ODAC 2024

D3 Mens Lacrosse
Devil4Life

Re: ODAC 2024

Post by Devil4Life »

valaxfan wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 8:08 am
Laxattackjack wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 9:22 pm
MarionBarry wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 8:47 pm
Laxattackjack wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 8:15 pm roanoke might be the best team in the ODAC this year.
Yea let's slow down with that take...
one loss to the #5 team in the road by 2 goals.

meanwhile lynchburg beat by several to #1 and #8
W&L loss to to #12

HSC just lost to unranked team.

until i see something different, Roanoke is the team to beat in the ODAC.
I watched the entire Noke vs Dickinson game. IMO, Dickinson is NOT the number 5 team in the country, they are over-ranked. Roanoke was the more agressive and faster team yesterday, and could have won that game. BUT, Dickinson is NOT the number 5 team, not trying to take anything away from Noke but that is my opinion. Noke should be in the top 20 though.

valaxfan
Hope W&L and DC decide to meet at Sparks yearly and then we can watch two good teams play. Roanoke played well yesterday. DC -not so much. The game reminded me of Denison W&L game- very sloppy with lots of unforced turnovers, poor clears and inability to pick of GBs. Hate to say it but it is February lacrosse for two leagues that do not allow teams to start earlier than 2/1. DC’s gauntlet starts now with Kenyon, @ Stevenson and CNU and York at Mustang Classic. You may be right but this group has gone 39-5 in little over 2 years, lost to CNU by 1 in Mustang Classic and in OT in Final 8 and beat Gettysburg 3-4 and lost only two other 1 goal games-not bad. There are lot of talented players and wish the best teams only played top 20 teams out of their conference. Would be better for all of the fans. W&L is a great lax program especially considering the academic requirements. Good luck the rest of the season - you have some great kids on that team- Leif Smith being one of them. Hope to see each other in NCAAs.
W&Lacrosse75

Post by W&Lacrosse75 »

Actually, playing in DC has become routine for a lot of schools. Denison played St. Mary’s of Maryland last year at Georgetown Prep. Roanoke just played Dickinson at Bullis School. Lynchburg has scrimmaged UVA and Penn at Episcopal. There have been d3 games also at Landon and St. Stephens/St Agnes. (Hamden Sydney comes to mind) And a few years back, W&L played Middlebury every year at Georgetown. About the only IAC and top MIAA school not hosting these games has been St. Albans. I think it would help recruiting if W&L did schedule some games in DC as others are doing, especially at strong prep programs.
Devil4Life

Post by Devil4Life »

W&Lacrosse75 wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 9:24 pm Actually, playing in DC has become routine for a lot of schools. Denison played St. Mary’s of Maryland last year at Georgetown Prep. Roanoke just played Dickinson at Bullis School. Lynchburg has scrimmaged UVA and Penn at Episcopal. There have been d3 games also at Landon and St. Stephens/St Agnes. (Hamden Sydney comes to mind) And a few years back, W&L played Middlebury every year at Georgetown. About the only IAC and top MIAA school not hosting these games has been St. Albans. I think it would help recruiting if W&L did schedule some games in DC as others are doing, especially at strong prep programs.
I would live to see conference challenges like college basketball
valaxfan

Post by valaxfan »

Devil4Life wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 8:37 pm
Laxattackjack wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 8:15 pm roanoke might be the best team in the ODAC this year.

W&L loss to to #12

I watched the entire Noke vs Dickinson game. IMO, Dickinson is NOT the number 5 team in the country, they are over-ranked. Roanoke was the more agressive and faster team yesterday, and could have won that game. BUT, Dickinson is NOT the number 5 team, not trying to take anything away from Noke but that is my opinion. Noke should be in the top 20 though.

valaxfan
Hope W&L and DC decide to meet at Sparks yearly and then we can watch two good teams play. Roanoke played well yesterday. DC -not so much. The game reminded me of Denison W&L game- very sloppy with lots of unforced turnovers, poor clears and inability to pick of GBs. Hate to say it but it is February lacrosse for two leagues that do not allow teams to start earlier than 2/1. DC’s gauntlet starts now with Kenyon, @ Stevenson and CNU and York at Mustang Classic. You may be right but this group has gone 39-5 in little over 2 years, lost to CNU by 1 in Mustang Classic and in OT in Final 8 and beat Gettysburg 3-4 and lost only two other 1 goal games-not bad. There are lot of talented players and wish the best teams only played top 20 teams out of their conference. Would be better for all of the fans. W&L is a great lax program especially considering the academic requirements. Good luck the rest of the season - you have some great kids on that team- Leif Smith being one of them. Hope to see each other in NCAAs.
That would be a great game if the Gennies and DC played. If it's any consolation, W&L was ranked number 7 earlier, and we are clearly not the number 7 team in the country. I think Noke should be in the top 20 after their showing against DC yesterday. Just like W&L going 18-5 last year, going 39-5 over two years is great, but like the stock market, past results is not indicative of future performance. Don't we wish they were. Good luck to the Red Devils rest of the way.

