ODAC 2024

D3 Mens Lacrosse
Frank Rizzo

Re: ODAC 2024

Post by Frank Rizzo »

ODAD wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 3:07 pm Lynchburg holding on against Salisbury:
Definitely a strong test for the hornets that will pay off in April.
Do they have enough in the tank for another half?

HSC losing to St Mary’s:
Bad loss here. Expected a 5-6 goal win.
That’s going to add some pressure going forward.

Noke v. Denison coming up:
Surely a solid matchup. Hoping Noke puts up enough for the W.

W&L v Denison tomorrow:
Should be a good one!
Predictions?
HSC was outplayed in the first half 7-4. Had a great second half but couldn’t finish. 10-9 OT
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

ODAD wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 3:07 pm Lynchburg holding on against Salisbury:
Definitely a strong test for the hornets that will pay off in April.
Do they have enough in the tank for another half?

HSC losing to St Mary’s:
Bad loss here. Expected a 5-6 goal win.
That’s going to add some pressure going forward.

Noke v. Denison coming up:
Surely a solid matchup. Hoping Noke puts up enough for the W.

W&L v Denison tomorrow:
Should be a good one!
Predictions?
W & L 14 Denison 10
Laxattackjack

Post by Laxattackjack »

roanoke might be the best team in the ODAC this year.
MarionBarry

Post by MarionBarry »

Laxattackjack wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 8:15 pm roanoke might be the best team in the ODAC this year.
Yea let's slow down with that take...
HomerCoach

Post by HomerCoach »

MarionBarry wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 8:47 pm
Laxattackjack wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 8:15 pm roanoke might be the best team in the ODAC this year.
+1
Frank Rizzo

Post by Frank Rizzo »

Don’t sleep on Randy Mac
Laxattackjack

Post by Laxattackjack »

one loss to the #5 team in the road by 2 goals.

meanwhile lynchburg beat by several to #1 and #8
W&L loss to to #12

HSC just lost to unranked team.

until i see something different, Roanoke is the team to beat in the ODAC.
Dehuntshigwa’es

Post by Dehuntshigwa’es »

Laxattackjack wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 9:22 pm

W&L loss to to #12

Dehuntshigwa’es

That just doesn’t make sense laxattack, W&L has won 6 in a row against Noke and Lynchburg has won 7 in a row. They are 0-13 against those 2 teams and only 6-4 last ten with HSC. They are not dominating anyone
Laxattackjack

Post by Laxattackjack »

Dehuntshigwa’es wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 9:44 pm That just doesn’t make sense laxattack, W&L has won 6 in a row against Noke and Lynchburg has won 7 in a row. They are 0-13 against those 2 teams and only 6-4 last ten with HSC. They are not dominating anyone
i agree. the past few years, roanoke was maybe the 5th best in the ODAC. new year. they are playing better than expected. RMC also playing better than expected. Lynchburgh and W&L are off to a slow start. time will tell. but my rankings this monday will have Roanoke ranked above the other two. it all might change when march is over.
Dehuntshigwa’es

Roanoke is important to the overall health of the ODAC. They need to be a top 20 team as does HSC, W&L and Lynchburg. Nice to see Randy Mac continuing to improve. The landscape is changing under the feet of Roanoke, Lburg and HSC. Great programs w great history but CNU is slowly and steadily becoming the Salisbury of the South. Like Salisbury it’s a state school that’s has a big edge over the schools I mentioned. I’ve watched this train coming for years now and they aren’t going away. Not saying they will win a national title every year nor may they ever( especially if not this year) but they will continually be a top 10 team drawing the top in state players away from the other ODAC teams. It’s at the margin where they may get 1-2 players a year for every team that’s in ODAC that instead goes to the Captains. Anyone agree with this
valaxfan

Post by valaxfan »

Laxattackjack wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 9:22 pm

W&L loss to to #12

I watched the entire Noke vs Dickinson game. IMO, Dickinson is NOT the number 5 team in the country, they are over-ranked. Roanoke was the more agressive and faster team yesterday, and could have won that game. BUT, Dickinson is NOT the number 5 team, not trying to take anything away from Noke but that is my opinion. Noke should be in the top 20 though.

valaxfan
ODAD

Post by ODAD »

Dehuntshigwa’es wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 10:49 pm Roanoke is important to the overall health of the ODAC. They need to be a top 20 team as does HSC, W&L and Lynchburg. Nice to see Randy Mac continuing to improve. The landscape is changing under the feet of Roanoke, Lburg and HSC. Great programs w great history but CNU is slowly and steadily becoming the Salisbury of the South. Like Salisbury it’s a state school that’s has a big edge over the schools I mentioned. I’ve watched this train coming for years now and they aren’t going away. Not saying they will win a national title every year nor may they ever( especially if not this year) but they will continually be a top 10 team drawing the top in state players away from the other ODAC teams. It’s at the margin where they may get 1-2 players a year for every team that’s in ODAC that instead goes to the Captains. Anyone agree with this
I agree for sure. I think Lynchburg will be more immune to the shift than W&L - HSC - Noke. Not only is it a great program at a purely a lacrosse school, but it’s also relatively easy to get into like CNU. The hornets will have to continue playing the best schedule and win big games to stay relevant while CNU is having their moment. Both things I think will continue.
Laxattackjack

Post by Laxattackjack »

