Re: New England West 2024

Post by 3rdPersonPlural »

Lawrenceville - 7
'wick - 4

Halftime
Sportin' Life

Post by Sportin' Life »

A topsy turvy day for several NEW1 teams. Listed in order of most to least surprising.

Berkshire: 15, AOF: 5 Stunner of the day! Would love to know the last time the Bears beat the Winged Beaver by such a margin.

Hill Academy: 11, Taft: 6 A runner up stunner due to the lopsided score. Would expect a team with as many highly committed players as Taft has to muster more than six goals. Something is amiss in Watertown beyond being down two starters at close D.

CRH: 7, Westy: 6 (OT) Expected the Wild Boars to win handily.

DA: 9, Exeter: 6 See above.

Salisbury: 15, TP: 5 An expected result although thought TP would have more fight in 'em.

Brunswick: 13, L'ville: 12 A highly touted game that delivered as advertised although I thought the Big Red would prevail. Winning OT goal was a result of the goalie's inability to get back in cage after losing a runout to the endline. Coaches clearly should've called TO before the restart.

LC: 15, Hotchkiss: 5 Entirely as expected.
Last edited by Sportin' Life on Wed Apr 10, 2024 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Finish Strong
random observer

Post by random observer »

Sportin' Life wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 6:45 pm A topsy turvy day for several NEW1 teams. Listed in order of most to least surprising.

Berkshire: 15, AOF: 5 Stunner of the day! Would love to know the last time the Bears beat the Winged Beaver by such a margin.

Hill Academy: 11, Taft: 6 A runner up stunner due to the lopsided score. Would expect a team with as many highly committed players as Taft has to muster more than six goals. Something is amiss in Watertown beyond being down two starters at close D.

DA: 9, Exeter: 7 See above.

Salisbury: 15, TP: 5 An expected result although thought TP would have more fight in 'em.

Brunswick: 13, L'ville: 12 A highly touted game that delivered as advertised although I thought the Big Red would prevail. Winning OT goal was a result of the goalie's inability to get back in cage after losing a runout to the endline. Coaches clearly should've called TO before the restart.

Hill over Taft by 5 is not a stunner at all. I get that they have a ton of talent, but once you roll the balls out on the field, you've got to re- appraise based on the results:

-- Lost to a St. John's team that's been blown out several times and doesn't have any other good wins.

-- A one goal win over a Kiski Prep team that got steamrolled by every other good team they've faced.

-- Tight wins over St. Seb's and T-P who have been beaten handily by other top teams.

I'm not ready to rule out a turnaround because they do have a lot of good players, and the potential is there given how they gave Haverford all they could handle down in Philly. But until they prove otherwise I'm expecting more competitive but decisive losses to top competition.
Sportin' Life

Post by Sportin' Life »

random observer wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 7:16 pm
Sportin' Life wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 6:45 pm A topsy turvy day for several NEW1 teams. Listed in order of most to least surprising.

Hill over Taft by 5 is not a stunner at all. I get that they have a ton of talent, but once you roll the balls out on the field, you've got to re- appraise based on the results:

-- Lost to a St. John's team that's been blown out several times and doesn't have any other good wins.

-- A one goal win over a Kiski Prep team that got steamrolled by every other good team they've faced.

-- Tight wins over St. Seb's and T-P who have been beaten handily by other top teams.

I'm not ready to rule out a turnaround because they do have a lot of good players, and the potential is there given how they gave Haverford all they could handle down in Philly. But until they prove otherwise I'm expecting more competitive but decisive losses to top competition.
All valid points RO. I wasn't stunned that Taft lost but that it only managed to put up six goals. Previous to today, the Rhinos averaged 10.8 goals per game.
Finish Strong
Ox77

Post by Ox77 »

Re Brunswick v L’ville ending, i thought the rule was that if a goalie chases a shot to the end line, the refs have to give them a few seconds to get back. College might be diff than HS maybe, but I’m not sure.
PS no dog in the fight this is an honest question. I didn’t see the game, just the clip on Twitter.
3rdPersonPlural

