ISL Lacrosse

HS Boys Lacrosse
Laxxal22

Re: ISL Lacrosse

Post by Laxxal22 »

A quick look at this weekend's games. I'll probably try to write a summary of where everyone stands halfway at the halfway point of the season on Sunday or Monday.

Friday games

St. Seb's (9-0, 6-0 ISL) @ BB&N (1-6, 1-5 ISL): Game four in a brutal five game stretch for BB&N, while Seb's are rolling.

Brooks (6-1, 5-1 ISL) @ Pingree (10-1): A nice non-league test for Brooks. Based on comparative scores and what not Pingree look to be on par with the 4-6 teams in the ISL, so this should be a good one.

Rivers (8-2, 5-1 ISL) @ Middlesex (4-5, 3-3 ISL): Important game for Rivers as they'll pretty much need to win out to stay in contention. Middlesex are still a strong test and very capable of the upset despite being a bit up and down this season.

Saturday games

St. George's (2-7, 0-6 ISL) @ Brooks (6-1, 5-1 ISL): Consecutive game days is a tough task for Brooks, but St. George's aren't really competitive this year.

St. Mark's (3-4, 2-4 ISL) @ Belmont Hill (6-1, 5-1 ISL): Sucks to be St. Mark's playing Belmont Hill just after they've lost a rivalry game. Though they've kept some games close, and BH have let some teams hang around.

Roxbury Latin (4-4, 2-4 ISL) @ Govs (6-2, 5-1 ISL): RL probably doesn't have the horses to run with Govs, but if they can turn it into a defensive struggle...

Nobles (4-5, 4-2 ISL) @ Groton (5-3, 3-3 ISL): Two young teams. Groton have been pretty competitive with everyone, Nobles are starting to hit their stride.

Lawrence Academy (6-4, 2-4 ISL) @ Milton Academy (3-5, 2-4 ISL): They share the same record and both have faced a good portion of the league's iron. The Spartans look at touch better.

Tabor (3-5, 2-5 ISL) @ Thayer (2-5, 2-4 ISL): I feel like a broken record here, but again it's a match up of two young teams. Both have had some confidence building performances of late. I liked the Seawolves better at the start of the season, so I like them better here as well.

Friday Score Predictions
St. Seb's 17 - BB&N 6
Brooks 9 - Pingree 8
Rivers 10 - Middlesex 7

Saturday Score Predictions
Brooks 12 - St. George's 5
Belmont Hill 15 - St. Mark's 5
Govs 8 - Roxbury Latin 4
Nobles 11 - Groton 7
Lawrence 14 - Milton 12
Tabor 9 - Thayer 6
Laxxal22

Post by Laxxal22 »

Recapping the weekend predictions

Friday Score Predictions
St. Seb's 17 - BB&N 6 --- Final: Seb's 14 - BB&N 7. 10-1 at the half so it could've been much uglier.
Brooks 9 - Pingree 8 --- Final: Pingree 10 - Brooks 8. Solid year for Pingree keeps going.
Rivers 10 - Middlesex 7 --- Final: Rivers 7 - Middlesex 6. Unlike Wednesday, Rivers end up on the right end of a one-goal gmae.

Saturday Score Predictions
Brooks 12 - St. George's 5 --- Final: Brooks 14 - St. George's 4. Nice bounce back win for Brooks.
Belmont Hill 15 - St. Mark's 5 --- Final: BH 10 - SM 5. BH offense is not clicking like the past few years.
Govs 8 - Roxbury Latin 4 --- Final: Govs 8 - Roxbury Latin. I'll pat myself on the back for calling the exact final.
Nobles 11 - Groton 7 --- Final: Nobles 8 - Groton 7. Hard to call Groton "gritty" if you've been the campus, but they've competed hard this season.
Lawrence 14 - Milton 12 --- Final: Milton 18 - Lawrence 6. Most surprising outcome of the day by a mile. No prior evidence indicated this.
Tabor 9 - Thayer 6 --- Final: Tabor 13 - Thayer 11. Two nice wins in a row by Tabor. Thayer's sixth game that has been decided by 1-2 goals.
Can Opener

Post by Can Opener »

Well played. Laxxal! Always enjoy your commentary. Please keep it up despite the quiet nature of this thread!
Laxxal22

Post by Laxxal22 »

Focused on St. Seb's, but here is a pretty cool (and long) highlight video of St. Seb's v. Belmont Hill last week. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rcnwlcy ... dex=2&t=0s
Highwall

Post by Highwall »

I also appreciate the insight and it helps me follow along with the league. I was able to catch that Sebs vs. BH game and it was a battle of two really strong high school programs. Sebs seemed to have more depth than I expected - they got contributions all over the field from younger players, not just the highly touted seniors.