Dehuntshigwa’es wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 10:49 pm Roanoke is important to the overall health of the ODAC. They need to be a top 20 team as does HSC, W&L and Lynchburg. Nice to see Randy Mac continuing to improve. The landscape is changing under the feet of Roanoke, Lburg and HSC. Great programs w great history but CNU is slowly and steadily becoming the Salisbury of the South. Like Salisbury it’s a state school that’s has a big edge over the schools I mentioned. I’ve watched this train coming for years now and they aren’t going away. Not saying they will win a national title every year nor may they ever( especially if not this year) but they will continually be a top 10 team drawing the top in state players away from the other ODAC teams. It’s at the margin where they may get 1-2 players a year for every team that’s in ODAC that instead goes to the Captains. Anyone agree with this
i could be way off. but i feel like CNU is just throwing the kitchen sink at college lax. along with taking advantage of the 5th and 6th year players (that will be done in one more year). CNU gives offers to so many kids, then pressures them to make a commitment, all while keeping so many grad kids, that they younger kids don’t get to see much time. compare that to the other schools you mentioned, they are all playing freshman and sophomores. unless CNU can stack a few nattys, i don’t think they are in a position to continue to get the best D3 kids each recruit year, if they know they can just go to any other top team and get a good chance to see the field.

combine that with the outrageous out of state cost, i don’t see them being a top 4 team for long. D3 will always have Salisbury, and the top NASCAC team as the top of the pack for a while. the rest of the top 15 will probably be similar to what we see now
SaltCounty

Post by SaltCounty »

ODAD wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 8:13 am
I agree for sure. I think Lynchburg will be more immune to the shift than W&L - HSC - Noke. Not only is it a great program at a purely a lacrosse school, but it’s also relatively easy to get into like CNU. The hornets will have to continue playing the best schedule and win big games to stay relevant while CNU is having their moment. Both things I think will continue.
Interesting point about the health of the ODAC.
What will also affect the shift is # of teams going to the NCAA tournament.
Right now - it looks like it's 2-bid league this year.
Say LC and W&L don't earn a quality win, or a quality win loses it's significance over time (IE. Denison loses NCAC to Kenyon)
It could very well be a 1-bid league in 2024.
Dehuntshigwa’es

ODAD, W&L doesn’t recruit the same player as CNU, Lynchburg, Roanoke or HSC. It’s a totally different profile, more aligned with the NESCSC, Haverford, Swarthmore type schools. CNU might take a hit after this season losing so many sr’s and 5th year players but they are built for the long term. I think they will continue to thrive in that top 10 category. That said this is it, win it this year or they won’t for a long time
aroundtheoutside

Post by aroundtheoutside »

All those expecting CNU to be a flash in the pan aren't seeing the long arc of what's been happening in Newport News since Mikey Thompson has taken over. They've done nothing but gradually ascend over the past decade. Yes they get to enjoy the benefit of a roster loaded with 5th year stars this season, but they've been highly successful against the ODAC since before those guys were on the roster.

I think they have two losses to ODAC teams since '19 (one to W&L, one to Lynchburg), and a long list of wins since they seem to play Lynchburg, W&L, HSC, Roanoke and RMC almost every year.

In '21 they beat Lynchburg to make it to the Final Four (their first final four I believe?) when only a few of the current roster were contributing, and Andrew Cook wasn't even on the team. Point being, it's silly to think that they'll just go away after this year's graduation. Of course they'll take a step back next season, but how big of a step back? I have a hard time seeing them any lower than a firmly top 10 team for the foreseeable future. Coach Thompson is also clearly working in a lot more young guys to the rotation this season to start building for the future.

Cheers to many years of exciting CNU/ODAC matchups to come.
OSVAlacrosse

Post by OSVAlacrosse »

Dehuntshigwa’es wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 9:55 am
ODAD, W&L doesn’t recruit the same player as CNU, Lynchburg, Roanoke or HSC. It’s a totally different profile, more aligned with the NESCSC, Haverford, Swarthmore type schools. CNU might take a hit after this season losing so many sr’s and 5th year players but they are built for the long term. I think they will continue to thrive in that top 10 category. That said this is it, win it this year or they won’t for a long time
Of note, CNU also has six players committed in the class of 2025. They also are getting D1 transfers and may get another this summer. I agree about W&L recruiting different players but LYN/HSC/Noke are all not getting the in state players. VA has only a few D1 options and CNU manages to get players that were getting D1 interest. I think the success of the Virginia Tech program is also a talent drain for the other ODAC schools trying to get in state players.
JPAtlantic

Post by JPAtlantic »

OSVAlacrosse wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 3:45 pm
Of note, CNU also has six players committed in the class of 2025. They also are getting D1 transfers and may get another this summer. I agree about W&L recruiting different players but LYN/HSC/Noke are all not getting the in state players. VA has only a few D1 options and CNU manages to get players that were getting D1 interest. I think the success of the Virginia Tech program is also a talent drain for the other ODAC schools trying to get in state players.
How is CNU’s situation any different than Salisbury? A great coach at a large state school can built a lasting dominant program.
Jumbo

Post by Jumbo »

JPAtlantic wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 4:05 pm
OSVAlacrosse wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 3:45 pm
How is CNU’s situation any different than Salisbury? A great coach at a large state school can built a lasting dominant program.
i can’t tell if this is sarcasm. but i will pretend to is was a serious question.

they are completely different.

salisbury is a proven success (nattys) and undisputed king of D3 for the past 30 years. players have been leaving D1 programs for years to try and play at SU. CNU never even made a final 4 until the 6th year mess.

the longer CNU goes without a national championship appearance, the less top recruits will be picking this school.

in reality, CNU is in a class with Lynchburg, York, W&L etc. very good programs but still not proven to be a perennial powerhouse top 5 team.

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”