Florida State

D1 Womens Lacrosse
Relax77

Re: Florida State

Post by Relax77 »

CrossSTX wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 9:43 am Curious how money promised changed? Was this during 2025 recruiting cycle or when NLIs were given during 2024s?
Were offers rescinded after girls accepted them? Due to deadlines?
What kind of promises were made by asst coach? Promises of offers?
Yes to Just about everything you asked minus the deadlines.
Lacrossroads

Post by Lacrossroads »

Never posted before, but figured I’d jump in since I know a bit about this discussion. The McCords are really good sales people. So much of it is smoke and mirrors at the USF program. They certainly have their loyal disciples, but 23’s were left disillusioned. Since this is the FSU thread, I’ll just say that I know girls are eagerly awaiting that program to start, so they can attempt to jump ship.
VAMomGlax2019

Post by VAMomGlax2019 »

Lacrossroads wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 10:39 am Never posted before, but figured I’d jump in since I know a bit about this discussion. The McCords are really good sales people. So much of it is smoke and mirrors at the USF program. They certainly have their loyal disciples, but 23’s were left disillusioned. Since this is the FSU thread, I’ll just say that I know girls are eagerly awaiting that program to start, so they can attempt to jump ship.
Given FSUs coach will have such a late start to building the roster it would make a lot of sense for this coach to connect with the current USF players.

These players will have had the opportunity to adjust to being a D1 athlete (balancing the demands of their time on the field, in the weight room, and in class), practicing with other college athletes, playing a full Fall Season against college teams, etc. These players presumably also want to attend a warm-weather school.

Seems like a good fit for both sides based on this thread.
watcherinthewoods

Post by watcherinthewoods »

LaxDadMax wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 5:12 pm
WLaxdad wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 4:17 pm What is a school like FSU's incentive to provide a well funded non-revenue sport? This is a serious question, maybe there's more to it than I understand but a large school like FSU with tons of football $. I don't know why they would spend much time or money on it.

If I were the AD I would want to keep cost low and the main goal would be a clean program without any scandals, lawsuits etc.. Of course I'd want the team to have fun and have a good experience but also no need to spend too much of that football money.
even football is underfunded (for BCS standards). Other than soccer and baseball, non-revenue sports are not treated well at FSU. Facilities are tied with Wake for bottom of ACC.
I know nothing about FSU's facilities, but Wake has invested significantly over the last decade in athletic facilities. Baseball, golf, soccer, tennis, field hockey, basketball, and football. The stated philosophy has been 'if we build it, they will come'. The school consistently punches above its weight and has won 2 national championships in the last few years (women golf, men tennis) and several ACC titles (baseball, men soccer, men golf, women golf). I don't think it is true that the Deacons are "tied for last" with FSU in the facilities department or their relative investment in athletics.

All of that said, in an era where size matters, Wake is one the schools in deep trouble.
cltlax

Post by cltlax »

watcherinthewoods wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 1:18 pm
LaxDadMax wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 5:12 pm
WLaxdad wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 4:17 pm What is a school like FSU's incentive to provide a well funded non-revenue sport? This is a serious question, maybe there's more to it than I understand but a large school like FSU with tons of football $. I don't know why they would spend much time or money on it.

If I were the AD I would want to keep cost low and the main goal would be a clean program without any scandals, lawsuits etc.. Of course I'd want the team to have fun and have a good experience but also no need to spend too much of that football money.
even football is underfunded (for BCS standards). Other than soccer and baseball, non-revenue sports are not treated well at FSU. Facilities are tied with Wake for bottom of ACC.
I know nothing about FSU's facilities, but Wake has invested significantly over the last decade in athletic facilities. Baseball, golf, soccer, tennis, field hockey, basketball, and football. The stated philosophy has been 'if we build it, they will come'. The school consistently punches above its weight and has won 2 national championships in the last few years (women golf, men tennis) and several ACC titles (baseball, men soccer, men golf, women golf). I don't think it is true that the Deacons are "tied for last" with FSU in the facilities department or their relative investment in athletics.

