Syracuse 2019

D1 Mens Lacrosse
GreyBear

Re: Syracuse 2019

Post by GreyBear »

DMac wrote:Checked those Kim boys out a little bit. Nice sized boys, a couple of stout looking fellows. Think they've got a bit too much of a wind up and taking a bit too long on their shot from out front, gonna have to tighten that up and get it off a little quicker, I think. Nit picking, I know, but those things make a difference at the next level. Really gotta like the potential there though.

A little tip for my fellow Cuse lax fans planning on heading to the Dome and doing a little tailgating this Spring, leave your cigars (all tobacco) at home. Got a third hand story the other day, thought I'd check it out for myself to see if it could be true. Guy was tailgating and smoking a cigar before a football game when a security guy came up to him and told him he had to put it out. Tobacco free environment at Cuse, ya know. Called the Dome myself, spoke with a nice and helpful young fellow. He checked with a couple of the big shots there and let me know that, yes, that is indeed the policy. Not much room for a situation like that to escalate into an ugly little affair, eh? Few beers and some jerk (he's just doing his job) telling you you can't smoke your cigar outside in a parking lot??? What the heck????? There's a lot of bitching about attendance in the Dome (minus hoops), but really, should it come as any surprise that people don't want to go? Think that's the final straw for me. Really don't like being treated like a parolee/criminal/suspect when I go there to begin with, I've done nothing that warrants that kind of treatment. Go buy your clear $3 suspect bag (which you can put your THC oil vape pen in and get through), don't bring a little mini purse, can't get in with that (spoke with a girl who was absolutely furious about that...took one to a game and was turned away...had her make up and girly stuff in it, she'll never go back), no stepping out at half time...well, if you want to get back in, anyway. You can probably count the number of home games I've missed over the past 3+ decades on one hand and I've never seen as much as a scuffle in the Dome or caused any kind of problem in there. If everyone else is willing to put up with this kind of treatment, so be it, but I'm not. My favorite little watering hole has become more appealing than ever...little sweetie hottie in a sun dress (no one wears one better than Nikki), much cheaper beer, can step out and come back in, smoke a cigar on the deck, etc. There's nothing enticing about that Dome...not to me anyway. Big screen TV in the bar wins hands down. Is there really any wonder why the attendance is down??

Yep agreed they're not finished! But, that being said, I hope you can see the Brooks comparison! I can see huge sweeping dodges with lasers from the outside like the old 44 gave us in the future. And, I'm only so high on them at this point, because you simply can't teach that size.
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

Henpecked

Post by Henpecked »

I know that Tucker Dordevic did not play in the scrimmages on Sunday, but I will say from an outsider's perspective, the most impressive guy on the offensive side of the field was Brad Voight. He was in great position all day and is a terrifc off-ball lefty attackman. Lightning quick and deadly accurate. Saw him play last year against Virginia and he looked great, but I am not sure he played all that much last season. My $.02
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

One of the regular SU guys here will know, but I think Voigt has been a man-up guy and fill-in fourth attackman for the last year or two. I'm curious who get the assignment in goal.
ohmilax34

Post by ohmilax34 »

seacoaster wrote:One of the regular SU guys here will know, but I think Voigt has been a man-up guy and fill-in fourth attackman for the last year or two. I'm curious who get the assignment in goal.
Yeah, he's played every season in some capacity. The last two seasons he got regular time since Syracuse rotates their attackmen pretty frequently. He has also been on man up.

Porter seems like the favorite in goal.
dense

Post by dense »

While Syracuse fans clamor for a Ben Reeves, Voight can be their Matt Gaudet. Good hands, quick release, accurate shot . He'll finally get to start and he'll score with the right players surrounding.

Jr Porter or soph Strang will be their goalie and indications are either can do a fairly good job.
nclaxin

Post by nclaxin »

Josh Zawada has flipped to Michigan...

https://www.insidelacrosse.com/recruiting/commitments
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

nclaxin wrote:Josh Zawada has flipped to Michigan...

