New England West 2024

HS Boys Lacrosse
Newestfan324

Re: New England West 2024

Post by Newestfan324 »

3rdPersonPlural wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 7:45 pm
tmast33 wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:50 pm HOTCHKISS 8-6 over Salisbury. Anyone who has actually watched Hotchkiss this season sees the leaps and bounds the team has taken. Just need more bodies in the program. Feels like a new culture has arrived,
Hotchkiss lost to Loomis by 9 goals. They lost to Brunswick by 9. Taft (probably by mistake) got to a 12 goal margin and I expect that they were mortified. NEWest One is usually pretty good about not invoking the mercy rule.

But they beat a top 4 NEWest1 team by 2? Really?

I’m not sure, or certain, or commenting based on facts. But I’ve seen Hotchkiss play and I’ve seen Salisbury play (both via internet) . This is my supposition:

I suspect that Salisbury fielded an underclass and mostly JV team against Hotchkiss and (as I said before) Hotchkiss has one or two Playa’s, so against a JV squad, they’ll stand out. Props to the Crimson Knights for giving their reserves an opportunity to play a competitive game with Varsity rules and refs and staff.

Salisbury did largely the right thing, as their JV squad held up pretty well against the Hotchkiss varsity – putting up 6 goals and only giving up 8.
The entire game is on YouTube. Looks like cam Kelly (5 star notre dame) and Chris alexis(Maryland) were both playing. Doesn’t seem like JV to me
JoeMauer89

Post by JoeMauer89 »

pcowlax wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 11:11 am As always, greatly appreciated justanotherperson. Nice to see Kent win a game. Their scores vs the West-1 teams this year speaks to the class of the various coaching staffs. I also do not remember Wick playing Delbarton. Though still a strong program, Delby the past few years has been down from what they were for a good 10-15 year run where they were right there with the top of the MIAA, St. A, Chaminade. As they has fallen back a bit, their schedule has been a little less ambitious. I also expect Wick to win that one reasonably comfortably.

Brunswick School since 2017 has always played the most ambitious OOC schedule out of all the NEWest Schools. They played St John's Prep Danvers in 23. Seton Hall Prep in 2019. New Canaan in 2019. This being compared to Deerfield who usually only has 2-3 big OOC games. Just an observation on my part.

Joe
Laxxal22

Post by Laxxal22 »

3rdPersonPlural wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 7:45 pm I suspect that Salisbury fielded an underclass and mostly JV team against Hotchkiss and (as I said before) Hotchkiss has one or two Playa’s, so against a JV squad, they’ll stand out. Props to the Crimson Knights for giving their reserves an opportunity to play a competitive game with Varsity rules and refs and staff.

Salisbury did largely the right thing, as their JV squad held up pretty well against the Hotchkiss varsity – putting up 6 goals and only giving up 8.
I doubt that take, but if that is what happened it’ll never happen again. I get dressing more guys than usual, but you still let the starters take care of business before emptying the bench.
justanotherperson

Post by justanotherperson »

pcowlax wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 11:11 am As always, greatly appreciated justanotherperson. Nice to see Kent win a game. Their scores vs the West-1 teams this year speaks to the class of the various coaching staffs. I also do not remember Wick playing Delbarton. Though still a strong program, Delby the past few years has been down from what they were for a good 10-15 year run where they were right there with the top of the MIAA, St. A, Chaminade. As they has fallen back a bit, their schedule has been a little less ambitious. I also expect Wick to win that one reasonably comfortably.
Your contributions outpace mine but much appreciated pcowlax. It looks like I spoke too soon about 2 things though:
- no major upsets - the HKiss win over SBury is probably the biggest in NEW1 this season?
- the demise of H'Kiss. It looks like its really their defense and goalie play has been solid with the exception of maybe the Taft gane, Maybe new coach is turning things around - they have a lot of commits on that team

I agree that Delbarton has always struck me as a powerhouse but seem to have a down year this year so your prediction should be spot on
Last edited by justanotherperson on Tue Apr 30, 2024 6:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
justanotherperson

Laxxal22 wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 11:22 pm
3rdPersonPlural wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 7:45 pm I suspect that Salisbury fielded an underclass and mostly JV team against Hotchkiss and (as I said before) Hotchkiss has one or two Playa’s, so against a JV squad, they’ll stand out. Props to the Crimson Knights for giving their reserves an opportunity to play a competitive game with Varsity rules and refs and staff.

