Florida State

D1 Womens Lacrosse
spidey44

Re: Florida State

Post by spidey44 »

RollTheCrease wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 8:03 am
Agree with PP, the longer it takes to get a coach in place the less likely FSU will recruit 2025s. I would not be surprised to hear FSU say they are pushing their start date to the 2026/27 season. To hit their original start date may require a very large 2026 class (15+} and an equal size transfer class.
I was surprised they were pushing for a Spring 2026 start, but from what I heard, they HAVE to based on their Title IX numbers. I have no clue if that's true or not, but since they seem to have blatantly doctored their numbers, maybe it is.
LaxDadMax

Post by LaxDadMax »

spidey44 wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 6:26 am
Lax832s wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 8:13 pm Will FSU have any 2025 commits
Eventually. Need the coach in place first. The longer it takes, I feel like the less talent they'll be able to bring in/flip. And can't see a huge name taking the job at this point. They are definitely taking a different route than Clemson. As someone else mentioned, I just don't think it's a priority for the administration at FSU.
If you look at other non-rev sports for FSU, they just don't pay coaches what other ACC teams do. They targeted Delaware coach; my guess is whoever they get will be a current mid-major coach or a first-team head coach.
intheknow247

Post by intheknow247 »

Let's be clear...Universities and Athletic Departments have choices when it comes to supporting their teams, especially new teams. Some have done it well in our sport recently (Michigan, Florida, USF...). Some have done it half ass (ASU, Cincinnati, Colorado...). Florida State is going to find themselves into the latter because they just don't care and the program will be reflective.
cltlax

Post by cltlax »

intheknow247 wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 2:15 pm Florida State is going to find themselves into the latter because they just don't care and the program will be reflective.
This is what happens when a school is forced to start a program (because of Title IX violations). Not doing it for the right reasons means there won't be full buy-in.
Relax77

Post by Relax77 »

intheknow247 wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 2:15 pm Let's be clear...Universities and Athletic Departments have choices when it comes to supporting their teams, especially new teams. Some have done it well in our sport recently (Michigan, Florida, USF...). Some have done it half ass (ASU, Cincinnati, Colorado...). Florida State is going to find themselves into the latter because they just don't care and the program will be reflective.
Be interesting to see. Still can’t believe they don’t have a coach yet.
watcherinthewoods

Post by watcherinthewoods »

intheknow247 wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 2:15 pm Let's be clear...Universities and Athletic Departments have choices when it comes to supporting their teams, especially new teams. Some have done it well in our sport recently (Michigan, Florida, USF...). Some have done it half ass (ASU, Cincinnati, Colorado...). Florida State is going to find themselves into the latter because they just don't care and the program will be reflective.
Assume your criteria here is funding. Why do you group the soon to be former PAC-12 schools in the half ass group?
WLaxdad

Post by WLaxdad »

What is a school like FSU's incentive to provide a well funded non-revenue sport? This is a serious question, maybe there's more to it than I understand but a large school like FSU with tons of football $. I don't know why they would spend much time or money on it.

If I were the AD I would want to keep cost low and the main goal would be a clean program without any scandals, lawsuits etc.. Of course I'd want the team to have fun and have a good experience but also no need to spend too much of that football money.
LaxDadMax

Post by LaxDadMax »

WLaxdad wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 4:17 pm What is a school like FSU's incentive to provide a well funded non-revenue sport? This is a serious question, maybe there's more to it than I understand but a large school like FSU with tons of football $. I don't know why they would spend much time or money on it.

If I were the AD I would want to keep cost low and the main goal would be a clean program without any scandals, lawsuits etc.. Of course I'd want the team to have fun and have a good experience but also no need to spend too much of that football money.
even football is underfunded (for BCS standards). Other than soccer and baseball, non-revenue sports are not treated well at FSU. Facilities are tied with Wake for bottom of ACC.
RollTheCrease

Post by RollTheCrease »

That would be unfortunate for an ACC school to not invest in the success of their women’s lacrosse program given the conference is home to many of the best teams.

Contrast this with FSUs Florida neighbor, USF, who is all in on women’s lacrosse. If you haven’t seen the posts about their new football/lacrosse facilities I recommend checking those out. USFs challenge may be it’s more of a commuter school and does not have the traditional university feel. May not appeal to many athletes. You’ve got access to beaches and downtown Tampa, but the area around the school is not great.
Relax77

Post by Relax77 »

RollTheCrease wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 5:41 pm That would be unfortunate for an ACC school to not invest in the success of their women’s lacrosse program given the conference is home to many of the best teams.

Contrast this with FSUs Florida neighbor, USF, who is all in on women’s lacrosse. If you haven’t seen the posts about their new football/lacrosse facilities I recommend checking those out. USFs challenge may be it’s more of a commuter school and does not have the traditional university feel. May not appeal to many athletes. You’ve got access to beaches and downtown Tampa, but the area around the school is not great.
Word on the street and inside is that USF already has some team issues and a lot of challenges going forward. They certainly were crazy this recruiting year. Interesting to see what happens there. Instagram posts look great though.
RollTheCrease

Post by RollTheCrease »

Relax77 wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 8:08 pm
RollTheCrease wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 5:41 pm That would be unfortunate for an ACC school to not invest in the success of their women’s lacrosse program given the conference is home to many of the best teams.

