Washington College 2024

D3 Mens Lacrosse
veryoldgoose

Re: Washington College 2024

Post by veryoldgoose »

Jumbo wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 5:16 pm W&L is a top 15 team. Washington College probably isn’t even a top 30 team. a loss this weekend is expected. the goal should be to hope for some progress. seeing better ball movement. seeing better defense. anything can happen and Washington College could win. but i wouldn’t be too upset if they lose this weekend.

based on what has been said here, it looks like they are at least moving in the right direction.
I think the opposite is what people are reporting - things are not going in the right direction. I don't even think WAC is a top 50 team right now, but I do agree that a loss is expected.
GoTerriers8

Post by GoTerriers8 »

WAC did their players a disservice hiring Nostrant. He is not a good coach for this program, it shouldn't matter what he did as a player.
ChopMan23

Post by ChopMan23 »

GoTerriers8 wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 9:56 pm WAC did their players a disservice hiring Nostrant. He is not a good coach for this program, it shouldn't matter what he did as a player.
Third or fourth poster to make this claim. Can you be the first to provide color on why you think he is not a good coach? what is going wrong in Chestertown? Cannot speak on how he is doing but in his defense, he has minimal talent to work with and the school is lame.
Shoregouzer58

Post by Shoregouzer58 »

ChopMan23 wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 9:50 am
GoTerriers8 wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 9:56 pm WAC did their players a disservice hiring Nostrant. He is not a good coach for this program, it shouldn't matter what he did as a player.
Third or fourth poster to make this claim. Can you be the first to provide color on why you think he is not a good coach? what is going wrong in Chestertown? Cannot speak on how he is doing but in his defense, he has minimal talent to work with and the school is lame.
I think divulging the inner workings of the team isn't in the best interest of anyone, even curious alums. The point is, we want to see this team get better and the product on the field hasn't indicated that over the past 3 years. Time to come out of the stone age.
FellowGoose

Post by FellowGoose »

Shoregouzer58 wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 11:40 am [quote=ChopMan23 post_id=521671 time=<a href="tel:1708699856">1708699856</a> user_id=2388]
[quote=GoTerriers8 post_id=521620 time=<a href="tel:1708657010">1708657010</a> user_id=5425]
WAC did their players a disservice hiring Nostrant. He is not a good coach for this program, it shouldn't matter what he did as a player.
[/quote]

I think divulging the inner workings of the team isn't in the best interest of anyone, even curious alums. The point is, we want to see this team get better and the product on the field hasn't indicated that over the past 3 years. Time to come out of the stone age.
[/quote]

I agree 100% with ShoreGouzer. If people are interested in what has gone on in Chestertown over the last 5 years. Reach out to players who have been on those teams. This alumni network is so strong yet there seems to be a disconnect amongst those who played in the “golden years” and hearing the voices of those who have been with the program in recent years.
ChopMan23

Post by ChopMan23 »

Shoregouzer58 wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 11:40 am
All i asked was what makes him not a good coach? No one needs the inner workings of a team posted on a public forum, nor is anyone asking for that. Lots of recent alums are connected into what is going on in Ctown. To me, it sounds like a few disgruntled former players are making baseless claims they cannot expand upon. No one was / is expecting immediate positive results given the state of the school following the COVID shut down.
MVPiccoli

Post by MVPiccoli »

ChopMan23 wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 3:01 pm
All i asked was what makes him not a good coach? No one needs the inner workings of a team posted on a public forum, nor is anyone asking for that. Lots of recent alums are connected into what is going on in Ctown. To me, it sounds like a few disgruntled former players are making baseless claims they cannot expand upon. No one was / is expecting immediate positive results given the state of the school following the COVID shut down.
Indeed you did. There was a recruit's Dad a page or so back that detailed his experience. I only have second hand experience from his High School teams, friends and club teammates that LOVED the guy. Watching him from the stands over the years, he was incredibly engaged and appeared to make adjustments well. He was able to bring in uber talented players from boundary based schools that were fantastic in their own right. That's all I know about him.
veryoldgoose

Post by veryoldgoose »

I'd just say that it is not just "a few disguntled players". A number of older alumni who have been around for years are also hearing and seeing things directly are raising concerns. People that interact with the players and program directly.