BH had a tough time at the face off x and ended up falling behind as a result. They fought hard until the end and (although that highlight video doesn't show it) the game never felt out of reach. It was a great high school lacrosse game.
Laxcoach55

Post by Laxcoach55 »

Pingree 8. BBN 6 midway through the 3q
SidelineHorn

Post by SidelineHorn »

Pingree 14 BB&N 6 Final
Laxxal22

Post by Laxxal22 »

General thoughts as we've hit the halfway point of league play. Overall the league seems young this year. Only 6 of the league's top 20 in points per game are seniors, and Seb's, Govs, Brooks, and Rivers are really the only senior laden teams.

The Contenders

St. Seb's (10-0, 7-0 ISL): Their blue chips have played like blue chips, and strong role players and greater depth than expected have emergred. Beating Belmont Hill in a game where Swirbalus was held pointless shows others are capable of stepping up. Frisoli was the favorite to get ISL POY going into the season, but Peter Blake is having an AA caliber seasons on defense as well, while Piatelli and Swirbalus are both in the league top 10 in points per game. The freshman fogo Rideout is a great addition. The Arrows have a great shot at a title, even a solo title, if they stay healthy and play to their potential. They should be favored the rest of the way, but there are no layups left on the schedule and no room for complacency.

Belmont Hill (7-1, 6-1 ISL): Impressive early wins over Avon and Govs showings, but other times they've been off. With how Jake Haase has ripped up the NESCAC this spring, he may have been the lynchpin of the potent BH offense of the past three years. While the offense hasn't quite hit the usual standard, the defense is allowing 5.6 goals per league game. Brookes has neutralized some of the ISL's best and Quinn holds the league's top Save %. A split with Govs and Seb's is solid, and they definitely could end up 14-1 in the ISL, but they'll be scoreboard watching the rest of the way.

Govs (7-2, 6-1 ISL): Don't know the specifics or how long they'll be out, but Bradley, Roberts, and Laliberte haven't played for awhile. Playing without a NESCAC bound senior, a two-time captain/D1 defender, and the top 2020 fogo in the nation is especially tough in the non playoff ISL. O'Leary is having a beastly season in the midfield, Weldon has emerged at attack, and Wood and Moriarty are as advertised. They still have the talent to knock off Seb's in two weeks and should stay in the mix for the title. Their chances will be a lot better if they can get those guys back.

Rivers (9-2, 6-1 ISL): The Red Wings gotta be kicking themselves after giving up a late lead to Govs. This is a deep and very balanced team with six players at 10+ goals (halfway through the season) and strong longsticks, but I'm not sure they have guys who can take over a game like the three teams listed above. With a league loss before facing BH, Seb's, or Nobles they'll have to be on point the rest of the way to finish 14-1/13-2 and have a shot at a title.

Brooks (7-2, 6-1 ISL): Not quite sure they're on the level as the other four, but I do want to call out what an impressive season they've had to date. Usually a low scoring team, Murphy has been a big addition at attack. Hughes is having another great two-way season at LSM with six goals already. It doesn't get any easier for the Bishops. Their final four games of the season will be Middlesex, Seb's, Govs, and Belmont Hill. They'll need to run the table going into that stretch to secure a top 4-5 place finish.

Building Towards Next Year

Nobles (4-5, 4-2 ISL): The Bulldogs have fought hard despite only having 3 seniors making significant contributions. Bernstein has emerged in the midfield, while Jacobs and Palumbo are having great years at attack for a sophomore and freshman.

Middlesex (4-6, 3-4 ISL): As predicted, kind of an up and down season after losing a big class in 2018. Juniors Nye and Tasker lead the midfield scoring punch. Allieri's save percentage isn't that high, but still considered one of the better keepers in his class.

Groton (5-3, 3-3 ISL): This team really competes and has a real strong sophomore class with Thorndike, Doherty, and Denin leading the charge. Have a tough stretch with Nobles, Brooks, and Middlesex in the next three, and Belmont Hill and Rivers later in May, but they could finish .500 in league play - a good steppping stone for a young team.

Roxbury Latin (4-5, 2-5 ISL): With some very strong defensive players, they are yet to give up double digits this season... but they really struggle to score. It's not hard to see why with 11 sophs, 8 freshmen, and an 8th grader on the roster.

St. Mark's (3-5, 2-5 ISL): Very up and down season. It looks like their top defender, Hall, has missed some games. But with only four players and one goal coming from the senior class so far, this team will be stronger next season.

