Hobart 2024

D1 Mens Lacrosse
FL-GO

Re: Hobart 2024

Post by FL-GO »

Fed Ted the shooting stats. He kept it more positive than I would, but I appreciate him asking the question.

Hoping we can get to .500. Just need to keep focusing on the fundamentals.
oldbartman

Post by oldbartman »

FL-GO wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 6:32 pm Fed Ted the shooting stats. He kept it more positive than I would, but I appreciate him asking the question.

Hoping we can get to .500. Just need to keep focusing on the fundamentals.
And here I thought that someone on the coaching staff was reading our posts......yeah.... I still think at least one does.
Bartfromboston

Post by Bartfromboston »

I do think he is right that we need to shoot our way out of a slump. But those shots cant be from 20 yards. We just need to keep dodging and cutting and the close shots will come. The games that I have watched - our SOG percentage being so low is just a function of forcing bad shots. If we fix that, we will be fine. This is a winnable game but Albany is good
oldbartman

Post by oldbartman »

The O needs to work on ball movement as well as off ball movement. Guys dodging excessively and then taking off target or easily saved shots won't win us games. Hope the team comes out on fire and stays that way. They'll need to, because Albany is desperate for their 1st win.
Laxgunea

Post by Laxgunea »

Ditto OBM on ball movement. The O seems to be swinging the ball around too predictably and mechanically. It's hard to say loosen up when they are still throwing the ball away, but that's the only way I can see them picking up the pace of ball movement. Of course, that depends on putting in the work in practice. I don't know about shooting our way out of a slump. As they say, practice doesn't make perfect, it makes permanent. If accuracy is off because of tightness, maybe another approach? I wish I knew.
I think Ted was very gentle. The NCAA team stats page is not kind to Hobart. https://stats.ncaa.org/rankings/ranking_summary In a 73 team Division, we are ranked in the 50s and 60s in many key areas. The exceptions are faceoffs and man-down. But faceoffs don't win games if you lose possession afterwards, and no one wins by having the best man down squad. I know we have a strong schedule, and 5 opponents are top 20 teams. But we can't be successful in the long run with these numbers.
man:down

Post by man:down »

Maybe this is lax 101 but one of the goals I caught last week was a big (predictable) wind-up from Delano from about 20 feet out that froze the off-ball D and Patterson (? #11) snuck in to the near pipe for the feed. pass and catch and score. Can we place an order for more of that?
oldbartman

Post by oldbartman »

+1 man-down

A continuing (continuous?) issue for our all even D is the back door is open all to often. Good passing teams have been exploiting this for a long time. This needs to be addressed now.
SMAIN

Post by SMAIN »

ZONE.......
oldbartman

Post by oldbartman »

According to the NCAA stat page, Albany is leading the country in man-down defense. They've only been called for 7 penalties in 4 games. Our man-up group is connecting at only a 33% rate, below last seasons 42.2%. Goals will be tough to come by, so the team needs to play with much better focus to get the W. They can do this.
FL-GO

Post by FL-GO »

This team looks awful. Terrible start.
catchnshoot

Post by catchnshoot »

Hobart is just overmatched again
Too much dodge/redodge with the ball carrier back to the ball and his teammates
Looks like HS play
FL-GO

Post by FL-GO »

We’re a program that’s basically a W for every team on our schedule at this point. Shot clock violations, turnovers at critical times. So many issues. Will be lucky to win 1-2 games rest of the way.
BigHoss

Post by BigHoss »

Not the ideal result clearly, but Albany is a strong group despite their record. Lost to a Penn team by one, and Penn beat Duke recently. I don’t think the season is lost, Hobart fought hard today, just couldn’t get over the hump.

I think a shout out to Wilson in goal is required. He answered a lot of question marks with an 18 save performance. Defensively, things need to be better, simple. Not often you allow 14 and win. Would’ve been more if not for Wilson, as well.