Also, COVID can only be an excuse for so long. Every other college in the USA faced the same hardships. Gettysburg hasn't missed a beat. Toner took over from a HOF coach after COVID and immediately found success and has had nothing but success.
ChopMan23

Post by ChopMan23 »

veryoldgoose wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 3:46 pm
I'd just say that it is not just "a few disguntled players". A number of older alumni who have been around for years are also hearing and seeing things directly are raising concerns. People that interact with the players and program directly.

Also, COVID can only be an excuse for so long. Every other college in the USA faced the same hardships. Gettysburg hasn't missed a beat. Toner took over from a HOF coach after COVID and immediately found success and has had nothing but success.
That is because Gettysburg had winning seasons prior and multiple trips to the NCAAs which allowed them to get back on their feet. WC had less than 1000 undergrads after 2020, and the program already stunk before. It has been almost 10 years since a CC play off appearance. The difference between 2016-2020 to 2020-present was the talent. There was a ton of talent on campus, it just went to waste. After 2020, these talented players stopped giving WC the time of day because they STUNK with the talent they had. I do not understand why people are expecting better results. The best player on the roster in the last 3 years was a goalie.
westernbestern

Post by westernbestern »

Comparing WAC and Gettysburg programs is pointless. Two totally different institutions on totally different trajectories. I’m sorry but Chestertown is a shell of what it used to be and with a student body of under 1000 there’s only so much “we used to be really good” you can tell kids.

Seniors: Shirk recruits
Juniors: Shirks last class after he had already told team he was leaving in the fall
Sophomores: Nostrant’s first class
Freshman: Big class with many playing in the first game

Expecting a magical turnaround after 2 seasons and going 0-6, 2-6 the years prior is just crazy. If the product looks the same in 2 years when it’s all Nostrant recruits, then it’s time to be critical.
LILaxGuy08

Post by LILaxGuy08 »

westernbestern wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 8:41 pm

Comparing WAC and Gettysburg programs is pointless. Two totally different institutions on totally different trajectories. I’m sorry but Chestertown is a shell of what it used to be and with a student body of under 1000 there’s only so much “we used to be really good” you can tell kids.

Seniors: Shirk recruits
Juniors: Shirks last class after he had already told team he was leaving in the fall
Sophomores: Nostrant’s first class
Freshman: Big class with many playing in the first game

Expecting a magical turnaround after 2 seasons and going 0-6, 2-6 the years prior is just crazy. If the product looks the same in 2 years when it’s all Nostrant recruits, then it’s time to be critical.
Finally someone who makes sense in this thread. You cannot judge a coach on W/L until his 4th season. This FR class is his first true recruiting class with the current commit cycle (most kids committing summer after JR year - have to build that relationship!!!!!!)

Similar to the Centennial thread crushing the Ursinus coach. He hasn't even recruited a class yet!
ergit

Post by ergit »

No connection to this program, but you build a winner by building a team culture. It takes time.

People should just chill and give the coaching staff space and time. Stay out of your players’ heads.
Jumbo

Post by Jumbo »

ergit wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 10:25 pm No connection to this program, but you build a winner by building a team culture. It takes time.

People should just chill and give the coaching staff space and time. Stay out of your players’ heads.
i agree with this. i am sure players and potential recruits will see this. no need for them to think the alumni don’t have faith in the program.
LeftBenchCoach

Post by LeftBenchCoach »

Jumbo wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 7:45 am
ergit wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 10:25 pm No connection to this program, but you build a winner by building a team culture. It takes time.

i agree with this. i am sure players and potential recruits will see this. no need for them to think the alumni don’t have faith in the program.
The passion of the alumni is a major part of why my son committed to WAC. The energy and passion for the program and the surrounding area was simply electric. Every person we talked with who played at WAC absolutely loved it there. Having a coach committed to long-term success of the program vs climbing the coaching ladder was a significant deciding factor.

