ODAC 2024

D3 Mens Lacrosse
ODACtionEmpire

ODAC 2024

Post by ODACtionEmpire »

Surprised that it's taken this long for the heavy hitters to get a thread going, but I'll be more than happy to! Seen some stuff on socials -- posting new Freshmen on teams, Mitchell Pehlke reviewed the HSC cafeteria, and Guilford is practicing without a coach. Let's get some ODACtion going in the Forums with some further insight on the Fall and upcoming season!!
TheRaven

Re: ODAC 2024

Post by TheRaven »

My early preseason rankings:

1. Hampden-Sydney
2. Lynchburg
3. Washington & Lee
4. Bridgewater
5. Randolph Macon
6. Roanoke
7. Guilford
8. Shenandoah
9. Ferrum
10. Viguna Wesleyan
11. Averett
12. Randolph
ReturnOfTheWAC

Post by ReturnOfTheWAC »

TheRaven wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 10:19 am My early preseason rankings:

1. Hampden-Sydney
2. Lynchburg
3. Washington & Lee
4. Bridgewater
5. Randolph Macon
6. Roanoke
7. Guilford
8. Shenandoah
9. Ferrum
10. Viguna Wesleyan
11. Averett
12. Randolph
1.W&L
2. Lburg
3 HS
4. Note
5. Randy Mac
6.Bridgewater
7. Shenandoah
8. Guilford
9.VW
10.Ferrum
11. Averett
12. Randolph
JustOneTime

Post by JustOneTime »

I think this coming season is wide open like last year. Alot depends on who is returning for a 5th year. I think alot of the Lynchburg guys are staying for another year.
W&L loses Seeds, Porkorny, Lackey, Holliday and Hubbard
HSC loses Perry, Morgan, Hop, Thompson
Lynchburg loses Darninio, Mitchell - ?, Wolfe - ?, Hadley - ?, Marindin - ?
Macon loses O'Brien, Goodman, Andrews, Foti, J. Simth
Roanoke loses Caldwell, Dias

If those guys return for Lynchburg they have to be the favorites. Their attack was made up of a lot of young guys last year so they should get better.
Darminio will be tough to replace as he gave them a ton of possessions.
W&L returns there awesome SSDM's but losing Hubbard is big.
HSC losing Perry and Morgan will be big.
Macon losing Jamie Smith is big as he was a stud.
Roanoke returns alot but has holes especially at Face off.

1)Lynchburg
2)Roanoke
3)W&L
4)HSC
5)RMC
LaxManiac12345

Post by LaxManiac12345 »

Here we go again with everybody criminally over hyping Roanoke and HSC. They will lose every meaningful out of conference game yet again this upcoming years, and I don't even know why RMC is in the conversation for contention. It will be the same two top dogs this year that went to the NCAA elite 8 last year in W&L and Lynchburg. Depending how many fifth years lynchburg has you can say to give them the edge, but we will see come springtime.

1) Lynchburg or W&L
3) Roanoke
4) HSC

5) does it really matter
2laxers

Post by 2laxers »

JustOneTime wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 3:50 pm Lynchburg loses Darninio, Mitchell - ?, Wolfe - ?, Hadley - ?, Marindin - ?
Lynchburg loses Darmino, Quinn (D), Nestor (SSDM) and Barnes (SSDM).
Dehuntshigwa’es

Post by Dehuntshigwa’es »

ODAC will come down to Lynchburg and W&L. HSC was a very competitive team last year but I thought lacked any real depth to the roster. Roanoke will look to stay either in the 3rd or 4th position like HSC. I’m giving Roanoke a slight edge for the 3rd spot.Sounds like a number of Lynchburg’s players will be back for their 5th year. If true I have to think they’d have an edge over W&L, that extra year is significant. If W&L can solve their goal problems and the fogo they are bringing in is as good as his tape, maybe W&L can repeat. Looks like one other freshman might be able to make an impact similar to
the 2 ssdm’s last year, the football player from Texas
GoTerriers8

Post by GoTerriers8 »

Still crazy MCCabe has a job after a second DUI
Nothinbutthelax

Post by Nothinbutthelax »

JustOneTime wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 3:50 pm I think this coming season is wide open like last year. Alot depends on who is returning for a 5th year. I think alot of the Lynchburg guys are staying for another year.

If those guys return for Lynchburg they have to be the favorites. Their attack was made up of a lot of young guys last year so they should get better.

