ODAC 2024

D3 Mens Lacrosse
Dehuntshigwa’es

Re: ODAC 2024

Post by Dehuntshigwa’es »

The Lynchburg/Roanoke game was as expected and then some. I just think Lynchburg is the more athletic team but Roanoke has closed the gap that has existed. Roanoke D, goal play, mids and fogo are all improved. Hope Kammermann is good to go moving forward. After watching last nights game if the Generals play the way the did against Stevenson they will get beat. It’s Roanoke so I’m sure they will be up for it. I just hope no one is getting ahead of themselves and thinking about CNU. I thought Hadley was the difference if teams switched goalies Roanoke may have won. Hoping Spano can go close to 60 % and De Cain can hit 50% or better. Will the Generals get some of their players back for this contest
JustOneTime

Post by JustOneTime »

Quite a game last night between the Maroons and Hornets. It had a bit of everything. I thought the Maroons were destined after their goalie scored but it was not to be. Roanoke still can't win a big game they when they are leading in the 4th quarter. I'm not sure how they can fix it. They just don't seem to get a series of big plays when they need it most. Saving 31% in the goal is not going to get it done. The box score only shows 11 turnovers for Roanoke but there were more than that. The turnovers in crunch time are those that are the most painful. (I wonder sometimes about who is keeping the stats, I'm guessing it is student volunteers. I know the game moves fast and its easier said than done but stats at the D3 level are simply not accurate).
You have to tip your cap to Lynchburg for getting a nice win on the road.
For the Maroons its move on quickly as they need to take care of business on Saturday vs RMC.
LAXDADGUILFORD

Post by LAXDADGUILFORD »

BTM wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 11:12 pm
LAXDADGUILFORD wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 10:14 pm Sketchy one tonight but glad to see the Hornets pull away when they needed. Can't help but wonder if the Kammerman injury took some of the wind out of Roanoke's sails, but that's the nature of the game... no use in wondering about 'what ifs'. Fairly high-scoring affair, definitely higher than I anticipated.

Looking at Roanoke, I'm realizing it's a bit of a cupcake schedule they've put together... thinking that doesn't help in these type of games with high quality opponents. Lynchburg scheduling the 'who's who' of college lacrosse this season, admittedly playing under their expectations thus far, surely helps them in these type of come-from-behind games.

Roanoke had lots of diversity in their scoring tonight. Another dominant performance by #8 Marindin on #41 limiting him to just 1 goal, though he had a few assists... seems to have his number in these matchups; a great battle. #9 Zingo held his own as always matching up on Whitlow, who appears to be taking more of a dodging type of role this year, limiting him to one point. 3rd defenseman, Ulrichs, matched up against Docking and thought he looked okay... maybe a touch slow against a speed-dodger... giving up 3 goals.

Lynchburg clear looks to improve. Clearing at 72% isn't great... credit to Roanoke's ride but simply have to perform at a higher clip.

I also want to highlight that #21 Zacharias and #11 Sealey missed this one. I know #11 has been out for a few games now and the lack of his athleticism has been felt. Truly a do-it-all middie and someone whose game I admire. Hoping Zacharias is back quickly as he is certainly a quality SSDM and a high IQ player with the ball.

Was interested to see #1 Mitchell not getting a pole for most of the game. Is this Roanoke being too cute? In retrospect I would say yes. The scoring for Lynchburg was how many expected it to be going into the season... 5 players with 4 points... the type of even production consistent with great offenses of past. I gotta say, these sophomore attackmen ride like hell which is certainly a line-item on opposing teams' scouts. Big shoutout to those guys at attack, Hastings, Schmidt, and Vandenberg. Hadley with a nice game at 15 saves, though I'm sure he'd want a couple back as does every goalie.

Overall a nice performance from the men in Red and excited to see them later this week against HSC who is celebrating their senior day and will certainly come ready to play. Similar in 2022 when it was their senior day, I expect the Hornets to leave Farmville in the win column.
Come-from-behind?? Roanoke led by a single goal, twice. That’s hardly come-from-behind. Wasn’t it Roanoke that battled back from a 7-2 deficit?

#8 dominated #41??? Take another sip from your Jolly Ranchered Zima. #41 led all point scorers while battling cramps. The hate for elder Kammerman is odd.

That totally awesome LC attack unit forced Roanoke to go 17-18 on clears. I guess Coach Pilat should spend the next 32.7 practices on clearing after getting exposed by those totally rad sophomores.
Ok BTM, whatever that means. Although my coinage, 'come-from-behind', might be a bit dramatic... it is true nonetheless. Lynchburg was down 1 goal in the fourth, thus a come-from-behind win. And frankly the energy Roanoke was playing with throughout the fourth, it seemed to be a larger lead than it was... maybe they got too excited as it was the first time they've sniffed victory against the Hornets since 2018 lol. Excluding that blip in the Lynchburg - Roanoke history the win streak for the Hornets goes back to 2014. So pardon me for my 'incorrect' analysis. Make it a nearly perfect decade against the Pilat-led only good in the 90s Roanoke.