What's going on up north? Why are so many high profile, highly ranked recruits switching? Are these lingering effects of the 18-7 beatdown in the Dome last year?
born2lax

Post by born2lax »

Maybe things haven't been changing...

https://www.salisburyschool.org/page.cf ... newsid=636
DMac

Post by DMac »

HopFan16 wrote:

What's going on up north? Why are so many high profile, highly ranked recruits switching? Are these lingering effects of the 18-7 beatdown in the Dome last year?
1. We all know "commit" means jack, lot of "decommits" out there at many programs (including Hopkins).
2. When you have the lore of Cuse you're going to attract a higher number of "high profile" commits, hence you'll have a higher number of "decommits".
3. The only lingering effects of the 18-7 beat down are with you and the little chubby you're still walking around with.

Sooooo close!!!
(click on at :52)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zbndWsFcI3w
Antonio114

Post by Antonio114 »

Word on the street is the reasons in Zawada's case were mainly financial. Michigan was able to offer him a full ride after a good chunk of their 2019s decommited and Cuse was not able to do so. We still have a very nice 2019 class so I'm not overly concerned, but the "lore of Syracuse" is certainly not what it used to be. Just like Hopkins, we have dropped out of the top tier of teams. Still one of the better ones but not one of the best. Living in the past certainly doesn't help and it's certainly not what attracts most recruits. Most kids commit here because we are one of the better lacrosse teams and I'm glad we've hung around despite dropping slightly.

I think we turned the season around fairly well after the Hopkins and Albany disasters in the dome, but it was overall a disappointing year. All we can say to Hopkins fans at this point is 1. Congrats on actually getting past the first round of the playoffs. 2. Good luck avoiding Duke next year as beating them seems to hard for you. 3. Thanks for keeping Rutgers out of the tourney each year because nothing makes me happier than a Rutgers fan's playoff rant.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

DMac wrote:
HopFan16 wrote:

1. We all know "commit" means jack, lot of "decommits" out there at many programs (including Hopkins).
2. When you have the lore of Cuse you're going to attract a higher number of "high profile" commits, hence you'll have a higher number of "decommits".
3. The only lingering effects of the 18-7 beat down are with you and the little chubby you're still walking around with.

Sooooo close!!!
(click on at :52)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zbndWsFcI3w
Was just some gentle bantering my man, no need to bring anyone's chubby into this. Good luck to the Orange this year.
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

Hey this is fun! I could wade in and point out how Jackson Morrill eschewed the JHU legacy to attend Yale while Gaudet flipped from Syracuse to Yale... but then, the Orange are the last team to beat Yale in an NCAA tournament game. And yes, good luck to both Hop and Cuse in 2019, two fine schools with amazing lacrosse traditions.
seriously?

Post by seriously? »

Lacrosse scholarships pale in comparison to colleges with generous financial aid. Think of splitting 12.6 academic money only over 50+ kids. The other perceived negative about Syracuse is you will have to pay tuition for 5 years while your talented son wears a red shirt. And at the end of the day, who really wants to play lacrosse inside the Dome, (which has a huge home advantage), smells funny, sound is funny.Where's the wind in your face? Rain? Snow? Located in the area of Native Americans, shouldn't there be at least ONE field outside? And for some insane reason, you can't watch scrimmages? What is THAT about?
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Long-stick on the ride behind the net, Schluter picks off the pass, Zulberti, goal. Awesome.