valaxfan
Devil4Life

Post by Devil4Life »

valaxfan wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 10:15 pm
Devil4Life wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 8:37 pm

W&L loss to to #12

valaxfan
That would be a great game if the Gennies and DC played. If it's any consolation, W&L was ranked number 7 earlier, and we are clearly not the number 7 team in the country. I think Noke should be in the top 20 after their showing against DC yesterday. Just like W&L going 18-5 last year, going 39-5 over two years is great, but like the stock market, past results is not indicative of future performance. Don't we wish they were. Good luck to the Red Devils rest of the way.

valaxfan
No but our kids are true student athletes. Academics come first. They miss practice for classes. W&L more so than DC. I would rather be W&L and DC than CNU and Salisbury. Our kids cannot play more than 4 years and had bad freshman years. Key to lacrosse is developing relationships that lead to life-long friendships. These guys take care of each other in the business world. Whether DC looks like a top 5 team now is irrelevant. It matters what you look like in May. Except for Gettysburg NCAA disaster with our undefeated team, DC has been pretty good. Enjoy it for what it is-D-3 lacrosse - not a job like D-1. Hope we face off this year and in future years.
Hardhat

Post by Hardhat »

Frank Rizzo wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 9:19 pm
Don’t sleep on Randy Mac
They are good and are beating good teams but they havnt played or beat any ranked teams yet. They could make a run but too early to tell.
JustOneTime

Post by JustOneTime »

Big weekend for the ODAC. It would be nice to win all of these to make the conference look good.
RMC vs WAC - I think RMC will roll 15-8. They look good thus far and should be undefeated going into the Hampden Sydney game.
W&L vs Gettysburg - This one is a toss up but I will take the home team Bullets 13-11.
Hampden Sydney vs Ohio Northern - The Tigers start slow but then dominate 16-8
Roanoke vs Wesleyan - Not sure if the Maroons can slow down the Cards. This one may be high scoring, Cards win 17-13.
Lynchburg vs Denison - The Hornets at home will not be denied, they win 14-9.
Nothinbutthelax

Post by Nothinbutthelax »

Looking forward to NOKE game. With 6 games under their belt and neutral site thinking they have an edge.

Riley Mitchell hamstring may be OK. Sunday will be 4 weeks since Gettysburg. Don’t know when injured so may be 5-6 weeks out now.. wonder if he will be ready Sunday?

I’d say W&L but Joey Allen is a loss. Toss-up hoping the Gennies win it.

HSC needs a statement game..
ThirdString

Post by ThirdString »

Big weekend for ODAC lacrosse regarding getting teams into the dance in May.

Lynchburg vs Denison--Taking the Hornets here, will need to win every matchup/stay close to CNU if they want to be top 10 going into conference play.

W&L vs Gettysburg--Wisdom points to the Bullets but should be close, Gennies need to go 2-1 during this brutal stretch if they want to be top 10 as well.

Noke vs Wesleyan--Win this game and your ranked, hope that Noke can keep it close but their defense give me worries, especially their size. However, Noke has risen to the challenge all year so going with them in an upset.

HSC vs Ohio Northern--Tigers need a rebound after St. Mary's. Hoping that the tigers can win comfortably, beat ON and OWU and they are a fringe top 20.

RMC vs WAC--RMC needs to keep playing how they have and win comfortably. I think they win but not as big as they have and will be in for a bit of a dog fight against a desparate WAC team. In a best case world we have may have our first ever ranked vs ranked match-up in the lax version of "The Game"

Other conference news--Bridgewater looks to be a bit down, will be in a dog fight with Shenandoah for 6th but theres a heavy drop off between 5 and 6 in this conference.

Best case scenario over the next few weeks if teams perform well is 2 top 10 teams and 3 more teams in the 25-15 range going into conference play. Worst case scenario no top 10 teams and 2 teams in the top 20...I think it will be somewhere in the middle.
Nothinbutthelax

Post by Nothinbutthelax »

LYN had good game plan and executed today. Dominated Denison. Running those same 3 SSDM lines who clearly improved. LYN have been to every Mustang and that depth will serve them well.
Mitchell still not playing. He was chest bumping so Hopi g we see him Friday? Freshman Haug has been steady, no TOs but no productivity either.
- Congrats to winning Track and field NCAA Championship!

W&L with solid win. Hollis Burns is a game changer. Bettis and Cohen are too.. Defensively they are better than expected. Good luck at Mustang!

