ivy league 2024

D1 Mens Lacrosse
joewillie78

Re: ivy league 2024

Post by joewillie78 »

faircornell wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 9:49 am
joewillie78 wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 9:33 am Why isn't Gianforcaro listed in the top OFFENSIVE performers? His stat line for a Goalie of (1,0) is awesome.

Gobigred
Joewillie78
I've added the goalie goal. I've not listed goalie goals before. As a Big Red fan, I'm still a bit scarred from watching the reoccurring video of Blaze Riorden scoring on Christian Knight being repeatedly played on various lacrosse social media posts over the years.
Ouch, your exactly right. That hurts.

Gobigred
Joewillie78
The Orfling

Post by The Orfling »

IvyBrown wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 9:43 am I think these are the updated standings through current.
What are the scenarios to play out here for IL tourney?

SCHOOL CONFERENCE OVERALL
Yale * 4-1 11-2
Cornell * 4-1 8-4
Penn * 4-2 8-5
Princeton 3-2 8-4
Brown 2-3 3-9
Harvard 1-4 7-5
Dartmouth 0-5 3-9
*clinched 2024 Ivy League men's lacrosse tournament berth
Overall seeding and the #4 ILT tournament are still to be determined.

Fourth slot in the ILT: Still up for grabs between Princeton and Brown, with more paths for Princeton. A win for Princeton vs. Yale and they are in (and with at least the #2 seed!); a loss for Princeton and they are still in if Harvard beats Brown. Brown needs to beat Harvard and for Yale to beat Princeton to get into the ILT (they’d have the #4 seed).

Seeding: In terms of what is most likely, Cornell has a very clear path to the #1 seed and hosting: beat Dartmouth (so far winless) on the road. If that is the case, then it’s up to the outcome of Yale’s game vs. Princeton to determine seeds 2-4:

1. Princeton beats Yale/Cornell beats Dartmouth: #1 Cornell; #2 Princeton; #3 Yale; #4 Penn.

2. Yale beats Princeton/Cornell beats Dartmouth: #1 Cornell; #2 Yale; #3 Penn; #4 Princeton or Brown (see above).

3. Princeton beats Yale/Dartmouth beats Cornell: there would be 4 teams at 4-2 (Pr; Pn; C; Y). The #1 seed would be between Cornell and Princeton and Cornell gets it based on head-to-head win over Princeton; Princeton would be #2 (win vs. Penn and, in this scenario, win vs. Yale); Yale #3 (win vs. Penn); Penn #4. So it would be Cornell #1 seed; Princeton #2 seed; Yale #3 seed; Penn #4 seed. {Corrected with credit to @nms}

4. Yale beats Princeton/Dartmouth beats Cornell: Yale #1 seed; Penn #2 seed; Cornell #3 seed; #4 seed Princeton/Brown depending on outcome of Brown-Harvard game.

Based on how everybody is playing (including injuries), my inbred New England sports pessimism and awareness of matchups as well as how much of a Yale-killer Princeton has been, if I were laying down $$ I think we’ll see scenario 1 (C #1; Pr #2; Y #3; Pn #4). (Of course, I’d prefer any scenario with Yale more highly seeded!)
Last edited by The Orfling on Mon Apr 22, 2024 7:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ivyman

Post by Ivyman »

joewillie78 wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 9:55 am
I've added the goalie goal. I've not listed goalie goals before. As a Big Red fan, I'm still a bit scarred from watching the reoccurring video of Blaze Riorden scoring on Christian Knight being repeatedly played on various lacrosse social media posts over the years.
Ouch, your exactly right. That hurts.

Gobigred
Joewillie78
That video even worse because Riordan ran right through Connor Buczek on his way to the goal :oops:
laxfan1313

Post by laxfan1313 »

It is often the case that the team with the best goalie wins the NC. In the Ivy League, Penn's Carroll has appeared to be the best goalie with his 60.1 save %. But it is noteworthy that Wyatt Knust has a 63% save % since he relieved Matt Tully during the Syracuse game. 100 shots on goal, 63 saves, 37 goals allowed. So if the Big Red encounters Penn during the Ivy tourney, Penn should have no goalkeeping advantage.
IvyBrown

Post by IvyBrown »

The Orfling wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 10:15 am
IvyBrown wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 9:43 am I think these are the updated standings through current.
What are the scenarios to play out here for IL tourney?

SCHOOL CONFERENCE OVERALL
Yale * 4-1 11-2
Cornell * 4-1 8-4
Penn * 4-2 8-5
Princeton 3-2 8-4
Brown 2-3 3-9
Harvard 1-4 7-5
Dartmouth 0-5 3-9
*clinched 2024 Ivy League men's lacrosse tournament berth

Fourth slot in the ILT: Still up for grabs between Princeton and Brown, with more paths for Princeton. A win for Princeton vs. Yale and they are in (and with at least the #2 seed!); a loss for Princeton and they are still in if Harvard beats Brown. Brown needs to beat Harvard and for Yale to beat Princeton to get into the ILT (they’d have the #4 seed).

Seeding: In terms of what is most likely, Cornell has a very clear path to the #1 seed and hosting: beat Dartmouth (so far winless) on the road. If that is the case, then it’s up to the outcome of Yale’s game vs. Princeton to determine seeds 2-4:

1. Princeton beats Yale/Cornell beats Dartmouth: #1 Cornell; #2 Princeton; #3 Yale; #4 Penn.

2. Yale beats Princeton/Cornell beats Dartmouth: #1 Cornell; #2 Yale; #3 Penn; #4 Princeton or Brown (see above).

3. Princeton beats Yale/Dartmouth beats Cornell: there would be 4 teams at 4-2 (Pr; Pn; C; Y). I believe that the #1 seed would be between Cornell and Princeton and would be on goal differential in the games between the 4 teams tied at 4-2, and in this scenario Princeton with a win over Yale would lock in the goal differential advantage. So it would be Princeton #1 seed; Cornell #2 seed; Yale #3 seed; Penn #4 seed.

