Connecticut 2024

HS Boys Lacrosse
connecticutlaxfan

Re: Connecticut 2024

Post by connecticutlaxfan »

As for Weston, they are just in a severe down year having graduated a really strong and pivotal 2023 class and losing their coach. I think they will be fine but it’s hard to maintain a championship-caliber team 4 years in a row at a school like Weston, especially when you lose a ton of key contributors.

As for schools like Barlow, NF, and New Milford (and any other SWC teams), I’d say it’s more just year to year. I’d argue that there is less and less concentrated talent in CT which makes it harder for the smaller schools to get by, and with the emergence of prep school lacrosse all these schools probably lose some great players to prep schools like Deerfield, Taft, Loomis, etc. I just think kids believe it gives them a better chance to play at the next level which is kind of a shame for public school lax.

That’s just my take but I’d love to hear what anyone else thinks.

As for the FCIAC, some great games yesterday:

Darien beats Staples 7-4. Stout defensive effort and a smooth offensive performance did the trick for the Blue Wave. Staples won faceoffs (as every team has against Darien this year) but didn’t do a lot with those wins. Besides FOGO, Darien seems to be very complete and well rounded across the field. Staples is also a very strong team that will make some noise. Excited to see how both teams fare against St. Anthony’s this week.

New Canaan beats Ridgefield 10-9. Great game! Ridgefield is definitely a strong team that can contend with anyone. Colsey looks the part of the best player in the state and is a huge difference maker. The defense also looks strong and the goalie Penn has been playing very well. The faceoffs were definitely skewed towards New Canaan but Ridgefield held their own, won a bunch and didn’t let it affect the game too much (outside of NC’s opening goal!). New Canaan’s offense has looked very good and they seem to mesh well together. The weather definitely played a factor and limited ball movement for them, which I think will help open up their offense even more and get players like Crowell on the board more.

Wilton beats Greenwich 8-6. Very solid outing from the Warriors who went on a 4-0 run to end the game. Wilton did a great job capitalizing off of Greenwich’s (many) mistakes. The Cardinals seemed to be unable to ride or clear consistently, and forced way too many passes that were picked off or flew out of bounds. Wilton’s defense is legit, they played very well and got a lot of stops 6v6 and in transition. Wilton also did a great job overcoming and mitigating a dominant (80+%) faceoff effort from Greenwich’s Lane Critchell. Definitely a lot to work on for both teams and we’ll see how they do this week.
Kismet

Post by Kismet »

It is really just the same old story - the FCIAC haves plus Prep are miles above anyone else including the second tier (Cheshire, Glastonbury, Simsbury) who are just not in the same class although Cheshire might get close or lucky.

In Class M - two pre-season championship favorites - Weston and Hand better wake up soon or they will be spectators for the post-season without 7 wins. Weston has a better shot with all the SWC cupcakes they have to play. Hand not so much although they are losing close games.
They are going to need to beat Amity, Conard, Xavier, Guilford and Minnechaug MA plus NDWH and Weston - can only lose one of those
BlueWarrior

Post by BlueWarrior »

And yet we have another example.

Masuk and Brookfield just beat Newtown in consecutive games. That hadn't happened (in the same season) since 2005. Newtown has had some solid seasons with some talented teams, but the last several years the program has struggled. And not just against Marty's Machine, although a study of that model would indicate exactly why New Fairfield has consistently delivered competitive teams while towns like Newtown have not. Marty and his minions have created a lacrosse CULTURE in New Fairfield. It's a big deal to be a Rebel lacrosse player.

Maybe it was never like that in Newtown, or maybe it was, however briefly - but certainly it was in New Milford, because a while back those programs were generating some solid talent and putting up respectable records against (admittedly) all but the state's best teams. But the lack of consistency - perhaps driven by coaching changes but also other factors (year round wrestling in both towns, an expectation that kids focus on football in Newtown, the addition of spring boys volleyball) - has had a damaging impact, and the product on the field just hasn't been there. Weston, Barlow and New Fairfield have carried the torch for the SWC, and while the FCIAC intelligentsia will undoubtedly say "who cares?", the downward trend of at least these two towns - both of which were seemingly getting somewhere with this sport - has been difficult to watch for those tied to the programs.