Also yes, #8 has consistently owned #41 throughout his career. Though this might be a product of 'elder Kammerman' actually playing a solid team where he can't jack up his points to look better for All-ODAC honors. #8 Marindin is a beast and yes, has matched up well against #41. Though I admit, I like #41's game.

Finally yes, the Lynchburg attack might not have forced Roanoke to lower clearing numbers, the second goal of the game came from a successful attacking ride. I believe if you can steal 1-2 of those a game you set yourself up nicely. That wasn't a direct shoutout to the Roanoke game, but rather a season-long trend I've admired about the 3 attackmen.

LAXDADGUILFORD
aroundtheoutside

Post by aroundtheoutside »

Awesome game! Congrats to Lynchburg for grinding out a gritty win. Though if Kammerman stays healthy I think the end result is a coin flip. Either way, it's awesome to see Roanoke relevant again. It's good for the ODAC and good for the South. Hopefully the trend continues with them after this season.

Looking ahead to NCAA's--is ODAC a one-bid team? Do two get in? What are the scenarios? Feels like a down year for the conference but maybe my perspective is swayed too much by LC's losses.
LAXDADGUILFORD

Post by LAXDADGUILFORD »

aroundtheoutside wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:31 am Awesome game! Congrats to Lynchburg for grinding out a gritty win. Though if Kammerman stays healthy I think the end result is a coin flip. Either way, it's awesome to see Roanoke relevant again. It's good for the ODAC and good for the South. Hopefully the trend continues with them after this season.

Looking ahead to NCAA's--is ODAC a one-bid team? Do two get in? What are the scenarios? Feels like a down year for the conference but maybe my perspective is swayed too much by LC's losses.
Certainly agree with your hesitation surrounding the ODACs placement in the NCAA. Last year we were wondering the same as to whether the ODAC would be a 1 or 2 seed... ultimately landing 3 teams. I think the ODAC will be bid 2 to 3 teams in the NCAAs.
BigFella

Post by BigFella »

LAXDADGUILFORD wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 10:14 pm Sketchy one tonight but glad to see the Hornets pull away when they needed. Can't help but wonder if the Kammerman injury took some of the wind out of Roanoke's sails, but that's the nature of the game... no use in wondering about 'what ifs'. Fairly high-scoring affair, definitely higher than I anticipated.

Looking at Roanoke, I'm realizing it's a bit of a cupcake schedule they've put together... thinking that doesn't help in these type of games with high quality opponents. Lynchburg scheduling the 'who's who' of college lacrosse this season, admittedly playing under their expectations thus far, surely helps them in these type of come-from-behind games.

Roanoke had lots of diversity in their scoring tonight. Another dominant performance by #8 Marindin on #41 limiting him to just 1 goal, though he had a few assists... seems to have his number in these matchups; a great battle. #9 Zingo held his own as always matching up on Whitlow, who appears to be taking more of a dodging type of role this year, limiting him to one point. 3rd defenseman, Ulrichs, matched up against Docking and thought he looked okay... maybe a touch slow against a speed-dodger... giving up 3 goals.

Lynchburg clear looks to improve. Clearing at 72% isn't great... credit to Roanoke's ride but simply have to perform at a higher clip.

I also want to highlight that #21 Zacharias and #11 Sealey missed this one. I know #11 has been out for a few games now and the lack of his athleticism has been felt. Truly a do-it-all middie and someone whose game I admire. Hoping Zacharias is back quickly as he is certainly a quality SSDM and a high IQ player with the ball.

Was interested to see #1 Mitchell not getting a pole for most of the game. Is this Roanoke being too cute? In retrospect I would say yes. The scoring for Lynchburg was how many expected it to be going into the season... 5 players with 4 points... the type of even production consistent with great offenses of past. I gotta say, these sophomore attackmen ride like hell which is certainly a line-item on opposing teams' scouts. Big shoutout to those guys at attack, Hastings, Schmidt, and Vandenberg. Hadley with a nice game at 15 saves, though I'm sure he'd want a couple back as does every goalie.

Overall a nice performance from the men in Red and excited to see them later this week against HSC who is celebrating their senior day and will certainly come ready to play. Similar in 2022 when it was their senior day, I expect the Hornets to leave Farmville in the win column.
Come-from-behind?? Roanoke led by a single goal, twice. That’s hardly come-from-behind. Wasn’t it Roanoke that battled back from a 7-2 deficit?

