The Joy of Painting

General Chatter
cradleandshoot

The Joy of Painting

Post by cradleandshoot »

I have been a huge fan of Bob Ross for many years. I am still contemplating buying some paints and brushes and taking a stab at painting in the Bob Ross method. There is a Bob Ross painting up for auction from his very first season of "The Joy of Painting" The estimated sale price at auction........9,850,000 dollars. Bob Ross nailed it when he said he never made mistakes and only had happy accidents. I don't believe that sale price would have impressed him one bit. He would have been more concerned about his friends that lived in his back yard. My favorite was pea pod the pocket squirrel.
I use to be a people person until people ruined that for me.
runrussellrun

Re: The Joy of Painting

Post by runrussellrun »

cradleandshoot wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2023 7:36 am I have been a huge fan of Bob Ross for many years. I am still contemplating buying some paints and brushes and taking a stab at painting in the Bob Ross method. There is a Bob Ross painting up for auction from his very first season of "The Joy of Painting" The estimated sale price at auction........9,850,000 dollars. Bob Ross nailed it when he said he never made mistakes and only had happy accidents. I don't believe that sale price would have impressed him one bit. He would have been more concerned about his friends that lived in his back yard. My favorite was pea pod the pocket squirrel.
DO IT........why wait. Go order them today.

hint: buy canvas that has already been painted, if you are going the acrylic or oil route. Thrift stores are great for them.

You can get a 3' by 5' canvas, often time with nice matte and frames, with glass, for about $3-4 bucks. Same sized canvas cost's $40 plus.

and you gottat PRIME anything with gesso. (essentially paint and elmers glue and corn starch )

Bob Ross is a gem. Learning "art", and negative space, light, compostition, perspective, etc. translates to so much in life.

Don't wait, buy a paint and brush set TODAY.

Been doing a series of lacrosse art, which, strangley, there isn't a ton of. Actually, hardly any at all. Forget his name, but he had done those nice pen and ink, with water color highlights, for years. Almost done with the BC womens goalie acrylic to where I like it.

Time to watch a session of Boho yoga, literally one of the most attractive woman on the planet. Watching her do the frog is one of the most wonderful things I have ever seen on the internet.
ILM...Independent Lives Matter
Pronouns: "we" and "suck"
tech37

Post by tech37 »

:D Go for it C&S! One of my closest friends, a very talented graphic designer working in NYC for many years, just retired and is renting studio space to draw and paint. In a figurative sense he's taken a sledgehammer to his computer and is now doing what he's wanted to for years.

Purpose through art C&S!
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

For some inspiration: https://www.facebook.com/PaintingSkillsKA

I have been telling myself this for about 5-6 years, craddle. As a kid I did in 3rd or 4th grade a did a mosaic, of a fruit basket, won the school art project and was able to go have it put on display at the Corcoran Gallery in DC. If I can find it I'll post it here.

I keep waffling between that and leathering.

Back to Bob Ross, I was sad to learn this recent AI Painting Journey was a fake. The claim, was Bob was actually painting a journey through the forest. https://knowyourmeme.com/news/people-cl ... -are-lying

If you send me your address, I'll be more than happy to send you a starter kit. Looking forward to hearing more about it.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

Great comments from all of you. All of my painting experience involved interior and exterior house painting. I have zero artistic ability at all outside of my woodworking projects. I always liked Bobs attitude that anyone can learn to paint. I will give it a go in the near future. Oil paints with of course odorless paint thinner to clean the brush and beat the devil out of it. :D My wife thinks I'm crazy because at 5am when Roxy wakes me up I'm always watching the joy of painting. It never gets old for me.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
ardilla secreta

Post by ardilla secreta »

cradleandshoot wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2023 7:36 am I have been a huge fan of Bob Ross for many years. I am still contemplating buying some paints and brushes and taking a stab at painting in the Bob Ross method. There is a Bob Ross painting up for auction from his very first season of "The Joy of Painting" The estimated sale price at auction........9,850,000 dollars. Bob Ross nailed it when he said he never made mistakes and only had happy accidents. I don't believe that sale price would have impressed him one bit. He would have been more concerned about his friends that lived in his back yard. My favorite was pea pod the pocket squirrel.
You should pen or paint caricatures of other members of the forum based on what you think they look like or represent.
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

ardilla secreta wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 5:09 pm
You should pen or paint caricatures of other members of the forum based on what you think they look like or represent.
That would be fun. Everybody would be drawn in stick figure form. I'm okay doing landscapes.
DMac

Post by DMac »

ardilla secreta wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 5:09 pm You should pen or paint caricatures of other members of the forum based on what you think they look like or represent.
I did one of what I thought one of the posters might look like.
Any guesses as to who that might be?
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

My favorite painting
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
Typical Lax Dad

Two more….

I love Vermeer

And a modern study

youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 9:07 pm Image

My favorite painting
that one has you just staring at it with intent trying figure it out.
~Livy
Typical Lax Dad

youthathletics wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 9:18 pm

My favorite painting
Yes. I have had it for 30 years.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 9:21 pm
youthathletics wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 9:18 pm

My favorite painting
Yes. I have had it for 30 years.
Very nice piece.
~Livy
Typical Lax Dad

Got this 28 years ago.
44WeWantMore

Post by 44WeWantMore »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 9:11 pm Two more….

I love Vermeer

And a modern study

I enjoyed a novel based on an imaginary back-story for the painting.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Girl_with ... ng_(novel)
Be in their flowing cups freshly rememb'red.
Typical Lax Dad

44WeWantMore wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 7:14 am
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 9:11 pm Two more….

I love Vermeer

And a modern study

I enjoyed a novel based on an imaginary back-story for the painting.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Girl_with ... ng_(novel)
The book was great. I also saw the film. Scarlet Johansson was good as was the actress that played Vermeer’s wife.
tech37

Post by tech37 »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 9:47 pm Image

Got this 28 years ago.
Those are really nice pieces. Who is the artist?

Perhaps they were inspired by this early de Kooning...

Typical Lax Dad

My best friend’s dad was the artist. He passed away in 2019 and his son passed away in 2021. He was probably more of a disciple of Degas, Vermeer and Picasso though he referenced Pollock and de Kooning as well….. here is another example. I don’t own this one…

My painting was his first in this style. Started it in early 80’s and kept evolving. I think he gave it to me in ‘88.
Last edited by Typical Lax Dad on Wed Sep 20, 2023 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Typical Lax Dad

Completely different style that I like. Cubism. Found it maybe 20 years ago.

Return to “GENERAL CHATTER”