Nice wins for HSC and RandyMac.
-Congrats to HSC who will meet Guilford if the NCAA Basketball semi finals.

NOKE is a shootout. Their Achilles heel still on the defensive side.
Schleprock37

Post by Schleprock37 »

A good morale win for Noke this week as ODAC play approaches. Could be about time we see the maroons jump into the rankings and pass teams like Midd that are on a 3 game losing streak. Any previous debate over ODAC big 4 rankings are now void as we have yet to see anything impressive come out of farmville this year.
JustOneTime

Post by JustOneTime »

ODAC play about to ramp up. It appears that the conference is very much up for grabs this season. The top 5 teams all have reason to believe.
At this point of the season I see it looking like this;
1: Lynchburg - I think they have the most firepower on offense. Their midfield is very good, I think you have to put a pole on Rust and then take your chances with their attackmen. Injuries on defense are leaving them trying to get organized on the back end. They have a big game against CNU this weekend. A win goes along way to getting a NCAA bid.
2: W&L - They have a well balanced offense and the best face off guy. Very good D middies. Goalie play has been up and down. A few injuries have also affected W&L.
3: Randolph Macon - They have not played a great team yet but they have looked good thus far. Their defense is stout led by Mike Allen, he is a game wrecking beast. Their goalie has been good and the offense balanced. A freshman FOGO has looked good as well. They have their biggest game of the year to date this weekend when they host Hampden Sydney. If they dominate this game, they could rise to the top of my ODAC rankings.
4: Roanoke - Great attack unit and improved midfield play has this team looking better. FOGO play is a problem. Defense and Goalie play needs to improve in bigger games. They have improved in clearing. They are dangerous but not scary if that makes any sense.
5: Hampden Sydney - Tough to get a complete read on this team. I think their attack is decent and Kilfeather is great. The next two weekends will tell us a lot. They travel to RMC on 3/23 and W&L on 3/30.
thescottharris

Post by thescottharris »

H-SC just held Randolph-Macon to zero goals in the entire second half, wow.
LAXDADGUILFORD

Post by LAXDADGUILFORD »

Wish it hadn't come to a final whistle, but a good game both ways. Lynchburg continues a strong schedule next week against Amherst next weekend. Virginia Wesleyan tomorrow.
Last edited by LAXDADGUILFORD on Sat Mar 23, 2024 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LAXDADGUILFORD

Post by LAXDADGUILFORD »

LAXDADGUILFORD wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 7:48 pm I'm pretty sure Mikey Thompson has his little grubby hands in that refs pocket. Quite an insane, ridiculous call. You think he teaches that to his guys, flopping? Or is that just the kind of kids he recruits? Unsure. Definitely a disappointing way to end a fantastic lacrosse game, having it determined by a ref... I would counter and say that Lynchburg Marindin was actually pushed. Just a true shame.
Credit to CNU though, just a damn shame
W&LLover

Post by W&LLover »

How about them Tigers?! Everyone was doubting them all year. Saying Macon was gonna whoop them. Guess not? Thomas Harry is an all American defender shutting out the Jackets’ best player Jack Smith. All the doubts agains HSC’s defense are out the door, shutting out Macon in the second half. A lot to come from the boys in Farmville….
ODACguru

Post by ODACguru »

RMC will never rise to the occasion against HSC. Tigers own Macon. Three headed monster at attack…best attack trio in the odac. Tigers D plays like they did in the second half today and they’re dangerous. Big one next weekend in Lexington.
MarionBarry

Post by MarionBarry »

Caught a good amount of the hsc-rmc game, rmc dominated the stat lines except for the one that counts, the scoreboard. Cant shoot 0-21 in the second half, thats not good. Rmc looked sloppy with bad simple turnovers. I agree with a previous post, they didn't rise to the occasion. Hats off to hsc, they made the plays to win the game when they had too. Both teams get worked by w&l next week I'm my opinion.
aroundtheoutside

Post by aroundtheoutside »

Is W&L the favorite this year to take the ODAC? Lynchburg doesn't look as dominant as they have in the past.
thescottharris

Post by thescottharris »

W&LLover wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 8:02 pm How about them Tigers?! Everyone was doubting them all year. Saying Macon was gonna whoop them. Guess not? Thomas Harry is an all American defender shutting out the Jackets’ best player Jack Smith. All the doubts agains HSC’s defense are out the door, shutting out Macon in the second half. A lot to come from the boys in Farmville….
10 shot for Jack Smith with only one on goal, yikes. Story of the game for Macon though on offense, whole team couldn't figure out how to put a shot on goal, 42 shots and only 18 on goal. Half (21) of those shots came in the second half and yet only six SOG after halftime.

Macon's goalkeeper was abysmal, it would appear. Gave up 11 goals with only two saves.

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”