Washington College 2024

D3 Mens Lacrosse
DuelingBanjos

Re: Washington College 2024

Post by DuelingBanjos »

ChopMan23 wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 11:59 am
dirtybird77 wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 11:44 am Impressive win for the Shoremen last night. Offense seemed to figure out scoring issue despite lots of TO's. Was nice to see new faces contributing on both sides of the ball due to injuries building up. Usual culprits struck as well last night, Garrison, Brennan, Morgan and Dickinson seemed to have found their stride. Defense held a notoriously strong E-town offense to just 9 goals despite playing 5 different close defenders. Huge contributions off the bench by Hazelhurst (#23) and Smith (#36) as well as an outstanding performance in net from Gray.
Hopefully the boys have some confidence going into two very winnable games. I think these are crucial going into what looks like two strong teams in Ithaca and Skidmore!
WAC lost to Eastern 14-7
Eastern lost to Mary Wash 13-8
Mary Wash lost to Randolph-Macon 14-8

While I hope you’re right and they pick off one (or both) heading into the games against Skidmore/Ithaca, I’m not sure how “winnable” the Mary Wash/Randolph Macon games are, but we’ll find out soon enough. Not a lot of layups on this years schedule, no doubt.

Still need to clean up the turnovers (27 is WAY too many, but they got away with it last night) but a 65% faceoff percentage like they had will keep them in a lot of games
ChopMan23

Post by ChopMan23 »

DuelingBanjos wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 12:19 pm
ChopMan23 wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 11:59 am
dirtybird77 wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 11:44 am Impressive win for the Shoremen last night. Offense seemed to figure out scoring issue despite lots of TO's. Was nice to see new faces contributing on both sides of the ball due to injuries building up. Usual culprits struck as well last night, Garrison, Brennan, Morgan and Dickinson seemed to have found their stride. Defense held a notoriously strong E-town offense to just 9 goals despite playing 5 different close defenders. Huge contributions off the bench by Hazelhurst (#23) and Smith (#36) as well as an outstanding performance in net from Gray.
Hopefully the boys have some confidence going into two very winnable games. I think these are crucial going into what looks like two strong teams in Ithaca and Skidmore!
WAC lost to Eastern 14-7
Eastern lost to Mary Wash 13-8
Mary Wash lost to Randolph-Macon 14-8

While I hope you’re right and they pick off one (or both) heading into the games against Skidmore/Ithaca, I’m not sure how “winnable” the Mary Wash/Randolph Macon games are, but we’ll find out soon enough. Not a lot of layups on this years schedule, no doubt.

Still need to clean up the turnovers (27 is WAY too many, but they got away with it last night) but a 65% faceoff percentage like they had will keep them in a lot of games
Absolutely no lay ups for this young team, agreed. But I believe both these games can go either way. There has been a lot inconsistency in D3 to start the year.
ChopMan23

Post by ChopMan23 »

A good week's rest coming off a great first win - I think they are due for another. Gonna predict 13-10 with the Shoremen pulling away in the 2nd half.
gooselover92

Post by gooselover92 »

Great game coming from the shoremen today I can feel it. Kill those freaking eagles boys!
ScottieRodgers

Post by ScottieRodgers »

ChopMan23 wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 4:17 pm A good week's rest coming off a great first win - I think they are due for another. Gonna predict 13-10 with the Shoremen pulling away in the 2nd half.
gooselover92 wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 9:21 am Great game coming from the shoremen today I can feel it. Kill those freaking eagles boys!
Pp poopoo ahh take go birds
Turnandrake!

Post by Turnandrake! »

1-3 and we lose to an awful Mary Wash team. Yikes.
SixBySix

Post by SixBySix »

Turnandrake! wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 10:32 pm 1-3 and we lose to an awful Mary Wash team. Yikes.
UMW would very likely be in the mix for the CC playoffs and will likely finish 12-4 or 11-5 this year. Hardly awful.
FellowGoose

Post by FellowGoose »

UMW would very likely be in the mix for the CC playoffs and will likely finish 12-4 or 11-5 this year. Hardly awful.
[/quote]

Smoking dope if you think that classifies them as in the conversation for being good
zonedef

Post by zonedef »

FellowGoose wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 11:51 pm UMW would very likely be in the mix for the CC playoffs and will likely finish 12-4 or 11-5 this year. Hardly awful.
Smoking dope if you think that classifies them as in the conversation for being good
[/quote]

27 turnovers and losing the groundball battle too? 8 man up opportunities and still being out shot?? Good luck against Randy Mac!
veryoldgoose

Post by veryoldgoose »

Four games into the season and so far the concern from after the Eastern loss has held up to be more than legitimate. 1-3, with at least two bad losses. The most concerning thing to me is that 4 games in, WAC is still getting beat or getting worse with the basics. For example, 18 turnovers by WAC against Eastern, 21 against W&L, 27 against Elizabethtown (showing how poor Etown is to lose that game), and 27 against UMW last night. Those are a crazy numbers of turnovers, and they are increasing each game (at least leveled off the last two). Can't play winning lacrosse against even mediocre teams with 20+ turnovers. It also cannot be a sign of positive player and game development to have turnover numbers like that and its increase into the season.

