D1 Mens Lacrosse
Gobigred

Re: ivy league 2024

Post by Gobigred »

Think you mean P and Y at 5-1, Y #1.
The Orfling

Post by The Orfling »

Gobigred wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 12:31 pm Think you mean P and Y at 5-1, Y #1.
Yes, good catch!
The Orfling

Post by The Orfling »

CU77 wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 3:50 pm End of Q1:
Brown leads Princeton 3-0 :shock:
Dartmouth leads Yale 7-1 :o :o :o
Impressed with Dartmouth -- they came out loaded for bear (or bulldogs). Unfortunately the ESPN+ feed started in the second quarter with Yale down 4-7 so didn't get a chance to watch how things played out during that first quarter. From watching the latter part of the game and looking at the stats for the non-streamed part of the game, Yale made a goalie change that worked out, with Hugh Conrad coming on in relief; weathered the loss of its #1 FOGO (with #2 FOGO also out due to an injury from the prior game) and first-year FOGO Annunziata did well (over 50% on the day); the Yale ride made Dartmouth's clearing difficult (Dartmouth 20 for 27); and the Yale offense really zeroed in during the second half playing mistake-free lacrosse (only 4 second half turnovers) and making great shot selection decisions (39% shooting in the second half). At the point which Yale was down 10-5 with about 5 minutes left in the second half, they held Dartmouth scoreless for over 27 minutes during a 14 goal run to go up 19-10.
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

faircornell wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 7:11 pm Some strong Ivy League performances with Sunday included:

Offense:

Matt Brandau, Yale: (4,5) 9 points vs Dartmouth + (3,8) 11 points vs BU = 20 points
David Anderson, Yale: (5,0) 5 points vs Dartmouth + (4,0) 4 points vs BU = 9 points
Cam Rubin, Penn: (6,2) 8 points vs Harvard
CJ Kirst, Cornell: (5,3) 8 points vs Notre Dame
Johnny Kelly, Yale: (3,0) 3 points vs Dartmouth + (5,0) 5 points vs BU = 8 points
Sam King, Harvard: (6,1) 7 points vs Penn
Michael Long, Cornell: (2,5) 7 points vs Notre Dame
Ryan Goldstein, Cornell: (3,3) 6 points vs Notre Dame
Carson Kuhl, Yale: (1,2) 3 points vs Dartmouth + (3,0) 3 points vs BU = 6 points
Spencer Hughes, Brown: (4,1) 5 points vs Princeton
Tynan Walsh, Penn: (4,1) 5 points vs Harvard
Colin McGill, Dartmouth: (3,2) 5 points vs Yale
Griffin Scane, Penn: (1,4) 5 points vs Harvard
Patrick Hacker, Yale: (3,1) 4 points vs Dartmouth
Chad Palumbo, Princeton: (2,2) 4 points vs Brown
Nate Kabiri, Princeton: (4,0) 4 points vs Brown
Hugh Kelleher, Cornell: (3,0) 3 points vs Notre Dame
Ben Locke, Brown: (3,0) 3 points vs Princeton
Aidan McLand, Brown: (3,0) 3 points vs Princeton
Colin Burns, Princeton: (2,1) 3 points vs Brown
Cole Cashion (2,1) 3 points vs Dartmouth
Henry Bonnie, Dartmouth: (3,0) 3 points vs Yale
Luke DiNola, Penn: (1,2) 3 points vs Harvard
Brandon Ventarola, Dartmouth: (1,2) 3 points vs Yale
Marcus Wertheim, Brown: (1,2) 3 points vs Princeton

Face-Off:

Chris Aceri, Penn: 6/8 = 75% vs Harvard
Mac Eldridge, Penn: 14/22 = 64% vs Harvard
Nicholas Ramsey, Yale: 5/8 = 63% vs BU
Mac Rodriguez, Yale: 7/8 = 88% vs Dartmouth + 16/30 = 53% vs BU
Anthony Annunzita, Yale: 12/22 = 55% vs Dartmouth
Dash Sachs, Brown: 14/27 = 50% vs Princeton
Tyler Sandoval, Princeton: 8/16 = 50% vs Princeton
Vincent Gandolfo, Dartmouth: 6/12 = 50% vs Yale
Andrew McMeekin, Princeton: 6/12 = 50% vs Brown
Marc Psyllos, Cornell: 16/32 = 50% vs Notre Dame
Angelo Petrakis, Cornell: 3/6 = 50% vs Notre Dame

