ODAC 2024

D3 Mens Lacrosse
valaxfan

Re: ODAC 2024

Post by valaxfan »

Cyborg Reticulan wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 11:30 am Huge week in the ODAC as we have a showdown between W&L and Lynchburg. W&L coming off a scrappy win vs Hampden-Sydney and Lynchburg finally breaking the seal versus a top opponent in the country. Both coming off W's but who wants the next one more? 2 matchups that will be key for this game will be Henri Marindin guarding Hillis Burns the lengthy lefty. These two battled each other last year. On the other side of the ball I believe we'll see Jed Heald guarding Riley Hastings. Ground balls, Clearing, and special team play will be the key factors for the game and like I said earlier, whoever wants it more will come out on top.

Thoughts on picks for the game?

Gennies have to take care of business on Wednesday first. Presuming that happens, Lynchburg's first midfield is one of the best in the country so that is an advantage. Gennies missing Colin Beatty at SSDM and that has been a huge loss for W&L. FOs with Spano and Bou gives the Gennies a slight edge but the wing players have to play the Hornets hard, cause they will. Defense advantage to Lynchburg, especially in goal. Attack, when the Gennies are hot, the are best but Lynchburg plays a great controlled team game. And, Hillis Burns does not have to score goals to be effective, just ask Hampden-Sydney. Toss up at Attack. Game is in Lynchburg, so all things considered, I expect Hornets to win but if the Gennies have their transition game going, then Gennies can win.

valaxfan
Dehuntshigwa’es

Post by Dehuntshigwa’es »

valaxfan wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 8:50 pm
Cyborg Reticulan wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 11:30 am Huge week in the ODAC as we have a showdown between W&L and Lynchburg. W&L coming off a scrappy win vs Hampden-Sydney and Lynchburg finally breaking the seal versus a top opponent in the country. Both coming off W's but who wants the next one more? 2 matchups that will be key for this game will be Henri Marindin guarding Hillis Burns the lengthy lefty. These two battled each other last year. On the other side of the ball I believe we'll see Jed Heald guarding Riley Hastings. Ground balls, Clearing, and special team play will be the key factors for the game and like I said earlier, whoever wants it more will come out on top.

Thoughts on picks for the game?

Gennies have to take care of business on Wednesday first. Presuming that happens, Lynchburg's first midfield is one of the best in the country so that is an advantage. Gennies missing Colin Beatty at SSDM and that has been a huge loss for W&L. FOs with Spano and Bou gives the Gennies a slight edge but the wing players have to play the Hornets hard, cause they will. Defense advantage to Lynchburg, especially in goal. Attack, when the Gennies are hot, the are best but Lynchburg plays a great controlled team game. And, Hillis Burns does not have to score goals to be effective, just ask Hampden-Sydney. Toss up at Attack. Game is in Lynchburg, so all things considered, I expect Hornets to win but if the Gennies have their transition game going, then Gennies can win.

valaxfan

Hope W&L pulls this off. I think if they were to lose this game they may have to win the AQ to get in. If Allan and Beatty are out those are big hits. Albregts and Brennan running w Cohen I think will do a good job. I actually think Beatty is the best Ssdm if you were to just look at defensive coverage

ShenandoahLaxDad

Post by ShenandoahLaxDad »

bmorelaxer wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 2:44 pm
JPAtlantic wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 10:13 am
ODACguru wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 2:30 pm
LILaxGuy08 wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 10:12 am What did the Shenandoah do to Roanoke to piss them off?!?

I was checking box scores and Roanoke took 83 freaking shots!

Is that normal for these ODAC games with top tier playing lower tier?
Very nomal for Pilate to pull a dbag move like that.
When you have rosters of 50+ and the kids at the bottom of the depth chart are getting in for the 1st time this season, it is hard to tell them to hold back.

Yeah and when Pilate shows a ton of class by keeping the starting attack in through the 3rd quarter to pad their stats. What an a**hole :lol:
Has been the case for years. In 2019 Lindley had 14 points & Sarro had 12 points against Va Wes. Lindley scored 4 in the 4th.
Last edited by ShenandoahLaxDad on Tue Apr 02, 2024 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BigFella

Post by BigFella »

ShenandoahLaxDad wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 2:38 pm
LILaxGuy08 wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 10:12 am What did the Shenandoah do to Roanoke to piss them off?!?

When you have rosters of 50+ and the kids at the bottom of the depth chart are getting in for the 1st time this season, it is hard to tell them to hold back.