1)Lynchburg
2)Roanoke
3)W&L
4)HSC
5)RMC
LYN returns 7 5th years
Mitchell
Wolfe
McCarthy (#5 middie ran 2nd line.)
Hadley
Marindin (Joins Zingo at pole and is a beast. Together they match up against any 1&2)
Hakes (D- one of those unsung guys likely won’t start)
? - don’t know 7th, hoping it’s Shuster the 2nd LSM

The SSDMs were short last year when Nestor injured early. #31 Meadows did bumped up but he’s a pole (brother of AA pole from 2019 #2). He may bump down to fill 3rd Pole but there are a couple who will battle to replace Quinn)

FO returns both Kraus and Frankel. Replacements needed for wings Darminio and Nestor..LSM Jr. Palma #44 is a vacuum. Smallish but will step in/ up.
If Shuster doesn’t return LSM and SSDM may be weakest spot.

Offense returns everyone. Mitchell,Wolfe,Rust 1st line 2nd line will be very strong. Attack very balanced with Schmidt natural lefty and Hastings righty. Vandenburg is kinda old school crease. Played IIJL indoor gold medal team this summer. Could be a dangerous offense and… no snow games in the schedule 😂)

Personally don’t love 5th years even though the Burg benefits. Has to have a neg. affect on younger guys. Culture strong but seniors lose out in leadership roles “their team” so maybe grumbling in the ranks??
Will see when final roster out if there were transfers?
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

GoTerriers8 wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2023 7:29 am Still crazy MCCabe has a job after a second DUI
We're a forum of lacrosse fans. In general, historically, people post facts. Also opinions. But when it comes to posts that are verifiable (or not), people post, so to speak, the truth. Again, in general. GoTerriers, to the best of my knowledge, as confirmed by someone directly tied to the program, what you're posting is simply not true...
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
Laxattackjack

Post by Laxattackjack »

What’s the word on RMC? Any new talent ?
LAXDADGUILFORD

Post by LAXDADGUILFORD »

LYH will no doubt be the team of the ODAC this year.
Dehuntshigwa’es

Post by Dehuntshigwa’es »

Nothinbutthelax wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2023 7:58 am
JustOneTime wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 3:50 pm I think this coming season is wide open like last year. Alot depends on who is returning for a 5th year. I think alot of the Lynchburg guys are staying for another year.

1)Lynchburg
2)Roanoke
3)W&L
4)HSC
5)RMC
LYN returns 7 5th years
Mitchell
Wolfe
Hadley
Marindin (Joins Zingo at pole and is a beast. Together they match up against any 1&2)

The SSDMs were short last year when Nestor injured early. #31 Meadows did bumped up but he’s a pole (brother of AA pole from 2019 #2). He may bump down to fill 3rd Pole but there are a couple who will battle to replace Quinn)

FO returns both Kraus and Frankel. Replacements needed for wings Darminio and Nestor..LSM Jr. Palma #44 is a vacuum. Smallish but will step in/ up.

Offense returns everyone. Mitchell,Wolfe,Rust 1st line 2nd line will be very strong. Attack very balanced with Schmidt natural lefty and Hastings righty. Vandenburg is kinda old school crease. Played IIJL indoor gold medal team this summer. Could be a dangerous offense and… no snow games in the schedule 😂)

Personally don’t love 5th years even though the Burg benefits. Has to have a neg. affect on younger guys. Culture strong but seniors lose out in leadership roles “their team” so maybe grumbling in the ranks??
GEEZ NBL

This is brutal, it’s not a couple guys you are bringing back it’s essential pieces. If this plays out according to your understanding Lynchburg I hate to say is the heavy favorite and with luck an elite 8 again. W&L could be as good as last year and maybe a shade better as players improve over last season. That said Lynchburg always tough will be better than last season and that’s saying a lot. I’ve hated the 5th year option and can’t estimate the damage it’s done to the underclass men. The younger guys pay a price for this. It curtails the younger players careers, thought it was a horrible decision. Can’t change it so Generals will just have to dig deeper.
2laxers

Post by 2laxers »

Nothinbutthelax wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2023 7:58 am

1)Lynchburg
2)Roanoke
3)W&L
4)HSC
5)RMC
LYN returns 7 5th years
Mitchell
Wolfe
Hadley

Shuster is back, pretty sure Hakes is not.
ODACtionEmpire

Post by ODACtionEmpire »

Loving the info coming in. Here's my stab at the rankings after a little bit of digging

1. LYN - Shouldn't be too hard to figure out why. They have the premier advantage bringing back a core group of seniors including Mitchell and Hadley, both AA from 2023. The Attack line should be better than last year, but the main question mark will be at the faceoff - either find someone who can pick up the slack from Darminio or Kraus/Frankel have to possess the ball more. Either way, LYN will want to host again no doubt.