Milton Academy (4-5, 3-4 ISL): Milton is all over the map. They can score with anybody, but the defense is apparently quite young. A water treading year for Milton, but at the same time there's no major signs from the underclassmen that they'll be much stronger in a year.

Tabor (4-5, 2-5 ISL): I said in the preseason that I thought the Seawolves were a year away. Still feel that way. They'll return a bulk of their playmakers next season.

Thayer (2-6, 2-5 ISL): Cupboard was pretty bare for Coach Rubeor's first season, but they've fought hard and had a lot of 1-2 goal games. They'll return a lot next year, and it will be interesting to see if having Rubeor starts to attract lacrosse players.

Lawrence Academy (6-5, 2-5 ISL): The Spartans have feasted in non league games, and while they've been competitive in ISL play the wins have still been sparse. With a lot of their scoring coming from younger guys, maybe the close losses become wins in a year.

BB&N (1-8, 1-6 ISL): Despite the losses his team has played hard, perhaps a tougher version of the BB&N teams of the past. But it seems like the second half of games is often not kind - the sign of a young and experienced team.

St. George's (2-8, 0-7 ISL): Dragons look to be in the back of the pack by a good distance. Closest ISL game so far was a six-goal loss. A lot of long bus rides back to Newport.
MA Lax Fan

Post by MA Lax Fan »

Is Swirbalus doing a PG year at Deerfield next year.
Laxxal22

Post by Laxxal22 »

MA Lax Fan wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 12:51 pm Is Swirbalus doing a PG year at Deerfield next year.
Is that you Sourshoes?
MA Lax Fan

Post by MA Lax Fan »

Not sure what “Sourshoes” refers to?

I heard about Swirbalus this weekend from a Milton parent. I’ve also heard that Deerfield is picking up a stud junior from Hingham.
Laxxal22

Post by Laxxal22 »

Sourshoes was a Laxpower poster who had some serious issues with re-classed players in the ISL, especially #4 on the Arrows. I thought you were being facetious, as he signed an NLI to Duke and I'm not sure even West 1 is cool with a student showing up at 20 years old on 9/1. I mean, at a certain point you're closer in age to some of your teachers than classmates.
laxdog4

Post by laxdog4 »

Get your facts straight. There are two Swirbalus boys. The #4 Arrows boy is going to Duke in the fall; his brother at Milton is not going to Deerfield for a PG year.
Laxxal22

Post by Laxxal22 »

So there will not be a Swirbalus brother at Deerfield next year. With that covered, let's look at today's games real quick.

St. Seb's @ Middlesex: The Zebras almost pulled the upset in this one last year, leading for almost the entire game if I remember correctly. This year the Arrows should have the depth to run them into the ground.

Lawrence @ Belmont Hill: Still waiting for the BH offense to really click, and this could be a high scoring affair.

Govs @ St. Mark's: St Mark's have kept it close against some of the stronger teams. They'll need a strong performance to do so again.

Tabor @ Rivers: Expect this to be competitive but for the Red Wings to be a handful of goals better over the course of four quarters.

Groton @ Brooks: Think this could be game of the day. Both have played tight games across the league landscape, and expect this result to be as well.

Nobles @ St. George's: Bulldogs should be able to go to the bench early in this one.

Milton @ Roxbury Latin: Milton scores a lot and RL doesn't give up many. Something's got to give.

Thayer @ BB&N: Two scrappy teams who've played difficult schedules thus far.

Wednesday predictions

Seb's 11 - Middlesex 6
Belmont Hill 15 - Lawrence 6
Govs 12 - St. Mark's 5
Rivers 12 - Tabor 7
Brooks 8 - Groton 7
Nobles 16 - St. George's 5
RL 9 - Milton 8 (OT)
BB&N 8 - Thayer 7
Laxcoach55

Post by Laxcoach55 »

BostonLax just released their Public/Private combined top 40.

