CABRINI 2024

D3 Mens Lacrosse
MVPiccoli

Re: CABRINI 2024

Post by MVPiccoli »

Colf had a few zone concepts installed over the years. Last one looked a little like the Wesleyan backer zone, but conceptually wasn't the same. They ran it situationally and as a tempo killer. Not really to hide anyone. I don't think they'll be shelling up this season. They have some talented poles and decent athletes at SSDM. Deluca was positionally sound as a defenseman, hounded passing lanes, and took low risk high reward chances in takeaway situations. He corralled Wolf in the NC. Can't tell you how many pass pickoffs the guy had. My bet would be continuity on that side of the ball. Teach what he knows.

If the scrimmages are any indication, they have an offensive axe to grind with the world. Less reliant on hero ball then in years past. Made passes inside consistently. I think the "I'm here to get mine" attitudes all found a way out. What remains is a visibly ferocious team based commitment.
Not Suitable

Post by Not Suitable »

5 Cavs on the Preseason AA list, the entire attack, Hewitt at SSDM, and Kutyla on D. I expect Bear Evans to be on that list.
MVPiccoli

Post by MVPiccoli »

Not Suitable wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 8:29 am 5 Cavs on the Preseason AA list, the entire attack, Hewitt at SSDM, and Kutyla on D. I expect Bear Evans to be on that list.
The lacrosse world will def have eyes on our boys throughout the season. Some will be hoping to see them implode. Some will be rooting for them to go out on their shields and do something amazing. Some of us just want to savor the last breaths in the last year we'll see our colors competing. Coaching staffs of our opponents and beyond will be looking to see if there is anything to go after for their own benefit next season. Regardless, I think they'll be garnering more collective attention than in any season that came before.

I've never put much into AA lists, I don't get upset about them, I don't really think they matter that much.

I thought Jordan Krug and Deluca, in 2019, were clearly two of THE BEST at their positions (among the other fabulous players on that roster). The AA voters did not. That proved itself out on the field too. That year, Wolf was a great player, put up great numbers, had the brand of being the bro of an all time great D1 college player, and the NESCAC billing. Anyone that watched that Natty saw Deluca suffocate him. And watched Krug bully his way to what the offense wanted, and deal with early slides schemed to stop him from doing that. Not to mention Ty Kostack whose jump cuts were more athletic than anything on the field that day or in the division that year. I think the subjective nature of AA lists will always be there. I hope they ignore all of it.
mailsy

Post by mailsy »

2 weeks away til the last opening game for the Cavs. Still very sad. Roll Cavs Forever!!! See you up on the hill!
MVPiccoli

Post by MVPiccoli »

mailsy wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 10:56 am 2 weeks away til the last opening game for the Cavs. Still very sad. Roll Cavs Forever!!! See you up on the hill!
See that update email from Deluca? Can't wait to see the boys get after it. As I stated before, I think we are going to be in for a treat. My only concern remains season long health. In contrast to years past, where we would see starters subbed out the second half of most CSAC games, they will be in the fire this year. Might end up being a good thing, IDK.
Laxattackjack

Post by Laxattackjack »

MVPiccoli wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 12:01 pm
mailsy wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 10:56 am 2 weeks away til the last opening game for the Cavs. Still very sad. Roll Cavs Forever!!! See you up on the hill!
See that update email from Deluca? Can't wait to see the boys get after it. As I stated before, I think we are going to be in for a treat. My only concern remains season long health. In contrast to years past, where we would see starters subbed out the second half of most CSAC games, they will be in the fire this year. Might end up being a good thing, IDK.
Can you imagine being on a college team where you know you will play most of every game. Even in blowouts. Some of these kids might set school records.
MVPiccoli

Post by MVPiccoli »

Laxattackjack wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 12:48 pm
MVPiccoli wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 12:01 pm
Can you imagine being on a college team where you know you will play most of every game. Even in blowouts. Some of these kids might set school records.
As a player, you want to play right, all the time. If this was my time in Radnor, I'd love it. As a coach, when you're afforded a deep bench, you need to get those non-starters development time and game reps whenever possible. To keep them engaged, to keep them placated, to set them up for the future. That song isn't in Deluca's playlist this season. Freeing.
MVPiccoli

Post by MVPiccoli »

I have three kids, 10, 7, and 3 years old. On 2/27, between the three hyenas, we have two birthday parties, a tennis session, gymnastics, and baseball winter workouts. Over the last 24 hours I had to coordinate coverage with two sets of grandparents, a good friend, and then explain to my wife why this childcare coverage was important enough to handle so I could attend the Haverford game. For all you young bucks out there, enjoy your scheduling freedom while you can!
Asgot

