LaxAllStars

Re: 2023 world lacrosse men's championship

Post by LaxAllStars »

USA Coach John Danowski on selection process

https://podcasters.spotify.com/pod/show ... ds-e25oela
BigTom5

Post by BigTom5 »

LaxAllStars wrote: Sun Jun 25, 2023 11:13 am USA Coach John Danowski on selection process

Yeah I’ve listened to the podcast. I get veteran leadership, but you can get that by having one veteran attackman. You don’t need all three to fill that role. And him touting “roster flexibility” for the reason Sowers and O’Neill were selected is funny. Fact of the matter is that those two were the only two offensive players he let play both roles in the tryout process. You don’t think Wisnauskas couldn’t hammer those same left side time and room step downs from up top. You don’t think Gray and Shellenberger could feast on short sticks and bump down to attack if needed? It was all about who Dino wanted to give the opportunities to.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

BigTom5 wrote: Sun Jun 25, 2023 11:03 am This USA team is very underwhelming. Way too many legacy picks instead of picking the best players. Attack of Pannell, Rambo, McArdle would be a great grouping in 2019, but all are far past their prime right now. Best player is Sowers. He should be the focal point at attack but is instead running midfield. Guys like Wisnauskas, Ament, Brad Smith, Moore, Gray, Shellenberger and Costabile all come to mind as younger guys who could have brought more pop. Without the massive faceoff advantage they’d be in serious trouble.
+1
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

BigTom5 wrote: Sun Jun 25, 2023 12:24 pm
LaxAllStars wrote: Sun Jun 25, 2023 11:13 am USA Coach John Danowski on selection process

Yeah I’ve listened to the podcast. I get veteran leadership, but you can get that by having one veteran attackman. You don’t need all three to fill that role. And him touting “roster flexibility” for the reason Sowers and O’Neill were selected is funny. Fact of the matter is that those two were the only two offensive players he let play both roles in the tryout process. You don’t think Wisnauskas couldn’t hammer those same left side time and room step downs from up top. You don’t think Gray and Shellenberger could feast on short sticks and bump down to attack if needed? It was all about who Dino wanted to give the opportunities to.
Not totally convinced but very possible. Maybe concerned about being second guessed if they lose? I don’t see that happening but maybe.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

OCanada wrote: Sun Jun 25, 2023 12:52 pm

Not totally convinced but very possible. Maybe concerned about being second guessed if they lose? I don’t see that happening but maybe.
Was Holman injured.....not sure I pick Pannell or Conrad over Holman, they already have plenty SSMD's and A/M listed. I believe Holman has far more upside than the others I noted. Plus, the chemistry with Schreiber they had with the Archers.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
jersey shore lax

Post by jersey shore lax »

My line up would be Starting Attack Ament - Gray - Sowers and I would have Rob Pannell in the booth with Brendan Burke, I would have Rambo as team party planner and I would assign Quint food critic with no on air visibility.

Post by 1766 »

Danowski definitely made some odd choices particularly offense. Pannell has no business on this team at this point and the rest of the attack is somewhat underwhelming. Would love to see Sowers full time there with O'Neil. If you want to keep Sowers out of the box have Ament behind with any number of guys.

Obvious huge advantage in faceoffs but the one area they got right is defense. Close and rope guys are very good, as are the goalies. Let's be honest though. USA could probably field 5 teams that could have a shot at winning this title. Lacrosse talent has never been deeper.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

1766 wrote: Sun Jun 25, 2023 5:16 pm Danowski definitely made some odd choices particularly offense. Pannell has no business on this team at this point and the rest of the attack is somewhat underwhelming. Would love to see Sowers full time there with O'Neil. If you want to keep Sowers out of the box have Ament behind with any number of guys.

Obvious huge advantage in faceoffs but the one area they got right is defense. Close and rope guys are very good, as are the goalies. Let's be honest though. USA could probably field 5 teams that could have a shot at winning this title. Lacrosse talent has never been deeper.
My same argument as well, a couple posts back. They may very well be banking on the ole "Offense wins games, Defense wins championships". Shore up the defense, kill the clock, then win the faceoff, do the same with the clock when on O.

Anyone see Q's recent tweet?

Team USA (3-0) defense has been awesome: JT Giles-Harris, Jack Rowlett, Jesse Bernhardt, Danny Logan & Ryan Terefenko.

Offense a work in progress. USA historical scoring averages:

2023 - 9.3
2018 - 15.3
2014 - 16.0
2010 - 17.1
2006 - 17.6
2002 - 19.2
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

all of these guys are going for 3 or 4 points per game in their league. mcardle and pannell were #2 and #4 last year. mcardle was probably the best usa attackman in the league last year, and he, sowers, kelly and conrad led them to their champ.

it's a preference if you like someone else. if you're gonna have tryouts, then the team should be built on those tryouts as well as the team construction coaches want (inevitable).

my own issue with game 1 was when you have guys clearly not on their game, and it's not like you have a bony, inexperienced freshman as the backup, then... adjust. maybe they just liked sowers on shorties.

