Hobart 2024

D1 Mens Lacrosse
man:down

Re: Hobart 2024

Post by man:down »

Lots of bits an pieces here. Interesting comment on the broadcasting duo - hadn't thought of that. I have always appreciated that they seem to know a lot more than other school's "local" crew so it makes it seem more professional. But it is a good point that "professional" may mean more objective and more critical, when maybe what we want is the homers that other schools have. I believe that Ted Baker has a family member (a son) who follows and tweets about the team as well and he is very harsh.

As for the seniors, I believe that players get another year of eligibility if they did not get in to a game (or a certain percentage of games) in a given year. Several seniors fall in to that category (or because of a injury). Important to note that I have also heard that this is NOT how it works - and at other schools, kids are officially "red-shirted" immediately once they qualify. Hobart does not seem to do that, or at least make it public.
slog47

Post by slog47 »

I did hear somtbing about that interested to see how he translates to the women’s game completely different rule set the. Men’s could be interesting
statesmen2018

Post by statesmen2018 »

slog47 wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 11:59 am I did hear somtbing about that interested to see how he translates to the women’s game completely different rule set the. Men’s could be interesting
He originally never had intentions of coaching there but the players on the team asked him to after years of being their RA. Going to be interested to see how he transitions them from club to D1.
FL-GO

Post by FL-GO »

Not sure about the broadcast because I was in the air overseas with no wifi / access to the game. That said I think it’s ironic people are saying these guys are being harsh when every fall everyone says Ted is too much of a homer on the football broadcasts. Ted is a huge HWS fan and supporter, any criticisms he’d levy would be light in my experience of listening to him for almost 20 years.

His son who produces is a huge Hobart fan also. I find it hard to believe he’s “tweeting” otherwise. Honestly the only people I see tweeting about Hobart lacrosse is the team handle and me (@D3FBHuddle).

That said this team and coaching staff deserves criticism for bad shooting, play calling and the like. You can be a fan and still hold your favorite team to high standards. We knew it was a rebuilding year but this group has underperformed by a wide margin.

Let’s just hope they can beat St B’s. Thats not a slam dunk either.
FMUBart

Post by FMUBart »

I think they'll beat the Bonnies by 10+. Ignorantly unaware that Hobart was only working with 3 scholarships. Granted, financial aid has always be generous to lax players, but getting the full 12.6 will be a game changer for the program. Grabbing some Canucks and other high profile players will be much easier with scholarships vs "get us your financials and we'll get you financial aid". Further, financial aid should still be plentiful--especially if we can raise the $400mil.

Regarding going back to D3...What the uninformed need to know is this: Hobart will become like Ithaca, SJF, Naz, Clarkson, etc. No big time games to lure recruits & the Liberty League is a gauntlet(RIT, RPI, St Lawr, Union, Skidmore is much improved as is Vassar...Clarkson & Ithaca would compare well against Hobart in the recruiting trail as well.

We all(myself included) need to try and be patient as the scholarships ramp up...2 one goal losses make this season even more frustrating, but with the number of kids playing youth/HS lax, Hobart needs to beat the bushes -- along with us lax alumni steering kids to Geneva.

As far as Ted B and the broadcast, I think they do a pretty good job--although it is obvious Ted has very little lax background. He doesn't even know the rules that well and it is evident a few times each game.
oldbartman

Post by oldbartman »

leafybeef wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 10:29 am
oldbartman wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 9:46 pm
Bartfromboston wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 9:42 pm
FL-GO wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 9:19 pm Flip the table? For a coach who won’t go to the TP, all I can see is a mass exodus after this disastrous season.
not sure the transfer portal is necessary for us. We are a team that needs to play 30-35 kids. We have to win with the system, not the horses.
I think what Fl-Go is saying is that he expects Bart players to hit the transfer portal to leave. Btw, I've noticed that FY Robert Kinslow, who never played a minute, is no longer on the roster. Does anyone know what happened? PM me if you would rather....
Where in the world would they go? If you were a player who didn't see time this year I think a long hard look in the mirror would go much further for their career than leaving. Look at a guy like Peter Ashmore for example. He could've left and played at most places. He decided to work hard and was the defensive player of the year at one point. We need a lot more Peter's on this team.

I am sure every single player on the roster had at least a few offers to go elsewhere. It wouldn't be surprising to me if so inclined players reached out to programs that had shown prior interest. I don't know the rules in terms of the transfer portal and when a player is allowed to get in touch with another program. Losing players to the TP sucks imo. If you're not happy, it's not worth losing what is supposed to be 3-5 best years of your life to be miserable. Though LeafyB is correct. Doing an honest self evaluation should be done before making a potential worse move.
Ketch

Post by Ketch »

FMUBart wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 1:59 pm I think they'll beat the Bonnies by 10+. Ignorantly unaware that Hobart was only working with 3 scholarships. Granted, financial aid has always be generous to lax players, but getting the full 12.6 will be a game changer for the program. Grabbing some Canucks and other high profile players will be much easier with scholarships vs "get us your financials and we'll get you financial aid". Further, financial aid should still be plentiful--especially if we can raise the $400mil.

