Replay

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Gorilla Fan

Replay

Post by Gorilla Fan »

bearlaxfan

Re: Replay

Post by bearlaxfan »

Kind of amazing when they were originally discussing video review of shot-time no one brought up crease issues, which happen much more often. The meeting might have been encroaching on happy hour...
Laxattackjack

Post by Laxattackjack »

No mention in anything posted through NCAA if this just impacts D1. I don’t see how D2 and D3 can accommodate this.

This got me thinking. Are there any other rules that only apply to D1?
ctbagataway

Post by ctbagataway »

As I understand it the rule will apply for all three divisions but only if the home team has the ability to have the replay available on the sidelines. They didn’t want to force teams into making a big investment to comply with the rule.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Laxattackjack wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 9:22 pm No mention in anything posted through NCAA if this just impacts D1. I don’t see how D2 and D3 can accommodate this.

@ cocktail party, volunteering unsolicited where johnny's going.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

Laxattackjack wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 9:22 pm No mention in anything posted through NCAA if this just impacts D1. I don’t see how D2 and D3 can accommodate this.

Yeah schools can't afford cameras. The $5k expense where would they ever find the $ for that in multi billion dollar budgets.
Laxattackjack

Post by Laxattackjack »

jhu06 wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2023 9:10 am

Yeah schools can't afford cameras. The $5k expense where would they ever find the $ for that in multi billion dollar budgets.
5k one time expense to have replay camera and staff available on sidelines for each game? Most schools are lucky to have one camera with poor zoom.
D3LaxFan2

Post by D3LaxFan2 »

Not every school has donors writing checks for 2 billion dollars.
Njlaxx11

Post by Njlaxx11 »

cabrini is a national champion and they're closing.. shows a lot about the health of these smaller D3 schools.
jersey shore lax

Post by jersey shore lax »

ctbagataway wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 10:25 pm As I understand it the rule will apply for all three divisions but only if the home team has the ability to have the replay available on the sidelines. They didn’t want to force teams into making a big investment to comply with the rule.
I really hate this, so a video review that overturns the call on the field at one school but the identical play would allow the call to stand at a school without replay. also some D1 schools have no camera or one camera while some have 3-4 camera's at a game. just two inconstant. Imagine if the say they will use a shot clock only at universities that have the ability to have a clock on the field, otherwise no shot clock.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

wgdsr wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2023 7:35 am

@ cocktail party, volunteering unsolicited where johnny's going.
:lol: :D
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

jersey shore lax wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2023 1:10 pm
ctbagataway wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 10:25 pm As I understand it the rule will apply for all three divisions but only if the home team has the ability to have the replay available on the sidelines. They didn’t want to force teams into making a big investment to comply with the rule.
I really hate this, so a video review that overturns the call on the field at one school but the identical play would allow the call to stand at a school without replay. also some D1 schools have no camera or one camera while some have 3-4 camera's at a game. just two inconstant. Imagine if the say they will use a shot clock only at universities that have the ability to have a clock on the field, otherwise no shot clock.
Seems to me that this will encourage the investment to be made, but recognizes the reality that some schools just won't have the capacity...at least for now. Gonna have to live with the refs initial call, just like now. But it will likely be that venues for playoff games will have such capacity.

Shot clock is much cheaper, easier to require of all.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

D3LaxFan2 wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2023 11:23 am

If schools can't afford to support their teams with the 2023 basics then it's time for alumni, parents and students to look at the administration and say where is the leadership and our $ going?
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

jhu06 wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2023 3:20 pm
D3LaxFan2 wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2023 11:23 am

If schools can't afford to support their teams with the 2023 basics then it's time for alumni, parents and students to look at the administration and say where is the leadership and our $ going?
Schools that can't afford this probably don't have alumni who give a sh*t
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

When they were considering a shot clock had to consider tge fisxal impact on D ll and D llll schools. Those schools don’t typically have multiple billion dollar budgets

If done right there are two goals that need to have coverage and perhaps multiple camera angles if it is to be done right.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

OCanada wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2023 4:56 pm When they were considering a shot clock had to consider tge fisxal impact on D ll and D llll schools. Those schools don’t typically have multiple billion dollar budgets

If done right there are two goals that need to have coverage and perhaps multiple camera angles if it is to be done right.
IL and other outlets have done multiple stories on how schools MAKE money off non revenue sports like lacrosse because they get kids in the door paying tuition etc.
Gorilla Fan

Post by Gorilla Fan »

Pretty much every college team and high school for that matter has a camera and films games.

Now, a camera has to have a feed down to the scorers box, plus have the ability to rewind and slow motion for close inspection.

Much bigger than a 5k camera only, there are many moving parts. Completely doable for those schools that have a broadcasting partner, but much more than just have video and film the games.
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

jhu06 wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2023 7:58 pm
OCanada wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2023 4:56 pm When they were considering a shot clock had to consider tge fisxal impact on D ll and D llll schools. Those schools don’t typically have multiple billion dollar budgets

IL and other outlets have done multiple stories on how schools MAKE money off non revenue sports like lacrosse because they get kids in the door paying tuition etc.
You are aware colleges are struggling with increasing numbers likely to close right? In the event i would like to read one so post it. I am doubtful it holds up. Aldo it is a far crg from the billions you were referencing.

I would like my sibling to review it as VP of Finance (CFO) of a major university with an extensive athletic program.

My daughter’s spouse is the AD at an elite D-3 school so i will be asking there as well
jersey shore lax

Post by jersey shore lax »

Gorilla Fan wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2023 8:43 pm Pretty much every college team and high school for that matter has a camera and films games.

Now, a camera has to have a feed down to the scorers box, plus have the ability to rewind and slow motion for close inspection.

Much bigger than a 5k camera only, there are many moving parts. Completely doable for those schools that have a broadcasting partner, but much more than just have video and film the games.
single camera, from press box, operated by a student or injured player, complete inability to zoom in with enough clarity to see if a foot is in the crease or if the ball went in the goal. - this describes 90% + of all college lacrosse video's. maybe B1G and ACC networks will be ale to provide good replays but good luck at some of the smaller D1 schools and most DII and DIII schools. I hate that it amounts to different rules for different schools.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

jersey shore lax wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2023 10:44 am
Gorilla Fan wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2023 8:43 pm Pretty much every college team and high school for that matter has a camera and films games.

single camera, from press box, operated by a student or injured player, complete inability to zoom in with enough clarity to see if a foot is in the crease or if the ball went in the goal. - this describes 90% + of all college lacrosse video's. maybe B1G and ACC networks will be ale to provide good replays but good luck at some of the smaller D1 schools and most DII and DIII schools. I hate that it amounts to different rules for different schools.
there is a high likelihood that places that have substandard video will upgrade it. that is a plus.

one negative is that we may/will see more drawn out games, not the worst thing in the world.

because one game will have different camera setups than an entirely different game/field is a bit clutching at pearls. especially different divisions. larger issue is that with a poor camera setup, one team in a game might get something confirmed on replay that their opponent does not bc of the inferior setup. but we're talking about degrees and that's a feature of replay, not a bug.

my preference would be that until infrastructure was done (give it 2 years) that it's for knockout games (conference tournaments and nc$$), but here we are. i'm confident they did some manner of due diligence to determine the landscape. also... they might just put a priority on camera operators to be agnostic, paid game employees. so they have a 60 minute focus on doing their job as opposed to getting caught up on being a fan. and an improved product.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”