ivy league 2024

D1 Mens Lacrosse
The Orfling

Re: ivy league 2024

Post by The Orfling »

And the boys in blue take down Denver 15-13 to make it a perfect Sunday for Ivy out-of-conference play: three games, three wins over ranked opponents (Yale over #1 Denver; Harvard over #13 Michigan; Princeton over #16 Rutgers). When you add in Brown's gutsy showing against Maryland and Penn's solid win over Villanova, that's a great weekend for the Ivy league.
pcowlax

Post by pcowlax »

Great win for Yale! I don’t think most people really thought Denver was the best team in the country but taking down #1 is always special. Great day for the league!
rasheed

Post by rasheed »

The Orfling wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 4:29 pm And the boys in blue take down Denver 15-13 to make it a perfect Sunday for Ivy out-of-conference play: three games, three wins over ranked opponents (Yale over #1 Denver; Harvard over #13 Michigan; Princeton over #16 Rutgers). When you add in Brown's gutsy showing against Maryland and Penn's solid win over Villanova, that's a great weekend for the Ivy league.
100%, and Brown should have won that game. They essentially dominated the entire game. It's early, but having two Ivys in the FF would not surprise me. I just wish my Cavs would start to click a bit more...but that's another thread. :lol:
Stiffler

Post by Stiffler »

As mentioned above, big day for the Ivies. Huge win by Yale. I agree the conference needs one more big win in the out of conference to get 2 max 3 teams in. C'mon Cornell!
mdk01

Post by mdk01 »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 2:02 pm
pcowlax wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 1:14 pm So far so good today, Harvard looking great
nice effort at a comeback by Michigan winning second half 9-6, but that 7-2 first half lead was too much.
Way to go Crimson!
Harvard goalie had an 80% save percentage in the 1st half and an 11% percentage in the 2nd
PizzaSnake

Post by PizzaSnake »

mdk01 wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 6:28 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 2:02 pm
pcowlax wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 1:14 pm So far so good today, Harvard looking great
nice effort at a comeback by Michigan winning second half 9-6, but that 7-2 first half lead was too much.
Way to go Crimson!
Harvard goalie had an 80% save percentage in the 1st half and an 11% percentage in the 2nd
And one stat to rule them all -- win or lose.
"There is nothing more difficult and more dangerous to carry through than initiating changes. One makes enemies of those who prospered under the old order, and only lukewarm support from those who would prosper under the new."
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

faircornell wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 5:45 pm Great Sunday for the Ivies. Some noteworthy performances during the week:

Offense:
Colin McGill, Dartmouth: (4,1) 5 points
Coulter Mackesy, Princeton: (3,2) 5 points
Matt Brandau, Yale: (2,3) 5 points
David Anderson, Yale: (3,1) 4 points
Sam King, Harvard: (2,2) 4 points
Peter Lapina, Dartmouth: (2,2) 4 points
Ben Smith, Penn: (2,2) 4 points
Michael Long, Cornell: (1,3) 4 points
Matteo Corsi, Brown: (3,0) 3 points
Cameron Brown, Dartmouth: (2,1) 3 points
Jackson Green, Harvard: (2,1) 3 points
Patrick Hackler, Yale: (2,1) 3 points
Jack Kelly, Brown: (2,1) 3 points
CJ Kirst, Cornell: (2,1) 3 points
Griffin Scane, Penn: (2,1) 3 points
Henry Bonnie, Dartmouth (1,2) 3 points

Face-off:
Machado Rodriguez, Yale: 14/21, 67%
Marc Phyllos, Cornell: 13/21, 62%
Dash Sachs, Brown: 17/30, 57%
Mitchell Meyers, Dartmouth: 14/28, 50%
Angelo Petrakis, Cornell: 6/12, 50%

Goalies:
Emmet Carroll: 16 saves, 67%
Michael Gianforcaro, Princeton: 14 saves, 67%
Updated for Sunday.
PizzaSnake

Post by PizzaSnake »

faircornell wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 8:17 pm
faircornell wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 5:45 pm Great Sunday for the Ivies. Some noteworthy performances during the week:

Offense:
Colin McGill, Dartmouth: (4,1) 5 points
Coulter Mackesy, Princeton: (3,2) 5 points
Matt Brandau, Yale: (2,3) 5 points
David Anderson, Yale: (3,1) 4 points
Sam King, Harvard: (2,2) 4 points
Peter Lapina, Dartmouth: (2,2) 4 points
Ben Smith, Penn: (2,2) 4 points
Michael Long, Cornell: (1,3) 4 points
Matteo Corsi, Brown: (3,0) 3 points
Cameron Brown, Dartmouth: (2,1) 3 points
Jackson Green, Harvard: (2,1) 3 points
Patrick Hackler, Yale: (2,1) 3 points
Jack Kelly, Brown: (2,1) 3 points
CJ Kirst, Cornell: (2,1) 3 points
Griffin Scane, Penn: (2,1) 3 points
Henry Bonnie, Dartmouth (1,2) 3 points

