ivy league 2024

D1 Mens Lacrosse
pcowlax

Re: ivy league 2024

Post by pcowlax »

Tully shellshocked at this point. Agree with Hop, where are the bodies and sticks on hands on D for Cornell? This is too easy
masondixonlax

Post by masondixonlax »

woof, Princeton is so bad at clears
bearlaxfan

Post by bearlaxfan »

Well changing the rivalry games to the beginning of the season did start things off with a BANG!
laxfan1313

Post by laxfan1313 »

Ryan Goldstein a candidate for POW!
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

faircornell wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 6:52 pm Some noteworthy performances after the games on Sunday:

Offense:
Sam King, Harvard: (5,3) 8 points
Matt Brandau, Yale: (0,8) 8 points
Teddy Malone, Harvard: (5,0) 5 points
Carson Kuhl, Yale: (4,1) 5 points
Ryan Goldstein, Cornell: (3,2) 5 points
Colin McGill, Dartmouth: (3,2) 5 points
Tucker Wade, Princeton: (4,0) 4 points
Sean Cameron, Princeton: (3,1) 4 points
Johnny Kelly, Yale: (3,1) 4 points
Chad Palumbo, Princeton: ((3,1) 4 points
Tynan Walsh, Penn: (2,2) 4 points
Spencer Wirtheim, Cornell: (0,4) 4 points
Logan Ip, Harvard: (3,0) 3 points
Thomas Brag, Yale: (3,0) 3 points
Hugh Kelleher, Cornell: (3,0) 3 points
Cam Rubin, Penn: (3,0) 3 points
Aiden McLane, Brown: (2,1) 3 points
Miles Boykin, Harvard: (1,2) 3 points
Quinn Moore, Dartmouth (1,2) 3 points

Face-Off:
Machado Rodriguez, Yale: 24/34, 71%
Mitchell Meyers, Dartmouth: 13/22, 59%
Andrew McMeekin, Princeton: 18/31, 58%
Dash Sachs, Brown: 9/17, 53%
Marc Psyllos, Cornell: 14/28, 50%

Goalies:
Emmett Carroll: 16 saves, 73%
Christian Barnard, Harvard: 19 saves, 53%
Mason Morell, Dartmouth: 11 saves, 52%
Matthew Tully, Cornell: 12 saves, 46%
Updated for Cornell vs Princeton
joewillie78

Post by joewillie78 »

faircornell wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 7:52 pm
faircornell wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 6:52 pm Some noteworthy performances after the games on Sunday:

Offense:
Sam King, Harvard: (5,3) 8 points
Matt Brandau, Yale: (0,8) 8 points
Teddy Malone, Harvard: (5,0) 5 points
Carson Kuhl, Yale: (4,1) 5 points
Ryan Goldstein, Cornell: (3,2) 5 points
Colin McGill, Dartmouth: (3,2) 5 points
Tucker Wade, Princeton: (4,0) 4 points
Sean Cameron, Princeton: (3,1) 4 points
Johnny Kelly, Yale: (3,1) 4 points
Chad Palumbo, Princeton: ((3,1) 4 points
Tynan Walsh, Penn: (2,2) 4 points
Spencer Wirtheim, Cornell: (0,4) 4 points
Logan Ip, Harvard: (3,0) 3 points
Thomas Brag, Yale: (3,0) 3 points
Hugh Kelleher, Cornell: (3,0) 3 points
Cam Rubin, Penn: (3,0) 3 points
Aiden McLane, Brown: (2,1) 3 points
Miles Boykin, Harvard: (1,2) 3 points
Quinn Moore, Dartmouth (1,2) 3 points

Face-Off:
Machado Rodriguez, Yale: 24/34, 71%
Mitchell Meyers, Dartmouth: 13/22, 59%
Andrew McMeekin, Princeton: 18/31, 58%
Dash Sachs, Brown: 9/17, 53%
Marc Psyllos, Cornell: 14/28, 50%

Goalies:
Emmett Carroll: 16 saves, 73%
Christian Barnard, Harvard: 19 saves, 53%
Mason Morell, Dartmouth: 11 saves, 52%
Matthew Tully, Cornell: 12 saves, 46%
Updated for Cornell vs Princeton
As much as I'd love to see Goldstein win it for an incredible freshmen performance, EIGHT assists, with his 2 fellow attack starters injured and out is just an all world performance.

Brandau hands down.

Gobigred
Joewillie78
The Orfling

Post by The Orfling »

Great weekend for the start of Ivy league play -- two high-scoring classics (Harvard-Yale and Cornell-Princeton) and a competitive battle between Brown and Penn. Three teams emerge with the win (Yale, Cornell, and Penn), but the teams starting out at 0-1 showed plenty. Both Harvard and Princeton mounted impressive comebacks, and as Brown also showed in their recent Maryland game, they've got enough going on that you overlook them at your peril.