I doubt that take, but if that is what happened it’ll never happen again. I get dressing more guys than usual, but you still let the starters take care of business before emptying the bench.
I would agree that someone would need to confirm this take. An average AOF squad had Salisbury 9-9 with just a few minutes left in the 4th as well and Salisbury had their full squad playing. Not to suggest that Salisbury is having a down year, but maybe just an uneven year. I will say the S'Bury FOGO will be really good and #6 (ND commit) is a really good player.

Unfortunately in next weeks rankings, this drops Salisbury down to Tier 2 with taft et al and Tier 1 is now compromised of only 3 teams (Wick D'Field and Loomis)
justanotherperson

JoeMauer89 wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:57 pm

Brunswick School since 2017 has always played the most ambitious OOC schedule out of all the NEWest Schools. They played St John's Prep Danvers in 23. Seton Hall Prep in 2019. New Canaan in 2019. This being compared to Deerfield who usually only has 2-3 big OOC games. Just an observation on my part.

Joe
And Wick will have a good game coming up against Ridgefield which I dont believe they have played in the past either.
Superlite

Post by Superlite »

Honestly its called geography. Outside of St John's Prep those other schools are close. Your coffee is still hot after your drive from Brunswick. Deerfield, Salisbury, Taft, etc, are not bordering strong lacrosse towns or in hotbed areas.
I commend Wick for adding Boys Latin in years past as well. But lets appreciate that its logistically easier to play any team in Fairfield county than it is Berkshire or Hotchkiss.
justanotherperson wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 6:42 am
JoeMauer89 wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:57 pm

Joe
And Wick will have a good game coming up against Ridgefield which I dont believe they have played in the past either.
justanotherperson

Yes. I would agree that geography plays a huge factor. No one wants an overnight or a very long travel via bus to play a game (kudos to IMG, Hill, Vandermont, etc because I dont know how they do it). That being said, as the concentration of lax strongholds spreads south and west, these games will be necessary and soon New England v Pennsylvania / Maryland may become more commonplace

Just for poops and giggles, I went back and looked at Wick's schedule for the last few years (I dont know if any of these were neutral sites) just to see if they were playing someone >50 miles

Home: Radnor, St Sebs, HIll
Away: Lville, Delbarton
Non conference but close: Darien, Ridgefield, Staples

Home: St Sebs, L'ville x 2, Hill
Away: Malvern, St Johns Prep Danvers
Non conference but close: Darien

Home: Georgetown Prep, L'Ville, HIll
Away: L'Ville, Seton Hall Prep
Non conference but close: Darien

Home" Lville
Away: Belmont Hill, Penn Charter, Lville, Malvern, Haverford
Non conference but close: Wilton, Darien, Ridgefield, New Canaan

2020 COVID
Away: Episcopal

Home: Penn Charter, Boys Latin, Lville, HIll
Away: Everest
Non conference but close: Darien, New Canaan
tmast33

Post by tmast33 »

HOTCHKISS 10 - Avon 9. Avon must have left their varsity home like Salisbury.
PhishFall97

Post by PhishFall97 »

Anyone else having trouble with the da stream?
pcowlax

Post by pcowlax »

Yes, not working for me. Anyone with a score?
coda

Post by coda »

Lville 18 Deerfield 8 final
PhishFall97

Post by PhishFall97 »

Thanks, coda!

