UNC 2024

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Typical Lax Dad

Re: UNC 2024

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

random observer wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 12:42 pm Again, I just don't get the obsession with taking away McGovern's PT. Let's take away the team's top scorer these past two years, and its most efficient, non ball/shot dominant attackman (who has the only two goals for the Heels today). Matan is solid but I haven't seen enough yet to lead me to believe that he is a special, AA type player. People are anchoring on the 5 star recruit ranking and just assuming that means the only reason he isn't a star is because he's not starting; that doesn't mean it definitely can't happen at some point, the production just hasn't been off the charts to justify taking away the minutes from a player who has been flat out better on the field. That's not even getting into the fact that McGovern is one of the fiercest competitors in all of D1 lacrosse (if you're not familiar with his story, look it up), and that kind of grit and fire is sorely needed for any team. Shiny new toy syndrome has been one of UNC's worst habits dating back for over a decade, and people never learn.
+1000. It has been part of that program’s problem. McGovern should be benched because IL has given a guy a “5 ⭐️” High School rating…. I would take a college “4 ⭐️”’rating over a High School “5 ⭐️” rating every day of the week.
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

Hard to say this about a freshman with 26 goals, but Dominic Pietramala really needs to can more of his shots. His teammates get him great looks. Young Petro just needs to finish a few more of them.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
Laxitup21

Post by Laxitup21 »

Watched UNC today, man, they are an odd bunch collectively. I think the problem is their best player is a freshman, and he looked like one vs UVA. Duffy will be good but he needs more Shellenberger in his game aka learning how to maneuver as QB instead of a pure dodger to goal. He will be a great player

The problem is Petro and McGovern really don’t scare you too much, especially as dodgers. Really think Matan should hold down that right side.

The middies do a nice job as step down shooters. Also, the middies try to invert but it just didn’t work well.

I have screamed this from the rafters they need to learn how to finish and properly feed the crease or be patient with their dodges. They all play so fundamental and feel like they don’t have the best sense for where the open man is. I see minimal quick sticks, minimal skip passes, and just iso dodging and force feeding. Maybe it’s the scheme, maybe it’s players, but I do think youth is showing for sure
Finster

Post by Finster »

Laxitup21 wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 5:04 pm Watched UNC today, man, they are an odd bunch collectively. I think the problem is their best player is a freshman, and he looked like one vs UVA. Duffy will be good but he needs more Shellenberger in his game aka learning how to maneuver as QB instead of a pure dodger to goal. He will be a great player

The problem is Petro and McGovern really don’t scare you too much, especially as dodgers. Really think Matan should hold down that right side.

The middies do a nice job as step down shooters. Also, the middies try to invert but it just didn’t work well.

I have screamed this from the rafters they need to learn how to finish and properly feed the crease or be patient with their dodges. They all play so fundamental and feel like they don’t have the best sense for where the open man is. I see minimal quick sticks, minimal skip passes, and just iso dodging and force feeding. Maybe it’s the scheme, maybe it’s players, but I do think youth is showing for sure

Think you’re hitting it on the head when you said their best player is a freshman, and that’s the problem. That’s not usually what you want to hear. Shows that the team had three years preceding without massive development.

I just thought the Tar Heels were way overmatched, which in a vacuum isn’t the worst thing because UVA just seems on another level to most other D1 teams not called Notre Dame. The thing is, Carolina shouldn’t be settling for mediocrity. And of course this is causing sleeplessness for Joe.

I don’t know any quick fix. Their freshman FOGO is a rock for three more years, and if you’re a Tar Heel, you at least have that. Duffy obviously is talented, but you can’t be an island on a D1 offense.