Word on the street and inside is that USF already has some team issues and a lot of challenges going forward. They certainly were crazy this recruiting year. Interesting to see what happens there. Instagram posts look great though.
Can you expand on what you are hearing Relax77?
Relax77

Post by Relax77 »

RollTheCrease wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 8:32 pm

Let me say we were there and didn’t see anything that has been complained about below. We passed on their offer because my daughter didn’t love the campus or the school other than the lax. She did love the staff but was nervous there would be 50 kids rostered by the time she got here.
So real quick and vague

One of the assistants is not liked. At all
Teammates fighting already.
One kid’s parent labeled a pariah
Sept recruiting was a mess
Offers were given and then pulled.
2025 parent and kid seem to be a problem.
Promises broken already regarding $
Kleizaster

Post by Kleizaster »

Relax77 wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 10:36 pm

Let me say we were there and didn’t see anything that has been complained about below. We passed on their offer because my daughter didn’t love the campus or the school other than the lax. She did love the staff but was nervous there would be 50 kids rostered by the time she got here.
So real quick and vague

Yikes..i was high on that program. This might get corrected eventually but starting a new program with deep rooted issues like that will set them back significantly.

They seem totally opposite to Clemson where everything was well planned and thought out and having already created a family atmosphere
spidey44

Post by spidey44 »

I'll hold out my opinion after USF has been around for a couple years. Seems to me they are going after it and want to compete quickly. Issues (besides pulling $$$ and universally not liking a coach) seem to be somewhat expected on a team of any decent size. The McCords did well at a small school so I'd think with more resources and what appears to be great admin support, they'll be successful at USF. Obviously won't know for a couple years, but I'll give them the benefit of the doubt - for now. Compare them with UNCC, who will be in the same conference. Spring 25 will be interesting for sure.
VAMomGlax2019

Post by VAMomGlax2019 »

So real quick and vague

Club coaches have said Bedford was responsible for the success of the uptempo offense at Jacksonville, so it will be interesting to see if USF wants to and can replicate this style of play.
Relax77

Post by Relax77 »

VAMomGlax2019 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:19 am

So real quick and vague

Club coaches have said Bedford was responsible for the success of the uptempo offense at Jacksonville, so it will be interesting to see if USF wants to and can replicate this style of play.
I wonder if that was their belief before this recruiting class. A couple of top clubs right now are infuriated with how USF did business in September. However I wouldn’t be shocked. Mike seemed like an absolute gentleman and liked what he had to say.
MolonLaxe

Post by MolonLaxe »

Relax77 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:28 am

So real quick and vague

I wonder if that was their belief before this recruiting class. A couple of top clubs right now are infuriated with how USF did business in September. However I wouldn’t be shocked. Mike seemed like an absolute gentleman and liked what he had to say.
Mike is 100% the reason their offense took off. There are a few articles on his offense and what he is trying to achieve. He was a great volunteer assistant at Michigan before he moved down to Jacksonville. My daughter liked him a lot, great guy and he’s solid.

As for thr McCords, let’s just talk about the elephant in the room—the assistant most people don’t like us Mindy’s husband. He got into it with a former college player online (Twitter) and the guy is, well, a bit of an ass. I decided I wouldn’t let my kid go to Jax so we dropped that one. Loved Mike Bedford, but not the husband.

It should be interesting to see it all shake out, but let’s not forget McCord already had many successful years winning the conference at Jax before Bedford arrived.
Relax77

Post by Relax77 »

MolonLaxe wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:54 am
Relax77 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:28 am

So real quick and vague

Mike is 100% the reason their offense took off. There are a few articles on his offense and what he is trying to achieve. He was a great volunteer assistant at Michigan before he moved down to Jacksonville. My daughter liked him a lot, great guy and he’s solid.

As for thr McCords, let’s just talk about the elephant in the room—the assistant most people don’t like us Mindy’s husband. He got into it with a former college player online (Twitter) and the guy is, well, a bit of an ass. I decided I wouldn’t let my kid go to Jax so we dropped that one. Loved Mike Bedford, but not the husband.

It should be interesting to see it all shake out, but let’s not forget McCord already had many successful years winning the conference at Jax before Bedford arrived.
Yes. Mindy is loved as is Britt. Amazingly Paul has been described as everything from a creeper to a holy roller, a bully, and as you said, an ass. 😁. But the issue with the recruiting wasn’t Paul. Britt promised a lot of kids a lot of things.
CrossSTX

Post by CrossSTX »

Curious how money promised changed? Was this during 2025 recruiting cycle or when NLIs were given during 2024s?
Were offers rescinded after girls accepted them? Due to deadlines?
What kind of promises were made by asst coach? Promises of offers?
laxfan9999

Post by laxfan9999 »

They yanked an offer from a committed 2024 from NEMs which was weird since they had 4 from NEMs in that class.

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”