Throw in an exciting Ivy League basketball tournament and it was a good weekend to be an Ivy League sports fan.
ICGrad

Post by ICGrad »

The Orfling wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 9:09 pm Great weekend for the start of Ivy league play -- two high-scoring classics (Harvard-Yale and Cornell-Princeton) and a competitive battle between Brown and Penn. Three teams emerge with the win (Yale, Cornell, and Penn), but the teams starting out at 0-1 showed plenty. Both Harvard and Princeton mounted impressive comebacks, and as Brown also showed in their recent Maryland game, they've got enough going on that you overlook them at your peril.

Throw in an exciting Ivy League basketball tournament and it was a good weekend to be an Ivy League sports fan.
A nice Cornell-Harvard matchup in the ECAC Hockey tournament, too. Given the history between these two clubs, a pretty epic matchup and Harvard hung close throughout.

But a great opening weekend to Ivy League play. I didn't think that Harvard/Yale game was going to be topped, but the Cornell/Princeton game was pretty damn exciting. Yale/Cornell should be pretty amazing.
ctbagataway

Post by ctbagataway »

Based on this weekend, this could be an epic year in the league. Lots of parity, high powered offense, frantic paced up and down action-hard to ask for more. The Harvard-Yale and Cornell-Princeton games felt like watching playoff hockey as far as the compete levels. I’m sure Penn-Brown was similar, I just haven’t had a chance to watch it yet.
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

ICGrad wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 10:35 pm
The Orfling wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 9:09 pm Great weekend for the start of Ivy league play -- two high-scoring classics (Harvard-Yale and Cornell-Princeton) and a competitive battle between Brown and Penn. Three teams emerge with the win (Yale, Cornell, and Penn), but the teams starting out at 0-1 showed plenty. Both Harvard and Princeton mounted impressive comebacks, and as Brown also showed in their recent Maryland game, they've got enough going on that you overlook them at your peril.

A nice Cornell-Harvard matchup in the ECAC Hockey tournament, too. Given the history between these two clubs, a pretty epic matchup and Harvard hung close throughout.

But a great opening weekend to Ivy League play. I didn't think that Harvard/Yale game was going to be topped, but the Cornell/Princeton game was pretty damn exciting. Yale/Cornell should be pretty amazing.
The Yale men's lacrosse team has a slew of injuries, which will catch up with the team next weekend in Ithaca. Sure, I'd like Yale to win, but my head tells me that Cornell has the better healthy horses. Combine that with Cornell's home advantage, and the Big Red has the table set for a convincing win and ultimately hosting the ILT.
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

FannOLax wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 11:09 pm

The Yale men's lacrosse team has a slew of injuries, which will catch up with the team next weekend in Ithaca. Sure, I'd like Yale to win, but my head tells me that Cornell has the better healthy horses. Combine that with Cornell's home advantage, and the Big Red has the table set for a convincing win and ultimately hosting the ILT.
The big issue for Cornell is getting the ball to its high powered offense. Yale's FOGO Rodriguez has been putting up big numbers. Since the Ivy League likes to spread POW honours around between players, I wonder if his 70% plus winning percentage against Harvard will merit him that award this week or in the future. Brandau's 8 assists could get another POW as well.
mdk01

Post by mdk01 »

faircornell wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 6:31 am

The big issue for Cornell is getting the ball to its high powered offense. Yale's FOGO Rodriguez has been putting up big numbers. Since the Ivy League likes to spread POW honours around between players, I wonder if his 70% plus winning percentage against Harvard will merit him that award this week or in the future. Brandau's 8 assists could get another POW as well.
Harvard's FOGO isn't that strong.
coda

Post by coda »

Ivy is going to come down to defense. Penn seems to be the only team that plays solid defense. You have a lot of high powered offenses in the league. If Yale or Cornell can field a C+ defense, they will win the league.
The Orfling

Post by The Orfling »

I agree with both FannOLax and and faircornell.

As Fann noted, Yale is really banged up right now. Most attention has been on the three offensive starters out (Sharp at midfield, Johnson and Lyons at attack) but there's been a raft of defensive injuries also, including the two top LSMs and a starting close defenseman. (There's also a defender who played LSM in '22 and started at close defense in '23 who as only seen action in 1 game, indicating injury.).

I think in this upcoming game the potential path to victory for Yale would have to start with possessions and that means faceoffs, which faircornell highlighted. If Mac Rodriguez can keep things going and have a great day at the X, and Yale can clear efficiently and keep the turnovers in check, stacking some extra possessions would be their best shot at getting a "W" on the road. In this past weekend's game, Yale's offensive efficiency was just shy of 40% -- which is great -- but Harvard's was an eye-popping 45.5% (with thanks to Inside Lacrosse for the stat), so the extra possessions were a necessity, not a luxury. Another key will be avoiding penalties -- Harvard was 3 for 5 on EMO and scored two goals on a correctly called two-minute non-releasable for a hit to the head. I don't think that Yale had "dumb penalties" per se in the sense of chippy play, I think they were the type of desperation fouls that I recall committing myself in my long ago playing days -- and that's part and parcel of a relatively inexperienced defensive line-up trying to figure it out on the fly against great attack units.

