip both ways has become costly for schools especially if it is resulting in 10-12 goal difference that we have seen in years past.

Either way I'm excited for the youth movement on offense coupled with a senior laden defense and experienced rope unit for the Stangs. Hoping we can get back to nationla prominence and relevancy.
DeepPocket

Post by DeepPocket »

Decent amount of chatter on the upcoming Eastern WAC game. A storied program like WAC oft is given the benefit of the doubt in such previews. I don’t follow their roster, but it sounds like they had some significant losses to graduation and that’s coming off a 23’ campaign that I don’t think many would label as overwhelmingly positive.

Eastern on the other hand returned all of their top 10 scorers, and added a 6’3” 200lb undergrad transfer from CNU. If Coach Thompson’s staff recruited him, chances are the kid can ball. What was a 4 goal loss last year can possibly turn out quite different in 2024.

Here’s a write up from Philly lacrosse on the Fanellis of Eastern.
https://phillylacrosse.com/2024/college ... his-goals/
DeepPocket

Post by DeepPocket »

DeepPocket wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 5:43 pm .. Albright, just 18 players.
Even more grim is the fact that Albright lists 0 (ZERO) freshmen on their roster, a ripple that will unfortunately last for years. I’m not sure what the staff intends to accomplish with such limited numbers.
Happy to report that Albright’s roster has jumped from 18 to 28. And in addition to now showing a few freshmen, they also pulled in a transfer. From the Netherlands, by way of DII WheelingU, 6’3” attackman Joost Van der Horst. He also played for Netherlands in the 2023 Worlds, where he scored 3 goals and an assist. He started for the Lions in their 15-10 win vs FDU last weekend, scoring 5 goals in the appearance.

This game was a loss last year. Happy to see some effort to improve, as they’ll look to flip their previous results vs Drew as well this weekend.
DeepPocket

Post by DeepPocket »

Give me 4-2
York
Dickinson
Stevenson
Eastern
Messiah
Swarthmore
Yep, something like that…
NElaxtalent

Post by NElaxtalent »

Give me 4-2
York
Dickinson
Stevenson
Eastern
Messiah
Swarthmore
Nicely done.

MAC-C showed out (despite Widener being MIA)
Asgot

Post by Asgot »

And Steven’s took Dickinson to the brink. Love how Eastern doubled up WAC and Messiah with a nice win

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”