All of that said, in an era where size matters, Wake is one the schools in deep trouble.
My thoughts exactly. I wonder when the poster last visited Winston-Salem (if ever)?
intheknow247

Post by intheknow247 »

watcherinthewoods wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 3:58 pm
intheknow247 wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 2:15 pm Let's be clear...Universities and Athletic Departments have choices when it comes to supporting their teams, especially new teams. Some have done it well in our sport recently (Michigan, Florida, USF...). Some have done it half ass (ASU, Cincinnati, Colorado...). Florida State is going to find themselves into the latter because they just don't care and the program will be reflective.
Assume your criteria here is funding. Why do you group the soon to be former PAC-12 schools in the half ass group?
Not just funding but everything else it takes to succeed. Look at the slow roll of facilities, planning, administrative support for those schools. A little digging will see how they are "half-ass"ing it.
VAMomGlax2019

Post by VAMomGlax2019 »

intheknow247 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 2:48 pm
intheknow247 wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 2:15 pm Let's be clear...Universities and Athletic Departments have choices when it comes to supporting their teams, especially new teams. Some have done it well in our sport recently (Michigan, Florida, USF...). Some have done it half ass (ASU, Cincinnati, Colorado...). Florida State is going to find themselves into the latter because they just don't care and the program will be reflective.
Assume your criteria here is funding. Why do you group the soon to be former PAC-12 schools in the half ass group?
Not just funding but everything else it takes to succeed. Look at the slow roll of facilities, planning, administrative support for those schools. A little digging will see how they are "half-ass"ing it.
Heard a while back part of the reason TM left ASU was the schools lack of commitment to the wlax program. Not suggesting this was the only reason.
watcherinthewoods

Hmmm interesting and I agree it take more than funding to support a program. My daughter was in and out in Boulder, but we saw no evidence of what you are describing in connection to that program.
LaxNJ71

Post by LaxNJ71 »

watcherinthewoods wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 5:22 pm
Hmmm interesting and I agree it take more than funding to support a program. My daughter was in and out in Boulder, but we saw no evidence of what you are describing in connection to that program.
Have you been to the turf where they play games? The bleachers are worse than high school bleachers and they have a port-a-potty. I don’t know anything else about their funding but that field is something.
watcherinthewoods

LaxNJ71 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 7:40 pm
Have you been to the turf where they play games? The bleachers are worse than high school bleachers and they have a port-a-potty. I don’t know anything else about their funding but that field is something.
Yes, I attended many games there in 2021 and can't argue with that assessment. But I think you are supposed to be looking up at the Flatirons and the new jumbotron ; ) !
intheknow247

Post by intheknow247 »

LaxNJ71 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 7:40 pm
Locker room in tents for games in Boulder, locker rooms with no bathrooms in Tempe. Both schools went through big growing pains in the early years - even USC hasn't had the facilities that a new program in a P5 school would wish for to start out.
intheknow247

Post by intheknow247 »

VAMomGlax2019 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 3:20 pm
Heard a while back part of the reason TM left ASU was the schools lack of commitment to the wlax program. Not suggesting this was the only reason.
No doubt! TM saw a good chance to move on since there was a ceiling to ASU (especially good timing when all the 5th years/COVID kids were getting ready to graduate and he hadn't recruited any new blood to replace the cupboard)
laxfan9999

Post by laxfan9999 »

Relax77 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 9:30 am
MolonLaxe wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:54 am
Relax77 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:28 am
VAMomGlax2019 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:19 am
Relax77 wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 10:36 pm
RollTheCrease wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 8:32 pm
Relax77 wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 8:08 pm
RollTheCrease wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 5:41 pm That would be unfortunate for an ACC school to not invest in the success of their women’s lacrosse program given the conference is home to many of the best teams.

Contrast this with FSUs Florida neighbor, USF, who is all in on women’s lacrosse. If you haven’t seen the posts about their new football/lacrosse facilities I recommend checking those out. USFs challenge may be it’s more of a commuter school and does not have the traditional university feel. May not appeal to many athletes. You’ve got access to beaches and downtown Tampa, but the area around the school is not great.
Word on the street and inside is that USF already has some team issues and a lot of challenges going forward. They certainly were crazy this recruiting year. Interesting to see what happens there. Instagram posts look great though.
Can you expand on what you are hearing Relax77?
Let me say we were there and didn’t see anything that has been complained about below. We passed on their offer because my daughter didn’t love the campus or the school other than the lax. She did love the staff but was nervous there would be 50 kids rostered by the time she got here.
So real quick and vague

One of the assistants is not liked. At all
Teammates fighting already.
One kid’s parent labeled a pariah
Sept recruiting was a mess
Offers were given and then pulled.
2025 parent and kid seem to be a problem.
Promises broken already regarding $
Club coaches have said Bedford was responsible for the success of the uptempo offense at Jacksonville, so it will be interesting to see if USF wants to and can replicate this style of play.
I wonder if that was their belief before this recruiting class. A couple of top clubs right now are infuriated with how USF did business in September. However I wouldn’t be shocked. Mike seemed like an absolute gentleman and liked what he had to say.
Mike is 100% the reason their offense took off. There are a few articles on his offense and what he is trying to achieve. He was a great volunteer assistant at Michigan before he moved down to Jacksonville. My daughter liked him a lot, great guy and he’s solid.