2. W&L - The past two years have shown significant maturity for a team typically seen as "fraternal" and doesn't take the ODAC seriously unless it's against their cultural rivals, HSC. Always great battles w/ LYN and coming off another ODAC championship over the bugs, it isn't hard to see that they will be hungry to capture another and make a great run into the NCAA tournament. Can they get over the hump and beat some of the big guns this year? I know they beat York, but I think Childs is on a downward trajectory over there.

3. RMC - Putting the Jackets here bc they return a huge core group that was significant in their big win over LYN last April. I think they close the gap on HSC and leap over NOKE (as proven in a 2 goal loss that had a lot of calls not go their way). Beating LYN again will be tough as it is on Shellenberger, but maybe they can surprise the Gennies at home for a statement W. Lots to be determined, but this team will be excited to show what they have.

4. NOKE - Returning the Kammerman's is the icing on the cake for Pilat's group. I think they will take a step back in this season as in the past they have shown flashes of greatness but fail to deliver. Kinda becoming a theme in BP's newest era. My pessimistic view may be a bit rough, so I can't wait to see what the Maroons bring to the table. Would love to see them come out on top of some of those close games like Dickinson, and maybe play Salisbury and little closer. Hoping their Goalie will mature and gain consistency a bit, but he had some excellent games and showed flashes of AA caliber play.

5. HSC - I don't think it can be remissed that the graduation of Will Perry is going to be difficult to replace. A stalwart in the net for the Tigers, Rostan is going to have to shuffle his deck of goalie cards to find someone who can be both as smooth and as flashy as Perry. I think HSC attack will mature and find ways to put the ball in the net, but it's just going to be a matter of can they find someone/a defense that can keep the ball out of their own goal.

Hope these are accurate - I don't have many inside sources at these establishments. Here are some abbreviated comments on the remaining teams:

SHEN - Typically able to battle with BW and sometimes RMC, but not really sure why they haven't gotten over the hump.
BW - Coach Grant had some momentum and then seemed to lose it. Would really like to see the Eagles have some success. I will say their uniforms and helmets have greatly improved the overall look of the ODAC. Potentially playing some tougher OOC schedule would help to gauge where they are.
GUILF - Not having a coach is going to be interesting over the next few months. Hope the AD can get that figured out for the student-athletes down in Greensboro.
FER - I'm glad the Panthers are still kicking down there. Hopefully they can build on the last game against AVE. I personally think their stadium is one of the cooler settings in the ODAC right up against the mountain. (SIDE NOTE) - wouldn't it be cool if the ODAC rotated host rights? Obviously earning the hosting site is awesome for the best teams, but it would be great to have some of the lesser ODAC teams shoulder that responsibility from time to time? Maybe for the toilet bowl of the ODAC? Bottom 4 tournament??
VAWES - No one wants to live in VA Beach. That place is dingy. However, they had some fairly decent contests against similar teams. Maybe bump that up to compete and steal a win or two against a better program?
RAND - The Hill City Cats have never been too exciting and I think everyone would love to see that change. Hopefully they can lean on some core players to alter the culture and gather some momentum for the 2024 season.
AVE - The newest members of the ODAC are in a good position to improve heading into this next year. Habick seems to have a good attitude about where the program is and where he thinks they can go.
Laxaholic123

Post by Laxaholic123 »

My predictions:
1. Lynchburg
2. W&L
3. HSC
4. Roanoke
5. RMC
6. BC
6. SU

I feel like my preseason predictions have always been in that order and always will be.
KnowingWizardofODAC

Post by KnowingWizardofODAC »

Word around the water cooler is that Koudelka has one foot out the door and is waiting for his favorite class of 5th years to graduate before he leaves for Gettysburg(his alma mater). Any thoughts?
BallBucket

Post by BallBucket »

This bickering is foolish, I’ll say what we’re all thinking. This is Randolph’s year. I am the great BallBucket, I get butt naked for no man.

Bucket out
Leonard Washington

Post by Leonard Washington »

KnowingWizardofODAC wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 10:03 am Word around the water cooler is that Koudelka has one foot out the door and is waiting for his favorite class of 5th years to graduate before he leaves for Gettysburg(his alma mater). Any thoughts?
???

Joking right?
First of all, ya better check your tone. I dont think you know who you're talking to. I'm Leonard Washington...I don't get butt naked for nobody!!
Laxdds

Post by Laxdds »

Leonard Washington wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 2:00 pm
KnowingWizardofODAC wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 10:03 am Word around the water cooler is that Koudelka has one foot out the door and is waiting for his favorite class of 5th years to graduate before he leaves for Gettysburg(his alma mater). Any thoughts?
???

Joking right?
Please correct me if I'm wrong but I don't believe he was interviewed or even applied when the Gettysburg job was open 2 years ago. That was the time to come home if he was interested. He's a Bullet and in the HOF, but for now Coach Toner seems to be doing just fine.

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”