Goalies:

Hugh Conrad, Yale: 10 saves, 77% vs Dartmouth
Emmet Carroll, Penn: 18 saves, 60% vs Harvard
Connor Theriault, Brown: 14 saves, 54% vs Princeton
Michael Gianforcaro, Princeton: 13 saves, 50% vs Brown
Mason Morel, Dartmouth: 19 saves, 49% vs Yale
Jared Paquette, Yale: 15 saves, 48% vs BU
Christian Barnard, Harvard: 14 saves, 48% vs Penn
Wyatt Knust, Cornell: 14 saves, 44% vs Notre Dame
Sunday included, Brandau corrected. Quite a week!
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

I believe you meant Johnny Keib, Faircornell, as there is no Johnny Kelly playing for Yale.

Tough loss today for the Big Red, but the top 4 Ivies look very competitive nationally. Here's hoping that one or more from the Ancient Eight can play this Memorial Day weekend (knock on wood).
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

FannOLax wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 8:09 pm I believe you meant Johnny Keib, Faircornell, as there is no Johnny Kelly playing for Yale.

Tough loss today for the Big Red, but the top 4 Ivies look very competitive nationally. Here's hoping that one or more from the Ancient Eight can play this Memorial Day weekend (knock on wood).
Thanks, Fann! I'll make the correction. I think that this was "auto-correct".
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

Yale attackman Brandau gets Offensive Player of the week. Penn goalie Carroll gets Defensive Player of the Week.

I've seen plenty of posts about other potential Tewy winners, and there are lots of really good players, some excellent players, in the ACC, but Brandau... Whatever accolades Matt Brandau gets or doesn't get at the end of this season, it's been a real pleasure watching him play for Yale.

https://ivyleague.com/news/2024/4/15/me ... wards.aspx
Sportin' Life

Post by Sportin' Life »

FannOLax wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 2:03 pm Yale attackman Brandau gets Offensive Player of the week. Penn goalie Carroll gets Defensive Player of the Week.

I've seen plenty of posts about other potential Tewy winners, and there are lots of really good players, some excellent players, in the ACC, but Brandau... Whatever accolades Matt Brandau gets or doesn't get at the end of this season, it's been a real pleasure watching him play for Yale.

It feels like Brandau has been overlooked if not downright slighted in the Tewaaraton discussion over the last two years in favor of ACC players who get a lot of media slurps.
Finish Strong
ctbagataway

Post by ctbagataway »

If Brandau is being slighted, Harvard’s Sam King is being downright ignored. 2nd in the country in points per game (to Brandau). Not to mention 6 goals and an assist against a Penn defense that held the defending Tewy winner to a goal. Sam has been absolutely electric this year.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Sportin' Life wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 2:22 pm
FannOLax wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 2:03 pm Yale attackman Brandau gets Offensive Player of the week. Penn goalie Carroll gets Defensive Player of the Week.

It feels like Brandau has been overlooked if not downright slighted in the Tewaaraton discussion over the last two years in favor of ACC players who get a lot of media slurps.
Brandau has not played ACC level competition.
/sarc

ACC level competition = we're down to just ND now.
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

ctbagataway wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 4:43 pm If Brandau is being slighted, Harvard’s Sam King is being downright ignored. 2nd in the country in points per game (to Brandau). Not to mention 6 goals and an assist against a Penn defense that held the defending Tewy winner to a goal. Sam has been absolutely electric this year.
I've noticed Sam King's production in my weekly summaries. Aside from King meriting recognition, I do hope that the work that Coach Byrne has done to strengthen the program is also recognized by the Harvard Administration. As I have noted, I had the pleasure of attending the Jordan Field game against Virginia. The effort that the program has taken to recruit quality players, attract fans (including youth groups), make the game venue "fun" is really impressive.
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

faircornell wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 7:26 pm
ctbagataway wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 4:43 pm If Brandau is being slighted, Harvard’s Sam King is being downright ignored. 2nd in the country in points per game (to Brandau). Not to mention 6 goals and an assist against a Penn defense that held the defending Tewy winner to a goal. Sam has been absolutely electric this year.
I've noticed Sam King's production in my weekly summaries. Aside from King meriting recognition, I do hope that the work that Coach Byrne has done to strengthen the program is also recognized by the Harvard Administration. As I have noted, I had the pleasure of attending the Jordan Field game against Virginia. The effort that the program has taken to recruit quality players, attract fans (including youth groups), make the game venue "fun" is really impressive.
Does anyone know roughly how well endowed the Harvard program is? I agree that Coach Byrne appears to be building a good foundation. I've seen the Crimson in person twice this year, and they have been fun to watch. It would be a blow to Harvard and the Ivy League if a Big 10 or ACC school lured him away with bigger bucks.
BigTurn