#8 dominated #41??? Take another sip from your Jolly Ranchered Zima. #41 led all point scorers while battling cramps. The hate for elder Kammerman is odd.

That totally awesome LC attack unit forced Roanoke to go 17-18 on clears. I guess Coach Pilat should spend the next 32.7 practices on clearing after getting exposed by those totally rad sophomores.
Laxdadguilford writes as someone personally victimized by Luke kammerman.
LAXDADGUILFORD

Post by LAXDADGUILFORD »

BigFella wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:36 am

Not per se, BigFella. I write as someone with unbounded and expert lacrosse knowledge unknown to a common man. Based on your casual grammar and incorrect capitalization, I can only assume you write as someone victimized by me.
Last edited by LAXDADGUILFORD on Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
BigFella

Post by BigFella »

LAXDADGUILFORD wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:45 am

Not per se, BigFella. I write as someone with unbounded and expert lacrosse knowledge unknown to a common man. Based on your casual grammar and incorrect capitalization, I can only assume you write as someone victimized by Jack Rokenbrod.
A grammar correction! Let’s go. A quarter of your posts being about 41 on Roanoke leads me to believe you have a personal gripe. Just change your name to Koudelka’s jockstrap, I’d have to assume you sniffed it enough doing laundry for the team.
LAXDADGUILFORD

Post by LAXDADGUILFORD »

BigFella wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:52 am
LAXDADGUILFORD wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:45 am

Not per se, BigFella. I write as someone with unbounded and expert lacrosse knowledge unknown to a common man. Based on your casual grammar and incorrect capitalization, I can only assume you write as someone victimized by Jack Rokenbrod.
A grammar correction! Let’s go. A quarter of your posts being about 41 on Roanoke leads me to believe you have a personal gripe. Just change your name to Koudelka’s jockstrap, I’d have to assume you sniffed it enough doing laundry for the team.
Funny guy you are. Your lowbrow sense of humor leads me to believe that I struck a nerve. Bickering on an online forum is something I frown upon, but you have brought me to the depths of fanlax. Slight correction as well, nerd, only 1/5 of my posts have been about 41. I would appreciate some due diligence on your behalf before posting to the internet.

Regardless, thank you for providing me an entertaining start to my Thursday.
ODACtionEmpire

Post by ODACtionEmpire »

Looks like I'm going to have to remind everyone to remain civil in these forums...

Last night's game was just another classic LYN/NOKE game. Since 2018, the bugs have outscored the Maroons 142-94 and an 8-1 record. Only an 8 goal margin in the past 3 games however, which tells me that Roanoke has improved the past 2 years.

I was not expecting such a high-scoring game, especially with Hadley in net for LYN and Lewis having had some good outings for Noke... not sure I saw Lewis scoring in the cards either, but this game had it all. Roanoke was the better riding team for sure last night, but Hadley was crucial in responding to some of those second chances that he literally handed the Maroons.

For the Kammerman conversation, he is a very balanced attackman. 39 G 36 A. Marindin kept him from going to the goal, but #41 was able to rack up 4 assists with help off the ball - caught LYN Zingo napping for their first G of the game (but that was the only G Whitlow scored). Definitely hurt the Maroons to not have him at full-go in the 4th, but that's just the nature of the game. I think the #9/#9 matchup was the real difference-maker in this game. Whitlow has been producing 3.4 gpg, and Zingo completely erased him from the equation. Noke scored some really nice goals in transition/unsettled situations that kept this one close, so LYN will have to look at this area if they want to run the gauntlet in the ODAC tournament. Gave up similar goals to the Gennies a few weeks ago.

For the LYN offense/Noke defense, the story really is how well LYN shot the ball. 45% shooting is top notch. The only reason people say Pilat coaches good goalies is because of Ian Davies being a literal GOD between the pipes (19 saves, 11 GA in Noke's last W vs the Hornets) during his time. Since then, the play between the pipes has diminished, but I also think the Bugs stepped up their shooting. Really liked the way #38 Vandenburg let the game come to him - I think teams have to put a shorty on him so he'll continue to take advantage of that. Putting a shorty on #1 is disrespectful and he seemed to take it personally - his 1 assist to #55 Wolfe was a beauty. #5 for Noke played very well against #24 Hastings - held him to 2 A. However, I think that's what stands out - LYN has the depth to score from other places.