Ox77 wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 8:51 pm Re Brunswick v L’ville ending, i thought the rule was that if a goalie chases a shot to the end line, the refs have to give them a few seconds to get back. College might be diff than HS maybe, but I’m not sure.
PS no dog in the fight this is an honest question. I didn’t see the game, just the clip on Twitter.
I know the NHSF rule: The goalie gets 5 seconds of 'whistle hesitation' to get to position before the ball is whistled back into play. I THINK it's the same in NCAA, but I'm not sure
coda

Post by coda »

Tough ending, but the FOGO for Brunswick decided the game. Lawrenceville didn’t win a faceoff until late in the 4Q.
random observer

3rdPersonPlural wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 8:57 pm
Ox77 wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 8:51 pm Re Brunswick v L’ville ending, i thought the rule was that if a goalie chases a shot to the end line, the refs have to give them a few seconds to get back. College might be diff than HS maybe, but I’m not sure.
I know the NHSF rule: The goalie gets 5 seconds of 'whistle hesitation' to get to position before the ball is whistled back into play. I THINK it's the same in NCAA, but I'm not sure
There’s no 5 second rule in college, and I’m almost positive they were playing college rules. Weird ending but the right call in the situation. Lawrenceville goalie was way too lackadaisical getting back to his cage.
coda

Post by coda »

random observer wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 11:18 pm
There’s no 5 second rule in college, and I’m almost positive they were playing college rules. Weird ending but the right call in the situation. Lawrenceville goalie was way too lackadaisical getting back to his cage.
I’ll defend the goalie. He was closest to the ball when it went out. He did hustle back. TLN put out a replay, which seems to confirm that. There is no 5 second rule, but that was an insanely fast whistle. To be fair officiating was horrible all game. Lots head scratchers that affected both teams
middleAgedBear

Post by middleAgedBear »

coda wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 6:51 am
I’ll defend the goalie. He was closest to the ball when it went out. He did hustle back. TLN put out a replay, which seems to confirm that. There is no 5 second rule, but that was an insanely fast whistle. To be fair officiating was horrible all game. Lots head scratchers that affected both teams
Neutral observer (via livestream), unfortunate way to end an entertaining, close game.
Laxxal22

Post by Laxxal22 »

Sportin' Life wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 7:37 pm All valid points RO. I wasn't stunned that Taft lost but that it only managed to put up six goals. Previous to today, the Rhinos averaged 10.8 goals per game.
My recollection of the Taft - St. Seb's game is that the Rhinos did most of their damage in transition or very early in the offense when things were unsettled. Their six v. six didn't generate a ton. Grain of salt being it was still March and neither team was what they'll be, but it was something they were going to need to work on.

What's up with AOF? From what I've seen on Twitter, between PGs and junior reclasses they're bringing in about 20 football players. Are they going full football factory at the expense of other sports?
random observer

coda wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 6:51 am
There was a Brunswick attackman already at the endline when the shot was taken (he comes into the frame late to pick up the ball on the clip making the rounds on social media) who was almost certainly closer to the ball when it went out. Regardless I will agree it was a game with a lot of questionable calls both ways; lots of EMO opportunities for a game that was relatively clean in my eyes. One call that stuck out to me was the very questionable shielding call on the last face-off of regulation that Brunswick won cleanly. Would've given them possession with a minute left when Lawrenceville was a man down.

Overall though it was a very entertaining game. Brunswick dominated face-offs until the last half of the 4th quarter when Lawrenceville started to scrap a few. The Big Red also mitigated the possession imbalance with their ride; it made Brunswick uncomfortable all game and they must have turned it over half a dozen times at minimum trying to clear the ball. Both goalies were very good and stole a few. Lawrenceville IMO was better in settled sets; their stickwork was immaculate and they put a lot of pressure on defenses by simply never making unforced turnovers. Brunswick also dangerous in six-on-six but a bit more feast or famine going to goal with abandon. They were better at generating offense in unsettled situations though, despite their woes clearing the ball.
coda

Post by coda »

Brunswick was closer to the end line, not the ball. Geometry has never been easy for lax refs. Not to mention they threw the ball in from out of bounds. All kinds of issues on that play.