Yeah and when Pilate shows a ton of class by keeping the starting attack in through the 3rd quarter to pad their stats. What an a**hole :lol:
Has been the case for years. In 2019 Lindley had 14 & Sarro had 12 points against Va Wes. Lindley scored 4 in the 4th.
Surprised Virginia Wesleyan hasn’t closed its doors as an institution let alone lacrosse program.
LI_Lax14

Post by LI_Lax14 »

Boom Roasted
ODACguru

Post by ODACguru »

Ever since Roanoke has fallen off and is now in the middle-tier of the ODAC his starters need enough points to be relevant in the end of year awards. We all know the song and dance coming from Salem. Nothing new
valaxfan

Post by valaxfan »

ODACguru wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 6:12 pm

1st
Ever since Roanoke has fallen off and is now in the middle-tier of the ODAC his starters need enough points to be relevant in the end of year awards. We all know the song and dance coming from Salem. Nothing new
I am not sure Roanoke's coach purposely keeps players in to pad stats. Case in point, W&L played starters in 3rd and started subbing towards end of 3rd tonight against Shenandoah and they were up 16-3. W&L did not shoot well until 3rd, and maybe Roanoke is a better shooting team so they got more goals initially but I am not buying padding the stats. In the end, your first team needs the reps to keep their sharpness and both W&L and Roanoke played their starters into the 3rd then subbed. Roanoke just happened to score more initially.

valaxfan
ODACtionEmpire

Post by ODACtionEmpire »

valaxfan wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 9:50 pm

1st
I am not sure Roanoke's coach purposely keeps players in to pad stats. Case in point, W&L played starters in 3rd and started subbing towards end of 3rd tonight against Shenandoah and they were up 16-3. W&L did not shoot well until 3rd, and maybe Roanoke is a better shooting team so they got more goals initially but I am not buying padding the stats. In the end, your first team needs the reps to keep their sharpness and both W&L and Roanoke played their starters into the 3rd then subbed. Roanoke just happened to score more initially.

valaxfan
valaxfan, I typically enjoy reading your posts as you have good insight, but I think you have missed the mark on this one. Pilat only cares about keeping Roanoke relevant, but not through wins over good teams. He just wants to have the Kammermans name in US Lacrosse Magazine for having a zillion points against the likes of Guilford and (RIP) Ferrum, but they're like the Joey Spallina of the ODAC. Don't get me wrong, #41 is a good player. But if you have to inflate your stats with an 11 point showing against Bridgewater in your SR year, give me a break. Lynchburg's top player didn't record a point against Guilford last night, and I guarantee he could've.

I watched the mini-documentary thing that they put out on social media, and it just confirms these takes. Pilat is quoted as saying Kammerman "played like a bag of sh**" but he got enough points to get a game ball... no wonder there's a drought in Salem. Enough about that squad, they have to sack up and beat Rostan's Tigers on Saturday.

W&L vs LYN is the headliner for this weekend. I was surprised that the Gennies remained as high up in the polls as they did despite an embarrassing loss to Stevie in the Mustang Classic. The Denison and Gburg wins are keeping them afloat.
Keys
- LYN has to clear the ball better. They're at around 80% on the year and W&L is around 91%. Pair that with a solid Gennie FO group and that's a significant number of extra possessions that the boys in blue can really take advantage of offensively to wear down a solid Hornets Defense.
- W&L goalie has to have a Jack Taylor 2021 type of performance. Wouldn't be surprised to see an early Generals zone to let him see some 15 yard stepdowns and get comfortable. The Bugs have a bit of a better zone busting capability than in previous years - Jake Rust is shooting the ball at a tremendous 41%.
- For the W&L offense, limit TO's. They can't just hand LYN extra possessions. This includes letting Hadley make clean saves and getting the Bugs running.

Those are my takes for ODACtion this weekend. The big 4 are going to go at each other which means it's the best time of year.
Nothinbutthelax

Post by Nothinbutthelax »

Distain for Pilot aside.. I saw RIT hung 30 on some team.. Hard to say run your sets and don’t score.. Talent in the ranks will get their’s.
I looked at ODAC point leaders and saw LYN middle of pack. Last night 16 different players scored (0 points for Riley Mitchell). LYN has serious Freshman talent. 2nd line mid all freshman and produced against tough teams.. 3 or 4 other middies run that -all freshman midfield..