I see us battling through the adversity and getting into the A10 tourney. From there, anything is possible. Let’s not let the music die here, a lot to play for moving forward.
oldbartman

Post by oldbartman »

Wow!.. I said the team needed to start the game on fire. Guess what??? A waste of some good performances. It Wilson's best as a Statesmen. Without it, it could've been like Cornell. Datellas surpassed the 100 point mark for his career. Still way too many defense lapses. Attackmen left wide open 4 yards out, and bad ball watching. It was good to see Barthelme back and scoring. Herlihy looked rusty as to be expected. One of these days Bach's shots will go in. He is being more aggressive. What happened to Valent? Was it just a bad day, or is he injured? Speaking of injuries, yes I know we have our usual large group of walking wounded and the coaches are mixing and matching as best they can. That is no excuse for todays overall performance. Outshot, out GB'd, 16 turnovers to their 10, terrible clock management, and all around poor ball handling doomed a winnable game. Congrats to Albany on their first win. LeMoyne next. We can hope.
Ketch

Post by Ketch »

BigHoss wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 3:14 pm Not the ideal result clearly, but Albany is a strong group despite their record. Lost to a Penn team by one, and Penn beat Duke recently. I don’t think the season is lost, Hobart fought hard today, just couldn’t get over the hump.

I think a shout out to Wilson in goal is required. He answered a lot of question marks with an 18 save performance. Defensively, things need to be better, simple. Not often you allow 14 and win. Would’ve been more if not for Wilson, as well.

I see us battling through the adversity and getting into the A10 tourney. From there, anything is possible. Let’s not let the music die here, a lot to play for moving forward.
I appreciate your optimism. I just don‘t share it at this point. We are not a good team. We were already behind 3-0 by the time I turned the game on. Somehow we managed to get into the fourth tied and then got blown out from there by an obviously better team.
FMUBart

Post by FMUBart »

Agree Ketch…10-10 with 10 mins to go and Hobart lays an egg. Above my pay grade, but something’s missing.
It’s hard to get excited anymore—a big win(Cuse, Richmond , or even UMass) is needed to bring back some enthusiasm!
Bartfromboston

Post by Bartfromboston »

Today was tough to watch. Our offense is just rough to watch. The announcers were even making comments about how our offense wasn’t able to do anything against them. We have to try and get some play makers moving without the ball. Today especially seemed like we dont have a field of fast athletic kids when we have the ball. I think the entire game I saw one cut and pass in front of the goal - Peterkin scored I believe. I sense we are trying to run the same plays over and over with the same kids - it’s not working well. Maybe this is the best we have to offer which if it is then I’ll cheer the kids on to work as hard as they can to be better. Some mentioned earlier, we seem to be the most injured team in lacrosse - I couldn’t see all the players on the sidelines but Patterson, john Jude were out and it looked like we lost a SSDM as well. I’m sure the boys are frustrated more than us alumni.
catchnshoot

Post by catchnshoot »

Albany like many teams was simply better than us
I was in the stadium and there was nothing happening the first half
Team was as wandering around going through the motions
To their credit they came out of halftime much more energized
And played a better brand of lacrosse
Not great but better
Simply just not good enough
Nice job by the face off guys battling hard from start to finish
Our keeper kept this from being an embarrassment
Bartfromboston

Post by Bartfromboston »

catchnshoot wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 6:40 pm Albany like many teams was simply better than us
I was in the stadium and there was nothing happening the first half
Team was as wandering around going through the motions
To their credit they came out of halftime much more energized
And played a better brand of lacrosse
Not great but better
Simply just not good enough
Nice job by the face off guys battling hard from start to finish
Our keeper kept this from being an embarrassment
So you wonder if the coaches see what you saw? Why wouldnt they do something different? Like run attack through mid or shift people around. I am confused
Laxgunea

Post by Laxgunea »

Is it just youth at this point? Or poor execution? It's not like Brundage has never coached an explosive offense for us. On defense I'm more skeptical. We've been letting in lots of goals for a while now. Maybe time for a different system. SMAIN says zone ... at this point, why not? At least work it into an option for the A10.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”