Three more games: Cuse, ND, Duke. I don’t see a win in there.
Mr3Putt

Post by Mr3Putt »

U don’t let fresh take pot shots all day! 1-15 yesterday. There are plenty of players on this roster to take charge & involve the 2 v good fresh. Involve everyone, don’t let 1-2 players lead
coda

Post by coda »

Laxitup21 wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 5:04 pm Watched UNC today, man, they are an odd bunch collectively. I think the problem is their best player is a freshman, and he looked like one vs UVA. Duffy will be good but he needs more Shellenberger in his game aka learning how to maneuver as QB instead of a pure dodger to goal. He will be a great player

Basically, you are seeing what happens when you have a club offense vs a legit college defense
Laxitup21

Post by Laxitup21 »

Mr3Putt wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 5:26 pm U don’t let fresh take pot shots all day! 1-15 yesterday. There are plenty of players on this roster to take charge & involve the 2 v good fresh. Involve everyone, don’t let 1-2 players lead
Agreed. That’s why half of me thinks it’s coaching. They are coaching Duffy like it’s a summer club team. Not even Brennan O’niell could get away with the way these guys all play with their iso.
Laxitup21

Post by Laxitup21 »

coda wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 5:48 pm

Basically, you are seeing what happens when you have a club offense vs a legit college defense
Agreed. They tried to do this vs uva and seem to be doing this more of trying to look for the right pass and really not play like it’s a Team 91 club game. They are young so it was mostly forced but way more of that than early season.

Curious to see if they can steal this one vs Cuse. UVA is in another league right now. Unc has shown glimpses but it’s now or never to show it for this year and for their tourny hopes (ACC).
Laxitup21

Post by Laxitup21 »

Now that I have time to spell this out, this is what I am seeing from UNC... a glorified club team, and a young team.

-Owen Duffy has played well, no knock on him and he's a freshman. The problem is everyone knows to quickly double on him. He is a good dodger but he needs to step back a bit, dodge, and look to feed because teams are so quick to slide on him. He needs more Shellenberger in the sense he dodges with his head up to pass, Duffy dodes more straight to goal. I think that's a maturity thing. That aspect could really help his game though.

-Logan McGover/Petro. I know McGovern is a big time transfer and played well but he is not beating anybody dodging. He is really a facilitator at attack and you need another dodger down there because Petro isin't either.

-Crease play. None. This is a major problem here and with Duke...vs a team like Syracuse (who feeds the crease well). They are all alley dodges and iso dodges. When they feed the crease, it's really forced. Not sure if anyone on the roster can take this role on but they become a very easy team to defend with no inside presence.

-Middies: They run 3 lines, trying to figure out what works, but at this point I think your top 6 have to play. Preis seems good but he looks so young out there. Awful passes vs UVA. They try to iso but it just doesn't work. They have minimal off ball movement too. if I am them, I really try to run fast breaks to maybe spark the o.

They need to move Matan to attack. Matan-Duffy at X-Petro

Middies don't really have an alphas and you'd hope some of the upper classmen can make (Schwarz, Tillman, Demarco) can try and push it this next week.

The good news for them, the nucleus is back for another 3 years.
random observer

Post by random observer »

Laxitup21 wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 12:08 pm Now that I have time to spell this out, this is what I am seeing from UNC... a glorified club team, and a young team.

-Owen Duffy has played well, no knock on him and he's a freshman. The problem is everyone knows to quickly double on him. He is a good dodger but he needs to step back a bit, dodge, and look to feed because teams are so quick to slide on him. He needs more Shellenberger in the sense he dodges with his head up to pass, Duffy dodes more straight to goal. I think that's a maturity thing. That aspect could really help his game though.

-Logan McGover/Petro. I know McGovern is a big time transfer and played well but he is not beating anybody dodging. He is really a facilitator at attack and you need another dodger down there because Petro isin't either.

-Crease play. None. This is a major problem here and with Duke...vs a team like Syracuse (who feeds the crease well). They are all alley dodges and iso dodges. When they feed the crease, it's really forced. Not sure if anyone on the roster can take this role on but they become a very easy team to defend with no inside presence.

-Middies: They run 3 lines, trying to figure out what works, but at this point I think your top 6 have to play. Preis seems good but he looks so young out there. Awful passes vs UVA. They try to iso but it just doesn't work. They have minimal off ball movement too. if I am them, I really try to run fast breaks to maybe spark the o.

Middies don't really have an alphas and you'd hope some of the upper classmen can make (Schwarz, Tillman, Demarco) can try and push it this next week.