One can only hope that this down year in Weston is an anomaly, because this is a conference that needs variety and competition to gain any respect from the rest of the state.
fritz44

Post by fritz44 »

Wilton beats Staples 7-6 in OT. I only started watching the stream mid way through the first quarter but by my count, Wilton only won a single face-off the entire game and it was on a false start. Pretty remarkable they were able to win with such a severe possession disadvantage. Staples missed a few open opportunities on the door step in the 1st half on a mixture of desperation saves by Wiltons goalie and hitting a few pipes. Both goalies and defenses played well but Wilton was able to build a solid lead in the 1st half and just barely survived a good comeback effort.

The league seems to be nearly just as balanced as last season, although Darien at full strength may pull away from the pack. Wilton seems to be the same story as last season, very sloppy in the first few games then suddenly they figure out how to not drop passes :lol: .
FC_YAK

Post by FC_YAK »

Darien falls to St. A’s 9-5. It was a much closer game than the final score indicates. Tied in the 4th quarter before a St. A’s 3 goal run. Darien played a very good game and looked like a tier 1 team. Some great FCIAC games coming up for them and should be a fun race to the championship.
FC_YAK

Post by FC_YAK »

Watched the Wilton v Yorktown game online today. This Wilton team is tough and getting much better. They are really young but they are figuring it out with these young kids. The defense continues to be aggressive and causes a lot of turnover and they are starting to look more like last years team where they have some sloppy play but start finding a way to gel.

Hard to say how good Yorktown is after Darien buried them but Wilton showed some grit in the win.

FCIAC rankings after the weekend (my view):
Darien
NC
Ridgefield
Wilton
Staples
Greenwich
Ludlowe
Mike75

Post by Mike75 »

Prep with the comeback in OT last night over Cheshire, 14-13. I'm liking Prep in LL. Winning close games, strong OOC schedule, and good coaching bodes well for them IMO.
But Cheshire should have won this game. Up by 3 twice in the 4th, but couldn't put the game away and ended up having to tie it at the end of regulation to force OT. They choose to play a weak OOC schedule which I think hurts them in these type of games. Guessing they don't care as they should win L regardless (which is also their choice).
pcowlax

Post by pcowlax »

Mike75 wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 11:09 am Prep with the comeback in OT last night over Cheshire, 14-13. I'm liking Prep in LL. Winning close games, strong OOC schedule, and good coaching bodes well for them IMO.
But Cheshire should have won this game. Up by 3 twice in the 4th, but couldn't put the game away and ended up having to tie it at the end of regulation to force OT. They choose to play a weak OOC schedule which I think hurts them in these type of games. Guessing they don't care as they should win L regardless (which is also their choice).
Prep certainly battle tested and impressive ability to win close games. I think though that they are in for a bunch more in LL, there are 3-4 teams at a very similar level, should be an amazing tournament. I don't want to use too strong language but the decision by Cheshire to play in L was and is, uhm, unfortunate. Excellent team, they are unlikely to ever be this good again. They will win a state championship, yay.
FC_YAK

Post by FC_YAK »

It's fine to say it, it's weak. And they know it's weak. NC and Wilton opted up (appropriately) even though Wilton knew they would have a down year. Cheshire will get their state title but they are good enough to win the big boy title and they opted to not compete. That can't sit well.
BlueWarrior

Post by BlueWarrior »

FC_YAK wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 3:09 pm It's fine to say it, it's weak. And they know it's weak. NC and Wilton opted up (appropriately) even though Wilton knew they would have a down year. Cheshire will get their state title but they are good enough to win the big boy title and they opted to not compete. That can't sit well.
This Prep game was their opportunity. But they'll have it again in the SCC Championship Game. If they beat Prep for that title and win another trophy in Class L...they will find a way to rationalize their decision.
Greg29

Post by Greg29 »

Is there any doubt that Cheshire wins - L, Barlow wins - M, and New Fairfield wins - S ?
LL is the only class up for grabs with maybe 6 teams with a realistic chance (Darien, Prep, New Cannan, Ridgefield, Staples and Wilton). Other than them, I doubt anyone has a chance. For L, M,and S, it just seems like going through the motions.
Kismet

Post by Kismet »

Greg29 wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 11:37 am Is there any doubt that Cheshire wins - L, Barlow wins - M, and New Fairfield wins - S ?
LL is the only class up for grabs with maybe 6 teams with a realistic chance (Darien, Prep, New Cannan, Ridgefield, Staples and Wilton). Other than them, I doubt anyone has a chance. For L, M,and S, it just seems like going through the motions.
Actually in M Hand qualifies with two more wins and, if this comes to pass, they'd be a legit contender v Barlow.
Weston is out of the post-season. No path to 7 wins.

Return to “HS BOYS LACROSSE”