Camps and Tournaments

HS Boys Lacrosse
MommaLax

Camps and Tournaments

Post by MommaLax »

There are so many tournament, showcases, prospect days, camps out there. As a parent, especially a parent from a non-traditional area, I was tired of asking the club coach about an event, only to find out they knew nothing about it. One event had a bunch of the target schools my son was interested in but I wasn't sure if it would be worth my time. Then I stumbled across this website called TheVoyce.com. It appears to be a tournament directory website where people have provided feedback. I actually found the showcase my son was interested in on there and there were a couple reviews. Has anyone used this site? From my experience the feedback was spot on with the quality of the event.
NNELax

Re: Camps and Tournaments

Post by NNELax »

That's a great resource. It can definitely be daunting for parents on what to attend and what not to. I also think it's gotten out of control the amount MS and HS kids are playing. Going straight from the spring season and playing into August is not sustainable and we aren't giving kids the opportunity to be kids...Off my soapbox

Now I always told my players to evaluate prospect days, individual showcases/camps and tournaments with this analogy.

Prospect Day: Fishing in a small pond (great for schools you really seriously are considering to meet the coaching staff and see the campus)
Individual Showcase: Fishing in a large lake (Why fish in the lake if they don't stock is with the fish you want to catch?)
Tournaments: Fishing in the Ocean (You could see a lot of fish or none at all...)

There are A LOT of events just out to make money and they pay coaches to be there. This is how college assistants can make a livable wage. There are also GREAT events. Like anything...due diligence is always encouraged.

Return to “HS BOYS LACROSSE”