UNC 2024

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Laxfan016

Re: UNC 2024

Post by Laxfan016 »

Now that the season is over. Do we know how bad the Duffey injury was/is i cant help but get Nicky Galasso PTSD
CloutierPoutine

Post by CloutierPoutine »

NCblue wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 5:20 pm Even with new talent being added I am skeptical that Breschi can perform next year. Why would next year be any different from the past three? We add 3 Ivy league players and a rumor that many more are on the way. Breschi has proven that he can recruit, but he has also proven that he cannot do anything with his recruits. There are always gaps in recruiting, injuries etc., again what does that say about your program if you cannot develop your talent, rely on your current talent or that you need to rely on someone else's program to develop portal players for your success? I see Breschi as Desko 2 years ago and Starsia 8 years ago. And dare I add Petro 4 years ago. A coach past his prime that cannot connect with todays players. There have been some very valid points that the other ACC teams are losing players and UNC could be ascendant because of that. UNC should always be at the top regardless of our competition. Hope springs eternal....
Disappointed in Breschi's job the past few years, but 2020 & 2021 at least showed us he can win with an extremely talented lineup. Maybe next year is the year we finally have enough firepower to overcome Breschi's shortcomings. Still just cannot see him getting let go.
nyjay

Post by nyjay »

CloutierPoutine wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 9:49 pm Disappointed in Breschi's job the past few years, but 2020 & 2021 at least showed us he can win with an extremely talented lineup. Maybe next year is the year we finally have enough firepower to overcome Breschi's shortcomings. Still just cannot see him getting let go.
I agree - I think they'll keep him. But I'm not sure how much of that is due to Breschi and how much is due to lack of attractive candidates to replace him. Feels to me like the head coaching pool is pretty stagnant at this point - I don't see a lot of obvious up-and-comers out there.
JerrysWorld

Post by JerrysWorld »

nyjay wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 9:34 am
CloutierPoutine wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 9:49 pm Disappointed in Breschi's job the past few years, but 2020 & 2021 at least showed us he can win with an extremely talented lineup. Maybe next year is the year we finally have enough firepower to overcome Breschi's shortcomings. Still just cannot see him getting let go.
I agree - I think they'll keep him. But I'm not sure how much of that is due to Breschi and how much is due to lack of attractive candidates to replace him. Feels to me like the head coaching pool is pretty stagnant at this point - I don't see a lot of obvious up-and-comers out there.
I think the pool of candidates who would want that job would be extremely good. Assuming the pay is good.
coda

Post by coda »

nyjay wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 9:34 am
I have been touting McMInn at Utah for awhile. It seems kind of good, when your resume at 2 schools says "first tournament appearance ever"
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

i agree the pool of candidates would be good and maybe surprise some people. and let's not pretend breschi crushed it @ tosu.

but everything about his 3 year deal and turning over assistants (albeit one with now ties to the roster), moving around the country, a d-coordinator staying on in another role, absolutely screams that he had 2, and possibly 3 years barring any disasters. not 1. next year probably has to be really moving in the right direction (nc$$?) and year 3 some tangible further results, no backsliding.

contrary to popular sentiment, i question as much as anything the recruiting. yeah, they've won the IL wars, and look like they're doing it again. i remember the times when the d was soft and when they got a hard nosed public school kid, he stood out there. then they had a trio of outstanding mids come thru together (and previous), but never had the production out of the attack line that they had with sankey/bitters until..
it took a diminutive transfer to get them out of a mini-slump, and again he stood out on that attack. last champ team dragged by what was a late commit unknown canuck. projecting high schoolers is not easy, even if they've moved it back.
nyjay

Post by nyjay »

wgdsr wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 10:34 am i agree the pool of candidates would be good and maybe surprise some people. and let's not pretend breschi crushed it @ tosu.
I have no doubt that there are a lot of people who would be interested in job if it were to become available. It's one of the premier jobs in the sport. But who would be the top end candidates - who would be the guy who the AD would say, if we get rid of Breschi we can get THIS guy? The Utah HC? OK, maybe. Other HCs of mid-major programs that are having a really good run now? No one else really jumps to mind, assuming Chemotti wouldn't be interested (because he is probably waiting for Dino to retire). Would Chris Feifs come back? You're not going to get a Tillman/Tiffany/Milliman kind of guy to jump from the Ivies at this point (Shay isn't going anywhere). I don't think Toomey, Alberici or Polley are going anywhere. Who's the "hot" coordinator at a big time program? Kirwan was last year's example when he went to Dartmouth, doubt he'd leave this quick (and if it he does, does he go back to Brown?). Phipps is on his third OC job in as many years, so not him (and this year wasn't exactly an overwhelming success for him). None of the other MD or Hop coaches are going to leave their current programs.
GaitsRightHand

Post by GaitsRightHand »

nyjay wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 12:36 pm
wgdsr wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 10:34 am i agree the pool of candidates would be good and maybe surprise some people. and let's not pretend breschi crushed it @ tosu.
I have no doubt that there are a lot of people who would be interested in job if it were to become available. It's one of the premier jobs in the sport. But who would be the top end candidates - who would be the guy who the AD would say, if we get rid of Breschi we can get THIS guy? The Utah HC? OK, maybe. Other HCs of mid-major programs that are having a really good run now? No one else really jumps to mind, assuming Chemotti wouldn't be interested (because he is probably waiting for Dino to retire). Would Chris Feifs come back? You're not going to get a Tillman/Tiffany/Milliman kind of guy to jump from the Ivies at this point (Shay isn't going anywhere). I don't think Toomey, Alberici or Polley are going anywhere. Who's the "hot" coordinator at a big time program? Kirwan was last year's example when he went to Dartmouth, doubt he'd leave this quick (and if it he does, does he go back to Brown?). Phipps is on his third OC job in as many years, so not him (and this year wasn't exactly an overwhelming success for him). None of the other MD or Hop coaches are going to leave their current programs.
My biggest fear is that they can Breschi and bump up Petro...
nyjay