Post by BigTurn »

FannOLax wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 8:52 pm
Does anyone know roughly how well endowed the Harvard program is? I agree that Coach Byrne appears to be building a good foundation. I've seen the Crimson in person twice this year, and they have been fun to watch. It would be a blow to Harvard and the Ivy League if a Big 10 or ACC school lured him away with bigger bucks.
Have it on pretty good authority the only place he’d leave is HC job in south bend.
ctbagataway

Post by ctbagataway »

Faircornell-absolutely acknowledge and appreciate all of the work you do each eeek compiling the outstanding performances of all of the IL student athletes (inducing Sam King). My comment wasn’t geared towards you in any way, more at the ACC-centric media. As for the Harvard program, then head coaching position is an endowed spot and the Friends group has fundraising has really expanded over the years. I can’t tell you what would cause GB to leave (I hope nothing!), but remember that his wife is a doctor and it isn’t easy to relocate a practice. She’s a terrific asset to the program as well, I might add. Comes to all of the games and brings great energy to the program.
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

ctbagataway wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 9:41 pm Faircornell-absolutely acknowledge and appreciate all of the work you do each eeek compiling the outstanding performances of all of the IL student athletes (inducing Sam King). My comment wasn’t geared towards you in any way, more at the ACC-centric media. As for the Harvard program, then head coaching position is an endowed spot and the Friends group has fundraising has really expanded over the years. I can’t tell you what would cause GB to leave (I hope nothing!), but remember that his wife is a doctor and it isn’t easy to relocate a practice. She’s a terrific asset to the program as well, I might add. Comes to all of the games and brings great energy to the program.
Thanks, CT Bagattaway! I didn't interpret your comments as any reflection on my compilations. I started doing this because when Jeff Teat was playing I thought that the Ivy League was not recognizing him enough. King has done a fantastic job for Harvard. On the invitation of a family friend, I attended the parents' get together after the Virginia game, and was really taken by how supportive that the parents' group was of the program.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

FannOLax wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 8:52 pm
Does anyone know roughly how well endowed the Harvard program is?
Here is the number they report, from a couple years back,

doubtful that is the full annual freight for lacrosse there.

Harvard University 976,821 Lacrosse
The Orfling

Post by The Orfling »

Sportin' Life wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 2:22 pm

I've posted a lot about Brandau in the Tewaaraton thread. I don't think he's been overlooked/slighted the past couple years; it's more been a function of three things: (a) Brandau's style is mostly "quiet" -- based on good field vision, quick release for goals/passes, and accuracy; (b) in 2022 when he had his best statistical season to date (99 points) there was a post-COVID logjam of great players including an Ivy Leaguer (Tewey finalists were Gray, Wisnauskas, Handley, Shellenberger, and Nichtern); and (c) in 2023 with the three-headed attack monster of Chris Lyons-Matt Brandau-Leo Johnson sharing the ball, Brandau's stats went down (70 points) (and there was an Ivy Tewey finalist, CJ Kirst).

I'm just happy this year such a great and unselfish player as Brandau is getting a lot of recognition. (And I'm glad that Sam King, who is terrific, is also getting more recognition.). Assuming Brandau finishes out the season on a relatively similar path to what he is on now (although honestly, crazy to expect somebody to stay at 7 points per game!), if he were not a Tewaaraton finalist I'd see that as a (sports) injustice. I still think the Tewey is very dependent upon post-season exposure/success so I could see PKav, Shelly, O'Neill winning (on the last point, if O'Neill played as well against every team as he does against UVA he'd be a shoo-in to repeat!).
The Orfling

Post by The Orfling »

Don't look now but the race for the Ivy League tournament is getting kind of interesting with Brown's upset of Princeton.
  • Brown: currently 1-3, has beaten Princeton head-to-head, still with Dartmouth and Harvard to play.
  • Harvard: currently 1-3, with Brown and Cornell still to play;
  • Princeton: currently 2-2, with Penn and Yale still to play.
Correct me if I'm wrong but I think here's a possible path for each team (not saying the only path though):

1. Princeton: controls their own destiny, if they win out (vs. two challenging opponents) they end at 4-2 and are in (and I think would clinch at least the #2 seed?);
2. Harvard: Needs more help -- if they win out to get to 3-3 I believe they need Princeton to lose both remaining games because Princeton beat Harvard head-to-head;
3. Brown: Needs medium help -- must win out to get to 3-3 and hope Princeton loses one of their last two games; if Brown is 3-3 in this scenario they'd get into the ILT because they'd hold wins over both Princeton and Harvard.