I agreed on inference call. Tripped the LVille fogo, unintentionally, but a trip. The big hit was as clean from Brunswick. That gave LVille a man up.

But like I originally said, the fogo was the difference in the game. He slanted the field.
random observer

coda wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 9:04 am Brunswick was closer to the end line, not the ball. Geometry has never been easy for lax refs. Not to mention they threw the ball in from out of bounds. All kinds of issues on that play.

I agreed on inference call. Tripped the LVille fogo, unintentionally, but a trip. The big hit was as clean from Brunswick. That gave LVille a man up.

But like I originally said, the fogo was the difference in the game. He slanted the field.
Big hit was probably clean, but the reality is that is always called these days; that kind of hit has been litigated out of the game regardless of what the rule book says. Unfortunate because there really wasn't much wrong with the hit, but I'm generally more inclined to give the refs a pass on that sort of thing since an abundance of caution for player safety is understandable.

I get what you're saying about the geometry of the play, but I still think the attackman was surely closer to the ball. He was practically at the end line when the goalie was still in his crease; he'd have to have been way to the other side of the cage for it to be close, and I think he was only slightly to the other side of the cage when it went out.
coda

Post by coda »

justanotherperson

Post by justanotherperson »

random observer wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 7:16 pm

Not surprised by the W and L's yesterday but I am surprised by the margin of victories. I agree that Taft goals were less than I thought but the margins of wins for Salisbury and Berkshire are larger than i thought it would be and Choate winning by 1 was a surpirse - any one have intel; is Choate worse then we thought or is Westy getting better?
justanotherperson

Post by justanotherperson »

Laxxal22 wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 8:16 am
Sportin' Life wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 7:37 pm All valid points RO. I wasn't stunned that Taft lost but that it only managed to put up six goals. Previous to today, the Rhinos averaged 10.8 goals per game.
My recollection of the Taft - St. Seb's game is that the Rhinos did most of their damage in transition or very early in the offense when things were unsettled. Their six v. six didn't generate a ton. Grain of salt being it was still March and neither team was what they'll be, but it was something they were going to need to work on.

What's up with AOF? From what I've seen on Twitter, between PGs and junior reclasses they're bringing in about 20 football players. Are they going full football factory at the expense of other sports?
With a new coach, from what I have been told (whatever that is worth) I think AOF is all in on the rebuild and playing younger guys at the expense of some of the older guys that were brought in under the old regime. As for the PGs, 2 of them are football PG's, and one PG was maybe hurt? The game was closer in the 1st half but Berkshire scored a bunch in the 3rd and early 4th and mass subs were put in from what I could tell.
NEWestFan

Post by NEWestFan »

coda wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 9:04 am Brunswick was closer to the end line, not the ball. Geometry has never been easy for lax refs. Not to mention they threw the ball in from out of bounds. All kinds of issues on that play.
Just want to clarify that the end line is NOT the white line but the red/yellow line which is 5 yards deeper, which makes the restart inbounds and may also affect people's perception of the who's closer call. You can see the pylon on the far side. Unfortunately the cropped view doesn't show the wick attackman on the endline.
3rdPersonPlural

NEWestFan wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 11:10 am
Just want to clarify that the end line is NOT the white line but the red/yellow line which is 5 yards deeper, which makes the restart inbounds and may also affect people's perception of the who's closer call. You can see the pylon on the far side. Unfortunately the cropped view doesn't show the wick attackman on the endline.
Yes! Imagine that a skycam snapshot was taken the moment the ball went out of bounds and a digital tape measure is brought out to determine who was closest to the BALL at that MOMENT. That guy won possession. Worth noting, if the kids have their sticks extended in front of them, the tape only considers 'body' so the measurement is made from glove to ball, not stick head to ball.

To complicate this, a player who had stepped out of bounds at the moment of the snapshot is disqualified. Even a foot over the line (but on the ground) means he is a non player.

It ain't easy being a ref.....

Return to “HS BOYS LACROSSE”