Yet again, we are arguing about benching the team's second best offensive player for two inferior players purely because they were ranked higher. What have Matan and Petro done to warrant being undroppable, other than being deemed 5 star material by IL's recruiters? Why is it good news that this nucleus is back for another 3 years when two of the three players in your nucleus have not exactly lit the world on fire? Just because they all had 5 stars next to their name in the recruiting lists doesn't mean they are necessarily 5 star college talents in the present.

You say this offense is a glorified club team, and turn and suggest benching McGovern because he's a facilitator -- the very thing the offense needs more of if it wants to stop being a club offense! You say he isn't beating anyone off the dodge -- well as you said neither is Petro. At least McGovern can pass, and is a more efficient shooter. I know I'm beating a dead horse here, but this is just absolute nonsense.

As for Matan, he has 1 point in his last 5 games -- why is he the answer? For argument's sake, let's say maybe a positional change will make a difference. But if you're going to do that, the right move would be to switch him with Petro (also recruited as an A/M) who mostly just shoots from outside on the left wing anyway. That way you could have McGovern on the left and Duffy at X where they are most comfortable (or Duffy on the wing and Matan at X if the latter proves effective from there). You could even still get Petro his wing shots from the midfield by running two man games on the left side.
Laxitup21

Post by Laxitup21 »

random observer wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 12:40 pm
Laxitup21 wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 12:08 pm Now that I have time to spell this out, this is what I am seeing from UNC... a glorified club team, and a young team.

Yet again, we are arguing about benching the team's second best offensive player for two inferior players purely because they were ranked higher. What have Matan and Petro done to warrant being undroppable, other than being deemed 5 star material by IL's recruiters? Why is it good news that this nucleus is back for another 3 years when two of the three players in your nucleus have not exactly lit the world on fire? Just because they all had 5 stars next to their name in the recruiting lists doesn't mean they are necessarily 5 star college talents in the present.

You say this offense is a glorified club team, and turn and suggest benching McGovern because he's a facilitator -- the very thing the offense needs more of if it wants to stop being a club offense! You say he isn't beating anyone off the dodge -- well as you said neither is Petro. At least McGovern can pass, and is a more efficient shooter. I know I'm beating a dead horse here, but this is just absolute nonsense.

As for Matan, he has 1 point in his last 5 games -- why is he the answer? For argument's sake, let's say maybe a positional change will make a difference. But if you're going to do that, the right move would be to switch him with Petro (also recruited as an A/M) who mostly just shoots from outside on the left wing anyway. That way you could have McGovern on the left and Duffy at X where they are most comfortable (or Duffy on the wing and Matan at X if the latter proves effective from there). You could even still get Petro his wing shots from the midfield by running two man games on the left side.
I argue because someone needs to beat a defender not named Duffy and Matan is the best option to do that. Maybe Petro at middie is correct then.
PulpExposure

Post by PulpExposure »

UNC's motto: "Do less with more."

No, they don't recruit like UVA (but no one does) and not quite to Duke, but the talent they pull in is probably 3rd overall. ND is coming on strong lately, but even their 2025 class can't match up with UNC's 2025 class.

And these talented kids come to UNC and just fail to live up to expectations. I watch them as a Terps fan and see the kind of talent they pull in and wish we had something similar. Its not like Maryland doesn't get talent (of course they do), but not the blue chip kids that UNC routinely gets. For example, Maryland's never had the top recruit in a class. Ever. Maryland's top ranked recruits were Rambo and Fairman who were 2nd, and Bernhardt was 3rd. Haven't had a top 5 kid in since Fairman in 2017. Heck they don't even have a top 5 recruit on their team right now, but they should next year with Ford. UNC has multiple even now with Duffy and Petro and will have another in 2025 with Merrill at 2.