Regarding going back to D3...What the uninformed need to know is this: Hobart will become like Ithaca, SJF, Naz, Clarkson, etc. No big time games to lure recruits & the Liberty League is a gauntlet(RIT, RPI, St Lawr, Union, Skidmore is much improved as is Vassar...Clarkson & Ithaca would compare well against Hobart in the recruiting trail as well.

We all(myself included) need to try and be patient as the scholarships ramp up...2 one goal losses make this season even more frustrating, but with the number of kids playing youth/HS lax, Hobart needs to beat the bushes -- along with us lax alumni steering kids to Geneva.

As far as Ted B and the broadcast, I think they do a pretty good job--although it is obvious Ted has very little lax background. He doesn't even know the rules that well and it is evident a few times each game.
Excellent post.
oldbartman

Post by oldbartman »

man:down wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 11:43 am Lots of bits an pieces here. Interesting comment on the broadcasting duo - hadn't thought of that. I have always appreciated that they seem to know a lot more than other school's "local" crew so it makes it seem more professional. But it is a good point that "professional" may mean more objective and more critical, when maybe what we want is the homers that other schools have. I believe that Ted Baker has a family member (a son) who follows and tweets about the team as well and he is very harsh.

As for the seniors, I believe that players get another year of eligibility if they did not get in to a game (or a certain percentage of games) in a given year. Several seniors fall in to that category (or because of a injury). Important to note that I have also heard that this is NOT how it works - and at other schools, kids are officially "red-shirted" immediately once they qualify. Hobart does not seem to do that, or at least make it public.
Syracuse is infamous for redshirting players who have little or no chance of meaningful playing time that season. I can't remember Bart ever doing that. If I understand the todays rules, the seniors are done with their eligibility unless they had a medical redshirt. Sam Ward and Zach Delaney are eligible, and I'm sure I'm missing a few others. The big ? for them is it the right thing to do for their future? Most of of us would've gladly taken an extra year to play with their team. $$ is always a consideration these days.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Some folks don’t like names mention but reading between the lines it sounds like a FR A from Rivers will at a min be in the portal and I disagree I think the existing coaches need to sell themselves to that kid or others thinking of leaving. Bieber the worst case is we see a number in there maybe they don’t all leave but I doubt Amuroso is the only one for the foreseeable future. Everyone probably knows the kids at risk

Patterson it’s simple you overpay if need be and skew scholly allocation. He’s bare min the most talented kid we’ve had since Archer and possibly we could be looking back to Veltman who’s still the gold standard regardless of stats he did everything.

N soitoropolous
Stillwell
Evnin
Begina wouldn’t be D1 he’s super talented but like half of HS and part of college injured so healthy he could surprise but no one’s really sticking their neck out there most likely
Ditomaso
Schoefield
Belle Walker - haven’t heard of health problems but how a kid could make the u18 US team and never see the field sure at least merits a long story
Faoila

The bad ones would be choppy career Jrs w Redshirt options like Considine and Dino.
Galiana

I would almost expect at least 3-5 from above to test it.
Same sword they knight you they gon' good night you with
Thats' only half if they like you
That ain't even the half what they might do
Don't believe me, ask Michael
See Martin, Malcolm
See Jesus, Judas; Caesar, Brutus
See success is like suicide
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

eldeststatesman wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 10:16 am I am a huge fan of this team & program. However, I felt like it has gotten to the point where we politely ask for the home announcers to find a new hobby on gameday. Its extremely unprofessional and not fair to both Hobart College and the players to have the announcers single out players mistakes & criticize the play / coaching live on broadcast. Its just not appreciated what so ever and does our school, the program and players a huge disservice. I think the duo now has done a great job in the past, but thier tone along with the comments have become over stretched and are almost unbearable to listen to.

I understand this is something very small - but as we all discuss recruits, they watch these games and to have the announcers say what they do on a public forum like that is wrong. I'm excited to watch this group of seniors compete 1 last time. The future is bright in Geneva, keep moving forward!

