Washington College 2024

D3 Mens Lacrosse
RE6ULATOR

Re: Washington College 2024

Post by RE6ULATOR »

Man. Reading all this stuff, I didn’t know there was so much drama both within the program, and with the administration. You guys all sound like you’re pretty deeply connected, to have such knowledge and opinions of the inner workings and disputes.

Shame it’s come to this.
MVPiccoli

Post by MVPiccoli »

RollShore82 wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 3:14 pm
Another issue that hasn't been discussed much is the retention of players from Freshman-Senior year. Every program is going to have their fair share of transfers and kids that quit, but since 2019 Wac has graduated 5, 7, 4 (with Temple staying for 5th year), and 13 seniors respectively. the higher number of seniors in 2019 and 2023 may have contributed to the more potential I mentioned before, but a run of 5,7, and 4 graduating seniors is troubling. This is a problem that needs to be addressed, especially as Wac has had to deal with the 5th and 6th years on other teams. Experience matters.
This is an under appreciated stat. I love that you called attention to it. DIII absolutely sees drop off rates at higher levels, but not typically at the better programs. It's a sign of culture, the institutions strong viability (academically, socially, athletically), recruiting practices identifying the right fit, and so much more.

Each time I engage with this thread I'm more impressed with the WAC alumni community.
choochooCharlie

Post by choochooCharlie »

MVPiccoli wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 10:13 am
Each time I engage with this thread I'm more impressed with the WAC alumni community.
Knowing someone from the NC years, I always had a positive feel for their alums. But these guys pissing about who is to blame for their mediocrity ain’t doing it for me. Referencing here-say about personal issues for specified individuals? Eluding to vendettas and even inner working sabotage due to alma-maters? Really? Is that where it’s at down the shore?

Where is ReturnoftheWAC? What’s his take on the in-fighting? This thread is a mess, and apparently the team has been one for some time too.
LaxPundit07

Post by LaxPundit07 »

choochooCharlie wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 11:08 am
Knowing someone from the NC years, I always had a positive feel for their alums. But these guys pissing about who is to blame for their mediocrity ain’t doing it for me. Referencing here-say about personal issues for specified individuals? Eluding to vendettas and even inner working sabotage due to alma-maters? Really? Is that where it’s at down the shore?

Where is ReturnoftheWAC? What’s his take on the in-fighting? This thread is a mess, and apparently the team has been one for some time too.
Unfortunately, none of these things are hearsay. They are real. And we are firsthand witnesses to them. We love our alma mater. And we love this program. But that doesn’t change the fact that this is what the program has been over the past 10 to 15 years. We are doing all we can to get it right. We want nothing more than to be talking about tournament trips, final fours, all Americans, etc. For decades, this was a program that transcended division, institutional size, etc. We had men on the national team, coaches at all the ranks, and a fantastic reputation. The alumni group is having a very difficult time wrapping their head around being an “also ran” program.
veryoldgoose

Post by veryoldgoose »

LaxPundit07 wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 11:43 am

Unfortunately, none of these things are hearsay. They are real. And we are firsthand witnesses to them. We love our alma mater. And we love this program. But that doesn’t change the fact that this is what the program has been over the past 10 to 15 years. We are doing all we can to get it right. We want nothing more than to be talking about tournament trips, final fours, all Americans, etc. For decades, this was a program that transcended division, institutional size, etc. We had men on the national team, coaches at all the ranks, and a fantastic reputation. The alumni group is having a very difficult time wrapping their head around being an “also ran” program.
Agree 100%. While LaxPundit and I may disagree about how to characterize certain things that took place 15 years ago, we both had direct experience with what went down then. Nothing more needs to be said on that point.

On everything else, LaxPundit is dead on here. This is one of the most storied lacrosse programs in history. For all the complaints about Shirk near the end of his tenure, he had a team in the final four 10 years ago this season. They went undefeated in the Centennial. 10 years is both a long time and a short time, particularly with the decades of extreme excellence before then. Also, if you think this discussion is unseemly, choochooCharlie hasn't spent time in any of the D1 threads, particularly the Hopkins threads. Now that is some nonsense.
LaxPundit07

Post by LaxPundit07 »

Rock on, Old Goose. Cheers to what he said.

And as for the Hopkins thread, you nailed it. Talk about making your head spin. DocBarrister, HopFan, etc have had some epic battles over there. I’ve seen presidential debates with more decorum 😂
BallHunt

Post by BallHunt »

Clearly, the "writing across the curriculum" requirement at WC has payed dividends given the lengthier than average and moderated tone of the above posts. No Sophie Kerr prize winners here but great information and reading.
poster formerly know as "wherestheslide"
choochooCharlie

veryoldgoose wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 2:00 pm
LaxPundit07 wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 11:43 am

Agree 100%. While LaxPundit and I may disagree about how to characterize certain things that took place 15 years ago, we both had direct experience with what went down then. Nothing more needs to be said on that point.

On everything else, LaxPundit is dead on here. This is one of the most storied lacrosse programs in history. For all the complaints about Shirk near the end of his tenure, he had a team in the final four 10 years ago this season. They went undefeated in the Centennial. 10 years is both a long time and a short time, particularly with the decades of extreme excellence before then. Also, if you think this discussion is unseemly, choochooCharlie hasn't spent time in any of the D1 threads, particularly the Hopkins threads. Now that is some nonsense.
Very true, I have yet to explore the DI sub-forum. I suppose some level of dispute and concern shows passion and signals that people actually still care. You can see that in only a few of the most active threads on here. A good thing to be counted among I guess.
DuelingBanjos

Post by DuelingBanjos »

Saturday’s result was, to say the least, concerning. Having talked to a couple people who attended the scrimmages the week before, I know there were issues but still thought those jitters could be worked out before the first game.