Post by nyjay »

GaitsRightHand wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 12:37 pm
Yeah. I love Petro, but I don't think I'd recommend that. Though, candidly, at this point, he's probably a better HC than he is a DC. If you were to get him the right assistants, he might be OK as a CEO-type head coach.
coda

Post by coda »

that would be one hell of a culture shock. I always suspected he was brought in to be the yang to Breschi's ying (obviously ignore Petro's kids going there)
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

when you said that, it made me quick make a list and there are probably some i wasn't thinking of as well. as i don't believe it's any kind of question for the here and now, imma gonna abstain.
Powellfan22

Post by Powellfan22 »

So UNC can lure pretty much any big name recruit in the country, but they couldn't pry Alberchi from Army? Toomey from Loyola? Polley from BU? You really think the Hopkins duo would be so loyal to Hopkins they wouldn't jump at the chance to coach at Chapel Hill as a head coach? I have trouble buying that they wouldn't have their pick of anyone they wanted.

I'm not sure there's an obvious choice out there (alumni connections make these things complicated, especially since so many "hot" coaching names, Murphy, Chemotti, went to arch rival Duke), but I'm sure they would be able to attract a very impressive group of applicants. Also disagree about the Ivy League, Conor Buczek would be a huge get (to me). I know he went to Cornell, but given their history of being unable to hold onto coaches, for the right price, you never know.
nyjay

Post by nyjay »

Powellfan22 wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 1:18 pm So UNC can lure pretty much any big name recruit in the country, but they couldn't pry Alberchi from Army? Toomey from Loyola? Polley from BU? You really think the Hopkins duo would be so loyal to Hopkins they wouldn't jump at the chance to coach at Chapel Hill as a head coach? I have trouble buying that they wouldn't have their pick of anyone they wanted.
I don't really know. Maybe you're right. Alberici is an Upstate guy and has been at West Point for almost 20 years. Toomey is a Loyola alum and been there a long time as well (and has won an NC). Polley is a full-fledged New England guy, but maybe he'd leave. The Hop duo are both alums, and the program seems to be on the upswing, so not sure they'd leave now, but maybe. Buczek is an alum and seems to be a very Cornell guy.

These are obviously just my guesses, but I'm not sure the pool would be quite as big as you might think.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Madalon
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

nyjay wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 1:36 pm
Powellfan22 wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 1:18 pm So UNC can lure pretty much any big name recruit in the country, but they couldn't pry Alberchi from Army? Toomey from Loyola? Polley from BU? You really think the Hopkins duo would be so loyal to Hopkins they wouldn't jump at the chance to coach at Chapel Hill as a head coach? I have trouble buying that they wouldn't have their pick of anyone they wanted.
I don't really know. Maybe you're right. Alberici is an Upstate guy and has been at West Point for almost 20 years. Toomey is a Loyola alum and been there a long time as well (and has won an NC). Polley is a full-fledged New England guy, but maybe he'd leave. The Hop duo are both alums, and the program seems to be on the upswing, so not sure they'd leave now, but maybe. Buczek is an alum and seems to be a very Cornell guy.

These are obviously just my guesses, but I'm not sure the pool would be quite as big as you might think.
Difficult to imagine any assistant coach in college lacrosse turning down the chance to be the HC of UNC.

Current HCs are another matter.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
xxxxxxx

Post by xxxxxxx »

I believe this is what will ultimately happen, he hired his replacement last year. I am sure Petro is working the AD daily.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

xxxxxxx wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 2:10 pm
I believe this is what will ultimately happen, he hired his replacement last year. I am sure Petro is working the AD daily.
Can't tell if you're being sarcastic, but this is not something he would ever do. He is very loyal — his critics would say loyal to a fault. Breschi brought him in and gave him the opportunity to coach his kids...going behind his back in any way is simply not in Petro's character. In the back of his mind, sure, he'd probably like the chance to be a head coach again, but he's not going to actively undermine his colleague/friend.
xxxxxxx

Post by xxxxxxx »

HopFan16 wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 2:14 pm
xxxxxxx wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 2:10 pm
Can't tell if you're being sarcastic, but this is not something he would ever do. He is very loyal — his critics would say loyal to a fault. Breschi brought him in and gave him the opportunity to coach his kids...going behind his back in any way is simply not in Petro's character. In the back of his mind, sure, he'd probably like the chance to be a head coach again, but he's not going to actively undermine his colleague/friend.
I don't think he is undermining his boss and have tremendous respect for Petro and his character. Im saying the writing is on the wall and anyone would be wise to build a relationship with the AD in case the opportunity arises.
JerrysWorld

Post by JerrysWorld »

HopFan16 wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 1:46 pmMadalon
Madalon, Warne, Chemotti

Would be my first 3 calls in any order
coda

Post by coda »

JerrysWorld wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 2:58 pm
HopFan16 wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 1:46 pmMadalon
Madalon, Warne, Chemotti