UNC 2024

D1 Mens Lacrosse
wgdsr

Re: UNC 2024

Post by wgdsr »

51percentcorn wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 2:17 pm I am with you wg... except everyone keeps referring to this goal differential cap of 5 goals - so it doesn't matter whether you win/lose by 5 or 25 it still counts as 5 so my lizard brain is saying that IF Carolina had held on to at least a 5 goal margin - then UVA/Duke/UNC are all net ZERO. Each team would have beat one of the other teams by 5 or more goals so you have a +5 and a -5. My interpretation of the Inside Lacrosse statement - because I couldn't find it either was that the next tiebreaker is goal differential - again with the +/- 5 goal cap - amongst all ACC opponents and UVA and UNC would have qualified under that scenario.
ahhh... can u link where a source says there was a 5 goal cap? i'd never seen that. if it's there, it's new.
Suitcase

Post by Suitcase »

FWIW the tv announcers were talking about the
5 goal cap a lot during the broadcast
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Suitcase wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 2:24 pm FWIW the tv announcers were talking about the
5 goal cap a lot during the broadcast
sorry, but many announcers don't know a number of the rules on the field of play. they may have been briefed on the arcane tiebreakers, but...
ICGrad

Post by ICGrad »

wgdsr wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 2:20 pm
ahhh... can u link where a source says there was a 5 goal cap? i'd never seen that. if it's there, it's new.
There was an article on IL on Thursday or Friday of last week looking at all of the different conference scenarios, and it mentioned the 3-way tie-breaker (and 5-goal cap) should Duke, UNC and Virginia all end up tied for the last two slots.
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

This straight from the ACC announcement of the tournament bracket

"The No. 3 and 4 seeds came down to a three-team tiebreaker, with Duke, Virginia and North Carolina all finishing with identical 1-3 league records. The tie was broken using the third tiebreaker in the league’s seeding guidelines, which is goal differential in head-to-head conference game results amongst the group of tied teams, with each result capped at +/- 5 goals. Duke earned the No. 3 seed by virtue of its plus-2 goal differential, while UVA finished with a 0 goal differential to claim the No. 4 seed. North Carolina ended with a minus-2 goal differential among the group of tied teams. The first tiebreaker is the winning percentage against the top team in the final standings (Notre Dame) and since all three teams lost to the Irish, the tiebreaker continued down the standings to the record versus the No. 2 team (Syracuse). All three teams also lost to the Orange. The second tiebreaker is the record within the group of tied teams, and each team was 1-1 in the group."

My question was what would have happened if Carolina had held on to the +5 goal lead? All three teams would have been net 0 and why was everyone so certain UVA and Carolina would have gone under those circumstances? Net goal differential for the entirety of the conference gets you there but I cant find officially that was the 4 th tie breaker.
Mr3Putt

Post by Mr3Putt »

Cap was 5 goals . Broadcast explained it during the game. What could have been…..
coda

Post by coda »

51percentcorn wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 3:26 pm This straight from the ACC announcement of the tournament bracket

"The No. 3 and 4 seeds came down to a three-team tiebreaker, with Duke, Virginia and North Carolina all finishing with identical 1-3 league records. The tie was broken using the third tiebreaker in the league’s seeding guidelines, which is goal differential in head-to-head conference game results amongst the group of tied teams, with each result capped at +/- 5 goals. Duke earned the No. 3 seed by virtue of its plus-2 goal differential, while UVA finished with a 0 goal differential to claim the No. 4 seed. North Carolina ended with a minus-2 goal differential among the group of tied teams. The first tiebreaker is the winning percentage against the top team in the final standings (Notre Dame) and since all three teams lost to the Irish, the tiebreaker continued down the standings to the record versus the No. 2 team (Syracuse). All three teams also lost to the Orange. The second tiebreaker is the record within the group of tied teams, and each team was 1-1 in the group."

My question was what would have happened if Carolina had held on to the +5 goal lead? All three teams would have been net 0 and why was everyone so certain UVA and Carolina would have gone under those circumstances? Net goal differential for the entirety of the conference gets you there but I cant find officially that was the 4 th tie breaker.
This is a good question. It would have been 0 for all 3 programs. The broadcast said UNC was in and Duke was out, so there must be a 4th criteria here.
ICGrad

Post by ICGrad »

51percentcorn wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 3:26 pm
According to this, it comes down to differential in other conference games. Assuming the same +/- 5 cap

UNC: -8 (-5) to ND, -1 to Syr = -6
Duke: -6 (-5) to Syr, -3 to ND = -8
UVA: -1 to Syr, -2 to ND = -3