Rank Team Record
1 St. Sebastian's 10-0
2 Belmont Hill 7-1
3 Lincoln-Sudbury 7-3
4 Duxbury 7-3
5 Medfield 8-1
6 Hingham 8-2
7 Governor's 7-2
8 Rivers 8-2
9 Pingree 11-1
10 Acton-Boxboro 8-0
11 Xaverian 8-2
12 Brooks 7-2
13 St. John's Shrewsbury 9-0
14 St. John's Prep 9-3
15 Concord-Carlisle 8-1
16 Cohasset 7-3
17 Needham 8-2
18 Franklin 7-1
19 Winchester 9-1
20 Reading 7-2
21 BC High 5-5
22 Noble & Greenough 4-5
23 Tabor 4-5
24 Longmeadow 5-2
25 Algonquin 6-1
26 Groton School 5-3
27 Roxbury Latin 4-5
28 Dover-Sherborn 8-2
29 Melrose 5-3
30 Foxboro 7-1
31 Middlesex 4-6
32 Natick 8-1
33 Newton North 5-2
34 Wellesely 5-3
35 Wayland 6-2
36 Central Catholic 6-2
37 Westford Academy 7-4
38 Hopkinton 4-3
39 Chelmsford 6-3
40 Marshfield 8-1
Laxxal22

Post by Laxxal22 »

All-Ivy team out today. Two ISL guys made it.

First Team - Reed Junkin Sr. Goalie (Penn/Belmont Hill)
Honorable Mention - John Piatelli So. Attack (Cornell, St. Seb's)
Laxxal22

Post by Laxxal22 »

Laxxal22

Post by Laxxal22 »

Today's results. Pretty awful set of predictions by me as a few mid-level teams pushed some strong teams to the brink. The gap between the top 4-5 teams and the rest of the league seems smaller than it's been in the past few years.

Prediction: Seb's 11 - Middlesex 6 ----- Final: Seb's 10 - Middlesex 9. Second year in a row that Middlesex have given Seb's all they can handle. Arrows are clearly vulnerable to a strong performance by a strong team.

Prediction: Belmont Hill 15 - Lawrence 6 ----- Final: Belmont Hill 11 - Lawrence 4. Not exactly close, but LA's D did better than I expected.

Prediction: Govs 12 - St. Mark's 5 ----- Final: Govs 8 - St. Mark's 7. I'd echo the same sentiments for Govs that I did for Seb's.

Prediction: Rivers 12 - Tabor 7 ----- Final: Rivers 11 - Tabor 10. Another top team barely eeks one out

Prediction: Brooks 8 - Groton 7 ----- Final: Brooks 11 - Groton 9: No info on this, but about as expected

Prediction: Nobles 16 - St. George's 5 ----- Final: Nobles 12 - St. George's 4. SG kept this closer than I figured in the first half, but Dawgs had too much in the second.

Prediction: RL 9 - Milton 8 (OT) ----- Final: RL 8 - Milton 5. High flying Milton offense grounded by RL D.

Prediction: BB&N 8 - Thayer 7 ----- Final: Thayer 14 - BB&N 9. Just straight up wrong on this one. Thayer offense has been strong the past three games.
Laxxal22

Post by Laxxal22 »

Jake Haase - Fr. Midfield (Williams/Belmont Hill) took home NESCAC ROY

C.J. Layton - Sr. Goalie (Colby/Belmont Hill) made first team

Henry Savage - So. Defense (Bowdoin/St. George's) made second team

Kyle Helfrisch - So. Fogo (Tufts/Brooks) made second team
Laxxal22

Post by Laxxal22 »

Handful of games today.

Rivers (8-2, 7-1 ISL) @ St. Seb's (11-0, 8-0 ISL): One of the big ones to decide the eventual top of the standings. Seb's are more explosive and have more "wow" talent. Rivers don't have any players averaging more than 3 points per game, but they do have eight players averaging at least 1.25 points per game. That's a good thing for them, as the Arrows defense can gobble up a team with 2-3 guys playing hero ball. A patient and balanced approach has a better shot. Rivers spoiled an undefeated ISL run for Seb's in 2017, can they pull it off again?

Lawrence Academy (7-6, 2-6 ISL) @ Thayer (3-6, 3-5 ISL): Thayer are gaining steam after a difficult early season schedule, while Lawrence have lost steam in ISL play after excelling through a soft early season schedule. Expect this to be fairly high scoring.

Berwick (2-6) @ Brooks (8-1, 7-1 ISL): Berwick has a not great record against not great competition, so I'm guessing Brooks coaches figure the bench can get a good amount of run. Always think it's risk playing non-league games the day before a big league game (Roxbury Latin), especially in a year that you're in contention.

Tabor (4-6, 2-6 ISL) @ Pomfret (9-2): Pomfret have a strong record and weak schedule. Lost to St. Mark's by five, and only interesting win is over an Exeter team that appears way down from last season. Tabor should get the win, but again how much might it affect tomorrow's performance against BB&N?

Friday Predictions
St. Seb's 10 - Rivers 9
Thayer 13 - Lawrence 9
Brooks 15 - Berwick 7
Tabor 10 - Pomfret 8

Return to “HS BOYS LACROSSE”