Going to be a long stretch before even getting into Centennial play. RMC is 5-0 with trashings of Haverford, Ursinus, and a head to head win against UMW. Ithaca is 2-2. Skidmore is 5-0 with two NESCAC wins already. At best, WAC is looking at possibly one win in the next three. It can't be acceptable to enter Centennial play somewhere like 2-6 in all likelihood, particularly given the downward trend in stats like turnovers. This is not year one or two for this coaching staff, so doing this poorly in a seriously reduced strength OOC schedule is horrid to watch.
oglaxgod420

Post by oglaxgod420 »

veryoldgoose wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 9:42 am Four games into the season and so far the concern from after the Eastern loss has held up to be more than legitimate. 1-3, with at least two bad losses. The most concerning thing to me is that 4 games in, WAC is still getting beat or getting worse with the basics. For example, 18 turnovers by WAC against Eastern, 21 against W&L, 27 against Elizabethtown (showing how poor Etown is to lose that game), and 27 against UMW last night. Those are a crazy numbers of turnovers, and they are increasing each game (at least leveled off the last two). Can't play winning lacrosse against even mediocre teams with 20+ turnovers. It also cannot be a sign of positive player and game development to have turnover numbers like that and its increase into the season.

Going to be a long stretch before even getting into Centennial play. RMC is 5-0 with trashings of Haverford, Ursinus, and a head to head win against UMW. Ithaca is 2-2. Skidmore is 5-0 with two NESCAC wins already. At best, WAC is looking at possibly one win in the next three. It can't be acceptable to enter Centennial play somewhere like 2-6 in all likelihood, particularly given the downward trend in stats like turnovers. This is not year one or two for this coaching staff, so doing this poorly in a seriously reduced strength OOC schedule is horrid to watch.
Just let the kids play lacrosse ffs
MVPiccoli

Post by MVPiccoli »

"Embrace the suck." ~ Joe Thomas ~ David Goggins ~ Cabrini University Board ~ WAC Lax Alumni 2024
choochooCharlie

Post by choochooCharlie »

MVPiccoli wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 10:22 am "Embrace the suck." ~ Joe Thomas ~ David Goggins ~ Cabrini University Board ~ WAC Lax Alumni 2024
:lol:
LaxPundit07

Post by LaxPundit07 »

oglaxgod420 wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 1:02 pm Not sure Nostrant was the right hire. Hearing morale in Chestertown is LOW and has never been up since he arrived.
Oglaxgod420: Just let the kids play lacrosse? Aren’t you the same guy who posted this earlier? lol
ChopMan23

Post by ChopMan23 »

Turnovers continue to haunt this team but they fought hard against a RMC program that is trending up. I like what I saw from some of the younger guys today, Bond #5 had some real nice plays, hopefully he can build off todays game. Slick, good stick, gave it to the rmc bench after scoring, love to see that. Defense looked a little better, just need to clean these horrendous TO's up.
westernbestern

Post by westernbestern »

ChopMan23 wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 4:28 pm Turnovers continue to haunt this team but they fought hard against a RMC program that is trending up. I like what I saw from some of the younger guys today, Bond #5 had some real nice plays, hopefully he can build off todays game. Slick, good stick, gave it to the rmc bench after scoring, love to see that. Defense looked a little better, just need to clean these horrendous TO's up.
I have been quietly watching for the last three games. I had the chance to go to today's matchup at Randolph Macon. Here is what I've noticed.

Turnovers are the largest problem for this team. On offense they don't seem to have a guy who can calm things down and is a steady stick. That showed today since RMC locked off #22 for the majority of the game.

I think the defense has played well given the circumstances (2 senior starters out hurt, #6 & #3). #36 on defense played a lot vs Etown and started vs UMW. I saw all 3 of them on the sideline today not dressed. They had their backup LSM #1 starting down there today. The freshman goalie didn't play great today but overall I have been impressed.

The offense seems to be what is holding them back. In the last 2 games I have counted over 10 different midfielders played out of the box. It almost looks like they can't figure out who to play. Personally nobody in particular has stood out as a "must play" at the midfield other than #5 & maybe #32. I did not see #32 on the field vs UMW or today though, but he looked great against Etown.

Another thing is they have started 3 right handed players at attack, #17 who is a senior lefty (started 9 games & scored 15 goals as a sophomore) has only played man up, but got in for some possessions today. They ran a nice mumbo play to get him a goal, he has a knee brace so maybe he is coming back from injury? The kid can shoot the ball pretty well. #50 on attack doesn't do it for me and I hope to see #17 get a look if healthy. #50 played midfield last year too. It's been great to watch #35 come back and play as he has had a clear impact in scoring goals.

As an alum, its hard to admit but it makes sense that Randolph Macon is having the success they are having compared to WAC. The stadium, athletic facilities, and campus were very impressive. I've said this before but Chestertown is not what it used to be, the facilities are outdated, and kids these days don't know anything about Washington College, so "we used to be really good" only goes so far.