LYN is healthy and have worked hard on SSDM’s and LSM’s that have been part of early clearing issues. Still their weak spot but better in close D and are playing g more aggressively.
Michael Kraus takes 2/3 of FO’s @ 53% and Riley Frankel is 60%. The dot will be hot.
#6 Ulrich 3rd pole has a goal last night and has settled in nicely. Zingo and Marindin are playing great but need to lay off penalties..
Hadley and crew will be up for this one. Alumni event and should be a full house in Shellenburger.
LYN 14-9
valaxfan

Post by valaxfan »

ODACtionEmpire wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 10:48 am
valaxfan wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 9:50 pm

1st

valaxfan
valaxfan, I typically enjoy reading your posts as you have good insight, but I think you have missed the mark on this one. Pilat only cares about keeping Roanoke relevant, but not through wins over good teams. He just wants to have the Kammermans name in US Lacrosse Magazine for having a zillion points against the likes of Guilford and (RIP) Ferrum, but they're like the Joey Spallina of the ODAC. Don't get me wrong, #41 is a good player. But if you have to inflate your stats with an 11 point showing against Bridgewater in your SR year, give me a break. Lynchburg's top player didn't record a point against Guilford last night, and I guarantee he could've.

I watched the mini-documentary thing that they put out on social media, and it just confirms these takes. Pilat is quoted as saying Kammerman "played like a bag of sh**" but he got enough points to get a game ball... no wonder there's a drought in Salem. Enough about that squad, they have to sack up and beat Rostan's Tigers on Saturday.

W&L vs LYN is the headliner for this weekend. I was surprised that the Gennies remained as high up in the polls as they did despite an embarrassing loss to Stevie in the Mustang Classic. The Denison and Gburg wins are keeping them afloat.
Keys
- LYN has to clear the ball better. They're at around 80% on the year and W&L is around 91%. Pair that with a solid Gennie FO group and that's a significant number of extra possessions that the boys in blue can really take advantage of offensively to wear down a solid Hornets Defense.
- W&L goalie has to have a Jack Taylor 2021 type of performance. Wouldn't be surprised to see an early Generals zone to let him see some 15 yard stepdowns and get comfortable. The Bugs have a bit of a better zone busting capability than in previous years - Jake Rust is shooting the ball at a tremendous 41%.
- For the W&L offense, limit TO's. They can't just hand LYN extra possessions. This includes letting Hadley make clean saves and getting the Bugs running.

Those are my takes for ODACtion this weekend. The big 4 are going to go at each other which means it's the best time of year.
So, thanks for appreciating my write ups. I have only been doing this for some 20 plus years so any positive comment is worthy of a thank you, even if I am wrong. I know folks hate the Noke coach. Personally, I don't know him, so i am trying to give him the benefit of the doubt. But, if there is evidence out there that he does, then he deserves what he gets. I just don't follow the Maroons close enough to see it but if others do then have at it.

NBTL, your boys should win Saturday.

valaxfan
Dehuntshigwa’es

Great game this week with Lynchburg and W&L, the loser of this game I think may have to win the AQ. If Allan and Beatty were back at full strength I’d call it a 50/50 ball. I do believe it would be that tight. The fact it’s a home game, W&L missing 2 key players, sprinkle in 7 G students and I have to give the edge to Lynchburg. We will have a good idea after the first qtr if Spano can have a dominant day or not. That and a big day from De Cain who has hit 50% against HSC and Gettysburg close at Stevenson. Sadly that won’t get the Generals a W. Great opportunity for him to show how high his ceiling may be. Just hope the Generals don’t beat themselves with the traditional approach in taking care of the ball, no unforced turnovers please and let’s stay out of the box. Just hope Hadley doesn’t go off and have a freakish day like Denison 14 save 4 goals or Christopher Newport 20 saves 11 goals… . Let’s Go !
Laxattackjack

Post by Laxattackjack »

Dehuntshigwa’es wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 5:32 pm Great game this week with Lynchburg and W&L, the loser of this game I think may have to win the AQ. If Allan and Beatty were back at full strength I’d call it a 50/50 ball. I do believe it would be that tight. The fact it’s a home game, W&L missing 2 key players, sprinkle in 7 G students and I have to give the edge to Lynchburg. We will have a good idea after the first qtr if Spano can have a dominant day or not. That and a big day from De Cain who has hit 50% against HSC and Gettysburg close at Stevenson. Sadly that won’t get the Generals a W. Great opportunity for him to show how high his ceiling may be. Just hope the Generals don’t beat themselves with the traditional approach in taking care of the ball, no unforced turnovers please and let’s stay out of the box. Just hope Hadley doesn’t go off and have a freakish day like Denison 14 save 4 goals or Christopher Newport 20 saves 11 goals… . Let’s Go !
i think both W&L and Lynchburg are safe for the tourney, baring a collapse from either. worst case if W&L loses bad this weekend, then doesn’t make the ODAC finals, i could see the a HSC or Roanoke getting a bid if they make the finals.