Although I have long believed in the maxim that "indecision and regret are the twin thieves of time," I now do regret being cranky over the Penn State loss once I focused later on how many defensive guys were out on short notice (in that game the top SSDM was out but fortunately he's back on the field). I'm fully in the mode of "how are they keeping this going with bandaids and chewing gum" and just enjoying the success they've managed to have while managing my expectations.
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

Let's not forget that tomorrow there is Dartmouth at Georgetown (kudos to the Big Green for playing the Hoyas), and Penn visiting neighbors St. Joseph's. Go Dartmouth! Go Quakers!
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

Ryan Goldstein, Cornell Ivy Offense POW

Matt Dooley, Cornell Ivy Defense POW
joewillie78

Post by joewillie78 »

faircornell wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 2:37 pm Ryan Goldstein, Cornell Ivy Offense POW

Wow, Goldstein in his first game wins OPOW, and Dooley with his gutsy decision.

Clean sweep for the Big Red.

Gobigred
Joewillie78
The Orfling

Post by The Orfling »

joewillie78 wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 2:41 pm
faircornell wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 2:37 pm Ryan Goldstein, Cornell Ivy Offense POW

Wow, Goldstein in his first game wins OPOW, and Dooley with his gutsy decision.

Clean sweep for the Big Red.

Gobigred
Joewillie78
Well deserved — the game was an instant classic.
ctbagataway

Post by ctbagataway »

Can this week's games match the excitement from last week? We can only hope so.

Dartmouth kicks things off today traveling to Georgetown for a mid-week matchup (3pm). Dartmouth coming off a nice win over UVM and a bit of a trap game for Georgetown. But the Hoyas didn't play Saturday and I expect them to be focused. Georgetown by 5.

Next up Brown hosts UMass on Friday at 3pm. Brown State is in need of a get-right game. UMass won't be an easy out, but I'm looking for Brown to finally get their first victory with an OT win.

League action is on Saturday, with all of the games played at noon (unfortunately for the viewers).

Dartmouth hosts Penn. With Carroll averaging 60% and Lavelle shutting down the other teams' primary threats, I don't see where Dartmouth is going to be able to score enough to win this one. However, the weather calls for a wintry mix, so, like last year's Harvard game, if they get enough snow to make footing a challenge, anything might happen. I'm still going with Penn by 7.

Harvard hosts Princeton. Both teams showed tremendous heart in coming back from large deficits last week, but both came up short. The teams have lots of offensive firepower, so scoring shouldn't be an issue. Can Princeton fix their clearing issues? The winning team here will be the one that gets key defensive stops. Call me a homer, but I'm going with the Crimson by 3.

Cornell hosting Yale. Cornell's ssdm's couldn't stop Princeton's middies last week, and I expect Yale to take advantage. Even with a depleted roster, Yale is getting contributions from deeper in the roster. Rodriguez won't have as good a day as this past weekend, but he'll be at 60% or so which will help. Yale by 2.
The Orfling

Post by The Orfling »

ctbagataway wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 9:38 am Can this week's games match the excitement from last week? We can only hope so.

Dartmouth kicks things off today traveling to Georgetown for a mid-week matchup (3pm). Dartmouth coming off a nice win over UVM and a bit of a trap game for Georgetown. But the Hoyas didn't play Saturday and I expect them to be focused. Georgetown by 5.

Next up Brown hosts UMass on Friday at 3pm. Brown State is in need of a get-right game. UMass won't be an easy out, but I'm looking for Brown to finally get their first victory with an OT win.

League action is on Saturday, with all of the games played at noon (unfortunately for the viewers).

Dartmouth hosts Penn. With Carroll averaging 60% and Lavelle shutting down the other teams' primary threats, I don't see where Dartmouth is going to be able to score enough to win this one. However, the weather calls for a wintry mix, so, like last year's Harvard game, if they get enough snow to make footing a challenge, anything might happen. I'm still going with Penn by 7.

Harvard hosts Princeton. Both teams showed tremendous heart in coming back from large deficits last week, but both came up short. The teams have lots of offensive firepower, so scoring shouldn't be an issue. Can Princeton fix their clearing issues? The winning team here will be the one that gets key defensive stops. Call me a homer, but I'm going with the Crimson by 3.

Cornell hosting Yale. Cornell's ssdm's couldn't stop Princeton's middies last week, and I expect Yale to take advantage. Even with a depleted roster, Yale is getting contributions from deeper in the roster. Rodriguez won't have as good a day as this past weekend, but he'll be at 60% or so which will help. Yale by 2.
Excellent predictions and analysis, ctbagataway. Massey ratings has the following:

OOC games:
  • Georgetown with a 98% win probability over Dartmouth on Tuesday, predicted to win by 10;
  • Penn with an 85% win probability over St. Joe's in the Tuesday game, predicted to win by 5;
  • Brown with a 60% win probability over UMass on Friday, predicted to win by 1;
League play:
  • Cornell with a 57% win probability over Yale, predicted to win by 1;
  • Penn with a 93% win probability over Dartmouth, predicted to win by 7;
  • Princeton with a 57% win probability over Harvard, predicted to win by 1.
So Massey's algorithm thinks, as do you, that the closest games are likely to be Brown-UMass; Cornell-Yale; and Princeton-Harvard.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”