There's also a flukier possibility of those three teams finishing at 2-4? E.g. Princeton loses to Penn and Yale; Harvard loses to Cornell and beats Brown; Brown loses to Harvard and beats Dartmouth. In that scenario (not the only 2-4 scenario but seemingly the most plausible) then I think it would go to goal differential in the games in which those three teams played/play each other.

In an even flukier 2-4 scenario in which Princeton loses to both Penn and Yale, Harvard beats Cornell but loses to Brown; and Brown beats Harvard but loses to Dartmouth, I believe Brown would emerge with the ILT slot by virtue of having beaten Harvard and Princeton and thus going 2-0 vs the group.

Flukiest of them all, 4 teams at 2-4: Dartmouth beats Brown and Cornell (2-4); Princeton loses to Yale and Penn (2-4); Harvard splits by beating Cornell, losing to Brown (2-4); and Brown splits by losing to Dartmouth and beating Harvard (2-4). In that scenario I think it would go to goal differential.

Makes your head spin!
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

The Orfling wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 4:25 pm Don't look now but the race for the Ivy League tournament is getting kind of interesting with Brown's upset of Princeton.
  • Brown: currently 1-3, has beaten Princeton head-to-head, still with Dartmouth and Harvard to play.
Correct me if I'm wrong but I think here's a possible path for each team (not saying the only path though):

1. Princeton: controls their own destiny, if they win out (vs. two challenging opponents) they end at 4-2 and are in (and I think would clinch at least the #2 seed?);
2. Harvard: Needs more help -- if they win out to get to 3-3 I believe they need Princeton to lose both remaining games because Princeton beat Harvard head-to-head;
3. Brown: Needs medium help -- must win out to get to 3-3 and hope Princeton loses one of their last two games; if Brown is 3-3 in this scenario they'd get into the ILT because they'd hold wins over both Princeton and Harvard.

There's also a flukier possibility of those three teams finishing at 2-4? E.g. Princeton loses to Penn and Yale; Harvard loses to Cornell and beats Brown; Brown loses to Harvard and beats Dartmouth. In that scenario (not the only 2-4 scenario but seemingly the most plausible) then I think it would go to goal differential in the games in which those three teams played/play each other.

In an even flukier 2-4 scenario in which Princeton loses to both Penn and Yale, Harvard beats Cornell but loses to Brown; and Brown beats Harvard but loses to Dartmouth, I believe Brown would emerge with the ILT slot by virtue of having beaten Harvard and Princeton and thus going 2-0 vs the group.

Flukiest of them all, 4 teams at 2-4: Dartmouth beats Brown and Cornell (2-4); Princeton loses to Yale and Penn (2-4); Harvard splits by beating Cornell, losing to Brown (2-4); and Brown splits by losing to Dartmouth and beating Harvard (2-4). In that scenario I think it would go to goal differential.

Makes your head spin!
I'd be surprised if Princeton did not clock at least one more win this Ivy regular season.
Can Opener

Post by Can Opener »

faircornell wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 10:13 pm
The Orfling wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 4:25 pm Don't look now but the race for the Ivy League tournament is getting kind of interesting with Brown's upset of Princeton.

Makes your head spin!
I'd be surprised if Princeton did not clock at least one more win this Ivy regular season.
I suppose a gambling man would take the other side of your prediction. Princeton should be an underdog in both of those games and has assembled a fairly pedestrian record so far. They have only two wins over opponents with a winning record — Rutgers and Harvard. Even if they win one of their two final games, they will be rooting hard for Harvard to defeat Brown. The Bears haven’t lost to Dartmouth since Hector was a pup, so assuming that is a W again this year, their ILT will effectively begin when they travel to Harvard for a play-in game to end the regular season. That kind of late season run would be very “on brand” for Daly. If they beat Harvard, Princeton’s season would be over since Brown holds the head-to-head tiebreaker over the Tigers and Harvard, making them the #4 seed in either a 2-way or a 3-way tie at 3-3. Princeton’s loss to Brown was just a killer for them.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”