4. Yale beats Princeton/Dartmouth beats Cornell: Yale #1 seed; Penn #2 seed; Cornell #3 seed; #4 seed Princeton/Brown depending on outcome of Brown-Harvard game.

Based on how everybody is playing (including injuries), my inbred New England sports pessimism and awareness of matchups as well as how much of a Yale-killer Princeton has been, if I were laying down $$ I think we’ll see scenario 1 (C #1; Pr #2; Y #3; Pn #4). (Of course, I’d prefer any scenario with Yale more highly seeded!)

Terrific break down. Thank you.
CU77

Post by CU77 »

Ivyman wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 10:43 am That video even worse because Riordan ran right through Connor Buczek on his way to the goal :oops:
I thought I was the only one who remembered that ... :(
PizzaSnake

Post by PizzaSnake »

joewillie78 wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 9:33 am Why isn't Gianforcaro listed in the top OFFENSIVE performers? His stat line for a Goalie of (1,0) is awesome.

Gobigred
Joewillie78
"There is nothing more difficult and more dangerous to carry through than initiating changes. One makes enemies of those who prospered under the old order, and only lukewarm support from those who would prosper under the new."
Chousnake

Post by Chousnake »

CU77 wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 4:08 pm
Ivyman wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 10:43 am That video even worse because Riordan ran right through Connor Buczek on his way to the goal :oops:
It happened in 2008 at home vs Ohio State as well. The OSU goalie scored a goal in the first round of the playoffs vs Cornell and Cornell lost the game pretty badly as I recall.
CU77

Post by CU77 »

I meant remembering that #33 tried to check Riordan, and was, um, unsuccessful ...
oldbartman

Post by oldbartman »

CU77 wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 5:52 pm I meant remembering that #33 tried to check Riordan, and was, um, unsuccessful ...
Where's "Patience" Muehleman when you needed him???
CU77

Post by CU77 »

faircornell

Post by faircornell »

2 x AA honors. 2 X NCAA champ. 1 X NCAA Runner-up. Deserves to be in the Cornell Athletics HOF.
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

CU77 wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 4:08 pm
The reason why this particular goalie goal is a disturbing thing to watch as a Cornell fan is that it represents a mismanaged season, where conditioning and player development were not addressed properly. The fact that two elite athletes (Knight and Buczek) were put in that position to begin with (exhausted, with too much reliance on the starting middies) is tremendously unfortunate. A few years ago, Riorden's goal was posted on Instagram, and Christian Knight responded with something like "why are you guys are still showing this?". Rant over....
The Orfling

Post by The Orfling »

Gobigred
Joewillie78
Gianforcaro's really got wheels -- he was flying. Fantastic athleticism. That might be the play you can make once in your career at home on senior day -- I am assuming even in "non-releasable 2024" somebody would try to level him next time. With goal differential a potential key tie-breaker Princeton was absolutely right to keep the foot on the gas pedal all the way vs. Penn but man, I would have hated being on defense watching the celebration on that one.
CU77

Post by CU77 »

faircornell wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 8:42 pm
2 x AA honors. 2 X NCAA champ. 1 X NCAA Runner-up. Deserves to be in the Cornell Athletics HOF.
Absolutely. Fellow starting defensemen Chris Kane and Bob Katz are already in.
laxfan1313

Post by laxfan1313 »

CU77 wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 9:20 pm
faircornell wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 8:42 pm
Absolutely. Fellow starting defensemen Chris Kane and Bob Katz are already in.
Chris Kane twice 1st Team AA, twice Schmeisser recipient. Bob Katz 3 time 2nd team AA. Frank 2nd team AA in 1977, honorable mention AA in 1978.
suffolk

Post by suffolk »

Sadly, what is happening today on Ivy League campuses overshadows any accomplishments on lacrosse fields.

Group of Yale students form a human chain to BLOCK a Jewish student from entering the University.
The chilling act of antisemitism echoes 1939, when Nazi’s blocked Jewish students from entering Vienna University- simply because they were Jews.
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

suffolk wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 10:20 pm Sadly, what is happening today on Ivy League campuses overshadows any accomplishments on lacrosse fields.

Group of Yale students form a human chain to BLOCK a Jewish student from entering the University.
The chilling act of antisemitism echoes 1939, when Nazi’s blocked Jewish students from entering Vienna University- simply because they were Jews.
It's all very sad. Whatever the "political" rationale, students are young people who deserve safety from physical harm, and emotional intimidation.
nms

Post by nms »

The Orfling wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 10:15 am

3. Princeton beats Yale/Dartmouth beats Cornell: there would be 4 teams at 4-2 (Pr; Pn; C; Y). I believe that the #1 seed would be between Cornell and Princeton and would be on goal differential in the games between the 4 teams tied at 4-2, and in this scenario Princeton with a win over Yale would lock in the goal differential advantage. So it would be Princeton #1 seed; Cornell #2 seed; Yale #3 seed; Penn #4 seed.

Once it is between two teams (Cornell and Princeton), why wouldn't it go to the head-to-head matchup, which was won by Cornell?
CU77

Post by CU77 »

Yes, I think that's right; the 4-way is broken in favor of Cornell and Princeton, who are both 2-1 against the other 3, while Penn and Yale are 1-2. Then Cornell wins the H2H over Princeton, and Yale wins the H2H over Penn.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”