2023 world lacrosse men's championship

International Men's Lacrosse
The Orfling

Re: 2023 world lacrosse men's championship

Post by The Orfling »

oldbartman wrote: Sun Jun 25, 2023 10:00 pm
mdk01 wrote: Sun Jun 25, 2023 8:36 pm
JBFortunato wrote: Sun Jun 25, 2023 8:18 pm Really impressed with Cooper Perkins and Nick Ossello on the US/England broadcast. Pretty close to flawless, Ossello has some really interesting observations. Would love to see them get work on ESPN college broadcasts.
Never happen. ESPN wants ACC adulation.
Actions speak louder than words. Ossello was one the first to throw a punch in the beginning of the PLL. He's a punk. He thinks his Insta posts are hilarious. ESPN can/should do better imo.
Before he gets a more prominent gig, Ossello might have to clean up some of his twitter behavior (was fairly ugly towards chair of the 2022 NCAA selection committee, choosing to attack the one woman on the committee).
viho

Post by viho »

looked like a ualbany reunion tonight: canada vs haudenosaunee

marr -asst coach
merrick thompson - asst coach
connor fields
Piseno
ron john
lyle
nanticoke
jacob patterson
and TD on the us team
BigTom5

Post by BigTom5 »

Wheels wrote: Sun Jun 25, 2023 6:17 pm
1766 wrote: Sun Jun 25, 2023 5:16 pm Danowski definitely made some odd choices particularly offense. Pannell has no business on this team at this point and the rest of the attack is somewhat underwhelming. Would love to see Sowers full time there with O'Neil. If you want to keep Sowers out of the box have Ament behind with any number of guys.

Obvious huge advantage in faceoffs but the one area they got right is defense. Close and rope guys are very good, as are the goalies. Let's be honest though. USA could probably field 5 teams that could have a shot at winning this title. Lacrosse talent has never been deeper.
O'Neill did not play well yesterday in the first half. He has to know his role in the offense, and that is his strong lefty shot. He might be able to do the big wand wave in college, but he that didn't fly last night against defenders his size.

Every defense has been very slow to slide to Pannell, and that's why Sowers should be back at X. Rambo will move the ball ("What's up, Boyle? We're just hitting singles."), but someone has to draw that first slide. US shooters have suffered because they're not getting good looks on the end of multi-pass possessions.
O’Neill is definitely hunting points a bit, but to think he would seemlessly transition into a team first off ball shooter when he’s been a ball dominant attacker his whole career was probably a bit optimistic. There was bound to be hiccups. Compare him with Conrad on the second midfield line: Conrad has 5 goals on 7 shots, O’Neill has 5 goals on 19 shots.
jersey shore lax

Post by jersey shore lax »

JBFortunato wrote: Sun Jun 25, 2023 8:18 pm Really impressed with Cooper Perkins and Nick Ossello on the US/England broadcast. Pretty close to flawless, Ossello has some really interesting observations. Would love to see them get work on ESPN college broadcasts.
Last night was a breath of fresh air, hopefully Q watched both USA-England and Haudenosaunee-Canada and learned that often less is more. I only remember one food reference and just a lot of lacrosse talk and insight. I thought both broadcast were great.

Post by 1766 »

wgdsr wrote: Sun Jun 25, 2023 8:08 pm
1766 wrote: Sun Jun 25, 2023 6:59 pm
1766 wrote: Sun Jun 25, 2023 5:16 pm Danowski definitely made some odd choices particularly offense. Pannell has no business on this team at this point and the rest of the attack is somewhat underwhelming. Would love to see Sowers full time there with O'Neil. If you want to keep Sowers out of the box have Ament behind with any number of guys.

Obvious huge advantage in faceoffs but the one area they got right is defense. Close and rope guys are very good, as are the goalies. Let's be honest though. USA could probably field 5 teams that could have a shot at winning this title. Lacrosse talent has never been deeper.
O'Neill did not play well yesterday in the first half. He has to know his role in the offense, and that is his strong lefty shot. He might be able to do the big wand wave in college, but he that didn't fly last night against defenders his size.