Hip Hip.
I don’t agree on Ted. He’s family at this stage. Put more time in over 20yrs than any alum. He’s earned it and if you remember he was somewhat sterile and stood early on. This is born out of love. If you have a concern he’s an awesome guy who’ll discuss directly and his contact info is easy to find. Chat with him seriously he’s a good guy.
See Martin, Malcolm
eldeststatesman

Post by eldeststatesman »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 5:01 pm
eldeststatesman wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 10:16 am I am a huge fan of this team & program. However, I felt like it has gotten to the point where we politely ask for the home announcers to find a new hobby on gameday. Its extremely unprofessional and not fair to both Hobart College and the players to have the announcers single out players mistakes & criticize the play / coaching live on broadcast. Its just not appreciated what so ever and does our school, the program and players a huge disservice. I think the duo now has done a great job in the past, but thier tone along with the comments have become over stretched and are almost unbearable to listen to.

I understand this is something very small - but as we all discuss recruits, they watch these games and to have the announcers say what they do on a public forum like that is wrong. I'm excited to watch this group of seniors compete 1 last time. The future is bright in Geneva, keep moving forward!

Hip Hip.
I don’t agree on Ted. He’s family at this stage. Put more time in over 20yrs than any alum. He’s earned it and if you remember he was somewhat sterile and stood early on. This is born out of love. If you have a concern he’s an awesome guy who’ll discuss directly and his contact info is easy to find. Chat with him seriously he’s a good guy.

I do not disagree with anything you just said. However, openly criticizing players/coaches decision making while broadcasting the game is, as they say, 'out of purview' as a commentator I think is my point.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

eldeststatesman wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 5:42 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 5:01 pm

Hip Hip.

I do not disagree with anything you just said. However, openly criticizing players/coaches decision making while broadcasting the game is, as they say, 'out of purview' as a commentator I think is my point.
Maybe he would agree with you in part or totality. I wasn’t kidding bring it to him. Maybe he doesn’t realize he gets as into it at times. Maybe he’s representing alums or other people involved with the program and colleges with some comments and questions. I don’t know. I’m the one hand I think too much discussion in the abstraction or all collective doesn’t move things forward much and so it’s maybe a necessary evil to do it. On the other hand they’re still young and it’s tough to have out there.

I’m in between. Hinduism of our guys took a nasty dirty illegal hit on doorman’s unite then-it would be malpractice to not point that individuals behavior out. If it’s regarding a lack of achievement despite great effort that’s out of bounds.

But again I’ve found him to be a good guy who’s very open minded and his neurons are for the best for HWS. Toss it over to him.
See Martin, Malcolm
Laxbuck

Post by Laxbuck »

An outsiders take:
D1 Athletes commit to coaches > schools. That’s not to say the school isn’t heavily weighted but in the end the coaching staff is key.
So in Hobart’s case if a player committed to Raymond and is all in on playing for him, firing him would justifiably warrant the player considering his options. If the team culture is terrible, no idea if that is the case or not, then looking elsewhere is reasonable as well. Culture determines a player’s experience > wins/losses. Too much time commitment to suffer through a terrible culture if you have options elsewhere.
I haven’t listened to all the podcasts but I heard GR take more ownership in Hobart’s shortcomings after SJU than at any other time. Maybe he realizes you can’t blame the players as much as he has and expect them to stick around in the era of the portal
Bartfromboston

Post by Bartfromboston »

There is a bunch of suggestions on coaching changes. Did I miss something? I thought Raymond was signed for multiple years and brundage just got a new deal? As much as I would love to see Patterson in the orange and purple for 3 more years because he is really talented from what I have seen…….i would shocked if he returns. We have to hit the portal this year, we will have no choice.
oldbartman

Post by oldbartman »

Bartfromboston wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 9:59 pm There is a bunch of suggestions on coaching changes. Did I miss something? I thought Raymond was signed for multiple years and brundage just got a new deal? As much as I would love to see Patterson in the orange and purple for 3 more years because he is really talented from what I have seen…….i would shocked if he returns. We have to hit the portal this year, we will have no choice.
BfB, it sure sounds like you have the inside track on players and their thoughts. We're curious as to how many guys will hit the portal. Personally, I would be disappointed to lose anyone. There will be a lot fewer players in the portal this year as the extra covid year is done. Coach Raymond has said multiple times that he wants players who want to be a Hobart from the get go. Even if he does open up to bringing in someone, I would think it would be for at least 2 years, not just a 1 year rental. So BfB, any more insights you would care to share would be greatly appreciated from those of us not in the know. TIA.
Bartfromboston