who else is going to be considered for the at large? CNU could end up with 5 losses if SU sweeps them, and they will still get in. NESCAC is looking like a two bid. Centennial is also looking like a two bid. LL could be 4 is things fall right. that is still only 8 even counting two from ODAC. even if NESCAC and Centential get three, you will have room for two from ODAC
Nothinbutthelax

Post by Nothinbutthelax »

Agree. Gettysburg win gets them in with a NOKE win. Game’s for Homefield ODAC’s.
Never know. It’s an emotional rivalry game. W&L comes in with the trophy. Wish the Generals were at full strength.
Dehuntshigwa’es

I’ve personally acted like a 5 year old child throwing a tantrum about 5th year players. That has been a view of mine from day 1 of the NCAA ruling. I had a conversation w a D3 Coach who spoke with me about t the complexities of coaching a roster that has 5th year players. Frankly it’s a problem that many schools wish they had. At the end of the day CNU, RIT, York, and Lynchburg come to mind for me when I assessed the beginning of the season . Of this group only RIT to me seems to have benefited. While I think Lburg will have an edge this weekend Yorks season has been brutal and CNU isn’t even near where I thought they’d be. I also thought Lynchburg was going to have a far better season at this juncture. Do the 5th years have 1 foot already in the real world, is their resentment in the lockeroom , are the 5th years bored. These were some of the comments I had heard. Have other fans heard similar comments.
2laxers

Post by 2laxers »

Dehuntshigwa’es wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 9:02 pm I’ve personally acted like a 5 year old child throwing a tantrum about 5th year players. That has been a view of mine from day 1 of the NCAA ruling. I had a conversation w a D3 Coach who spoke with me about t the complexities of coaching a roster that has 5th year players. Frankly it’s a problem that many schools wish they had. At the end of the day CNU, RIT, York, and Lynchburg come to mind for me when I assessed the beginning of the season . Of this group only RIT to me seems to have benefited. While I think Lburg will have an edge this weekend Yorks season has been brutal and CNU isn’t even near where I thought they’d be. I also thought Lynchburg was going to have a far better season at this juncture. Do the 5th years have 1 foot already in the real world, is their resentment in the lockeroom , are the 5th years bored. These were some of the comments I had heard. Have other fans heard similar comments.
Lynchburg has a total of 15 grads and seniors. CNU has 25 and RIT has 28. Of Lynchburg’s 7 5th years there at four contributing. Hadley, who is a tremendous asset. Wolfe and Mitchell (who is finally healthy). Just started shooting at full strength this weekend and Marindin, who again is a great asset on D. The other 3 are playing very small roles. Lynchburg’s biggest issue was replacing a pole and the SSDMs which they have starting figuring out. Have not heard any issues with the 5th years being there. No idea why CNU is not playing better, maybe that is a locker room issue.
DTL94

Post by DTL94 »

Started in 2014…wonder why?
ODAD

Post by ODAD »

About to kick off 1 of 2 great ODAC matchups.

HSC v. Noke

LYN v. W&L

Last minute score predictions?
ODAD

Post by ODAD »

I’m taking both home teams…

HSC 14 / Noke 12

LYN 13 / W&L 9
Brain

Post by Brain »

Well well well, Noke goes into FarmVille and beats the piss out of the Boys Club. Wonder if not resting starters and pumping the lower competition in conference payed dividends? I guess Kammerman, Docking and Whitlow can stat pad against better talent too. Ice up Sydney. Math class, all dudes, 10am Monday.
JBFortunato

Post by JBFortunato »

Brain wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 2:50 pm Well well well, Noke goes into FarmVille and beats the piss out of the Boys Club. Wonder if not resting starters and pumping the lower competition in conference payed dividends? I guess Kammerman, Docking and Whitlow can stat pad against better talent too. Ice up Sydney. Math class, all dudes, 10am Monday.
Well said. :lol:

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”