As for thr McCords, let’s just talk about the elephant in the room—the assistant most people don’t like us Mindy’s husband. He got into it with a former college player online (Twitter) and the guy is, well, a bit of an ass. I decided I wouldn’t let my kid go to Jax so we dropped that one. Loved Mike Bedford, but not the husband.

It should be interesting to see it all shake out, but let’s not forget McCord already had many successful years winning the conference at Jax before Bedford arrived.
Yes. Mindy is loved as is Britt. Amazingly Paul has been described as everything from a creeper to a holy roller, a bully, and as you said, an ass. 😁. But the issue with the recruiting wasn’t Paul. Britt promised a lot of kids a lot of things.
USF goes and picks up Alison Harbaugh from Notre Dame. Not exactly a game changer with 1 assist in 8 games last year and 3 turnovers. Seems like a weird pickup of a senior with limited game experience. I know there is her dad. McCord sells it as getting someone who played against the top teams in the ACC but I am guessing none of the 16 games she played in were ACC games. This will take away a 2024s chance to develop for one year of her.
Relax77

Post by Relax77 »

USF goes and picks up Alison Harbaugh from Notre Dame. Not exactly a game changer with 1 assist in 8 games last year and 3 turnovers. Seems like a weird pickup of a senior with limited game experience. I know there is her dad. McCord sells it as getting someone who played against the top teams in the ACC but I am guessing none of the 16 games she played in were ACC games. This will take away a 2024s chance to develop for one year of her.

Come on dude. You know why she is there.
spidey44

Post by spidey44 »

Relax77 wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 9:30 pm USF goes and picks up Alison Harbaugh from Notre Dame. Not exactly a game changer with 1 assist in 8 games last year and 3 turnovers. Seems like a weird pickup of a senior with limited game experience. I know there is her dad. McCord sells it as getting someone who played against the top teams in the ACC but I am guessing none of the 16 games she played in were ACC games. This will take away a 2024s chance to develop for one year of her.

If nothing else, people are talking about USF. Can't say the same for future conference rival UNCC. I'll sit back with the popcorn to see how it all unfolds.
Relax77

Post by Relax77 »

spidey44 wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 6:59 am
Relax77 wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 9:30 pm USF goes and picks up Alison Harbaugh from Notre Dame. Not exactly a game changer with 1 assist in 8 games last year and 3 turnovers. Seems like a weird pickup of a senior with limited game experience. I know there is her dad. McCord sells it as getting someone who played against the top teams in the ACC but I am guessing none of the 16 games she played in were ACC games. This will take away a 2024s chance to develop for one year of her.

If nothing else, people are talking about USF. Can't say the same for future conference rival UNCC. I'll sit back with the popcorn to see how it all unfolds.
I guess all publicity is good but The talk is not positive at all. It’s 90%-10% negative. I agree. Have to see how it unfolds.
Deacon022

Post by Deacon022 »

In our experience, all the negative feedback is warranted. Shady doesn’t describe the vibe enough. I feel terrible for some of those 2023 kids.
LaxDadMax

Post by LaxDadMax »

Deacon022 wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 4:22 pm

In our experience, all the negative feedback is warranted. Shady doesn’t describe the vibe enough. I feel terrible for some of those 2023 kids.
Our 25 had one phone call with Paul and Mindy. 25 described him as a "creeper" and pretty much ended the relationship there. Heard similar feedback from another family on our club team.

Not sure why she even lets him recruit.
Deacon022

Post by Deacon022 »

LaxDadMax wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 5:42 pm
Deacon022 wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 4:22 pm

Our 25 had one phone call with Paul and Mindy. 25 described him as a "creeper" and pretty much ended the relationship there. Heard similar feedback from another family on our club team.

Not sure why she even lets him recruit.
My daughter was lucky enough to not get him.
LaxPundit07

Post by LaxPundit07 »

Full scholarship, NIL money, and guarantee of a high paying job upon graduation...and I still wouldn't let my daughter within 100 yards of Paul McCord.

Good luck to USF, they will need it.

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”