Face-off:
Machado Rodriguez, Yale: 14/21, 67%
Marc Phyllos, Cornell: 13/21, 62%
Dash Sachs, Brown: 17/30, 57%
Mitchell Meyers, Dartmouth: 14/28, 50%
Angelo Petrakis, Cornell: 6/12, 50%

Goalies:
Emmet Carroll: 16 saves, 67%
Michael Gianforcaro, Princeton: 14 saves, 67%
Updated for Sunday.
Penn vs. Princeton going to be a war of the keepers. Can hardly wait.
"There is nothing more difficult and more dangerous to carry through than initiating changes. One makes enemies of those who prospered under the old order, and only lukewarm support from those who would prosper under the new."
bearlaxfan

Post by bearlaxfan »

It was a good Sunday for Ivy, but Mich & Rut barely hanging in on top 20. It's a wild year, and don't know how much clearer it will be until the last weekend or two. And everyone knows conference play is :shock:
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

With the Ivy conference schedule re-shuffled, it seems that all teams have the same bye week as before; please correct me if this is incorrect. Keeping the same bye week makes sense in terms of scheduling the OOC game that week, but I'm still scratching my head a bit about the re-shuffle...

So, Thursday we'll have Dartmouth at Vermont. Go Big Green! Saturday we get undefeated Harvard at 3-1 Yale... not last, the regular-season grand finale, but first. Um, okay. Then on Saturday we get Brown at Penn. Don't sleep on Bruno! Cornell at Princeton is Sunday 2 PM for the ESPNU cameras.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

FannOLax wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 7:39 pm With the Ivy conference schedule re-shuffled, it seems that all teams have the same bye week as before; please correct me if this is incorrect. Keeping the same bye week makes sense in terms of scheduling the OOC game that week, but I'm still scratching my head a bit about the re-shuffle...

So, Thursday we'll have Dartmouth at Vermont. Go Big Green! Saturday we get undefeated Harvard at 3-1 Yale... not last, the regular-season grand finale, but first. Um, okay. Then on Saturday we get Brown at Penn. Don't sleep on Bruno! Cornell at Princeton is Sunday 2 PM for the ESPNU cameras.
I have been asking why the change. Do you know if the other sports schedules were shuffled?
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
joewillie78

Post by joewillie78 »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 7:44 pm
FannOLax wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 7:39 pm With the Ivy conference schedule re-shuffled, it seems that all teams have the same bye week as before; please correct me if this is incorrect. Keeping the same bye week makes sense in terms of scheduling the OOC game that week, but I'm still scratching my head a bit about the re-shuffle...

I have been asking why the change. Do you know if the other sports schedules were shuffled?
Yes, Mens Basketball was completely different this year from years past where we always had the 2 game weekends Friday and Saturday, and a home and home with your travel partner. This year, their were many single game weekends and Monday game for everyone on MLK day and also a few afternoon games that we never used to have. We still had a couple fri/sat weekends but not like we regularly used to have.

Gobigred
Joewillie78
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

Ivy Offensive Player of the Week: Matt Brandau, Yale: 5 points (2,3) against #1 Denver. The League noted that he had a strong fourth quarter and scored a tie-breaking goal.

Ivy Defensive Player of the Week: Michael Bath, Princeton: 6 CTOs vs Rutgers. 4 GBs. The League noted that the CTO tally was a Princeton record and the most of any DI defenseman thus far in the 2024 season.
The Orfling

Post by The Orfling »

League play starts tomorrow! Hoping for a slate of great games. I was listening to an Inside Lacrosse podcast which had Harvard coach Gerry Byrne on and he was extremely impressive (no surprise). One interesting thing is that he basically said that he and Andy Shay from Yale wanted to keep the Harvard-Yale game the last Ivy match-up for each team but that they were outvoted by other Ivy coaches who wanted to switch up the order of games. (Side note: will the order switch every year or is this the new order?)