So UNC and UVA.

https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... down/63191
coda

Post by coda »

ICGrad wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:34 pm
51percentcorn wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 3:26 pm
According to this, it comes down to differential in other conference games. Assuming the same +/- 5 cap

UNC: -8 (-5) to ND, -1 to Syr = -6
Duke: -6 (-5) to Syr, -3 to ND = -8
UVA: -1 to Syr, -2 to ND = -3

So UNC and UVA.

https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... down/63191
thanks
norcalhop

Post by norcalhop »

truly some can't miss ACC games this weekend. Duke has looked putrid but we know they have potential.
GaitsRightHand

Post by GaitsRightHand »

Spencer Wirtheim middie (Cornell) to UNC
Andrew O'Berry d-mid (harvard) to UNC

2 solid pick-ups. Wonder who else the Heels can snag this offseason.
JustR3Lax

Post by JustR3Lax »

GaitsRightHand wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 10:37 am Spencer Wirtheim middie (Cornell) to UNC

Great pick ups. Any official word on the Princeton tendy?
GaitsRightHand

Post by GaitsRightHand »

JustR3Lax wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 12:01 pm
GaitsRightHand wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 10:37 am Spencer Wirtheim middie (Cornell) to UNC

Great pick ups. Any official word on the Princeton tendy?
Haven't seen anything yet. Last year they didn't announce until their season officially ended- I'd imagine it'd be the same this year.
NCblue

Post by NCblue »

Princeton Goalie is committed to attending UNC this fall. Most likely announced after NCAA tourney.
Finster

Post by Finster »

NCblue wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 2:16 pm Princeton Goalie is committed to attending UNC this fall. Most likely announced after NCAA tourney.

If Joe can lead this team well, I’m gonna go ahead and say Carolina will be formidable next year. The goalie hole was the one area of concern imo.

This sport can change on a dime.
GaitsRightHand

Post by GaitsRightHand »

NCblue wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 2:16 pm Princeton Goalie is committed to attending UNC this fall. Most likely announced after NCAA tourney.
This is huge (if true)

Figured ND, UNC, or Hop would be his top 3. All in need of goalies next year. Glad he'll be in Chapel Hill.
GaitsRightHand

Post by GaitsRightHand »

Finster wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 2:32 pm

If Joe can lead this team well, I’m gonna go ahead and say Carolina will be formidable next year. The goalie hole was the one area of concern imo.

Two 5-star o-middies coming in the 2024 class. Bunch of 4 stars at every position.

Think a couple more veteran midfielders and poles could make this a scary team.
Finster

Post by Finster »

GaitsRightHand wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 2:37 pm
Finster wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 2:32 pm

Two 5-star o-middies coming in the 2024 class. Bunch of 4 stars at every position.

Think a couple more veteran midfielders and poles could make this a scary team.

I agree but it’s all about chemistry and leadership when you’re loaded. Joe will need to reach into his bag of inspiration to get the team to gel. I hope he does. The sport is better when Carolina contends.
NCblue

Post by NCblue »

Even with new talent being added I am skeptical that Breschi can perform next year. Why would next year be any different from the past three? We add 3 Ivy league players and a rumor that many more are on the way. Breschi has proven that he can recruit, but he has also proven that he cannot do anything with his recruits. There are always gaps in recruiting, injuries etc., again what does that say about your program if you cannot develop your talent, rely on your current talent or that you need to rely on someone else's program to develop portal players for your success? I see Breschi as Desko 2 years ago and Starsia 8 years ago. And dare I add Petro 4 years ago. A coach past his prime that cannot connect with todays players. There have been some very valid points that the other ACC teams are losing players and UNC could be ascendant because of that. UNC should always be at the top regardless of our competition. Hope springs eternal....
Brownlax

Post by Brownlax »

NCblue wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 5:20 pm Even with new talent being added I am skeptical that Breschi can perform next year. Why would next year be any different from the past three? We add 3 Ivy league players and a rumor that many more are on the way. Breschi has proven that he can recruit, but he has also proven that he cannot do anything with his recruits. There are always gaps in recruiting, injuries etc., again what does that say about your program if you cannot develop your talent, rely on your current talent or that you need to rely on someone else's program to develop portal players for your success? I see Breschi as Desko 2 years ago and Starsia 8 years ago. And dare I add Petro 4 years ago. A coach past his prime that cannot connect with todays players. There have been some very valid points that the other ACC teams are losing players and UNC could be ascendant because of that. UNC should always be at the top regardless of our competition. Hope springs eternal....
Wow! Tell us how you really feel! :D :D

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”