This has been one of the only games I've been able to sit down and watch end to end, hence my more in-depth analysis. Hoping to catch the W&L matchup with the Maroons to see how they're matching up going into May.
Brokenstick

Post by Brokenstick »

Great game last night between ‘Noke and Lyn. It got me wondering if there is any chance that the ODAC gets 3 teams into the NCAA Tournament this yr? What scenario would need to happen for that to occur?
For example, if a team outside the top 2 seeds gets an upset win in the ODAC tournament, would that be enough for the AQ plus 2 to go? Obviously lots of variables in other conferences and a few more games to play to sort out seeding but seems like the top 5 teams have played each other closely w/the exception of maybe Saturdays RMC/Lynchburg game. The ODAC tournament could get interesting if there is an upset or two.
JustOneTime

Post by JustOneTime »

Brokenstick wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:18 pm Great game last night between ‘Noke and Lyn. It got me wondering if there is any chance that the ODAC gets 3 teams into the NCAA Tournament this yr? What scenario would need to happen for that to occur?
For example, if a team outside the top 2 seeds gets an upset win in the ODAC tournament, would that be enough for the AQ plus 2 to go? Obviously lots of variables in other conferences and a few more games to play to sort out seeding but seems like the top 5 teams have played each other closely w/the exception of maybe Saturdays RMC/Lynchburg game. The ODAC tournament could get interesting if there is an upset or two.
I feel like the only way they get three teams in is if Roanoke beats RMC and W&L and then also makes it to the final of the ODAC tournament. W&L is probably in a better position than Lynchburg to have a slip up and not make the ODAC final.
Laxattackjack

Post by Laxattackjack »

JustOneTime wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:38 am
Brokenstick wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:18 pm Great game last night between ‘Noke and Lyn. It got me wondering if there is any chance that the ODAC gets 3 teams into the NCAA Tournament this yr? What scenario would need to happen for that to occur?
I feel like the only way they get three teams in is if Roanoke beats RMC and W&L and then also makes it to the final of the ODAC tournament. W&L is probably in a better position than Lynchburg to have a slip up and not make the ODAC final.
Roanoke needs a quality win. at this point, the best win is grove city. i feel like they need a close game in the finals to make the tourney.

the problem Roanoke (and other bubble teams) face is the number of teams with better resumes. there are only 10 at large.

NASCEC has 8 teams with better resumes.
Coastal has 2
Liberty has 4
Centennial has 3
ODAC has two teams with better resume.

of these 19 teams, 4 will get AQ. that leaves 15 teams for 10 spots. i can’t imagine more then 4 teams from NESCAC (or any conference), so that still gets you to 11 teams ahead of Roanoke.

but a win over W&L and advancing to the finals (which would be another quality win) could get them in
Chinstrap

Post by Chinstrap »

What is the status of #41 on Noke? Obviously a great player and big piece of the puzzle. Couldn’t tell if it was a cramp or an ankle etc in the game against Lynchburg. They have a pretty tough couple of games coming up.
2laxers

Post by 2laxers »

Chinstrap wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:44 pm What is the status of #41 on Noke? Obviously a great player and big piece of the puzzle. Couldn’t tell if it was a cramp or an ankle etc in the game against Lynchburg. They have a pretty tough couple of games coming up.
Looked like a cramp. Or the training was trying to break his ankle.
Nothinbutthelax

Post by Nothinbutthelax »

1-1 games
Can somebody tell camera person to zoom out a bit.. frame the restraining area.. geez. Dead last for coverage so far.
Nothinbutthelax

Post by Nothinbutthelax »

Better. Saw that one to put LYN up 3-1
Dehuntshigwa’es

Post by Dehuntshigwa’es »

3rd qtr Roanoke leads RMC 13-4 , smoking them. They dismantled HSC. Both teams W&L beat but didn’t play particularly well. Hoping the Generals don’t sleep on Tuesday’s game. Noke looks good, dismantled HSC and RMC today 20-7 and it was worse than that. They are getting almost 50 shots against HSC, Lynchburg and RMC hoping to keep them below 43.
2laxers

Post by 2laxers »

If Roanoke were to beat W&L on Tuesday and Lynchburg beats Shenendoah on Wednesday, does anyone know how the seeding would work out for the top 3? They each would have beat one another head to head. Trying to read through the tie breaking procedure is not easy if they use the 5 point thing. There is also a section on Goal Differential, which I think is between the tied teams. So, Lynchburg is +2 vs. (W&L and Roanoke), Roanoke is -3 vs. Lynchburg and W&L is +1 vs. Lynchburg. If Roanoke were to beat W&L by 4 would the seeding be: 1. Lynchburg 2. Roanoke 3. W&L.
Doxology

Post by Doxology »

ODACtionEmpire wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:50 am The only reason people say Pilat coaches good goalies is because of Ian Davies being a literal GOD between the pipes (19 saves, 11 GA in Noke's last W vs the Hornets) during his time. Since then, the play between the pipes has diminished, but I also think the Bugs stepped up their shooting.
Quick side note - don't forget that Coach Pilat has had a very, very successful goalie camp for the last 30 years . . . he's coached more than just Mr. Davies including a Team AA Goalie in 1990, 91, 92, 94, 97, 2005, 06, 14, 18, & 19.

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”