Post by Asgot »

Heard that their scrimmage with F&M was a little back and forth with F&M controlling the 1st half and Cabrini playing better in the 2nd half
MVPiccoli

Post by MVPiccoli »

Asgot wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 3:14 pm Heard that their scrimmage with F&M was a little back and forth with F&M controlling the 1st half and Cabrini playing better in the 2nd half
Thanks for the update homie.
cltlax

Post by cltlax »

MVPiccoli

Post by MVPiccoli »

Thanks for sharing man. Wonderfully written by Jason. Their choice to stay present, the awareness of load management, the tactics employed by Deluca. Lots of great takeaways. Already proud of all 27 men for their outputs, regardless of the outcomes this season. Special group of dudes.
Not Suitable

Post by Not Suitable »

MVPiccoli wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 7:35 am
Thanks for sharing man. Wonderfully written by Jason. Their choice to stay present, the awareness of load management, the tactics employed by Deluca. Lots of great takeaways. Already proud of all 27 men for their outputs, regardless of the outcomes this season. Special group of dudes.
Jason also has a very entertaining podcast, "The Lax Lounge" on most major platforms. Good insight on what's going on with the team and current players as guests to give their background.

Tomorrow starts the beginning of the end. Roll Damn Cavs!
MVPiccoli

Post by MVPiccoli »

I had no idea about the lax lounge. That's awesome. The older I get, the less I seem to know.
mailsy

Post by mailsy »

Game time at 4pm. See you on the hill.
pcowlax

Post by pcowlax »

Best of luck to Cabrini, kudos to all the players and rooting for a special year for them.
MVPiccoli

Post by MVPiccoli »

pcowlax wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 9:40 am Best of luck to Cabrini, kudos to all the players and rooting for a special year for them.
Much appreciated PCOW. Means a lot.

16-9 Cavs, 3 minutes left. Riding feverishly. Lots of crisp ball movement. Great communication on defense. Making the right reads offensively. 27 dog soldiers out there. Skipper? Dawg. McManus? Dawg. Horranz? DAWG. Evans? Dawg. McCormick? Crazy, crazy, rabies infected, DAWG. So very impressed and so very thankful for these young men.

"Named after a Cheyenne legend in which dogs transformed into fierce fighters, Dog Soldiers wore large feather headdresses with bird-bone whistles around their necks. The most elite Dog Soldiers wore "Dog Ropes," which were sashes made from buffalo skin and decorated with porcupine quills, feathers and beads. During battle, the soldier would stake his Dog Rope to the ground and fight from that location through the end of the battle. He could not leave the site until the battle was over and a fellow soldier had unpinned his sash."
MVPiccoli

Post by MVPiccoli »

17-10. AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!

Kirk has been a standout on close too. SSDM's really held their ground today. Lots of tests ahead. Lots of wonderful coaches that honored their commitments. This offense is going to be a problem for all of them. Gotta tighten up the shot rebounds and establish the physicality around the crease. The pride those boys are playing with, incredible.
MVPiccoli

Post by MVPiccoli »

Less emotional take on the Haverford game. Deluca won the coaching battle IMO. Sub game needs some clean up. Haverford had 5+ goals on preventable transition and unsecured rebounds.

Offensively, they played free, with lots of off ball movement. 12 players contributed with at least an assist. Ganster benefited from boys making the extra pass. That was not happening last season. Herraiz, Vaughn, and a couple others were winning their match-ups and spinning the ball.

Skipper was not guessing. This is a great sign. He made the saves you hope for, and was clearly locked in.

Bear Evans took a real step forward from last season, nasty. Would not want him chasing me down the alley free to chuck some lumber. Kirk is a big boy. Looks slow but it's deceiving. He covers a lot of ground. All the poles and SSDMs handled their clears, and Haverford's 10 man, with some clean passing and communication.

Spring break road trip to VA will test our legs and lack of depth. Lynchburg will be favored and rightfully so. Even with the loss to the Bullets, Coach K will get them right and they'll come out hungry. I still think Lynchburg is a top 5 team and has a chance to win it all this year. Too much talent. The HSC game should be a fun one, but that turnaround will be tough on our collective CNS.
Not Suitable

Post by Not Suitable »

East Coast Dyes is releasing their trailer for the Cabrini Documentary today. They also posted a video from the locker room of the guys celebrating Delucas first win. Great show of respect for a great guy. I have gotten to know Tommy over the years and had the pleasure of playing with him. Stand up guy on and off the field. I hope he lands a top tier assistant position after this year.

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”