Every defense has been very slow to slide to Pannell, and that's why Sowers should be back at X. Rambo will move the ball ("What's up, Boyle? We're just hitting singles."), but someone has to draw that first slide. US shooters have suffered because they're not getting good looks on the end of multi-pass possessions.
Agree with that. Which gets back to my point about Sowers. He can break a defense down more than anyone I've seen in this tournament. Schreiber has been getting more initiation from up top than Pannell has from behind. Putting Sowers behind would render Pannell inactive because he's not running out of the box. Just not sure he was the choice. You have plenty of experience with Rambo and McArdle to be leaders.
why wouldn't pannell potentially come out of the box? he jogs on... gets a shorty... and dodges him. from behind, wing, or wherever. the 6 v 6 has been conducted at a snail's pace. and then once we lose possession, the mids run off.
I guess that could work but if you are changing around your offense that much for one guy, maybe he isn't the guy. Both Oneill and Sowers can work from both up top and behind so running them out of the box doesn't fundamentally change the offensive structure. Possible sure, but is that ideal?

Post by 1766 »

laxfan1313 wrote: Sun Jun 25, 2023 8:41 pm

You have no "business" giving Rob Pannell the back of your hand. Tonight he is leading the offense against England, with 7 points (4-3). His leadership experience in International play is irreplaceable.
It does seem like I have been a little harsh on him so let me set the record straight. He's had a HOF career and is one of the top 20 greatest attackmen ever. Maybe even higher. He played well against England though I wouldn't say that game was very high level. We didn't allow a goal until late in the 4th so hats off to the defense more than anything.

As it relates to Pannell, still a great player but not at the level he was when he was younger which is understandable. I simply believe the make up of the team could be even better with Sowers behind and another midfielder out of the box, or if you want to Sowers out of the box, have another attackman. McArdle and Rambo along with Schreiber offer enough leadership on the offensive end.

Having said all of that, it will be an upset if anyone but USA wins the championship.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Zed wished he had that one back.....Lars making him carry the load on O (short stick) and D (Pole)? https://www.instagram.com/p/Ct9VYMNNpvr/
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
Brooklyn

Re: 2023 World Lacrosse Championship Series

Post by Brooklyn »

Jamaica 10
N Zealand 6

Kiwis made a strong comeback in the 2d half. They had a great size advantage but could not quite match the quickness and good ball distribution by the Jamaicans. Very impressive play by 16 year old Stone Evans. Jamaica undefeated in pool play.
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

Charles Francis "Socker" Coe, Esq
FMUBart

Post by FMUBart »

Did anyone else catch Q's attendance embellishment?? Initially he said the place was packed; both stands as well as the endzones. As the game(US v NHaudensaunee) wore on, you could see the endzones were at best 1/2 full and even the sideline stands weren't anywhere near "packed". Q finally said attendance was around 5600 versus initially saying over 10,000!
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

5-6,000 isn’t bad for San Diego.

One of the top attended games in Cali I’m aware of,
a fall ball game, Hopkins and Notre Dame at Kezar Stadium,
7-8,000.
Lax904

Post by Lax904 »

No need to pile on the rules and style issues, I understand why. I do wish the announcers would share a bit more background on the key players in the mid-level games; homegrown, US/Canada based, etc. Lots of googling impressive players. With that said, Japan is fun to watch.
@Lax904
“Cradle to the Grave w Kerwick and Carnicelli”
Podcast- Lax Allstars
relaxedfan

Post by relaxedfan »

Lax904 wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 4:54 pm No need to pile on the rules and style issues, I understand why. I do wish the announcers would share a bit more background on the key players in the mid-level games; homegrown, US/Canada based, etc. Lots of googling impressive players. With that said, Japan is fun to watch.
Agree on this one for sure! I find myself spending as much time trying to remember or figure out where a player is from then watching the games sometimes.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Lax904 wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 4:54 pm No need to pile on the rules and style issues, I understand why. I do wish the announcers would share a bit more background on the key players in the mid-level games; homegrown, US/Canada based, etc. Lots of googling impressive players. With that said, Japan is fun to watch.
there is plenty of reason to pile on the rules issues. and style issues.

as it seems, you may agree. as there's no time to get to what you'd like to hear about.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