Anyway, here are the Massey Ratings predictions:
  • Princeton at home over Cornell by 1 (61% confidence rating);
  • Penn at home over Brown by 5 (87% confidence rating);
  • Yale at home over Harvard by 3 (68% confidence rating).
I started listing Massey Ratings since my own predictions tended to be so poor (!). Re: Brown-Penn, if you saw the Brown-Maryland game it's hard to think Bruno would lose by 5 but maybe if they get the version of Penn that beat Duke (including a hot Emmett Carroll in goal). Princeton's one-goal edge is probably as the home team; I think Cornell will bounce back from the tough PSU game but Princeton has a lot of weapons and the best goalie in the league I believe. As a Yale fan, would love to see that result but I assume it will be closer and not sure who will win; face-offs and clearing and the possession game overall may be big as both teams are humming offensively.
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

Great post, Orfling! As a note, for coaches to outvote Coach Byrne on the scheduling of the rivalry games, it would mean that at least one of the Cornell, Princeton or Yale coaches would also have needed to vote for the changed schedule. Personally, I think that it's a shame to change the rivalries from the final game of regular season, but I'm sure that there were other considerations that are clear to the coaches and the non-rivalry teams.

As for Cornell/Princeton, you are correct as far as Massey's prediction goes. If you put Cornell in as the home team, Massey gives Cornell a one goal edge. This will be a tough one for the Big Red. Best of luck to the Princeton Tigers.
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

faircornell wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 6:37 pm Great post, Orfling! As a note, for coaches to outvote Coach Byrne on the scheduling of the rivalry games, it would mean that at least one of the Cornell, Princeton or Yale coaches would also have needed to vote for the changed schedule. Personally, I think that it's a shame to change the rivalries from the final game of regular season, but I'm sure that there were other considerations that are clear to the coaches and the non-rivalry teams.

It does seem odd to have Yale vs Harvard at this point in the season, and I'm pretty sure I expressed this view strongly before any 2024 games were played. Now, with Harvard undefeated at 6-0 and Yale having just knocked off #1 Denver, it seems like a good moment for these two ancient rivals to be facing off. Weather should be pretty good for mid-March, and I am looking forward to 1 PM tomorrow! I'm quite biased, but if this match-up is the last game of the ILT, I'd find that fitting.

I understand why Penn is favored over Brown, but a Brown win wouldn't shock me. I wouldn't know whom to put money on in the Princeton
vs Cornell game; looking forward to watching it on TV Sunday!
joewillie78

Post by joewillie78 »

If the Navy win over JHU, is any indication of the weekend we are in for, then buckle up, as NO RESULT in 2024 surprises me any more.

Already, my top 20 is in Flux and it's only Friday night.

D1 Lax is crazy.

Gobigred
Joewillie78
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

Some noteworthy performances after the games on Sunday:

Offense:
Sam King, Harvard: (5,3) 8 points
Matt Brandau, Yale: (0,8) 8 points
Teddy Malone, Harvard: (5,0) 5 points
Carson Kuhl, Yale: (4,1) 5 points
Ryan Goldstein, Cornell: (3,2) 5 points
Colin McGill, Dartmouth: (3,2) 5 points
Tucker Wade, Princeton: (4,0) 4 points
Sean Cameron, Princeton: (3,1) 4 points
Johnny Kelly, Yale: (3,1) 4 points
Chad Palumbo, Princeton: ((3,1) 4 points
Tynan Walsh, Penn: (2,2) 4 points
Spencer Wirtheim, Cornell: (0,4) 4 points
Logan Ip, Harvard: (3,0) 3 points
Thomas Brag, Yale: (3,0) 3 points
Hugh Kelleher, Cornell: (3,0) 3 points
Cam Rubin, Penn: (3,0) 3 points
Aiden McLane, Brown: (2,1) 3 points
Miles Boykin, Harvard: (1,2) 3 points
Quinn Moore, Dartmouth (1,2) 3 points

Face-Off:
Machado Rodriguez, Yale: 24/34, 71%
Mitchell Meyers, Dartmouth: 13/22, 59%
Andrew McMeekin, Princeton: 18/31, 58%
Dash Sachs, Brown: 9/17, 53%
Marc Psyllos, Cornell: 14/28, 50%

Goalies:
Emmett Carroll: 16 saves, 73%
Christian Barnard, Harvard: 19 saves, 53%
Mason Morell, Dartmouth: 11 saves, 52%
Matthew Tully, Cornell: 12 saves, 46%
Last edited by faircornell on Sun Mar 17, 2024 7:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pcowlax

Post by pcowlax »

Wow! Princeton with 5 minutes of whoopass on Cornell. Should be a great second half, but only if Cornell can win a FO, that was about 6 straight minutes of possession. Tully was on fire but let in 6 straight SOG at the end there
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Does anyone in this league play defense

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”