Boy, that didn’t look like the case

This team is very young and will have their on the fly growing pains this year, like most young teams do…..just how bad those pains are remains to be seen

Yes, Eastern is a very experienced group (and it showed)….but in reality, that’s one of the weaker games WAC has on the schedule this year, so the result is concerning for sure

Here’s to things looking better soon
Laxattackjack

Post by Laxattackjack »

DuelingBanjos wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 6:09 pm Saturday’s result was, to say the least, concerning. Having talked to a couple people who attended the scrimmages the week before, I know there were issues but still thought those jitters could be worked out before the first game.

Boy, that didn’t look like the case

This team is very young and will have their on the fly growing pains this year, like most young teams do…..just how bad those pains are remains to be seen

Yes, Eastern is a very experienced group (and it showed)….but in reality, that’s one of the weaker games WAC has on the schedule this year, so the result is concerning for sure

Here’s to things looking better soon
this is getting out of hand. eastern one of the weaker teams they have on the schedule? seriously?

Eastern will be a tough game for most teams this season.

teams on WAC schedule that will be inferior teams to Eastern…. etown, MW, Ithaca, Skidmore, McDaniel, Haverford, Ursinus.
teams on WAC schedule that are comparable to Eastern…..RMC, Muhlenberg, Swarthmore, F&M

every one of this games should be competitive for WAC
choochooCharlie

Laxattackjack wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 6:19 pm ...
teams on WAC schedule that are comparable to Eastern…..RMC, Muhlenberg, Swarthmore, F&M

Well they’re 0-1 of the 5.
veryoldgoose

Post by veryoldgoose »

choochooCharlie wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 10:06 am

And Swat just downed Eastern 16-12 and completely outplayed them in the second half. If Eastern was 50% better than WAC in game one and Swat is 20% better than Eastern in game two, does that mean WAC is 70% worse than Swat? I jest with the statistics, but I dont think Laxattackjack's post will hold up throughout the year.
Laxattackjack

Post by Laxattackjack »

veryoldgoose wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 7:33 pm

And Swat just downed Eastern 16-12 and completely outplayed them in the second half. If Eastern was 50% better than WAC in game one and Swat is 20% better than Eastern in game two, does that mean WAC is 70% worse than Swat? I jest with the statistics, but I dont think Laxattackjack's post will hold up throughout the year.
i watched the game and thought eastern outplayed Swarthmore on 6v6. eastern was ahead going into the 4th. they struggled with the 10 man ride in the second half and couldn’t win a faceoff. this amounted to limited possessions in the 4th. swarthmore is a top 20 team this week.
RussianTroll

Post by RussianTroll »

ChopMan23 wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 10:04 am
westernbestern wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 8:48 am
GoTerriers8 wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 12:01 am
kirbysmart14 wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 9:05 pm The Shoremen have Dickinson, Hale, Morgan, and Garrison returning. They will be more than okay.
Not sure who any of these guys are.
Garrison (45 pts)
Dickinson (24 pts)
Hale (20 pts)
Morgan (12 pts)
Hearing Brennan will also be back for a 5th year (30 pts)

WAC definitely losing some key pieces, don't get me wrong, but they have some guys still. Plus a huge freshman class. I can see this year going a lot of different ways for alot of reasons, only time will tell.
Agreed. I think the big question will be defense, although Jack Winters is returning as well. That will be good for the underclassmen to be able to play with him, he is a great player. I also heard the freshman goalie from Broadneck is very good. I think they will surprise some teams this spring.
Who many nets will break thy most on the team this year?! 🤪
DuelingBanjos

Post by DuelingBanjos »

Laxattackjack wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 9:03 pm

i watched the game and thought eastern outplayed Swarthmore on 6v6. eastern was ahead going into the 4th. they struggled with the 10 man ride in the second half and couldn’t win a faceoff. this amounted to limited possessions in the 4th. swarthmore is a top 20 team this week.
Swat led 12-11 going into the fourth quarter, and has been a top 20 team since the preseason polls came out.
ChopMan23

Post by ChopMan23 »

DuelingBanjos wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 9:58 am
Laxattackjack wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 9:03 pm

Swat led 12-11 going into the fourth quarter, and has been a top 20 team since the preseason polls came out.
Yup. And Swat definitely did not have their best game either. Real sloppy first half but thats Feb. lacrosse.
ChopMan23

Post by ChopMan23 »

Will be a big test this weekend down in Lexington and an indicator on how the rest of the season goes. W&L will not overlook the Shoremen as they come out of a tough loss @ York.
SixBySix

Post by SixBySix »

ChopMan23 wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 3:47 pm Will be a big test this weekend down in Lexington and an indicator on how the rest of the season goes. W&L will not overlook the Shoremen as they come out of a tough loss @ York.
Unfortunately, I can't see that one going well for the Shore men.
Jumbo

Post by Jumbo »

W&L is a top 15 team. Washington College probably isn’t even a top 30 team. a loss this weekend is expected. the goal should be to hope for some progress. seeing better ball movement. seeing better defense. anything can happen and Washington College could win. but i wouldn’t be too upset if they lose this weekend.

based on what has been said here, it looks like they are at least moving in the right direction.
choochooCharlie

Jumbo wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 5:16 pm W&L is a top 15 team. Washington College probably isn’t even a top 30 team. a loss this weekend is expected. the goal should be to hope for some progress. seeing better ball movement. seeing better defense. anything can happen and Washington College could win. but i wouldn’t be too upset if they lose this weekend.

based on what has been said here, it looks like they are at least moving in the right direction.
But but but, they’re in the CENTENNIAL?

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”