Post by 1766 »

Those are some stark offensive stats. But maybe that's the idea. Play D, ball control offense, face offs. Winning is obviously the goal but I think we' would all like to see what our most dynamic offense and attack would look like. Most would agree Sowers is the most dynamic player out there. He needs to be on the field all the time. If one of the other attack guys can't play out of the box, then they shouldn't be on the team.
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

1766 wrote: Sun Jun 25, 2023 5:16 pm Danowski definitely made some odd choices particularly offense. Pannell has no business on this team at this point and the rest of the attack is somewhat underwhelming. Would love to see Sowers full time there with O'Neil. If you want to keep Sowers out of the box have Ament behind with any number of guys.

O'Neill did not play well yesterday in the first half. He has to know his role in the offense, and that is his strong lefty shot. He might be able to do the big wand wave in college, but he that didn't fly last night against defenders his size.

Every defense has been very slow to slide to Pannell, and that's why Sowers should be back at X. Rambo will move the ball ("What's up, Boyle? We're just hitting singles."), but someone has to draw that first slide. US shooters have suffered because they're not getting good looks on the end of multi-pass possessions.

Post by 1766 »

Wheels wrote: Sun Jun 25, 2023 6:17 pm

O'Neill did not play well yesterday in the first half. He has to know his role in the offense, and that is his strong lefty shot. He might be able to do the big wand wave in college, but he that didn't fly last night against defenders his size.

Every defense has been very slow to slide to Pannell, and that's why Sowers should be back at X. Rambo will move the ball ("What's up, Boyle? We're just hitting singles."), but someone has to draw that first slide. US shooters have suffered because they're not getting good looks on the end of multi-pass possessions.
Agree with that. Which gets back to my point about Sowers. He can break a defense down more than anyone I've seen in this tournament. Schreiber has been getting more initiation from up top than Pannell has from behind. Putting Sowers behind would render Pannell inactive because he's not running out of the box. Just not sure he was the choice. You have plenty of experience with Rambo and McArdle to be leaders.
Kismet

Post by Kismet »

Did it ever occur to you all that they are not showing nearly anything if they don't have to....that is until the final likely against the Canadians or Haudenosaunee. They won't see the Haudenosaunee again until the finals (as they will have to beat the Canadians in the semis).

This method has been successfully used against them in the past by the Canadians multiple times.
Last edited by Kismet on Mon Jun 26, 2023 7:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

1766 wrote: Sun Jun 25, 2023 6:59 pm
Wheels wrote: Sun Jun 25, 2023 6:17 pm

Agree with that. Which gets back to my point about Sowers. He can break a defense down more than anyone I've seen in this tournament. Schreiber has been getting more initiation from up top than Pannell has from behind. Putting Sowers behind would render Pannell inactive because he's not running out of the box. Just not sure he was the choice. You have plenty of experience with Rambo and McArdle to be leaders.
why wouldn't pannell potentially come out of the box? he jogs on... gets a shorty... and dodges him. from behind, wing, or wherever. the 6 v 6 has been conducted at a snail's pace. and then once we lose possession, the mids run off.
JBFortunato

Post by JBFortunato »

Really impressed with Cooper Perkins and Nick Ossello on the US/England broadcast. Pretty close to flawless, Ossello has some really interesting observations. Would love to see them get work on ESPN college broadcasts.
mdk01

Post by mdk01 »

JBFortunato wrote: Sun Jun 25, 2023 8:18 pm Really impressed with Cooper Perkins and Nick Ossello on the US/England broadcast. Pretty close to flawless, Ossello has some really interesting observations. Would love to see them get work on ESPN college broadcasts.
Never happen. ESPN wants ACC adulation.
mdk01

Post by mdk01 »

Japan up over Denmark 21-3 in the 4th. Be interesting to see them take on more challenging opponents. Outscoring for the tourney 68-6.
laxfan1313

Post by laxfan1313 »

You have no "business" giving Rob Pannell the back of your hand. Tonight he is leading the offense against England, with 7 points (4-3). His leadership experience in International play is irreplaceable.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

laxfan1313 wrote: Sun Jun 25, 2023 8:41 pm

You have no "business" giving Rob Pannell the back of your hand. Tonight he is leading the offense against England, with 7 points (4-3). His leadership experience in International play is irreplaceable.
@ 0-3, England is having a tough time.
~Livy
oldbartman

Post by oldbartman »

mdk01 wrote: Sun Jun 25, 2023 8:36 pm
JBFortunato wrote: Sun Jun 25, 2023 8:18 pm Really impressed with Cooper Perkins and Nick Ossello on the US/England broadcast. Pretty close to flawless, Ossello has some really interesting observations. Would love to see them get work on ESPN college broadcasts.
Never happen. ESPN wants ACC adulation.
Actions speak louder than words. Ossello was one the first to throw a punch in the beginning of the PLL. He's a punk. He thinks his Insta posts are hilarious. ESPN can/should do better imo.

Return to “INTERNATIONAL MENS LACROSSE”