UNC pulls these sorts of kids, and then they just underperform. Amazing.
random observer

Laxitup21 wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 12:49 pm

I argue because someone needs to beat a defender not named Duffy and Matan is the best option to do that. Maybe Petro at middie is correct then.
The question if it's specifically dodging, is why haven't they been effective off the invert? You would think Matan would be able to take advantage of short sticks coming from behind if he's going to be effective doing it at attack facing ACC poles. I feel like we've seen flashes from Levy, but he also has turned the ball over several times forcing the ball into the crease.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

what would be great for unc to carry some momentum into 2025 would be to get competitive in some or all of their last 3 acc games. they've seen enough top competition to date to identify what's been working for good shots and what hasn't. i doubt their defense will fall apart unless they bag the season at some point.

have to admit, don't understand the bench mcgovern angle, either. he's only produced more than any attackman not named gray since their 2016 title. duffy may out point him this year, but of course at this stage on 2x shots. cherry picking, but last 5 games matan's 1 for 21 and 9 saves in there. 0 assists. so get him on attack now? he ran mostly as att last year? and went for 2 ppg. mcgovern's been just under 4 no matter what time frame.

it won't get easier this year, but their fogo's at the least have a shot at holding up vs. cuse/duke/nd. again, some better shooting will help.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

PulpExposure wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 12:54 pm UNC's motto: "Do less with more."

No, they don't recruit like UVA (but no one does) and not quite to Duke, but the talent they pull in is probably 3rd overall. ND is coming on strong lately, but even their 2025 class can't match up with UNC's 2025 class.

And these talented kids come to UNC and just fail to live up to expectations. I watch them as a Terps fan and see the kind of talent they pull in and wish we had something similar. Its not like Maryland doesn't get talent (of course they do), but not the blue chip kids that UNC routinely gets. For example, Maryland's never had the top recruit in a class. Ever. Maryland's top ranked recruits were Rambo and Fairman who were 2nd, and Bernhardt was 3rd. Haven't had a top 5 kid in since Fairman in 2017. Heck they don't even have a top 5 recruit on their team right now, but they should next year with Ford. UNC has multiple even now with Duffy and Petro and will have another in 2025 with Merrill at 2.

i mean... rambo was the #1 recruit. not really something to make an absolute case of.
PulpExposure

Post by PulpExposure »

wgdsr wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 1:01 pm

i mean... rambo was the #1 recruit. not really something to make an absolute case of.
He wasn't. Jordan Evans was that year.

https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... te-0/20897
random observer

PulpExposure wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 1:12 pm

While you are correct, everyone and their mother knew that Rambo was the better player; he had been the #1 recruit from the word go right up until IL bumped Evans above him for their final power 100. Sort of felt bad for Evans because that decision by IL put a huge critical spotlight on him. Then, like several other #1 recruits from that era (John Greeley, Nicky Galasso, Case Matheis, Shack Stanwick) he developed injury issues that really hampered his development and kept him from reaching his potential. But regardless, Rambo was always the better prospect.
GaitsRightHand

Post by GaitsRightHand »

Was saying this a couple weeks ago, and people thought I was crazy. UNC needs a stud/goal scorer out of the midfield.
Laxitup21

Post by Laxitup21 »

GaitsRightHand wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 1:51 pm

Was saying this a couple weeks ago, and people thought I was crazy. UNC needs a stud/goal scorer out of the midfield.
Yea. It’s hard to explain because Petro does not look like a good downhill dodger either. He reminds me of Owen Hiltz tbh.

The biggest issue is UNC plays scared, reckless, and really can’t work outside of the film room. You watch them making horrendous turnovers and it just doesn’t look like they know where to go with the ball or who can beat their man. And when they do, it’s a dropped pass.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

random observer wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 1:31 pm
PulpExposure wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 1:12 pm

While you are correct, everyone and their mother knew that Rambo was the better player; he had been the #1 recruit from the word go right up until IL bumped Evans above him for their final power 100. Sort of felt bad for Evans because that decision by IL put a huge critical spotlight on him. Then, like several other #1 recruits from that era (John Greeley, Nicky Galasso, Case Matheis, Shack Stanwick) he developed injury issues that really hampered his development and kept him from reaching his potential. But regardless, Rambo was always the better prospect.
IL might have done Rambo a favor,
looking back on those days and the extreme IL #1 recruit hype.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”