Post by Bartfromboston »

oldbartman wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 11:49 pm
Bartfromboston wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 9:59 pm There is a bunch of suggestions on coaching changes. Did I miss something? I thought Raymond was signed for multiple years and brundage just got a new deal? As much as I would love to see Patterson in the orange and purple for 3 more years because he is really talented from what I have seen…….i would shocked if he returns. We have to hit the portal this year, we will have no choice.
BfB, it sure sounds like you have the inside track on players and their thoughts. We're curious as to how many guys will hit the portal. Personally, I would be disappointed to lose anyone. There will be a lot fewer players in the portal this year as the extra covid year is done. Coach Raymond has said multiple times that he wants players who want to be a Hobart from the get go. Even if he does open up to bringing in someone, I would think it would be for at least 2 years, not just a 1 year rental. So BfB, any more insights you would care to share would be greatly appreciated from those of us not in the know. TIA.
I wish I were more in the know - I really don’t have any inside information but I am following intently. I am listening to all of the comments, listening to the podcasts, watching the games I can watch (some in person). I havent seen a practice so dont know what happens there so that is an ingredient that I would love to have more insight. My analysis is that 1) we had a terrible year, 2) we were not able to make any adjustments with plays, players, etc so you can feel the frustration watching the games and sidelines and podcasts, 3) when you have players like Chris Patterson who are all Americans with multiple offers from other schools and you look at losing 15+ seniors and then look at the rest of the team and see just a handful of returning players who have seen the field - and then add the whole portal dynamic and little scholarship money and not the greatest academic program options (not sure what kind of student Chris is?) plus the number of injuries speaks to how hard the kids get worked —- someone mentioned it early, you are going to have people flee. I asked the question about coaching risk because that guarantees that you will have a lot of people jumping. And that would put us back multiple years. Now hopefully none of my observations are accurate and there is nothing here. Just look at the portal from last year - there were hundred of moves and I suspect that this trend will continue to grow so every mid major d1 should expect to see movement especially when you have a bad season. Last thing - all of the good programs are also losing lots of seniors and fifth years so this is maybe the best year to roll the dice on the portal. We MUST use the portal this year if we want to be competitive in 2025/2026
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Bartfromboston wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:19 am
oldbartman wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 11:49 pm
I wish I were more in the know - I really don’t have any inside information but I am following intently. I am listening to all of the comments, listening to the podcasts, watching the games I can watch (some in person). I havent seen a practice so dont know what happens there so that is an ingredient that I would love to have more insight. My analysis is that 1) we had a terrible year, 2) we were not able to make any adjustments with plays, players, etc so you can feel the frustration watching the games and sidelines and podcasts, 3) when you have players like Chris Patterson who are all Americans with multiple offers from other schools and you look at losing 15+ seniors and then look at the rest of the team and see just a handful of returning players who have seen the field - and then add the whole portal dynamic and little scholarship money and not the greatest academic program options (not sure what kind of student Chris is?) plus the number of injuries speaks to how hard the kids get worked —- someone mentioned it early, you are going to have people flee. I asked the question about coaching risk because that guarantees that you will have a lot of people jumping. And that would put us back multiple years. Now hopefully none of my observations are accurate and there is nothing here. Just look at the portal from last year - there were hundred of moves and I suspect that this trend will continue to grow so every mid major d1 should expect to see movement especially when you have a bad season. Last thing - all of the good programs are also losing lots of seniors and fifth years so this is maybe the best year to roll the dice on the portal. We MUST use the portal this year if we want to be competitive in 2025/2026
Patterson’s brother is a junior in the soccer team and their uncle played football at Hobart in the 70s so I think as long as he’s happy in campus broadly he’s more likely to stick than some may think.
See Martin, Malcolm
courtdog

Post by courtdog »

Why does everyone think this staff can't get it done? The move to the A-10 was going to be very tough for a school like Hobart. Do you think given time with the scholarships, it will get better or do you actually think a better HC is in need? I just find it hard to believe a staff that has gone to the NCAA tournament in a different conference now just doesn't know how to coach? Is the problem recruiting?
leafybeef

Post by leafybeef »

courtdog wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:40 pm Why does everyone think this staff can't get it done? The move to the A-10 was going to be very tough for a school like Hobart. Do you think given time with the scholarships, it will get better or do you actually think a better HC is in need? I just find it hard to believe a staff that has gone to the NCAA tournament in a different conference now just doesn't know how to coach? Is the problem recruiting?
I think they can get it done. Bring back a guy like Adam Hardy or Peter Ashmore for recruiting and I think they get back on track.
FMUBart

Post by FMUBart »

courtdog wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:40 pm Why does everyone think this staff can't get it done? The move to the A-10 was going to be very tough for a school like Hobart. Do you think given time with the scholarships, it will get better or do you actually think a better HC is in need? I just find it hard to believe a staff that has gone to the NCAA tournament in a different conference now just doesn't know how to coach? Is the problem recruiting?
Yes, recruiting...namely, not recruiting SIZE. Need more of the Chad Bach/John Jude Considine/John Herlihy type athlete; don't need more skeeter bugs--especially @ SSDM! Hobart's midfield D and offball D has been weak.

Not too concerned about losing guys to the TP..a bad year swings both ways--guys look to leave, but opposing coaches aren't too eager to grab guys from a 4 win team..

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”