This group has potential but it is limited in my opinion. Hopefully they can find some chemistry/heart and pull out some tough wins. GO SHOREMEN!
Last edited by westernbestern on Sat Mar 09, 2024 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ChopMan23

Post by ChopMan23 »

westernbestern wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 8:09 pm
ChopMan23 wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 4:28 pm Turnovers continue to haunt this team but they fought hard against a RMC program that is trending up. I like what I saw from some of the younger guys today, Bond #5 had some real nice plays, hopefully he can build off todays game. Slick, good stick, gave it to the rmc bench after scoring, love to see that. Defense looked a little better, just need to clean these horrendous TO's up.
I have been quietly watching for the last three games. I had the chance to go to today's matchup at Randolph Macon. Here is what I've noticed.

Turnovers are the largest problem for this team. On offense they don't seem to have a guy who can calm things down and is a steady stick. That showed today since RMC locked off #22 for the majority of the game.

I think the defense has played well given the circumstances (2 senior starters out hurt, #6 & #3). #36 on defense played a lot vs Etown and started vs UMW. I saw all 3 of them on the sideline today not dressed. They had their backup LSM #1 starting down there today. The freshman goalie didn't play great today but overall I have been impressed.

The offense seems to be what is holding them back. In the last 2 games I have counted over 10 different midfielders played out of the box. It almost looks like they can't figure out who to play. Personally nobody in particular has stood out as a "must play" at the midfield other than #5 & maybe #32. I did not see #32 on the field vs UMW or today though, but he looked great against Etown.

Another thing is they have started 3 right handed players at attack, #17 who is a senior lefty (started 9 games & scored 15 goals as a sophomore) has only played man up, but got in for some possessions today. They ran a nice mumbo play to get him a goal, he has a knee brace so maybe he is coming back from injury? The kid can shoot the ball pretty well. #50 on attack doesn't do it for me and I hope to see #17 get a look if healthy. It's been great to watch #35 come back and play as he has had a clear impact in scoring goals.

As an alum, its hard to admit but it makes sense that Randolph Macon is having the success they are having compared to WAC. The stadium, athletic facilities, and campus were very impressive. I've said this before but Chestertown is not what it used to be, the facilities are outdated, and kids these days don't know anything about Washington College, so "we used to be really good" only goes so far.

This group has potential but it is limited in my opinion. Hopefully they can find some chemistry/heart and pull out some tough wins. GO SHOREMEN!
I don't think its the facilities driving recruits away. They have a great locker room, only one on the main level and not in the dungeon of the JFC. Weight room is great, 8 racks, lots of different machines. The players have access to weight and shooting facilities daily. They get hooked up with some sweet gear. It's more of the school itself that is the issue. Not going to beat a dead horse but there is clearly an administrative problem, incomptetent ad, no play off appearances in 10 years etc.

#17 is a pretty solid player. Believe he is coming off an ACL? Glad to see them mixing up the line up, not much else you can do. Have not had a "guy" since Grieves.
Shoregouzer58

Post by Shoregouzer58 »

Tough to see the team lose back and forth games the last two contests, I’m sure they’ll piece it together soon. But within the context of this thread, I don’t know why posters on here are critical of the production from certain players in recent years. Temple, Dickinson, and maybe Garrison have all Contributed towards the wins we have gotten big time. Grieves played with a more balanced offense which made his job much easier. A lot of posters on here don’t know ball, and it shows. Not saying they don’t know the program. But there are good players that have come through the program and they need to be acknowledged even when we aren’t winning and alums are pissed. It is hard to win lacrosse games, and even harder to win against good teams. As laxgod said, let the boys play.
ChopMan23

Post by ChopMan23 »

Shoregouzer58 wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 1:42 pm Tough to see the team lose back and forth games the last two contests, I’m sure they’ll piece it together soon. But within the context of this thread, I don’t know why posters on here are critical of the production from certain players in recent years. Temple, Dickinson, and maybe Garrison have all Contributed towards the wins we have gotten big time. Grieves played with a more balanced offense which made his job much easier. A lot of posters on here don’t know ball, and it shows. Not saying they don’t know the program. But there are good players that have come through the program and they need to be acknowledged even when we aren’t winning and alums are pissed. It is hard to win lacrosse games, and even harder to win against good teams. As laxgod said, let the boys play.
What does "knowing ball" have anything to do with the state of the program? Because that is mostly what has been discussed. And I do not believe anyone has been critical / singling out players at all - everyone wants the players to succeed and be happy. That is how strong programs are built. You want these players to go back home, talk to potential recruits, sway them into coming to Ctown based off their experience etc.

Two talented teams coming to the shore this weekend. I love seeing new programs like this on the schedule. I think we have a good shot at taking down Ithaca, which would be huge as a very good and rested Skidmore team comes to town. Although we did not get the win, I thought the team looked improved against RMC. Cut out some sloppy turn overs and that is a different game. Hopefully Bond carries the success of last weekend into this one. 2nd season begins after this weekend.
ChopMan23

Post by ChopMan23 »

Big one tonight, if they split this weekend, this will be the win. Ithaca has our starting goalie from last year in net, so as long as we get possessions and put the ball on cage, we have a great shot at winning. Gonna predict 12-8 shore.

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”