1766 wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 12:21 pm

Agree with that. Which gets back to my point about Sowers. He can break a defense down more than anyone I've seen in this tournament. Schreiber has been getting more initiation from up top than Pannell has from behind. Putting Sowers behind would render Pannell inactive because he's not running out of the box. Just not sure he was the choice. You have plenty of experience with Rambo and McArdle to be leaders.
why wouldn't pannell potentially come out of the box? he jogs on... gets a shorty... and dodges him. from behind, wing, or wherever. the 6 v 6 has been conducted at a snail's pace. and then once we lose possession, the mids run off.
I guess that could work but if you are changing around your offense that much for one guy, maybe he isn't the guy. Both Oneill and Sowers can work from both up top and behind so running them out of the box doesn't fundamentally change the offensive structure. Possible sure, but is that ideal?
i didn't say they'd be changing the offense up for one guy. everything you're saying about sowers... plug pannell for sowers. sowers has been taking his matchup to the wing and behind. he did so from "up top" once? that i saw? on a line with o'neill and schreiber/kelly that works for spacing.

they've been content to get 2 of 3 of those guys on shorties. with the idea maybe that against a top defense a push on att/close d is fine. if sowers is going against graeme instead of rando ssdm, the results may surely be different for him.

sowers (and insert your favorite attackman here) have had a chance over the last several years to be the pick over pannell or whomever you might like. and they haven't taken it. there's a mishmash of guys, maybe because they're all good and it's what flavor you prefer.

Post by 1766 »

wgdsr wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 6:16 pm

i didn't say they'd be changing the offense up for one guy. everything you're saying about sowers... plug pannell for sowers. sowers has been taking his matchup to the wing and behind. he did so from "up top" once? that i saw? on a line with o'neill and schreiber/kelly that works for spacing.

they've been content to get 2 of 3 of those guys on shorties. with the idea maybe that against a top defense a push on att/close d is fine. if sowers is going against graeme instead of rando ssdm, the results may surely be different for him.

sowers (and insert your favorite attackman here) have had a chance over the last several years to be the pick over pannell or whomever you might like. and they haven't taken it. there's a mishmash of guys, maybe because they're all good and it's what flavor you prefer.
Your last statement says it all. Like I said, the US should win regardless of having Pannell on the team or not. It's my view we would have more firepower with Sowers on the field full time and another true middie running out of the box. I think the offense is being slightly mismanaged. Just my take. Obviously Danwowski sees it differently, and it appears you do too.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

I wouldn’t characterize it as several years. Sowers graduated from Duke in 2022 and not sure he had camped before that but I could be wrong.
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 6:33 pm

I wouldn’t characterize it as several years. Sowers graduated from Duke in 2022 and not sure he had camped before that but I could be wrong.
several seasons-ish? between pll and world's activities, they do more than likely ever.
- he played for usa in world 6's in 2022. okay, i did that to tweak you.
- summer tryouts
- pll season
- fall activities
- the rest after final cutdowns

not for nothing, while holding down a desk job for likely most of it. kudos.

the coach also knows him, so there's that familiarity. and he's on record as doing what sounds like more than casual pll scouting.

you don't often make the team without a good tryout(s).
sowers has been v good in his role. and he's probably pumped:
https://www.towntopics.com/wordpress/20 ... le-repeat/
Typical Lax Dad

wgdsr wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 7:13 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 6:33 pm

several seasons-ish? between pll and world's activities, they do more than likely ever.
- he played for usa in world 6's in 2022. okay, i did that to tweak you.
- summer tryouts
- pll season
- fall activities
- the rest after final cutdowns

not for nothing, while holding down a desk job for likely most of it. kudos.

the coach also knows him, so there's that familiarity. and he's on record as doing what sounds like more than casual pll scouting.

you don't often make the team without a good tryout(s).
sowers has been v good in his role. and he's probably pumped:
https://www.towntopics.com/wordpress/20 ... le-repeat/
“Years” was my quibble. Sixies isn’t lacrosse. It’s a sport played with lacrosse sticks and a lacrosse goal. Pickle ball isn’t tennis.
Typical Lax Dad

Hockey is being added to the Olympics!!

Typical Lax Dad

Basketball being changed for 2024 Olympics:

Return to “INTERNATIONAL MENS LACROSSE”