Figured this would be another difficult game against the NJ power, given their body of work over the past two years, but was hoping for a little bit closer of a result for my boys in Green.

Anyone have commentary?

coda wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 6:37 pm Lville 18 Deerfield 8 final
coda

Post by coda »

PhishFall97 wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 8:10 pm Thanks, coda!

Figured this would be another difficult game against the NJ power, given their body of work over the past two years, but was hoping for a little bit closer of a result for my boys in Green.

Anyone have commentary?

coda wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 6:37 pm Lville 18 Deerfield 8 final
The stream came in late and it was 5-2 Deerfield early.. Deerfield actually did well at the faceoff, throughout the game. 2Q was a nightmare for Deerfield. I don’t have the numbers, but if they cleared at 40% for the game I would be shocked. Win faceoff backward and turn it over before midfield. Get a stop on defense and immediately turn it over. Deerfield didn’t get its 6th goal, until late in the 3Q. Time of possession was just so lopsided. The game was decided by the Lawrenceville ride

Stream link was messed up. You had to go to local live and hit CT and then look under Brunswick to watch, because it was at Brunswick
Sportin' Life

Post by Sportin' Life »

LC 15, Westy 9 Not much of a contest yesterday with LC firmly in control throughout. The Martlets tightened up the score in the 4Q vs the Pelicans' reserve defense.
Hotchkiss 10, AOF 9 The Bearcats have put together two solid wins in a row indicating that Coach Mastro is righting the ship. Their progress will be tested by DA on Sat.
Berkshire 19, Albany Academies 10 The Bears have been up and down this season. They've put up some big goal totals several times and played LC tough for four quarters. Can they steal one vs Taft on Fri.?
L'ville 18, DA 8 The Big Green has a very good chance to go undefeated in its remaining five games. Nobles should present the toughest test.
Taft 22, Kent 1 Rhinos also looking to run the table from here on out to salvage the season. LC will be their biggest test and they may get the Pelicans twice between their last regular season game and the Founder's League tourney.
Finish Strong
grelch

Post by grelch »

Watching the Choate v Salisbury game. Pretty even affair. It's 9-7 Salisbury going into the final qtr. Tbh, could go either way.

The announcers mentioned that last week a lot of the Salisbury team went down with an illness. Sounds like the cruds swept through the student body and took out a big chunk of the team. Sounds like a few may still be out.

Choate won it by 1. Chipped away at it from the 2nd qtr onward. Dominated FOs in the 2nd half. Choate's #10, Privateer I think his name was, had a big game. Good road win.
PhishFall97

Post by PhishFall97 »

5/3/24 Scores:
Brunswick 11, Ridgefield 8
Choate 12, Sailsbury 11
Taft 21, Berkshire 8

5/4/24 Scores:
Brunswick 16, Westy 8
Trinity-Pawling 13, Avon Old Farms 7
Loomis 19, Phillips Andover 11
Kimbal Union 13, NMH 9
Deerfield 14, Hotchkiss 10
Lacrossefan69

Post by Lacrossefan69 »

D2 Millbrook with a huge upset win over D1 Trinity Pawling 14-13 on 5/1.Game was an absolute battle Millbrooks first win over them since 2012. That Millbrook team is tough and has some guys. #11 on Millbrook Eli crystal dominated every ground ball and had 3 goals. Looks like he is committed to Franklin and Marshall. Total steal. Millbrook takes on Albany academy tomorrow night for a big tilt with the best of D2.
Lacrossefan69

Post by Lacrossefan69 »

#3 on trinity Pawling is also a killer. Had about 8 goals. Tp with a big win over Avon also last week.
another fan

Post by another fan »

Lacrossefan69 wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 8:40 pm #3 on trinity Pawling is also a killer. Had about 8 goals. Tp with a big win over Avon also last week.
Glad to hear about #3 on TP. That’s Luke Robinson, Cornell recruit. Very fast with a hard, accurate shot on the run.

Return to “HS BOYS LACROSSE”