When you show up to a chilly first home game and get 400+ attendees with some hecklers on the hill it helps show the players, the recruits, and the administration that people care. The fact that lacrosse is the most popular men's sport, also important and unique, was another factor. The War at the Shore (even if not successful the last few years) with the passion and energy was another factor. When looking at attendance at low-level D1 programs WAC beats many of them. Even up to some of the mid-level programs. Some never get above 1000 for ANY game.

The feeling was that WAC was down, but not out and the upsides outweigh the downsides.
ChopMan23

Post by ChopMan23 »

LeftBenchCoach wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 10:29 am
Jumbo wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 7:45 am

The passion of the alumni is a major part of why my son committed to WAC. The energy and passion for the program and the surrounding area was simply electric. Every person we talked with who played at WAC absolutely loved it there. Having a coach committed to long-term success of the program vs climbing the coaching ladder was a significant deciding factor.

When you show up to a chilly first home game and get 400+ attendees with some hecklers on the hill it helps show the players, the recruits, and the administration that people care. The fact that lacrosse is the most popular men's sport, also important and unique, was another factor. The War at the Shore (even if not successful the last few years) with the passion and energy was another factor. When looking at attendance at low-level D1 programs WAC beats many of them. Even up to some of the mid-level programs. Some never get above 1000 for ANY game.

The feeling was that WAC was down, but not out and the upsides outweigh the downsides.
Love to hear it.
oglaxgod420

Post by oglaxgod420 »

I’m a fan of the Nostrant era and what he represents. The energy and grit earlier today in Lexington was much improved and what the Shoremen need to feed off of. However, (including scrimmage week) 3 weeks in a row with piss poor/nonexistent adjustments. Guys being rotated on and off the field with seemingly no strategy. I’ll always root for the Shoremen, but truly seemed like another outing of being out coached.
RE6ULATOR

Post by RE6ULATOR »

My bud who was on the NC team told me that, earlier in the season, they had lost to the same teams they beat in the tournament on the way to the NC. That’s coaching. Adjustments and alterations. You just can’t keep the same game plan and expect different results, especially when everyone else gets to watch and see how you were beaten. Mix it up for goodness sake.
Shoregouzer58

Post by Shoregouzer58 »

Mixed up the lineups it seems. I like what I see!
dirtybird77

Post by dirtybird77 »

Impressive win for the Shoremen last night. Offense seemed to figure out scoring issue despite lots of TO's. Was nice to see new faces contributing on both sides of the ball due to injuries building up. Usual culprits struck as well last night, Garrison, Brennan, Morgan and Dickinson seemed to have found their stride. Defense held a notoriously strong E-town offense to just 9 goals despite playing 5 different close defenders. Huge contributions off the bench by Hazelhurst (#23) and Smith (#36) as well as an outstanding performance in net from Gray.
ChopMan23

Post by ChopMan23 »

dirtybird77 wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 11:44 am Impressive win for the Shoremen last night. Offense seemed to figure out scoring issue despite lots of TO's. Was nice to see new faces contributing on both sides of the ball due to injuries building up. Usual culprits struck as well last night, Garrison, Brennan, Morgan and Dickinson seemed to have found their stride. Defense held a notoriously strong E-town offense to just 9 goals despite playing 5 different close defenders. Huge contributions off the bench by Hazelhurst (#23) and Smith (#36) as well as an outstanding performance in net from Gray.
Hopefully the boys have some confidence going into two very winnable games. I think these are crucial going into what looks like two strong teams in Ithaca and Skidmore!

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”