Anyone heard anything about Lucas Quinn's role now that he's a sophomore?
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
DMac

Post by DMac »

seriously? wrote:Lacrosse scholarships pale in comparison to colleges with generous financial aid. Think of splitting 12.6 academic money only over 50+ kids. The other perceived negative about Syracuse is you will have to pay tuition for 5 years while your talented son wears a red shirt. And at the end of the day, who really wants to play lacrosse inside the Dome, (which has a huge home advantage), smells funny, sound is funny.Where's the wind in your face? Rain? Snow? Located in the area of Native Americans, shouldn't there be at least ONE field outside? And for some insane reason, you can't watch scrimmages? What is THAT about?
You can't watch scrimmages because they're played in the new indoor facility which has no room for fans, the sidelines aren't too far from the walls, wasn't built to accommodate fans. When they were played in the Dome you could go watch them.
To answer your question as to who really wants to play in the Dome, a whole lot of people want to play there. You're sadly mistaken if you think the Dome is a turn off to those considering coming to Cuse to play. There's a great history there, 11 National Title banners hang from the "rafters", an aura, pictures of greats hanging on the walls, and perfect playing conditions.
You're exactly right, no wind in your face, no rain, no snow, no 10 degree temps either. As an Upstate New Yorker who has played in pretty miserable conditions (the last season I played drove me out of NY, literally...snow, snow, snow, and more snow. Wind, wet, cold...not fun to play in, not fun to go watch a game in) and as an *ex hard core Hobart fan (Boswell is outside) who hated the Dome and said much of what you're saying, I've come to love the Dome, and the people who play there do too. Get back to me in Feb and March and tell me again how crazy it is to play inside. It's the best for a good part of the year and it doesn't smell funny or sound funny, that's BS.
At least ONE field outside? Got some news for you, there are several outdoor lacrosse fields at Cuse....none on the Res though, all box in VERY nice arenas.
Yes sir, huge home field advantage, that's the word anyway. Well that's the word til Cornell beats them in there, or Hopkins, or Bryant, or Army, or Albany....etc. Home field advantage is home field advantage at everyone's home field, no?

*Am still a Bart fan too.
dense

Post by dense »

Upstate NY weather blows but Syracuse facilities are a plus. They have top notch indoor facilities for the wintry climate and outdoor fields for early fall and late spring. Playing in the Dome in front of 4-5 k is a unique experience and a lure. Every team enjoys a home field advantage but might benefit further if their coaches were less gentlemanly on the sidelines given that calls tend to go to the ref riders given the ESPN games ive watched.

Their recent decommits are due to early decisions that are being reversed likely aided by poaching and financial incentives. Syracuse is a solid school but expensive. Their roster is large so I doubt that large monies are doled out to a few to offset. The recent switches are being made to top academic schools not to Towson, Albany, Denver, Rutgers (no offense intended).

Those decommits are talented but may also have been looking at not getting on the field for possibly two years as they have several good young talents coming into their prime such as Refhuss, Trimboli, Curry, Dordevic Lipka, Dearth, Kennedy, Mellen and several other youngsters as well as a solid 18 recruiting class. The impact of these defections will be minimal in the near future but could be felt on offense in a few years if no restocking.

Expect the Syracuse team to be stronger in 19 though their record may not fully reflect given their sos and stronger ACC in general
Antonio114

Post by Antonio114 »

I would say the fact that the dome "smells funny" and doesn't match the feel of an outdoor game is more than cancelled out by the fact that Cuse actually gets the largest amount of fans to show up. Every year they easily beat out every other school for attendance, despite the underwhelming seasons recently. I believe Rutgers and Albany might come close but I'm not sure of the exact list. That funny sound you hear in the dome is the sound of thousands of fans cheering loudly. No other lacrosse venue projects the roar of the crowd like the walls of the dome, which I imagine is an exhilarating experience for the players. I get that young recruits could care less about Syracuse's legacy, but I'm surprised the vastly superior attendance numbers don't draw in more prospects.
sholokov2

Post by sholokov2 »

Are you sure Seriously? was not trolling or making a very bad attempt at irony?
dense

Post by dense »

Never heard the description smelly applied to the Dome but it was sweltering inside when I attended a football game there. No a/c despite Carrier Corp ( Carrier was a former Cornell grad who invented a/c) having naming rights but Syracuse draws huge crowds for hoops and usually near or at top of lax attendance stats while football attendance is mediocre. Believe renovations are planned there

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”